Menu

Orlando, Disney dilemma....

Prairie~Phlox

So originally we were thinking 1 day at Epcot, but fould out FIL has a timeshare & is going to see if he can get us in for 3 nights. 1st day we'll drive frim Spring Hill where in-laws are staying. That night Medieval Times. Wednesday probably Epcot, Thursday Hollywood Sudios?? Talked about Universal, dh is not interested. My kids are 15 1/2-19. LOVE Star Wars. No interest in Magic Kingdom. Is there enough to do for a full day at HS? Dh talked about 2 days at Epcot. Or would you get parkhopper passes? Friday we just want to relax at the resort. Suggestions. Thanks.

• Like 1

I love HS.  It is one of my favorite parks.   I can spend a whole day there, but others disagree.

Have you been before?  

Ride Star Tours multiple times because there are different scenes, making the ride different each time.  

We do Rockin' Roller Coaster and Tower of Terror multiple times too, just because we like them.  RR has a single rider line, which comes in handy when you want to go on multiple times.

BUT, I would still look into park hoppers.  I believe Epcot will be open later than HS, so if nothing else, you could go over after HS closes.

We didn't think we would like Universal as much as Disney as we are Disney people, but wow, we loved it!  In fact, we went a 2nd time and skipped Disney again.  And it is cheaper if you go more often.  APs were under $300 when we got them for US, but double that (almost) for Disney.

• Like 1

We were in Orlando the last week of April 2016.  5 days in parks (4 in Walt Disney World and one day in Universal Orlando) and one day in Kennedy Space Center. If we could plan that over, in hindsight, we would have had two (2) full days on the Universal Orlando tickets that allow one to be in either park and ride the Harry Potter train. For us, #1 was Universal Orlando and #2 was Kennedy Space Center. We bought the tickets in WDW that permit one to Park Hop. We took advantage of that on 2 of the 4 days. The day we went to Epcot, where my wife and I had been in 2000, we left very early and went to the other 3 parks, looking for something DD hadn't purchased when she saw it the first time and to ride the train in Magic Kingdom, which wasn't operating the day we were in Magic Kingdom. If you have people who are "into" Harry Potter, which you do, like my DD, they will be very happy in Universal Orlando.  We stayed in a Timeshare in Villas at Summer Bay Orlando, for 7 nights, which was wonderful. We went to Kennedy Space Center the last day we were there. That was a mistake. We should have gone there the first day we were there, because the things in their Gift Shop were so much less expensive than in WDW or UO.  We would have purchased a lot more in KSC, had we gone there the first day and not the last day. Also, the food was much less expensive (and more plentiful) than what we ate in WDW or UO. Enjoy your trip!  Although we had enjoyed Epcot in May 2000, it was a big disappointment this time and we left very early. We enjoyed Animal Kingdom a lot and rode the water ride several times and got drenched. My wife had the papers for the Rental Car in her purse. Fortunately, when we returned the car, that wasn't a problem...

ETA: I reread the OP.  OK, your kids are into StarWars. My DD is into that also.  She bought a lot of StarWars stuff and a lot of Harry Potter stuff.  I don't think I would consider 2 days in Epcot. We left there after 3 or 4 hours. It was dirty in places (Urine smell near an attraction near the main entrance that morning) and hot. No trees for shade when we were in the    area where the different countries have their exhibits. My wife wanted to revisit the USA area, where we'd been and taken photos in May 2000 when she was pregnant, but it was too hot to walk that far that day in late April.  We went to Hollywood Studios and enjoyed watching the show and doing things there.  And, we watched the Fireworks, after walking out of Hollywood Studios if my memory is accurate.  STUDY CAREFULLY because it is expensive and time is very limited!

ETA #2: Yes, certainly, buy the Park Hopper tickets in WDW. We did that and we did Park Hop on 2 of the 4 days. The day we went to Epcot we ended up going to the other 3 WDW parks too.  We got a very close in parking space when we arrived at Epcot that day and we left the car there and rode the WDW buses to the other parks and then went back to Epcot to get the car when we finished that night.  We also bought the tickets in Universal Orlando that allow one to be in both parks, because that is required so one can ride the Harry Potter train between the parks.  Hollywood Studios for one full day would probably be OK.  DD did not do the Elevator Drop. Maybe next time...  2 full days for Universal Orlando would have been nice and we regret only having spent one day there. 

Edited by Lanny

We just got back from 2 weeks in Orlando last month. I agree with the ages of your kids that Universal would be a better fit. The rides are amazing and Harry Potter world was incredible! If you definitely want to do Disney then Hollywood Studios would be my pick. Epcot is a little dull. It has fantastic grounds, and the best food and drink of all the parks so its a great place to stroll around and unwind, but definitely not the place to go if you're only doing one of the parks.

• Like 2

DH is all about Epcot that's the top place were going, he said when he went in high school they went there two days he was with a bunch of nerds. My kids are pretty nerdy so I'm praying that it works out. He absolutely said no to Universal, which is fine he's not into Harry Potter. I'm think you wouldn't joy Hollywood studios over animal kingdom. I'm going to encourage the park hopper, is there anyway to get tickets cheaper than through Walt Disney World. Or what's the best way to get tickets. Thanks

• Like 1

You can easily split Epcot and Hollywood Studios and fit them in on the same day if you plan well. Get fast passes and rope drop Hollywood Studios, since only Soarin, Test Track, and Frozen has lines in Epcot and you can only get a fast pass for one of them anyway. Beware the Rockin Rollercoaster single rider line, it can take as long or longer than stand-by. There is a sweet spot around lunch when you can sometimes find Toy Story for 20 - 30 min standby. There is even a boat that will take you between parks.

Stefanie

• Like 1

If you are set on going to Epcot then definitely get the park hopper. There's just really not a lot to do there unless you want to spend a lot of money on eating and drinking. 

We got the most bang for our buck at Hollywood Studios. They have two serious rides (Tower of Terror and the Aerosmith roller coaster), plus the Star Wars stuff and amazing shows (Indiana Jones, Beauty and the Beast, and the Fantasmic evening show with fireworks). Animal Kingdom is also great with a few serious rides and the safari ride and walking trails with animals, but we used to have an annual pass to the San Diego Zoo and Safari Park so we felt it was nice, but not amazing. I felt like there was at least a full day's worth of stuff at AK and its a pretty park. Epcot was a half-day for sure and my son is a lot younger. I think older kids would be seriously bored. 

• Like 1

Will your dh be disappointed if your dc don't have the same joy he remembers. It sounds like his memory of Epcot is really built up. 

If you are intent on only disney, I would get 2 days of park hoppers. I would plan days so there is time exploring with family and time for kids to explore on there own. Based on their ages it should be perfectly fine for them to do some stuff on their own. That way if they are tired of Epcot they can take in another park. 

I have one kids who would like Epcot. I'm not sure if he would have a preference for Epcot over Universal. My other two kids would prefer Universal.  

• Like 2

Follow on: DD is taking a break from studying and my wife is fixing Breakfast.  My wife says that of the parks, the 2 Universal Orlando parks were the best. Followed by Animal Kingdom and Magic Kingdom. She says to tell you that we almost did not go to Magic Kingdom. because one thinks of it as for little kids, and DD is 16. DD mentioned the  "Pirates of the Caribbean" attraction.  URGENT THAT YOU ARE IN LINE TO ENTER THE PARKS BEFORE THEY OPEN.  iIf you go to Epcot, possibly 1/2 day there and 1/2 day in Hollywood Studios.  We strongly suggest that you go to Universal Studios.  Study and go where you think you will enjoy being the most, because time and money are very limited. My wife says that Kennedy Space Center is more "educational" and that since we are "into" NASA, that is a must stop for us, but that others might not have the same interest and connection to KSC that we do (we had been on KSC for a launch of the Space Shuttle Atlantis in May 2000).    ENJOY YOUR TRIP!    in WDW, when you pay to park your car, if you go to another park, you do not need to pay to park again. Just have the receipt for parking available and they will let you into the parking lot of the other parks. The bird show in Animal Kingdom is something I really enjoyed.  I am    OLD and had not planned to ride any Roller Coasters, and to my astonishment, the first thing DD took us on in Universal Orlando was a Roller Coaster. I    rode on a number of them that week.  I think DD said the new StarWars park will be in Animal Kingdom?

It's really going to depend on what you like. I could be done at Hollywood Studios after 2 hours if you don't count wait times for rides. But then, other than the original three movies I get easily bored with Star Wars stuff. If you have big SW fans, they'll probably like it. I do think your kids would like Universal, but if that's out of the question then I'd say get a Disney park hopper pass. 

• Like 1

We were just there last week. We were at Hollywood Studios when they opened at 9:00. Did Toy Story, Rockin Rollercoaster (with FastPass), Star Tours twice (once with FP and once in 10 min. standby line), and Great Movie Ride. Ate an early lunch at the new Rizzo's Pizza (pizza was nothing special). We were ready to leave the park before noon. Ds 14 and Dh hated The Great Movie Ride. We have skipped it the last several trips and forgotten what it was like. There were other attractions open of course, but having done them in past years, my ds wasn't interested.

I think you would enjoy Universal or Magic Kingdom much more.

Editing to add that Epcot is our favorite park, and we also really enjoy Animal Kingdom:)

Edited by Bensmom
  • Like 1

OP my wife says that your DH may be very disappointed, as she was, when he returns to Epcot.  It was not like her memories of our day there in May 2000.  The thing I remember about Epcot, when we were there in May 2000, was the patriotic show in the USA area.  We saw the show and I took pictures of my pregnant wife, with the people in Revolutionary War costumes (I saw those during the Presidential Inauguration last Friday), and I wanted to go there, with my wife and DD this year. We started walking there, from the Mexican or Chinese area. It was the end of April 2016. It was hot. Lots of concrete. No shade.  My wife said, no, let's go to another park. That was the day we were in all 4 WDW parks, on the "Park Hopper" tickets.  We live in Colombia. The first day in WDW, when it was our turn to buy tickets for WDW, the woman who sold them to us was from Colombia. We let her "Upsell" us to the "Park Hopper" tickets, which we were not planning to buy, for the 4 days in WDW. YOU MUST BUY PARK HOPPER TICKETS.  WELL WORTH THE EXTRA MONEY, IF YOU WANT TO MOVE TO ANOTHER PARK The food in Epcot was probably the worst food we ate in any of the parks and it was also the most expensive food we ate in the parks.  And, tiny portions.

It depends on what you are looking for in the experience.  We like the "serious" rides, but our very favorite part is being there.  We love the attention to detail.  So, EPCOT is fun for our nerdy family!LOL  We wander and explore.  We love chatting with all the cast members and meeting characters.  It is easily a day. and Illuminations( end of day show) is great.  BUT, we are not easily bored. LOL.  We find a way to have fun.  

Hollywood Studios can be a whole day if you have dining reservations, like breaks, etc.  And the Star Wars light show at the end is so much better than Fantasmic in our opinion.(HUGE Star Wars fans here. :)  It can be a little difficult to fit in all the shows you want to see(they are longer).  We don't hit all the rides, then head out.  

Of all the parks, MY favorite is Magic Kingdom.  It is so packed full of Disney detail! We always stay the longest in MK.  Always the first day and always the last. My biggest kids feel the same.  It makes me happy.  :)

I have no experience with US.  We may go one year, but I don't want to give up a Disney day. :)  It will be a trip for itself.  Like I said, the thrill rides are not the reason we like Disney and I'm afraid we will be disappointed in US.  We have 1 Harry Potter fan.  That's it.

Have a great time!

• Like 2

We usually spend a whole day in Hollywood Studios. We spend two in Epcot if we have a 5 day pass. If we have a 4 day pass, then one park per day. The day we do Animal Kingdom is shorter (smaller park, closes earlier).

• Like 1

I don't think age is any indicator of what parks they will prefer. Mine are 16 & 18 and definitely prefer Disney World. They both enjoy Epcot and the oldest loves it, she likes to go twice whenever possible. 

They both like thrill rides and love Harry Potter. We spent one day at Universal/Harry Potter several years ago, and it was a great experience - but not one they have wanted to repeat. They prefer to go back to Disney World again and again. 

OP, I would consider park hoppers if it's in the budget, simply because it's so hard to tell what people are going to really like once they get there. They also give you the option of hopping to a park just to see a certain attraction or show and walk around a bit. 

Hollywood Studios has the stunt show, rock and roller coaster, tower of terror, toy story mania, and the great movie ride. For Star Wars, they have the simulator (different each time), the movie props exhibit, and a nightly show. Also Fantasmic, one of the more spectacular night time shows. So yes, depending on interests, it can definitely be an all day park. I don't love the food there, so last time we hopped out just to eat and do one or two things, and then hopped back. Hopping does take time, but I tend to appreciate the rest on the bus.

• Like 2

It depends on what you are looking for in the experience.  We like the "serious" rides, but our very favorite part is being there.  We love the attention to detail.  So, EPCOT is fun for our nerdy family!LOL  We wander and explore.  We love chatting with all the cast members and meeting characters.  It is easily a day. and Illuminations( end of day show) is great.  BUT, we are not easily bored. LOL.  We find a way to have fun.  

Hollywood Studios can be a whole day if you have dining reservations, like breaks, etc.  And the Star Wars light show at the end is so much better than Fantasmic in our opinion.(HUGE Star Wars fans here. :)  It can be a little difficult to fit in all the shows you want to see(they are longer).  We don't hit all the rides, then head out.  

Of all the parks, MY favorite is Magic Kingdom.  It is so packed full of Disney detail! We always stay the longest in MK.  Always the first day and always the last. My biggest kids feel the same.  It makes me happy.   :)

I have no experience with US.  We may go one year, but I don't want to give up a Disney day. :)  It will be a trip for itself.  Like I said, the thrill rides are not the reason we like Disney and I'm afraid we will be disappointed in US.  We have 1 Harry Potter fan.  That's it.

Have a great time!

Yes, the detail, the theming, the exploration - these are why we can spend a full day at any park and have a great time even if we skip some rides due to crowds, and even though we have visited many times before.

Magic Kingdom is our favorite also, and we head straight to Fantasy Land on our first day even with no little, or even middle, kids, lol. 

We have not been since the Star Wars show began, it's exciting to hear how good it is! We're not huge Star Wars fans, but I'm sure we can appreciate it regardless. 

• Like 2

Do people just walk around the World Showcase circle and never leave the pavement? Each country has a lot of things to see, a few have movies, and all have people to talk to from that country. Also many have performances. I don't understand how people can whip through in a few hours? Then there is the Future World side with the rides and add'l stuff to see. It takes us a long time! It's been my kids' favorite park too, since we first started going (they were 6&9). I guess if you are ride focused it could seem boring. But in that case you'd be better off at a Six Flags.

• Like 9

We're Disney folks -- I could spend several days in EPCOT and still be wanting more. I love all the details, I love the ride selections, the shows and acts and more. Seriously one of my favorites.

But I couldn't go to WDW without a visit to the MK. Seriously I'd feel robbed. I need Pirates and Tiki Birds and Splash Mountain to make my life complete.

Hollywood Studios has a lot of limitations right now with the construction but still has a lot to offer. (Star Wars expansions are at the Studios -- Avatar expansions at the AK)  Normally I'm not a Park Hopper person but with two days and HS being one of your focuses, I'd consider it -- and hop to a park with complementary hours/schedule.

We haven't been to Universal in a long time because it's not our thing. We're not particularly into thrill rides and we love their properties less (not interested in Simpsons, Kong, Minions) plus their move for the future seems to be 3D glasses in rides -- that makes me want to be ill. (We like Harry Potter but our biggest Potterhead is our youngest who has been). 

I can make it through one ride on Star Wars not two, I did a couple, a few hours apart last time we were at DLR but I need space. Moving 3D is not my friend.

The very best strategy is ALWAYS ROPE DROP -- be in the park before it opens if you can manage it  (make a dining reservation well before opening in an in-park restaurant).

Edited by theelfqueen
  • Like 3

I think your DH is going to be very disappointed in EPCOT.  Most of the rids he remembers are gone.

Horizons (the ride where you could pick your future) GONE

World of Motion (ride detailing the history of getting around, invention of the wheel ect) GONE

Wonders of Life- GONE

Spaceship Earth- changed quite a bit, first part is still there but a big chunk is GONE

The Living Seas- rethemed to Nemo and is a shell of it's former self

Living with the Land- boat ride still there but automated, Kitchen Caberet GONE

Imagination- a Shell of it's former self, seriously disappointing if you remember the old version

Moving on to the countries, they are mostly the same except Malestrom (the viking ride in Norway) is now themed to Frozen.  They have added the Disney characters around the countries and taken away a lot of the unique shows that were there.  They do still have a few shows but it's not as many as what used to be there.

They did replace 2 of the old rides with Test Track and Mission Space, and added Soarin' where Kitchen Caberet was.

I think it's still worth a visit but can't imagine wanting to spend as much time as he's thinking there. 

Hollywood Studios is fun but a lot of it is walled off now as they prepare to add Star Wars Land ( I think due to open in 2019 or 2020).  It does have the most thrilling rides  with Tower of Terror and Rock n Roller coaster. We love The Great Movie Ride because of the animatronics but it's no thrill ride.  Star Tours is a really fun ride also.  I just don't think it's a full day park since half of it is blocked off.

I'm not trying to discourage you from going just want to try to temper your DH's expectations of Epcot.  I know I was sad when I went there in 2004 and my favorite rides were no longer. :(

• Like 4

I think your DH is going to be very disappointed in EPCOT.  Most of the rids he remembers are gone.

He may be disappointed in the nostalgic sense, but that doesn't mean he will be disappointed overall. 

We have always found that there are plenty of shows to watch; this may depend on when you go or even just your timing of walking around the park. They have a schedule at the website, so it's easy to see what is available. Last time I think we saw Chinese acrobats, Moroccan belly dancers and musicians, and Japanese drumming. 

I think that Future World can definitely use additional updating, but some of what has already been done is excellent. Test Track and Soarin' are two of the most popular rides in all of the World (and Soarin' was just updated again). 

I mean, yes, it's a crapshoot when you haven't visited a place, or haven't visited in a really long time. And, when Disney updates or changes attractions, there are always people who love the change and always people who hate it. 

#epcotforthewin

• Like 1

Do people just walk around the World Showcase circle and never leave the pavement? Each country has a lot of things to see, a few have movies, and all have people to talk to from that country. Also many have performances. I don't understand how people can whip through in a few hours? Then there is the Future World side with the rides and add'l stuff to see. It takes us a long time! It's been my kids' favorite park too, since we first started going (they were 6&9). I guess if you are ride focused it could seem boring. But in that case you'd be better off at a Six Flags.

When we were in EPCOT last April, we were inside the Mexican and Chinese areas as I recall. We had Lunch in the Chinese area.   We really wanted to go to the USA area, but it was just too hot to walk that far, without shade. Too much concrete, not enough shade. We went to the EPCOT exit at that time and that was the day we were in all 4 WDW parks.  I think we were in EPCOT for 3 or 4 hours that day.   Yes, there are many things to look at, once one is inside....   During the Summer, with the heat and humidity, I imagine it would be much more uncomfortable. When we were there (last week of April) I think the maximum temperatures were in the mid to high 80s.  My wife and I really enjoyed EPCOT when we were there in May 2000 when she was Pregnant, but this time, it was our least favorite, of the 4 WDW parks, the 2 UO parks, and Kennedy Space Center.  

chicagoshannon in post #24 hit the nail on the head.  I told my wife about  what Shannon wrote, when she was cooking our Breakfast.  Exactly what my wife experienced, after not having been in Epcot since May 2000.  Before our April 2016 trip up to Orlando, my wife had told our DD that you really need two (2) days for EPCOT. After we were inside EPCOT, during April 2016, my wife knew it had changed drastically.  My wife said that Disney should let Universal Studios take over Epcot (sarcasm), but, at the minimum, we believe that at this time, DIsney should charge much less for admission to EPCOT than they do for the other 3 parks in WDW.  Neither my wife or my DD would waste their time and money by going to EPCOT again.My wife said that EPCOT was the ONLY place we were (including all the restrooms she was in, in different places) where there was a Urine smell.  That was not in a restroom...

We would happily return to the Timeshare we stayed in (Villas at Summer Bay Orlando), we would happily rent from Dollar Rent a Car again, we would happily return to the other 3 WDW parks.  Our FIRST stop would be two (2) days in Universal Orlando.

We believe the "Park Hopper" tickets in WDW are a must. Especially for the DH of the OP who has memories of EPCOT like the memories my wife had, from the day we spent there during May 2000.

We believe that if you go to Hollywood Studios, you should go at night, so you can see the show in the amphitheater (assuming it isn't raining) and then watch the fireworks. It is across from, or near to the Hotel with the Elevator Drop.

We also believe that if you are in Magic Kingdom, you need to be there at night, to watch the "Electric Parade" and you need to get there early, so you can get a spot near the curb.

Animal Kingdom probably good for the morning, if not all day.

I am going to begin buying a lottery ticket every week...  We would like to go up to Orlando again...

Thanks everyone, I think we've convinced them on MK. Thankfully we've been very blessed & my FIL used points & got us into Holiday Inn Resort Waterpark in Orlando. Has anyone stayed there? We're super excited.

Suggestion: If that's a Timeshare and they try to get you to go to a Presentation (they will tell you it will only take an hour or so and they will promise a lot of gifts) politely decline. If you should ever want to purchase a Timeshare, buy on the Resale market at a tiny fraction of what the Developer would charge you. 

http://www.tug2.net/

When we were at Disney Orlando, our kids were 13, 10, 7, and 3.

Magic Kingdom: The 13 y.o. was mostly bored.  In Adventureland, he ONLY liked Pirates of the Caribbean.  In Frontierland, only Thunder Mountain Railroad. In Liberty Square, only the Haunted Mansion. Tomorrowland was the biggest hit because he would try THREE rides: the Speedway, Space Mountain, and the Buzz Lightyear Spin. When we took youngest to Fantasyland (which she adored and would have spent all day) he went back to Tomorrowland. Magic Kingdom was the most difficult of the four parks for us because the four kids each only liked a few things -- all different things -- so we kept splitting up. We must have walked many, many miles that day! (If I went back with my younger kids, I would want to take this in two days for sure.)

Hollywood Studios was the biggest hit for the 13 and 10 year olds. Themed rides and attractions they enjoyed! 

ETA: My crew are Star Wars and Indiana Jones fans -- those attractions were a thumbs up. They REALLY liked the Toy Story Mania. 7 year old did the Jedi Training -- oh my goodness he was living a dream!  Now that I think of it, it's probably only a one-day park, but still a magical day for my kids.

We all enjoyed Epcot/World Showcase, but we paced ourselves and nibbled "around the world" for lunch/dinner. This was a huge hit with the kids b/c we bought something to eat at every country and let them pick (then shared everything).  We hardly ever eat out, so... very exciting.  Plus all of the interesting things to see and do at each country... It was a blast!  Everybody except the 3 yr old loved the rides in Future World. We could have easily done 2 days at Epcot.

Animal Kingdom was not as much of a hit.  We spend a lot of time in big zoos, so this one wasn't as impressive... found Epcot more detailed and interactive as far as cultural exposure and Hollywood Studios better for rides/attractions... The day we spent here at AK was the least exciting... I would skip it next time.  (Although the 10 year old, now 14, STILL remembers the Expedition Everest ride in Asia! For some reason she just fell in love with it and rode it over and over many times. She IS the roller coaster lover in the family.  She's since been to Universal, though, and would choose the rides there over Disney any day.)

ETA: My oldest does NOT like roller coasters and, although he's accompanied us to Universal Studios, he does not enjoy it very much. :(  The rest of us had fun!

Good luck finding the right balance for your family!  Enjoy your vacation!

Edited by zaichiki
  • Like 2