Menu

Instant Pot is on sale again! $68 today only (7 in1)

ktgrok

I wanted a success after my sort-of-failed beef stew so I made hard boiled eggs (we snack on them) using This Old Gal's method. They came out perfect and are super easy to peel. I just used my cheap-o collapsible steamer that I use for stove top steaming - this kind. I'll eventually get a basket but for now the one I have will work fine. I'm also sure I'll invest in some extra silicone rings. Other than that, I plan to take it slow and try not to go crazy over accessories. The only other thing that might be worth it is a glass lid. 

• Like 1

I wanted a success after my sort-of-failed beef stew so I made hard boiled eggs (we snack on them) using This Old Gal's method. They came out perfect and are super easy to peel. I just used my cheap-o collapsible steamer that I use for stove top steaming - this kind. I'll eventually get a basket but for now the one I have will work fine. I'm also sure I'll invest in some extra silicone rings. Other than that, I plan to take it slow and try not to go crazy over accessories. The only other thing that might be worth it is a glass lid. 

I love her instructions.  "Open when you feel like it."

• Like 1

So the verdict is in on my first use of the Instant Pot. My pork loin with potatoes, carrots, and a whole bunch of fresh herbs came out amazing! The kids each had seconds, which is a sure sign it's a winner I loosely followed this recipe http://amazingonepotmeals.com/pressure-cooker-pork-roast/

Only changes I made was using more potatoes and carrots and just dumping in whatever herbs I had that went well together. It was awesome! Only problem... too little pork loin.

• Like 2

I made my own version of "Mongolian beef" and it was just fine except the sauté doesn't seem to get hot enough for a sauté, does it? I was a bit impatient bc DS had class at 6 and dumpled all the veggies in with the dubiously sautéed meat and it tasted about as good as one can expect London broil to taste.

My friend just sent me videos of her making yogurt with the same milk I use (we get it from same farm) so that's tomorrow.

Though I'm now pondering the fact that instant pot yogurt making videos are the sexiest mail I receive these days. Fermentation for the win.

I made my own version of "Mongolian beef" and it was just fine except the sauté doesn't seem to get hot enough for a sauté, does it? I was a bit impatient bc DS had class at 6 and dumpled all the veggies in with the dubiously sautéed meat and it tasted about as good as one can expect London broil to taste.

My friend just sent me videos of her making yogurt with the same milk I use (we get it from same farm) so that's tomorrow.

Though I'm now pondering the fact that instant pot yogurt making videos are the sexiest mail I receive these days. Fermentation for the win.

Did you have the saute set to less, normal, or more? When I browned my pork today I had it to normal, which is what the manual suggests for browning. It was plenty hot. Apparently, the more setting is for stir frying.

Did you have the saute set to less, normal, or more? When I browned my pork today I had it to normal, which is what the manual suggests for browning. It was plenty hot. Apparently, the more setting is for stir frying.

I only have a few seconds to change from normal to high after hitting "sauté" do I? Because I kept trying to uncle ease after the fact and nothing budged from "normal".

I only have a few seconds to change from normal to high after hitting "sauté" do I? Because I kept trying to uncle ease after the fact and nothing budged from "normal".

From my reading of the manual yes, I could be wrong. But I think you could just hit cancel then saute again and change it to more. It took me some time to fiddle with it before I figured out the right buttons to press before it started.

Since this will make yogurt---we prefer plain Greek-style strained yogurt and just mix in flavorings. Are there particular items that would help in this?

Is there a link to the big FB group folks are talking about?

Thanks!

You can get a greek yogurt strainer on amazon. 

SaveSave

<snip>

Since this will make yogurt---we prefer plain Greek-style strained yogurt and just mix in flavorings. Are there particular items that would help in this?

<snip>

I use a fine-mesh strainer, a coffee filter, and a bowl to strain my yogurt.  It does take a few "batches" to do it because coffee filters are small.  If I ever get to a fabric store, I'll get some cheesecloth to line the strainer so I can do more at once.  

• Like 2

Oh, and as of very late last night there was a spring form pan that fits for only $10. At that price, I ordered one even though I have no business eating cheesecake, lol. (and may even HAVE a pan that size..now that I think about it. But I think mine is non stick and that wouldn't be good in a pressure cooker i don't think. )

edited to add: The one I ordered is also non stick. Oops. I guess it is okay. I'll check, if I already have one that size I'll give this one to my mom..I bought her an IP for Christmas. 

Edited by ktgrok

Oh, and as of very late last night there was a spring form pan that fits for only $10. At that price, I ordered one even though I have no business eating cheesecake, lol. (and may even HAVE a pan that size..now that I think about it. But I think mine is non stick and that wouldn't be good in a pressure cooker i don't think. )

edited to add: The one I ordered is also non stick. Oops. I guess it is okay. I'll check, if I already have one that size I'll give this one to my mom..I bought her an IP for Christmas.

Someone on the FB group linked above made a lasagna in her springform pan. Le sigh. I wish I liked cooking.

It's still on sale today if there are any other holdouts like me.  With as much food as my kids eat I know the 8 qt will be a better fit for us but they just don't want to put that on sale.  I don't have room for 2 so it makes more sense to just buy what is best upfront but it is so tempting. 

• Like 1

My yogurt is so so. The texture is great but it acquired the taste of the dinner I made. Which is fine because I can use this batch in cooking rather than just eating straight. I knew this could happen and have another ring on my wish list for Christmas. But the lid still smells like dinner last night so what if it wasn't just the sealing ring causing the issue

I use a fine-mesh strainer, a coffee filter, and a bowl to strain my yogurt.  It does take a few "batches" to do it because coffee filters are small.  If I ever get to a fabric store, I'll get some cheesecloth to line the strainer so I can do more at once.  

At one of our woowoo organic stores I found a muslin reusable coffee filter.  I haven't tried it for yogurt concentration, but I'll bet it would work.  And they came in different sizes--I got a size 6 cone one that would probably hold quite a bit.

• Like 1

My yogurt is so so. The texture is great but it acquired the taste of the dinner I made. Which is fine because I can use this batch in cooking rather than just eating straight. I knew this could happen and have another ring on my wish list for Christmas. But the lid still smells like dinner last night so what if it wasn't just the sealing ring causing the issue

Several of us are using denture tabs to remove any odors from the ring. Either use them dish big enough to cover the ring or ziploc.

• Like 3

It's still on sale today if there are any other holdouts like me. With as much food as my kids eat I know the 8 qt will be a better fit for us but they just don't want to put that on sale. I don't have room for 2 so it makes more sense to just buy what is best upfront but it is so tempting.

This is me too. In talking to DH he said the bigger one would be better. Until I told him the price and then he thought the 6qt would be just fine. 😅 I want the big one too, but I need to know I am actually going to use this appliance before I soend that much on one.

This is me too. In talking to DH he said the bigger one would be better. Until I told him the price and then he thought the 6qt would be just fine. 😅 I want the big one too, but I need to know I am actually going to use this appliance before I soend that much on one.

That is why I got the 6qt. My thought is if I use it for a year and really get a lot of use out of it then I will happily purchase the 8 qt and not feel guilty at all. Then I'd either pass the 6qt to someone else or simply use it for the random times I want 2.

That is why I got the 6qt. My thought is if I use it for a year and really get a lot of use out of it then I will happily purchase the 8 qt and not feel guilty at all. Then I'd either pass the 6qt to someone else or simply use it for the random times I want 2.

I thought about that but I already have a 10 quart stove top version that I use on occasion (although more now that they are more recipes readily available) so I already know I'd use it and am just looking for something a bit more convenient than what I have. I just hate to spend the money only to replace it in short order.  Plus DH and I made a list of things we wanted to buy this season but many of them were with the caveat that only if they were on a great sale that wasn't likely to be found at other times of the year.  So I'm resisting the urge to buy the smaller one that I know I won't be happy with long term because it wasn't on my "wish list" and I'm trying to be good but it's so hard!!!

Edited by cjzimmer1

Yeah, my lid still smells like the stew I made two nights ago even though I washed all the parts in hot, soapy water. I'm not going to wait for Christmas to get extra rings. 

Several of us are using denture tabs to remove any odors from the ring. Either use them dish big enough to cover the ring or ziploc.

I'll try denture tabs. What do you mean by ziploc bag? Do you fill the bag with water and put the denture tab in?

Edited by Lady Florida.

Yeah, my lid still smells like the stew I made two nights ago even though I washed all the parts in hot, soapy water. I'm not going to wait for Christmas to get extra rings.

I'll try denture tabs. What do you mean by ziploc bag? Do you fill the bag with water and put the denture tab in?

Filled the bag with water and the tab. Then put the ring in and seal.

Also, putting the ring in the freezer for a few hours works but I find if I have made something that is really strong, the tabs work better.

• Like 2

It's still on sale today if there are any other holdouts like me. With as much food as my kids eat I know the 8 qt will be a better fit for us but they just don't want to put that on sale. I don't have room for 2 so it makes more sense to just buy what is best upfront but it is so tempting.

So I did end up buying and shipping one to my best friend. she's trying to lose weight, her husband has type 2 diabetes, and she is a working mom and just super busy and time crunched. Hoping it helps. We don't usually buy for each other, so I sent it from "Santa and Mrs. Claus". Even if she figures it out, hopefully she won't feel a need to reciprocate. 

• Like 4

Well I am peeved already. The inside of the pot does not match the diagram in the manual. Turns out I have a different kind of anti-block shield. But, I can't find any help on getting the thing off. I have a low tolerance for fiddly appliances so am ready to pack it up and send back.

Ok, while I was typing madly my daughter got it for me. Moving on...

Well I am peeved already. The inside of the pot does not match the diagram in the manual. Turns out I have a different kind of anti-block shield. But, I can't find any help on getting the thing off. I have a low tolerance for fiddly appliances so am ready to pack it up and send back.

I caved in and bought one. But help! I cannot find the antiblock shield anywhere! Where did you find yours?

Our first recipe we tried was Kalua Pork and Cabbage: http://nomnompaleo.com/post/111934821818/pressure-cooker-kalua-pig

The pork was a little bland (maybe I underestimated the amount of salt needed?), but with the addition of BBQ sauce or (for the low carbers) guacamole, it was great. We like our cabbage with butter, so when the cabbage was done cooking, I added a melted stick of butter before serving. Yum.

OK, hooray I am finally in possession of my IP. To amazon's credit, the customer service rep made good on their shipping delay.

That's great news!

Do you have the round one or the oblong one? I had the same problem with my first IP, the 6-in-1. I found it easily, but I sliced my fingers open on those ridges trying to get the dang thing off! I finally covered it with a dish towel and pushed it from the side and it popped off. It definitely loosens up the more you do it. 

Thank you Margaret! I found a youtube video after posting the question. :laugh: Yes, it's a pesky little thing. I used a small spoon to pry it off. Don't think I damaged anything. :mellow:

Try bracing both your thumbs on one side and pushing sideways. It gets easier!

• Like 3