Menu

280 odd socks were finally sorted today!

rose

Are you proud of me? I tackled my ridiculous sock pile. We can all have warm feet again in these frigid temperatures.

Socks are seriously the bane of my existence. I can't stand wearing odd socks. It's just wrong but I also can't throw away functional socks. I'm caught between a rock and hard place.

Why are there thousands of different types of socks in the world? Surely the world would be a better place if there were only 10 different types in all the different sizes.

• Like 7

I used to do it this way:

Each person gets a large-ish lingerie bag. They are responsible for putting their own dirty socks into their own lingerie bag. Wash and dry lingerie bags with the regular laundry. When done, hand the lingerie bags back to each person for them to sort and match their own socks.

Voila! Problem solved! Mom is off the hook!

Have you never heard of sock locks? The little plastic clips that keeps socks in their pairs as they wash?

I even trained DH to use these early in our marriage. I never have a sock pairing issue. None at all.

DS uses the mesh laundry bag thing and does his own laundry. So his are always together as well.

Holy crap.

I once had a sock crisis.  Really I was so frustrated with my husband's socks that I told him he is on his own with sorting his socks.  They are all black, but various shades of black, various lengths, various levels of thickness, other random variations....etc.  And I felt like I had to match them.  He doesn't see the differences so it doesn't drive him crazy.  He just puts them together whether they match or not.  I thought I might need a therapist after that.  :lol:

• Like 10

Socks are seriously the bane of my existence. I can't stand wearing odd socks. It's just wrong but I also can't throw away functional socks. I'm caught between a rock and hard place.

Why are there thousands of different types of socks in the world? Surely the world would be a better place if there were only 10 different types in all the different sizes.

Easy solution: just buy only one type of sock per family member. This way, there will never be singles if one gets a hole. And you see immediately whose socks they are.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 2

Holy crap.

I once had a sock crisis.  Really I was so frustrated with my husband's socks that I told him he is on his own with sorting his socks.  They are all black, but various shades of black, various lengths, various levels of thickness, other random variations....etc.  And I felt like I had to match them.  He doesn't see the differences so it doesn't drive him crazy.  He just puts them together whether they match or not.  I thought I might need a therapist after that.  :lol:

I don't pair DH's socks unless I see a matching pair on the clothesline. They are of varying types, but all black. His socks go into a box. The grown man is perfectly capable of finding himself two socks that are similar enough for him to wear.

• Like 3

A few months ago I threw out all of our socks. Now each person in the house has a certain type/color and matching socks is far less painful.

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

That's what I did. Simplified to the same styles for each size to make the sorting easier. It was hard to toss wearable socks but saved us much headache and they weren't items our Salvation Army would accept for donation.

Yes I hate the odd socks and Tupperware lids. Also the browny coloured textas.

What the what now? First the bickies that are or are not what we call scones (I still haven't figured it out) and now this. My brain is going to explode. 

(Good job, RoseM! That is a lot of socks.  :thumbup1: )

What the what now? First the bickies that are or are not what we call scones (I still haven't figured it out) and now this. My brain is going to explode. 

Bikkies are what you call cookies.

A texta is probably a marker. Brightly coloured, used by toddlers for scribbling on walls.

Bikkies are what you call cookies.

A texta is probably a marker. Brightly coloured, used by toddlers for scribbling on walls.

Thanks, Rosie! We were discussing bikkies on another thread, and someone defined them as follows: "A cookie. Short for biscuit. Which is not a scone. Which is what you call biscuits." She also said that Tim Tam's are not really bikkies. I am still confused and still longing for a Tim Tam. :)

• Like 2

Each person gets a large-ish lingerie bag. They are responsible for putting their own dirty socks into their own lingerie bag. Wash and dry lingerie bags with the regular laundry. When done, hand the lingerie bags back to each person for them to sort and match their own socks.

This is what I do too.  I even wrote everyone's name on their bag and put some hooks in the laundry room for the bags to hang on.  When doing laundry I can zip the sock bag and toss in wash.  Then hang another bag (everyone has about 3 bags). 

Made life so much easier.

• Like 2

Thanks, Rosie! We were discussing bikkies on another thread, and someone defined them as follows: "A cookie. Short for biscuit. Which is not a scone. Which is what you call biscuits." She also said that Tim Tam's are not really bikkies. I am still confused and still longing for a Tim Tam. :)

Lol and I call tim tams bikkies so obviously it's regional!

• Like 2

I don't know who said they weren't. Maybe she considers them their own special sub-category of bikkie? That would be fair, no?

Em. To get back on track- people who sort socks deserve Tim Tams. Yes indeedy.

Yes and yes...

I did some sock sorting myself today though not on that scale? Do I get some Tim Tams? Might need to go shopping now?

Did you bite the corners off and try to drink milo through tim tams when you were a kid or was it only is who were gross?

• Like 3

Are you proud of me? I tackled my ridiculous sock pile. We can all have warm feet again in these frigid temperatures.

I'm impressed!  What an accomplishment!

A few months ago I threw out all of our socks. Now each person in the house has a certain type/color and matching socks is far less painful.

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

I'm doing this same thing with all the male underwear in our house, now that two of the people have similar sizes. Each guy will have his separate brand with a different waistband so I can easily sort.

Edited by Serenade

I really like this idea.

• Like 1

I don't pair DH's socks unless I see a matching pair on the clothesline. They are of varying types, but all black. His socks go into a box. The grown man is perfectly capable of finding himself two socks that are similar enough for him to wear.

Yep

Now I either dump them in a pile on the washer until he does it or I just match them up whether or not they match.  Since he doesn't care, I just do it.

At one point I was tempted to throw all the socks out (or use them for something else) and buy all new socks that were all exactly the same.  That's what I do with the kids and me.  We have all the exact same socks.

That's my MIL's go to gift.  She often sends packages of socks.  Don't know what it is with that, but yep.  So I blame her.  :laugh:

I would not even be able to let one lone sock sit there, unmatched to its mate.  I can't imagine a pile growing.  I couldn't sleep at night! 

It either is matched and put away or thrown out (but I really can't remember throwing any out). 

Anyway, glad you got them where they needed to be.   I do like the idea of buying groups of socks for particular people. 

Edited by TranquilMind

:lol:  :hurray:  :hurray:  :lol:

Anyone else have

stuck in their head now? (Warning if you're not familiar, King Missile was a very low fi early 90's band that enjoyed profanity very much.)

Farrar, I wish I knew you in real life. You're awesome. That song is awesome. Those sock puppets are totally beyond awesome.

PS Is that the same band that does Detachable Penis? Sounds like it. I'll have to look that up now too. Oh, the 90s.

Then I'll watch old Presidents of the USA and maybe some They Might be Giants too.  :001_smile:

Edited by chocolate-chip chooky
  • Like 2

Good thing it was an even number, was my first thought.

I truly can't remember the last time I wore socks. 

Seriously? Do you wear shoes without? You obviously must live somewhere where it does not get cold. But also not wear heavy shoes.

I do occasionally wear closed-toe shoes that require socks, but I have *many* friends who never wear anything other than sandals.

Seriously? Do you wear shoes without? You obviously must live somewhere where it does not get cold. But also not wear heavy shoes.

Yep, seriously.

I'm in Queensland in Australia. Even our winters don't get very cold here. I go barefoot whenever possible eg right now.  If I must wear shoes, I usually wear strappy sandals. 

• Like 1

Farrar, I wish I knew you in real life. You're awesome. That song is awesome. Those sock puppets are totally beyond awesome.

PS Is that the same band that does Detachable Penis? Sounds like it. I'll have to look that up now too. Oh, the 90s.

Then I'll watch old Presidents of the USA and maybe some They Might be Giants too.  :001_smile:

And sometimes I feel like my sense of humor is lost on this board. ;)

Yes, same band! They also have a song about soap and mismemberment. Ah, 90's mixtapes.

• Like 1

Honestly, just reading the title of the thread made my eye twitch. ;-p

I'm not sure if I would sorted, or tossed them all and started over with new (and each person their own style and color). I do NOT like matching up socks!

**Meant to add that you totally rock!!**

Edited by StaceyinLA

Good thing it was an even number, was my first thought.

I truly can't remember the last time I wore socks. 

That would be pretty tough going around here.  But we have frigidly cold winters.  In summer I don't usually wear them.  Although I wear them if I wear sneakers and go to the gym or whatever.  If I don't wear socks and my feet sweat a lot they stink. 

Edited by SparklyUnicorn
  • Like 1

But it does get cold in your park. It snows. How does one hike in sandals?

It does get cold, but rarely snows. And there are sandals designed for hiking.

However, I was mostly talking about my city dwelling friends, not necessarily friends from here. And these are friends who would wear sandals regardless of how cold it is. (But it rarely got below, say 30-ish.)

Edited by Kinsa

Thanks, Rosie! We were discussing bikkies on another thread, and someone defined them as follows: "A cookie. Short for biscuit. Which is not a scone. Which is what you call biscuits." She also said that Tim Tam's are not really bikkies. I am still confused and still longing for a Tim Tam. :)

Which thread is this? I love reading about language differences!