Menu

My son's growth spurt is amazing

kayleelew

My 17-year-old measured measured 6'4" at the doctor this morning. He would have been lucky to scrape 5'6" about two years ago. He had always been one of the shortest boys his age, which makes it so surreal. He's like a completely different person now. He wears a size 15 shoe and eats like a team of horses. (Not cheap, by the way.)

Now I'm wondering if he's going to keep growing in college. Is he going to come home for break with clothes that don't fit anymore? LOL.

• Like 15

:thumbup: Whoa momma, what are you feeding that guy!?

I have a 16 year old and it makes me wonder if we might get a little more height yet!  My kid is about 5'8.5" (we like to generously call him 5'9" LOL).  He was SUPER short through about age 14.  He now blends with other teens though!  :)

My 17-year-old measured measured 6'4" at the doctor this morning. He would have been lucky to scrape 5'6" about two years ago. He had always been one of the shortest boys his age, which makes it so surreal. He's like a completely different person now. He wears a size 15 shoe and eats like a team of horses. (Not cheap, by the way.)

Now I'm wondering if he's going to keep growing in college. Is he going to come home for break with clothes that don't fit anymore? LOL.

Awww.  That is a fast growth spurt!  My boy is 6'3 and will be 17 in a month or so. I kind of thought he might be finished with the height, but maybe not. 

Wow that's amazing and I thought my son had a big growth spurt. He grew a foot in high school. He was barely 5 feet as a freshman and was just under 6 feet at graduation. I still feel like he is growing a bit at 18. The doctors call him 6 feet but he is actually 5 -11 3/4. He's hoping for that extra quarter inch lol.

Last year my son was shorter and smaller than all the other boys. This year, I've had parents say they don't recognize him, he's so tall. He still has some growing to do (doctor says he hasn't started changing yet), but oh my goodness, I feel like every time I blink, he's a different, taller person.

• Like 1

Wow, that is quite a push.  Mine only acquired about three inches that year, but was always tall to begin with. 

That's HUGE!  Size 15 shoe...wow!

What a crazy thing to watch!  It would have been fun to do a picture a day next to the fridge or something, to catalog his growth!!

I have hope for my 13 year old son. He is maybe 5' tall. I am only 5'2".  His dad is 5'11".  He has one sister who is 5'7", one sister who is 5'3" and one sister who is maybe a half an inch taller than he is.  It seems that our kids are getting progressively shorter....  so, keeping my fingers crossed for him...

That is amazing! I wish it worked that way for girls. My poor 13 year old is only just over 5'0. :( I would love for her to grow more, but it isn't looking good. So cool for your DS though!

My 15 year old dd is maybe 5'1".  But I don't think she's quite that tall..  She is adorable and doesn't seem to mind being small - it makes it easier to be the flyer for cheerleading.  I do wish she was a little taller, though.

• Like 2

My 15 year old dd is maybe 5'1". But I don't think she's quite that tall.. She is adorable and doesn't seem to mind being small - it makes it easier to be the flyer for cheerleading. I do wish she was a little taller, though.

My daughter might be 5'1... maybe. She is a dancer and could really benefit from being taller. I'm so sad for her and wonder if I should have pursued interventions earlier. I am 5'8" and her Dad is 6'0"!

• Like 1

That is amazing! I wish it worked that way for girls. My poor 13 year old is only just over 5'0. :( I would love for her to grow more, but it isn't looking good. So cool for your DS though!

It can work that way for girls.  I went from 5'1" in middle school (all the way through 8th grade, I'd just kind of stalled out growing), and then had a big growth spurt the next year, to about 5'10".  Then a few more years of slow growth got me to the 6'1" I am now.  That's about the height predicted for me based on my parents' heights.

• Like 1

Mine went through his growth spurt between 14 and 15.  In 10 months he grew 9 inches and went up 4 shoe sizes.  That was not a good year for the clothing budget and frankly he wore a lot of ill fitting clothes because I couldn't even find anything to fit (We still struggle with this because he wears a 30x36 and even specially ordered they are hard to find). Good news is that his shoe size hasn't changed a bit and he only grew another 2 inches over the next year and half and has now been stable for 3 years.  I'm thinking he his done.  For you I wouldn't be surprised to see a small change in height but I would guess he's pretty close to being done.

My 15 year old dd is maybe 5'1".  But I don't think she's quite that tall..  She is adorable and doesn't seem to mind being small - it makes it easier to be the flyer for cheerleading.  I do wish she was a little taller, though.

My middle daughter entered puberty early. I took her into her doctor on her 9th birthday to confirm she was starting puberty. I wailed, "but she's only 4'6"!" The doctor assured me she would get a growth spurt to go with it. I was just hoping she would make it to 5'0". She grew 7 inches in 2 years, plus a little more after that and is just about 5'2". I was just so happy that she made it over 5'0".

• Like 2

Anyone know where to buy jeans for such children?

What waist size and inseam?

DS13 has a 28 inch waist and 33 inch inseam; the only jeans I could find were Seven for All Mankind and Hudson. I was not happy about the cost, but managed to find a few pairs on sale. I'm sure cheaper options exist, but DS13 has sensory issues and needs stretch fabrics.

• Like 1

I've heard doctors say that the later the growth spurt, the taller they end up. Not sure if that is true, but was true of my ex, and my oldest son. both grew so fast they ended up with stretch marks on their lower backs because the skin couldn't keep up with their new height!

DS13 has a 28 inch waist and 33 inch inseam; the only jeans I could find were Seven for All Mankind and Hudson. I was not happy about the cost, but managed to find a few pairs on sale. I'm sure cheaper options exist, but DS13 has sensory issues and needs stretch fabrics.

Yup 28 waist &33-34 inseam. I have bean poles! I will look into Seven & All Mankind. Thanks!

Edited by MyLittleBears
  • Like 1

Dd13 has never had a really noticeable growth spurt. She has grown a fairly steady 3-4 inches per year since birth. She is about 5'10 now. I think she has slowed down recently, so she may not make the 5'11 the doctor predicted when she was 6 or 7. Maybe, though. I wouldn't mind if she stopped growing. Her height is in her legs. She has recently outgrown a couple pair of jeans. I hope they were the ones with the 34 inch inseam, because the 35 is hard enough to find. I don't want to need 36 inch inseams for her.

Edited by Meriwether

Okay, I checked American Eagle Outfitters, and they have mens' skinny jeans with a 28 waist and up to a 34 inseam. They are also having a buy one pair, gget next pair 1/2 off sale:

https://www.ae.com/men-aeo-extreme-flex-skinny-jean-medium-indigo/web/s-prod/0119_3744_947?cm=sUS-cUSD&catId=cat5850028

They have other styles available with these sizes, I just chose skinny because that's what my son wears.

Edited by trulycrabby
  • Like 1

Okay, I checked American Eagle Outfitters, and they have mens' skinny jeans with a 28 waist and up to a 34 inseam. They are also having a buy one pair, gget next pair 1/2 off sale:

https://www.ae.com/men-aeo-extreme-flex-skinny-jean-medium-indigo/web/s-prod/0119_3744_947?cm=sUS-cUSD&catId=cat5850028

They have other styles available with these sizes, I just chose skinny because that's what my son wears.

I was just going to say American Eagle. Even though my son isn't as tall as yours it's still hard to find something for a 28 waist and 32 inseam. My dd also gets her jeans there. She is 5-10. She used to be super skinny so it was hard to find extra longs in a size 4. Now she is an 8 so it's easier.

My daughters both grew until 15. One grew until 17. My oldest dd is only 5-1 and some of her pre-k students are almost as tall as her :). My other dd is 5-10 and my son is 6 feet so I don't know how she ended up so short. She is 24 and still gets mistaken for someone in high school.

• Like 1

We ran into a few kids from dd's class at the beginning of 7th grade. Some of the boys had grown a phenomenal amount over the summer. My dd said to me later "All I could think was, that must have been painful!" That made me laugh. She had experienced growing pains in her legs so knew what it was like. She has ended up at 5'2" and she is happy with her height. I'm 5'7.5" and I was kind of sad for a while that I will always be taller than her and looking down on her, physically not metaphorically lol.

• Like 1

I've heard doctors say that the later the growth spurt, the taller they end up. Not sure if that is true, but was true of my ex, and my oldest son. both grew so fast they ended up with stretch marks on their lower backs because the skin couldn't keep up with their new height!

Yes, I've seen data that shows this, though I believe it's the later growth spurt has a bigger size change. They may not actually be taller than other boys if they started out shorter.

Yup 28 waist &33-34 inseam. I have bean poles! I will look into Seven & All Mankind. Thanks!

American Eagle, LandsEnd, Old Navy -- 

Ds is 6'4" (17 y.o.) and we cannot find any 36 inch inseam pants for him in any store.  Everything has to be purchased on-line.  That's okay: go into store, try on various styles with 34 inch inseams, find one he likes, go to counter and ask them to order pants in 36 inch inseam for in-store delivery (or often they will send to the house free shipping).

His favorite pants right now are the American Eagle slim fit. After months of CrossFit he now has a 32 inch waist.  Wahoo!  This makes it easier. For a few years he was the 28 or 30 waist and 34 inseam you mentioned above.

For all interested parties: you can find 32/36 online in many brands.

My son is the about same size, maybe a 29 waist, and has only worn Hudson jeans since discovering them.

• Like 1

We've had two of ours start into a growth spurt and just stop.  I'm starting to think neither is going to grow any more.  Meanwhile, younger ds has grown almost a foot in the last year -- at this point, I'm hoping he keeps growing.  As being 5'4" with 11 1/2 shoes is a bit clownish.

Oldest son started his growth spurt at 14 1/2, grew 12" in a year and stopped -- although, his arms grew more.

Oldest daughter started her growth spurt at nearly 14, grew 3" in 3 months, and hasn't grown since last February -- although, her arms also grew last spring, and are still absurdly long.

I never expected my kids to be super tall...but oldest 4-6" shorter than anyone would have expected until he was 14.  DD is also 4-6" shorter than predicted.  I guess you never know!

One thing about living in Europe, I can find small waist sizes at reasonable prices for the boys.  But, even though dd is actually not far below average height for an Italian woman, finding pants for her is still hit and miss. That high waist thing is killing me.  At 5'5" I feel weird "towering" over so many women here.

Edited by LisaK in VA is in IT