Menu

Breakdown of Events: Flint Water Crisis

MomatHWTK

My dh is a civil engineer working in a large city water dept. he heard about 3 facts about this story and said "yup. They ended up with contaminants because of x y and z. Heads should roll because multiple people were not doing their jobs property."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I couldn't finish the article because it reminded me of a speech I heard at work years ago by a woman whose house was built on a former Arm & Hammer site. Her whole neighborhood was rapidly developing cancer and the officials blamed them for all manner of things. One woman complained to the public health department that everyone in her family had a yeast infection and he told her not to be a slut, sleeping around giving this stuff to her family. The whole health department had already done a report and already knew the problems, they simply weren't going to fix them. In that case that subdivision stalked the governor until he have in and took action, but it was horrible to listen to the woman tell about her 18 month old dd who was dying.

I read story about 300 plumbers showing up to install filters for free. This was after local plumbers had been working to swap people's faucets to standard sizes so that filters could be more easily attached. I'm glad there are people like that, but it's also horrifying that no one at a city, state, or federal level has actually worked to fix this. It's my understanding that lead poisoning affects generations. :(

• Like 7

Those family are going to need lifelong support for their kids.  Lead poisoning has repercussions that will last their whole lives.  It's my understanding, just from casual knowledge, that even moderately elevated lead levels can cause problems like poor impulse control etc.  I can only imagine the ways that can play out in a person's life. 

And is it true that even bathing with the water or washing clothes or hands isn't safe?  Can lead be absorbed through the skin? Does it work like that?

• Like 3

Anything you put on your skin is generally absorbed into your body depending on the concentration, solubility, etc..  Your skin is your largest organ.   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absorption_(skin)

In Flint, the high concentration levels + small body weights and rapidly dividing brain cells of children + likelihood that children might accidentally ingest water while showering/bathing = high risk of damage.

Flint is an hour from here. It is heartbreaking.

And yes other communities should be looking. My precious grandbaby, Nathaniel, just went for his one year check up. He has a very thorough pediatrician who is on top of everything and had seen reports that the capitol region of NY had been suppressing evidence of lead in the city water supply. She tested Nathan. Blood level of 4. Elevated and a cause for concern, but not high enough to treat because there are some definite negatives to treatment. Currently he is ahead of the developmental curve so she is just monitoring at this time. Dd and hubby were trying to pay down a medical bill and didn't have any extra funds around ao we bought them a filtration system for their apartment. Dd found a support group and is quite disheartened to see the number of children with lead poisoning in her area (Schenectady).

• Like 5

We did some independent testing of our water when we moved here, and feel the need to filter our water.  We found this guide to be helpful on choosing the right filtering systems for our house. http://www.ewg.org/research/ewgs-water-filter-buying-guide

We're saving up to put in a whole house filter before our water softener and to put a RO unit in.

Flint is an hour from here. It is heartbreaking.

And yes other communities should be looking. My precious grandbaby, Nathaniel, just went for his one year check up. He has a very thorough pediatrician who is on top of everything and had seen reports that the capitol region of NY had been suppressing evidence of lead in the city water supply. She tested Nathan. Blood level of 4. Elevated and a cause for concern, but not high enough to treat because there are some definite negatives to treatment. Currently he is ahead of the developmental curve so she is just monitoring at this time. Dd and hubby were trying to pay down a medical bill and didn't have any extra funds around ao we bought them a filtration system for their apartment. Dd found a support group and is quite disheartened to see the number of children with lead poisoning in her area (Schenectady).

Is lead testing not routine? I know all of my children were tested for lead exposure at well child visits twice. It isn't a particular problem where I live, either. I just thought it was standard.

The trouble is, if the government works to fix this, they will be admitting fault, which they NEVER do, no matter how much proof there is.

This. My father spent the better part of his adult lifetime involved in litigation with the govt. It consumed him mentally, emotionally, and financially. They are a beast you can't beat. :(

• Like 2

My kids weren't because we didn't live in an older house where there might be lead paint.

In NY I is (I think) a standard part of the 1 and 2 year old check up.  There are signs around saying "At 1 and at 2 lead testings what to do"  I see them in the grocery store, library and doctor offices. It was presented to me as a thing that the doctor just did at those check ups. It was just a fingerprick test. If it comes back high they do another fingerprick test with extra hand cleaning etc. If that comes back high they do a blood test.

Is lead testing not routine? I know all of my children were tested for lead exposure at well child visits twice. It isn't a particular problem where I live, either. I just thought it was standard.

Not in Florida. Only children on Medicaid and those with risk factors are routinely tested. I think it depends on your state whether or not it's routine. There are CDC guidelines but no federal mandates for routine testing.

Those family are going to need lifelong support for their kids.  Lead poisoning has repercussions that will last their whole lives.  It's my understanding, just from casual knowledge, that even moderately elevated lead levels can cause problems like poor impulse control etc.  I can only imagine the ways that can play out in a person's life.

And is it true that even bathing with the water or washing clothes or hands isn't safe?  Can lead be absorbed through the skin? Does it work like that?

Yes, and in fact when an ADHD diagnosis is done properly, lead levels are checked. It was one of the first tests ds' doctor ordered as we went through the dx process. 

• Like 1

I am horrified that so many children have been poisoned. As I understand it, other municipalities may be sitting on similar situations. : (

I posted this Reuters article last month "The thousands of U.S. locales where lead poisoning is worse than in Flint" http://www.reuters.com/investigates/special-report/usa-lead-testing/#interactive-lead

The thread I posted http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/632641-fyi-news-the-thousands-of-us-locales-where-lead-poisoning-is-worse-than-in-flint/

It is a really big elephant in the room. My youngest was tested as we stayed in a zip code known for lead problems when he was a newborn.

• Like 1

Not in Florida. Only children on Medicaid and those with risk factors are routinely tested. I think it depends on your state whether or not it's routine. There are CDC guidelines but no federal mandates for routine testing.

Yes, and in fact when an ADHD diagnosis is done properly, lead levels are checked. It was one of the first tests ds' doctor ordered as we went through the dx process. 

I'm in Florida and both my kids were tested for lead at their well-checks when they were younger.  Not on Medicaid and 0 risk factors like living in an older home, etc., so it really depends on your pediatrician.

I'm in Florida and both my kids were tested for lead at their well-checks when they were younger.  Not on Medicaid and 0 risk factors like living in an older home, etc., so it really depends on your pediatrician.

How old are your kids? My youngest is 19. Yes, it could have been standard at the practice where you took them. However, it's not a requirement nor is it standard state-wide. I wish it was. 

How old are your kids? My youngest is 19. Yes, it could have been standard at the practice where you took them. However, it's not a requirement nor is it standard state-wide. I wish it was. 

13 and 15.  I agree that it should be mandatory, it is such an easy test and the results of high lead levels can be devastating.

• Like 2

No. It is not routine, and many insurances will not pay for it as part of a well child visit. Many people hqve to convince their doctor to trump up a reason (a symptom) or produce a water report from their home that shows lead in order to the test.

• Like 2

I don't know about all states, but I do know that it is a legal requirement in the state of New York.

https://www.health.ny.gov/environmental/lead/

No. It is not routine, and many insurances will not pay for it as part of a well child visit. Many people hqve to convince their doctor to trump up a reason (a symptom) or produce a water report from their home that shows lead in order to the test.

If your dd lives in NY, it is not only routine but is mandated by law.

https://www.health.ny.gov/environmental/lead/

Edited to add: Sorry about the double post, Faith, but I replied to Caroline's post before I saw yours. I wanted to be sure you knew about the NY lead testing requirements because I know your dd lives there and it is information that may be important to her.

Edited by Catwoman
  • Like 1

I couldn't finish the article because it reminded me of a speech I heard at work years ago by a woman whose house was built on a former Arm & Hammer site. Her whole neighborhood was rapidly developing cancer and the officials blamed them for all manner of things. One woman complained to the public health department that everyone in her family had a yeast infection and he told her not to be a slut, sleeping around giving this stuff to her family. The whole health department had already done a report and already knew the problems, they simply weren't going to fix them. In that case that subdivision stalked the governor until he have in and took action, but it was horrible to listen to the woman tell about her 18 month old dd who was dying.

That is just horrifying!!!

This. Our first kids never had it done. The last one, the 4 yr old, the doctor gave me a hand out on why it was important, but said it wasn't covered by my insurance, so if I wanted he'd give me a script to an outside lab to have it done. (at least, that's what my foggy brain remembers...I member there was some issue around it. We did do it, and he was fine.)