Menu

Sprite is Lemonade?

KungFuPanda

I wouldn't be surprised if that use of the term lemonade dated back to WWII when there was no imported fruit, so all kinds of previous recipes were remade and the originals discarded.  My mother's recipe for Christmas Pudding had carrots in it, because fruit was unavailable during rationing and carrots are sweet.

My Oxford English Dictionary lists "lemonade" as coming into the language from the French in the mid-seventeenth century.

The number one definition? A drink made of water, lemon juice, and sugar.

I'm pretty sure that Sprite (which first hit the market in 1961) wasn't around in the mid-seventeenth century.

OED rules.

Bill (traditionalist :D) 

• Like 3

I'm familiar with it---usually referring to the give-away stuff you get at conventions rather than a goodie-bag at a kid's birthday party. It's not something that was common in this area when I was growing up, though.

Yes. Those kind of goodies. Freebies. I didn't even think of those bags at kids parties as being goodie bags.

A diminishing few remember the taste of real root-beer, which was predominated by the delicious creamy earthiness of sassafras. But sassafras was banned as a potential carcinogen. 

Today's root beers are dominated by wintergreen and lack the creamy texture and subtle carbonation of the real thing. Real root beer was special. It rolled across the tongue and filled one's senses with spice. Today's stuff is thin, over carbonated, too sweet, and has nothing "rooty" in its flavor profile.

One of the greatest concoctions ever has been lost to cancer fears.

Bill 

• Like 2

No. One might use an English muffin for that, (except for the gravy, no one eats scones and gravy.) Scones are for jam and cream. 

The first time I made Chicken & Biscuits for dh, he was horrified that I would put chicken stew on "scones."  After that when ever I would make that meal, he would have his "scones" on the side with strawberry jam.  :lol:

The funniest dialect misunderstanding in our bi-cultural home was over the word "cyclone."  Here in NZ "cyclone" = hurricane or typhoon.  DH would not accept that "cyclone" = tornado.  Our dc were ROTFL over that days dinnertime discussion.

• Like 2

The funniest dialect misunderstanding in our bi-cultural home was over the word "cyclone."  Here in NZ "cyclone" = hurricane or typhoon.  DH would not accept that "cyclone" = tornado.  Our dc were ROTFL over that days dinnertime discussion.

Where do they think it's a tornado? I don't think I've ever heard it used that way.

• Like 1

Sweetened or not?

I usually put half and half in coffee (half cream, half whole milk).

That depends on personal preference. I always whip cream with a little sugar and a little vanilla. My mother just whips plain cream with nothing added.

Where do they think it's a tornado? I don't think I've ever heard it used that way.

Growing up in VT, I heard "cyclone" &" twister" used for "tornado."  "Tornado" was the most common used, but I have heard both of the others as well.

Other terms that have sometimes confused non-Americans are:

American term  =  non-American term

flip-flops = jandals (NZ), thongs (Aus.), Zoris (Marshall Islands), Slippers (other Pacific Islands)

cooler = Esky (NZ/Aus)

biscuits = scones

cookies = biscuits

soda / pop / etc.  = fizzy drink

supper = tea

bedtime snack = supper

morning snack = morning tea

jumper = pinafore

sweater = jumper

turtleneck = skivvy 

candy = lollies

pinnies (worn by sport teams in practice) = bibs

diapers = nappies

hot drink = cuppa

crib = cot

backpack / knapsack = school bag

sub / submarine sandwich / hogie / grinder / etc. = filled roll

living room = lounge

family room = rumpus room

kitchen counter = kitchen bench

bathing suit = togs

I'm sure that there's tons more.  When my dc were little & we would travel to visit my family, I would use the l-o-n-g flights to refresh their American English.  Ds#1 is heading off to the States early next year.  He'll find it interesting as all of my dc's "first language" is Kiwi-English.

Edited by Deb in NZ
  • Like 2

And I've never heard it used the other way.

I've only ever heard hurricane or typhoon for massive circular over-water storms.

To me a cyclone and tornado are synonymous - circular storms on land, but cyclone is no longer used much.

I'm learning so much from this thread!

• Like 4

Skivvy = turtleneck !?!?I've never hear of a singular skivvy.

To me skivvies = underwear! :lol:

I think I may be afraid to speak to anyone ever again, because we obviously do not speak the same language, even if it sounds the similar! :D

Edited by fraidycat
  • Like 9

And I've never heard it used the other way.

I've only ever heard hurricane or typhoon for massive circular over-water storms.

To me a cyclone and tornado are synonymous - circular storms on land, but cyclone is no longer used much.

I'm learning so much from this thread!

I believe that hurricanes are in the Atlantic, typhoons are in the North Pacific, & cyclones are in the South Pacific.  All 3 terms are for the same type of storm.

• Like 2

Skivvy = sweater!?!? I've never hear of a singular skivvy.

I think I may be afraid to speak to anyone ever again, because we obviously do not speak the same language, even if it sounds the similar! :D

To me a skivvy is a stretchy t-shirt with long sleeves and a roll neck (turtle neck) but it is not a jumper (sweater)

• Like 1

I believe that hurricanes are in the Atlantic, typhoons are in the North Pacific, & cyclones are in the South Pacific. All 3 terms are for the same type of storm.

They say you learn something new every day. I need to space out my reading of this thread, because I keep learning more and more. :)

• Like 1

Remember that feeling you had when people swore that blue dress was white or gold or something? I'm having it now.

For Americans:

Lemon juice + water + sugar = lemonade (or you can cheat and mix kool-aid or country time powder)

Sprite is a carbonated, commercial lemon-lime soda.

Cordial is fruit-flavored liquor.

So the dress was blue and black after all? I guess I never knew how that turned out. Interesting.

19yo dd tells me that Aussie toothpaste is not mint, like it is here in the US?

Wrt lemonade, all "ade" is a cool refreshing drink made from fruit juice. Imo, carbonated beverages are not refreshing in the sense that they do not quench thirst.

Wanted to add "pants" to the list. Means trousers, not undergarments, in the US.

My Oxford English Dictionary lists "lemonade" as coming into the language from the French in the mid-seventeenth century.

The number one definition? A drink made of water, lemon juice, and sugar.

I'm pretty sure that Sprite (which first hit the market in 1961) wasn't around in the mid-seventeenth century.

OED rules.

Bill (traditionalist :D)

I'm not disputing the original definition. In fact, my post was specifically about how the usage might have changed in the UK.

As we have also learned on this thread, the English word 'jumper' and the French word 'jupe' (skirt) both come from the Arabic word 'jibba(h)' for a long loose coat-like garment.  Amusing as it would be if we insisted that British, French and American people had to wear the Arabic dress if they were going to use those words, that's not how language works.  

Nor am I saying 'god be with you' every time I say 'goodbye'

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 2

I'm not disputing the original definition. In fact, my post was specifically about how the usage might have changed in the UK.

Then we agree. Calling Sprite "lemonade" is a usurpation of the long established usage, and anti-traditionalist. Can't have that now, can we? :D

Bill

Skivvy = turtleneck !?!?I've never hear of a singular skivvy.

Skivvy is the non American term. It is near impossible to buy them in the US. My son wears them almost as a long undershirt in the winter.

He also wears singlets which are sleeveless undershirts.

• Like 1

Cream? As in the liquid you put in coffee? Because I can't imagine that.

No. Clotted cream. It's very thick cream. Unsweetened. It comes in small containers with a thick crust on the top. It's a similar thickness to butter. I come from the land of the cream tea so how you eat your scones is an important and ongoing local issue.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Edited by lailasmum
  • Like 4

No. Clotted cream. It's very thick cream. Unsweetened. It comes in small containers with a thick crust on the top. It's a similar thickness to butter. I come from the land of the cream tea so how you eat your scones is an important and ongoing local issue.

And then there's pronunciation.  Some say scone (like gone), some say scone (like own) and the place is Scone (like moon).

http://scone-palace.co.uk/

The 'cream tea' thing often confuses foreigners, because they assume that the cream will be in the cup of tea.  No, absolutely not.  Milk in the tea, clotted cream (as described by Lailasmum) on the scone with jam.

• Like 1

"Clotted" has a terrible connotation in my mind.  Like something gone bad.  I've definitely ever tasted or been served clotted cream.  

• Like 2

In what part of America is this true?  I've never heard swag used this way.

You go to a conference and show off your "Swag" -- the goodie bag you got from the conference.

It is NOT used for birthday parties goodie bags. Just the stuff you bring back from going to a place with businesses giving their stuff.

• Like 2

"Clotted" has a terrible connotation in my mind. Like something gone bad. I've definitely ever tasted or been served clotted cream.

As it happens it actually lasts better than most dairy. People post it as a holiday souvenir. The clotted refers to how it's made because the cream rises up in clots. It's like 60% fat. It's really delicious, more substantial than whipped cream.

• Like 3

Most of the world does not have root beer.

Shocking, I know.

And try to explain a root beer float to people who have never had root beer.... it never ends well.  :laugh:

"Wait, so it's like Coke, but then you pour it over ice cream. What? Isn't that nasty? Why only vanilla ice cream? Are you all mad??"

Coke floats are good too. And with chocolate or vanilla ice cream. Just saying.

I love this thread!  Dialects are so interesting!

And, yeah, when I read the word 'spider', my first thought was to wonder if that was a typo, and my second was to think that I'm not sure I'd want to eat anything called a spider.  So funny that Aussies find our name for them kind of gross, too.

My husband served a mission in Argentina, and the drink he loved called "limonada" there was similar to what we call limeade here in the US (like our lemonade, but with limes instead of lemons), but with sweetened condensed milk added.

I think there is a twisted sense of humor buried somewhere in the Aussie collective psyche.

Australian "bugs" are very tasty fresh-water crustaceans kind of like crawfish, only not.

• Like 1

Skivvy is the non American term. It is near impossible to buy them in the US. My son wears them almost as a long undershirt in the winter.

He also wears singlets which are sleeveless undershirts.

Impossible to buy what?  Underwear or turtleneck shirts?  :D 

I find both in many stores, and annually dump a load of outgrown turtleneck shirts on the local consignment shop.

• Like 2

I haven't had cassis soda but love cassis jam.

It is a bit of a different flavor though. (and didn't you say you also dislike concord grapes? How is that possible? ;) )

I haven't said a word about grapes (other than the post I just wrote while you posted that). No problems with concord grapes.

I haven't said a word about grapes (other than the post I just wrote while you posted that). No problems with concord grapes.

I was responding to Tanaqui. I think she mentioned disliking both black currants and concord grapes in an earlier post, though I may be mis-remembering.

Edited by maize

Off topic: orange juice and orange juice drink were a pet peeve of mine during my college year abroad.

My never-left-the U.S. girlfriend calls orange drinks like Hi-C "orange juice" and it drives me batty because I want the kids to know the difference!

What's a Concord grape?

The kind used for most grape juice in the US. It's a cultivar widely grown in California.

ETA actually I was wrong, just looked it up and they are mostly grown in the Eastern US not CA. I think I have some in my backyard. I also have black currants.

Edited by maize