Menu

Sprite is Lemonade?

KungFuPanda

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A sultana is a golden raisin in the US. A raisin in the UK is dark and the same size or larger than a sultana. Currants are dark and smaller. Dried mixed fruit has all three plus evil candied peel.

A rozijn is a dried grape, most commonly made from Sultana grapes. The color of a raisin depends on the drying process. A krent is a dried Vitis vinifera aka Corinthian grape, with Corinth being Dutchified into krent.

And Sultana is a brand of cookie - apparently they've expanded their line, but this is what people in NL talk about when they talk about Sultanas:

http://www.sultana.nl/producten/assortiment/fruitbiscuit-naturel/

Edited by luuknam

At the moment I can get orange, yellow, purple, blue and pink fantas at the loval supermarket.

Those are the colors...don't they have flavors associated with them?

The purple one is probably grape.

And I stumbled on this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_availability_of_Fanta

I wish I could get melon Fanta in the U.S.  It's my favorite flavor. They had it on the fountain at my favorite Chinese restaurant in Japan.

A sultana is a golden raisin in the US. A raisin in the UK is dark and the same size or larger than a sultana. Currants are dark and smaller. Dried mixed fruit has all three plus evil candied peel.

Sultanas and raisins are both dried grapes, I believe, just from different grape varieties (sultanas are from green grapes, vs red usually??).   I also usually get 'golden raisins' when substituting for sultanas in a recipe. Differences in raisins from place to place is probably much due to the type of grape they dried.

Currants are, well, dried currants, a berry, and entirely different type of fruit than a grape.  Hence their tininess. :)

• Like 1

Sultanas and raisins are both dried grapes, I believe, just from different grape varieties (sultanas are from green grapes, vs red usually??).   I also usually get 'golden raisins' when substituting for sultanas in a recipe. Differences in raisins from place to place is probably much due to the type of grape they dried.

https://www.leaf.tv/articles/what-is-the-difference-between-yellow-black-raisins/

No, not actually.  They are grapes:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zante_currant

Well, silly me, I always thought they were currants - 'cause, you know, the name!  Like red currants and black currants that they make juice from in Europe.

Never realized the 'currants' they make the dried fruit from was a different thing entirely.  Love the Hive - always learning. :lol:

So the currant jam that is also common in Europe - those are currants, right, not Zante minigrapes?  Ah... this answers the question: http://www.food.com/about/currant-236

I like this one too, with the subtitle: Those little raisiny things called “currants†aren’t real currants!

• Like 1

The purple one is probably grape.

And I stumbled on this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_availability_of_Fanta

I wish I could get melon Fanta in the U.S.  It's my favorite flavor. They had it on the fountain at my favorite Chinese restaurant in Japan.

Makes me think of "red flavor" Jello. ;) My husband really likes the Fanta Zero Strawberry you can get in the Coke Freestyle machines--wish they sold it in bottles.

Why does Japan always have the best flavor selections? It's that way with Kit Kats as well. We can sometimes find the green tea Kit Kats at World Market/Cost Plus (have some to put in stockings for Xmas), but I'd love to try a bunch of the others.

Well geez, apparently I was a bit of a raisin ignoramus.

But my green/red grape hypothesis always made so much *sense* to me! :lol:

And making dried currants out of a fruit that is not actually currants is just...tricksy.. :glare: :lol:

I can't imagine that all raisins all over the world are made from the exact same grape variety, though...? There's so many different kinds of grapes... wouldn't it vary regionally??

Well geez, apparently I was a bit of a raisin ignoramus.

But my green/red grape hypothesis always made so much *sense* to me! :lol:

And making dried currants out of a fruit that is not actually currants is just...tricksy.. :glare: :lol:

I can't imagine that all raisins all over the world are made from the exact same grape variety, though...? There's so many different kinds of grapes... wouldn't it vary regionally??

Like I mentioned in one of my previous posts, MOST raisins in NL are made from Sultana raisins. But, sure, you could make them out of other grapes varieties. But the color is about the drying process.

And the currant thing is named after Corinth. Which makes some sort of sense. I have no idea why the berries are called currants though (should probably Google it). In Dutch red currants are rode bessen (red berries) and black currants zwarte bessen (black berries). Of course, English blackberries are something else altogether.

Like I mentioned in one of my previous posts, MOST raisins in NL are made from Sultana raisins. But, sure, you could make them out of other grapes varieties. But the color is about the drying process.

I know the raisins I always get are labeled "Thompson raisins" - I assumed that was the grape variety?

And the currant thing is named after Corinth. Which makes some sort of sense. I have no idea why the berries are called currants though (should probably Google it). In Dutch red currants are rode bessen (red berries) and black currants zwarte bessen (black berries). Of course, English blackberries are something else altogether.

I think my whole currant confusion comes from having lived in Germany, where the berry variety of currant (Johannisbeeren) are everywhere, but you rarely see dried 'currants'.  Fresh currant berries and the products made from them are hardly ever seen here.  I see the Zante mini-grapes are indeed called "Korinthe" in German - I never saw those there.  Or if I did, I would have correctly thought they were something different, because different words!  The words are the same in English, so I conflated them...

Blackberries are Brombeeren in German... (and blackberries are not to be confused with black raspberries...)

Edited by Matryoshka

Yes, I think fried breads similar to this are common in many cultures.

It is only a specifically Utah-regional thing to call the final product a scone.

I had no idea this was Utah specific. I have always called them scones and assumed that's what they were called elsewhere. I did know there was also a type of baked good called a scone, especially in the UK, but I didn't realize that my idea of a scone was Utah, and not USA, specific.  :blushing:  

As to lemonade, I have an easy answer for keeping all the terms straight, avoid them all! :p I'm not a fan of lemon-flavor. Here in Utah, I mostly hear "soda" for carbonated drinks. 

This has been an interesting thread. Some of these I knew about, but many are new to me or I never realized we were referring to different things. 

• Like 1

Yep, my father-in-law wants it that way, have to be able to see the rings from the can. Scroll down this page to see photo http://perfectlynourished.com/2014/11/3-ingredient-cranberry-sauce-hold-the-jelly/

The day before Thanksgiving my son asked "Are we having the raspberry stuff this year?" I had no clue what he meant until he described it: the slimy stuff that comes in a can and you open it and it goes thwwshhhp into the bowl and it still looks like the can. Yes, of course--can-shaped cranberry sauce is my favorite too!

• Like 1

This describes the differences between sultanas, currants and raisins.

http://britishfood.about.com/od/faq/ss/The-Difference-between-Raisins-Sultanas-and-Currants.htm#step1

All 3 are dried grapes but are very different in terms of taste, texture and use in cooking.

Sultanas and raisins are not the same. They are made from different varieties of grape and have a completely different size, shape, texture and flavour profile.

It would appear that what is called a golden raisin in the US is actually a sultana.

Long-sleeved mock turtle necks in bright colours?

Ah, memories. You have to point your fingers and do the twist while wearing them.

My now-23yr old went to one of the very, very early Wiggles shows. It was in a school hall in suburbia. 

Jeff had to dash away and change into Henry the Octopus and Anthony would dash away and change into Captain Feathersword.

The good ol' days.

Ah, memories. You have to point your fingers and do the twist while wearing them.

My now-23yr old went to one of the very, very early Wiggles shows. It was in a school hall in suburbia.

Jeff had to dash away and change into Henry the Octopus and Anthony would dash away and change into Captain Feathersword.

The good ol' days.

:) I kind of miss The Wiggles. They used to be my DD's favorite tv show and music. We saw them in concert twice (on tour in North America) but they were much more polished and "bigger" by then. They did put on a phenomenal show, though! DD even spoke some words with an Aussie accent when younger, thanks to The Wiggles. :D

probably, but we call them by colour, cos they're all gross :-)   Just for you I will look it up.

orange = orange (original) this is what I mean when I say fanta

bright pink = sour water melon

blue - blueberry (smurfberry)

purple = grape

pink = strawberry sherbert fizz