Menu

Have you ever reported a post?

Have you ever reported a post?  

1. 1. Have you ever reported a post?

• Yes, I've reported a post to the moderators.
    • No, I've never reported a post to the moderators.
    • I've never reported a post, but I have messaged the moderators.
    • Other (I don't really care about reporting and just want to vote so the results are skewed)

I have to admit I was surprised to hear several people mention that they'd reported posts. Does this make the moderators' job harder or easier?

I'll admit I've never reported a post, because I thought it was akin to tattling and I figured since the moderators monitor the boards already they don't need us butting in. But maybe I'm wrong in this thinking and they do appreciate the help?

I guess I also lean toward not deleting others' posts even if they are offensive because it shows their true colors and all that. Since we're all adults we can just roll our eyes and go on our merry way.

So, I guess I should actually be asking the moderators whether or not it helps them to report a post and if they'd rather we report them or just ignore them rather than having them decide whether or not to delete the post or the whole thread. But I've heard several people say they've never received a response from a moderator when they messaged them and I figure they're pretty busy anyway, so why bother?

I reported a post today that I felt was clearly against board rules, when it comes to bashing a particular religion.

This board is so busy, that I think it would be difficult for the admins/mods to read every single post, and so I think a heads up about really serious posts is reasonable. (Though I'm sure the admins/mods carefuly read the more heated threads, so would probably read the post themselves.) But for me, I can't sit back and ignore hate-filled speech and pretend it's okay. It's not.

This board is so busy, that I think it would be difficult for the admins/mods to read every single post, and so I think a heads up about really serious posts is reasonable. (Though I'm sure the admins/mods carefuly read the more heated threads, so would probably read the post themselves.) But for me, I can't sit back and ignore hate-filled speech and pretend it's okay. It's not.

:iagree:

I actually reported two posts the other day (first time ever) because they were reviving topics that had been locked the previous day. I have friends who moderate other boards and I know that they don't always have time to read every post that is made so I think that it makes their life easier if they can just go and read the posts that someone had a problem with. Then they can make the decision to lock, delete or do nothing. I have only ever reported those two posts.

I have seen several other posts that I found offensive but I didn't report them because I wasn't sure if I was just offended because they were being mean to my candidate or not. So I chose to just move on. One of the ones I had passed on actually got deleted as well so maybe I wasn't so wrong :D

I can't remember. :confused: I am pretty sure I"ve reported vulgar spam...and I certainly would report a verbal attack on any of our posters....but usually someone else beats me to the worst of them.

Now would someone please direct me to the thread that several of you thought of reporting this morning?

I can't remember. :confused: I am pretty sure I"ve reported vulgar spam...and I certainly would report a verbal attack on any of our posters....but usually someone else beats me to the worst of them.

Now would someone please direct me to the thread that several of you thought of reporting this morning?

It's been deleted.

The one time I reported a post was because the post was SPAM and I wanted to call the moderators' attention to it.

Oops, should've had that as an option in the poll. I didn't know some people only reported spam.

I reported a post today that I felt was clearly against board rules, when it comes to bashing a particular religion.

Well, sure, you can always respond to the posts that cause eye-rolling. I'm not saying you have to ignore it. I guess it would seem I was saying that because I said "as adults we can roll our eyes and go on our merry way." But, no, I think it's your choice whether or not to respond. I think it's good that people feel comfortable enough on this forum to respond and correct any misconceptions.

I think I'm hesitant to report posts because on the old boards, when someone posted "troll" or "spam" underneath a suspicious post or when someone posted a reminder to read the board rules, the moderator posted a "please don't do our job" kinda thing. So I got the impression they were annoyed when people tried to "help" by pointing out the troll or spam posts or by saying "the board rules state ..." So, I'm still wondering what it is the moderators prefer. If the boards move so fast they can't keep up with the posts (and I can so easily relate to this), do they want people to report posts?

But then it leads to the next question, "Which posts?" Spam, okay. Offensive? Hmmm, that gets trickier. That can be very subjective, so whose standards do we go by? Are you (not you personally, the collective you) offended because someone dares post a critical perspective (video, link, article, blog, etc.) about your candidate, homeschooling style, religious affiliation, moral beliefs? Do you report it because you disagree?

I actually reported two posts the other day (first time ever) because they were reviving topics that had been locked the previous day. I have friends who moderate other boards and I know that they don't always have time to read every post that is made so I think that it makes their life easier if they can just go and read the posts that someone had a problem with. Then they can make the decision to lock, delete or do nothing. I have only ever reported those two posts.

I have seen several other posts that I found offensive but I didn't report them because I wasn't sure if I was just offended because they were being mean to my candidate or not. So I chose to just move on. One of the ones I had passed on actually got deleted as well so maybe I wasn't so wrong

(emphasis mine) Very wise. I, too, have to figure out whether I dislike a post because of my personal "bias" or because it truly is hogwash.

I never have, but did seriously consider doing so this morning.

I think I know to what you're referring and I can understand the feeling. I'm glad people chose to respond to that post in an effort to point out 1) the error of that statement, and 2) the offensiveness of the post. I prefer that to deletions. I guess I'm still a Pollyanna in that I hope some people will still be able to see another point of view from posts with different perspectives.

Whatever I said, I'm sorry! Please don't report me!

Oh, you're just asking for it now. :tongue_smilie:

I did once. It was a spam post and very vulgar.

I have never reported fellow board members. I usually PM my pals and say so-and-so's opinion is bothering me.

(emphasis mine) This is very interesting. I didn't know some people used this criterion.

I can't remember. I've considered it a time or two, but I think the threads were deleted by the time I made up my mind.

I thought about it today, but I decided to respond in the thread instead.

I'm glad you did. I think we get more out of conversations like that rather than multiple deletions.

I've never reported one. I have sat here with my mouth hanging open a time or two because I knew the poster was "gonna get it" from other members.

:lol: Laughing at "gonna get it" and hearing kids' voices in my head: Oooo, you're gonna get it!

have all been spam, not legitimate posters.

As above, I didn't know some people used that criterion.

I can't remember. I am pretty sure I"ve reported vulgar spam...and I certainly would report a verbal attack on any of our posters....but usually someone else beats me to the worst of them.

It's been deleted.

I have never run across spam (on this board, I did a few times on the old one) so I have never felt the need to.

I do have an uncanny urge to report this thread.:lol:

:D

I never have.

So, to those that haven't, what is/are your reason/s?

I've reported spam.

I never catch on that anything else is happening, like flame wars. I live in my own little happy place, la la la.

Cheers! :cheers2:

I never have but wanted to today. :)

Are you glad the whole thread was deleted? Or do you think just that post should've been deleted? Or more than one post? Or none of the above?

Daily. The last couple of days, hourly.

Wow.

Nope. Never even thought about doing so.

(I'm practically perfect in every way. :D)

:lol:

Edited by Apiphobic

I've reported maybe a dozen posts, most of these for offensive statements (I mean truly offensive, not philosophically so) and a couple for copyright infringement (250 word fair use provision exceeded). The latter posts don't get deleted, just trimmed.

I have when I have seen spam - folks who just joined to try to sell stuff unrelated to homeschooling.

Oooh... and I've reported spam too, but I don't count that.

I've actually never reported posts, but as election time nears I have tried my best to stay off the General Board. I have found multiple posts throughout the month that are questionable. I notice that there a few people (from both parties) that post emotionally rather than factually. I have always been the type to shy away from conflict and these posts tend to make me VERY uncomfortable. I don't know if it's my vivid imagination but I feel if we were sitting in a room together discussing some of these topics voices would be raised and chairs would be flying. Jerry Springer was never the show for me.:tongue_smilie:

I haven't reported anything and honestly haven't thought about it, because the moderators seem to be pretty quick to delete stuff. The times I've thought messages were pushing the envelope or were blatantly rude, they were deleted or the entire threads were gone within a short time. And, I figure, if I read a thread and don't like how it's going, I'm not going to fuel the fire and argue with someone who's decided to be hostile. It's not worth my time.

If I saw SPAM I'd report it but I haven't see any of that on the new board, either.

I've never reported one, but like someone else said, this morning I read a subject post and my mouth hung open, thinking she was setting herself up to be flamed by the very poor wording she used. I was thinking maybe she hadn't been around long enough to realize that we are a vary diverse lot here and not just cookie-cutter ideas floating about.

Yes, it was on this forum that I broke my longstanding record of refusing to report message board posts. This is my 13th year of internet use.
I've been on the Internet a bit longer, but this is also the first forum in which I've reported any post other than spam. I think part of it is that I simply expect more and better of people here, though I'll admit that I'm sometimes disillusioned, particularly during this election cycle.

Oops, should've had that as an option in the poll. I didn't know some people only reported spam.

Well, sure, you can always respond to the posts that cause eye-rolling. I'm not saying you have to ignore it. I guess it would seem I was saying that because I said "as adults we can roll our eyes and go on our merry way." But, no, I think it's your choice whether or not to respond. I think it's good that people feel comfortable enough on this forum to respond and correct any misconceptions.

I think I'm hesitant to report posts because on the old boards, when someone posted "troll" or "spam" underneath a suspicious post or when someone posted a reminder to read the board rules, the moderator posted a "please don't do our job" kinda thing. So I got the impression they were annoyed when people tried to "help" by pointing out the troll or spam posts or by saying "the board rules state ..." So, I'm still wondering what it is the moderators prefer. If the boards move so fast they can't keep up with the posts (and I can so easily relate to this), do they want people to report posts?

But then it leads to the next question, "Which posts?" Spam, okay. Offensive? Hmmm, that gets trickier. That can be very subjective, so whose standards do we go by? Are you (not you personally, the collective you) offended because someone dares post a critical perspective (video, link, article, blog, etc.) about your candidate, homeschooling style, religious affiliation, moral beliefs? Do you report it because you disagree?

(emphasis mine) Very wise. I, too, have to figure out whether I dislike a post because of my personal "bias" or because it truly is hogwash.

I think I know to what you're referring and I can understand the feeling. I'm glad people chose to respond to that post in an effort to point out 1) the error of that statement, and 2) the offensiveness of the post. I prefer that to deletions. I guess I'm still a Pollyanna in that I hope some people will still be able to see another point of view from posts with different perspectives.

(emphasis mine) This is very interesting. I didn't know some people used this criterion.

I'm glad you did. I think we get more out of conversations like that rather than multiple deletions.

:lol: Laughing at "gonna get it" and hearing kids' voices in my head: Oooo, you're gonna get it!

As above, I didn't know some people used that criterion.

So, to those that haven't, what is/are your reason/s?

Are you glad the whole thread was deleted? Or do you think just that post should've been deleted? Or more than one post? Or none of the above?

Wow.

I am so impressed at how you multi quote. Could someone explain how you do that????

by the way, My signature, that I thought was funny was reported by someone. She said she did. I haven't heard from the moderators, so I figure it was not a big deal except to her, but I changed it anyway. I'm that kinda nice person (on non-hormonal days). Besides I will probably forget what I said a minute ago anyway:D

I am so impressed at how you multi quote. Could someone explain how you do that????

by the way, My signature, that I thought was funny was reported by someone. She said she did. I haven't heard from the moderators, so I figure it was not a big deal except to her, but I changed it anyway. I'm that kinda nice person (on non-hormonal days). Besides I will probably forget what I said a minute ago anyway:D

Anything you want to quote has to be in between two of these

The only difference is, the second one has to have a "/" in front of the word "quote." The problem with showing it to you is that whatever I type then turns into a quote, and you can't see it!

So it's

then type or copy what you want quoted here, then end it by typing
on the second one in the set.

Try it, and see if it works for you.

The only difference is, the second one has to have a "/" in front of the word "quote." The problem with showing it to you is that whatever I type then turns into a quote, and you can't see it!

So it's

Next to the Quote button is a button with "+ on it. Click on that button for each post you want to quote. When you're ready to post, click the Post Reply button.

I hit the quote with the plus sign on it and nothing happened, was I suppose to do something before I hit that?

I may have to live with the fact I am technologically inept. And I am good with that. I will just admire those that can!!:bigear:

oh wow I really hit too many buttons here didn't I????

I hit the quote with the plus sign on it and nothing happened, was I suppose to do something before I hit that?

I may have to live with the fact I am technologically inept. And I am good with that. I will just admire those that can!!

When you click the "+ button it turns red. That means it's quoted. When you click Post Reply, type your answer below the text that's already inserted in your box. That'll be your response.

Next to the Quote button is a button with "+ on it. Click on that button for each post you want to quote. When you're ready to post, click the Post Reply button.

testing testing!!

Writing inbetween you!!

So it's

I am trying and I think I did it!! Soo Cool!!
I have never reported a post but have definitely placed people on my ignore list. I also try to stay away from the political threads as much as possible. If I visited more of those I would probably have more cause to consider using that option.

Sorry Dawn!! I am just playing because I like these threads better than the ones I have been posting on!! Everyone is being nice on this!!Keeps me inline!!:lol:

I DID IT!!! I DID IT!! Thank you ladies!

Edited by sunshine

posts that cause eye-rolling.

I think I'm hesitant

But then it leads to the next question,

truly is hogwash.

people will still be able to see another point of view from posts with different perspectives.

(emphasis mine)

multiple deletions.

Oooo, you're gonna get it!

As above

So, to those that haven't,

Gee, api, with skills like these, how could anyone ever put you on Ignore?

...deciding to change your quote on your own.

There has been at least one signature, relatively recently (politically related) that I found horribly offensive, but I didn't report it. I think I've emailed about a post once, in all my years of coming to the boards; I figure they have enough folks alerting them, already, lol.

Anyway, evidently someone else reported the signature I found so disrespectful, but the Powers That Be decided to let it remain, and I figure that their decision is their choice, and if I choose to remain here, I need to Get Over decisions I disagree with. ::Shrug::

But I think that sensitivity is a good thing. Within reason, of course...we'd have pretty bland signatures/posts/comments if we couldn't feel free to express a little individuality...but it makes me smile to see someone choose to be a little more respectful, and I just wanted to tell you that.

...deciding to change your quote on your own.

There has been at least one signature, relatively recently (politically related) that I found horribly offensive, but I didn't report it. I think I've emailed about a post once, in all my years of coming to the boards; I figure they have enough folks alerting them, already, lol.

Anyway, evidently someone else reported the signature I found so disrespectful, but the Powers That Be decided to let it remain, and I figure that their decision is their choice, and if I choose to remain here, I need to Get Over decisions I disagree with. ::Shrug::

But I think that sensitivity is a good thing. Within reason, of course...we'd have pretty bland signatures/posts/comments if we couldn't feel free to express a little individuality...but it makes me smile to see someone choose to be a little more respectful, and I just wanted to tell you that.

thank you for telling me that. I appreciate it alot!!

I reported one ages ago, from the old boards. Remember that gal, what was her name, JGM or JMG or something like that who fed us a line of lies...

I didn't report her. Members of the board posted her real name. When people started posting her home address, I did report that. Her name was one thing, but I felt it was wrong to post her home address in case she (or he) or whomever it was actually had children.