Menu

Do you have pets?

mommyoffive

This is a timely thread for me. 

Rip  - Coco 9/04 - 12/6/16 a sweet, loving, peacful, gentle friend.  We will miss you. 

Our dog died last night.  We were lucky all off and at home.  She was my oldest son's and he laid down with her from 10 pm to 5 am as she passed in our basement.  Its been a sad day but she had good life.  My oldest son had issues with depression- suicidal  as a teen and she was his best friend and what really helped him.  My son is mentally healthy now and was prepared for her to die.  I'm just so grateful to her for giving my baby boy what he needed.   She was a gift to our family but especially to my oldest.

We now have a very old cat that showed up in our barn and a 6 yo cat

Thank you for sharing this.       :grouphug:  :grouphug: for you and your son.

Edited by debinindy
  • Like 3

Rip - Coco 9/04 - 12/6/16 a sweet, loving, peacful, gentle friend. We will miss you.

Our dog died last night. We were lucky all off and at home. She was my oldest son's and he laid down with her from 10 pm to 5 am as she passed in our basement. Its been a sad day but she had good life. My oldest son had issues with depression- suicidal as a teen and she was his best friend and what really helped him. My son is mentally healthy now and was prepared for her to die. I'm just so grateful to her for giving my baby boy what he needed. She was a gift to our family but especially to my oldest.

We now have a very old cat that showed up in our barn and a 6 yo cat

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

• Like 1

Rip  - Coco 9/04 - 12/6/16 a sweet, loving, peacful, gentle friend.  We will miss you. 

Our dog died last night.  We were lucky all off and at home.  She was my oldest son's and he laid down with her from 10 pm to 5 am as she passed in our basement.  Its been a sad day but she had good life.  My oldest son had issues with depression- suicidal  as a teen and she was his best friend and what really helped him.  My son is mentally healthy now and was prepared for her to die.  I'm just so grateful to her for giving my baby boy what he needed.   She was a gift to our family but especially to my oldest.

:grouphug:

:grouphug:   :grouphug:

• Like 1

Right now we have downsized to one dog. Unbelievable as it is to me! We once had numerous chicken, horses, a 4-H pig (I am counting Porker because I felt blessed to have had him for the short time - I loved tickling him behind his ears; he seemed to like it too), 3 dogs and 2 cats.

• Like 1

2 labs, 1 bunny, 1 conure and 6 chickens. We got the second lab and the chickens after our move to a house out in the country this year. I love animals but between them, homeschooling, and managing a larger property, I am thinking I have hit my limit for animals right now. I know I'm a pansy compared to some of the people on here, lol. 

• Like 1

We have one barn cat that is actually the queen of our porch.  Actually, we have two barn cats, but one apparently likes a neighbor better and only visits us when he feels like it.  And one 7 year old Jack Russell Terrier, who is my husband's spoiled rotten baby.  (Who has been sulky because dh is on a trip, and none of us here are as free with sneaky bits of dinner)

Edited by The Girls' Mom
  • Like 1

We currently have 

2 Portuguese Water dogs.  When Splash my beloved Portie died almost 3 yrs ago my dh quickly got me a new puppy who is now 2 1/2.  He is wonderful but he needed a lot of dog interaction to be happy so enter Portie number 2.  Piper joined our family in February last year and is now almost 1.  She is a delight and Jasper loves her and couldn't be happier.  Never thought I'd have two dogs at a time but they are so good for each other.

2 cats.  Hugo is one of the orphan kittens dh and daughter rescued and we bottle fed four years ago.  He is my daughter's cat.  She calls him her therapy cat, originally we were going to get her a shih tzu but Hugo is doing the job.  When she gets her infusions he curls up with her on the couch.  It's sweet.  He was supposed to be it as I don't like shedding in the house.  Last fall my son showed up with Sasha a kitten from a box outside the school.  She was supposed to live with ds but ended up ruling the house.

1 barn cat and mouser extraordinaire.  She is currently about 13 yrs old but still amazing.

6 steer dd is raising for beef in various stages of development.  She raises them in twos.  

1 snake and 1 alligator gar that live in my oldest ds's room that I never see thankfully.  He will move out soon and take them with him.

1 75 gallon fish tank that youngest ds is responsible for along with his dad.

In the past we've had as many as 8 cows, chickens, bearded dragons, hamsters and guinea pigs.

My preference would be the two dogs and nothing else but I'm okay with my little zoo for now.  

• Like 2

You're not quite in crazy territory yet. My DS is embarrassed to cat food shop with me, because people might think I'm a crazy cat lady. LOL

At my parents house (where I am staying currently) there are Six indoor cats right now, and several (10 or 12ish) barn cats.

Exactly zero of those cats were planned. Especially the barn cats, that population started due to a stray or drop-off appearing from nowhere and having kittens about 10 years ago. 4 of the indoor cats are barn cat kitten rescues for various reasons, one was a stray kitten picked up at a storage facility, and one was a gift from my aunt to my Dad.

Our home is only about a thousand square feet, so if you go by population density, we're pretty crazy. ;)

We had 4 cats at one point which exceeded the maximum legal limit in our city.  (Silly law IMO.)

They have now changed the law so you can have 6 dogs and/or cats.

We are up to 1 dog (Olivia Louise), 3 cats (Natalie Jayne, 19 years old and still spry, Frank Kennedy and Emmett Leigh).  We had a hamster, Mr. Horace Bartholomew Waffles, Esq. but he died recently, much to our sorrow.

My sympathies are with those who have recently lost pets.  It is so hard.  Natalie is 'my' cat and although still spry, she obviously is declining and I suspect might be gone within the year.  That will be hard, as she is my only cuddly cat.

• Like 1

Current collection:

3 cats 

1 bichon (who is sure he is the 3rd child  :001_rolleyes:)

a tank filled !! with tropical fish

6 chickens 

8 white palm turkeys (who are currently hatching chicks)

7 cows ..... we quickly learnt where the saying nosy old cow originated from.  Cows are so nosy!!)

5 sheep 

3 racing pigeons 

I've only listed animals that are named, and count as pets.

We had 4 cats at one point which exceeded the maximum legal limit in our city.  (Silly law IMO.)

They have now changed the law so you can have 6 dogs and/or cats.

We are up to 1 dog (Olivia Louise), 3 cats (Natalie Jayne, 19 years old and still spry, Frank Kennedy and Emmett Leigh).  We had a hamster, Mr. Horace Bartholomew Waffles, Esq. but he died recently, much to our sorrow.

My sympathies are with those who have recently lost pets.  It is so hard.  Natalie is 'my' cat and although still spry, she obviously is declining and I suspect might be gone within the year.  That will be hard, as she is my only cuddly cat.

Empathising with your loss!  

And seconding the bolded portion!

(fun to see that your pets have 2 names :) )