Menu

Almost 39 weeks, no name for this baby boy. . .

What shall we name this boy?  

1. 1. What shall we name this boy?

• Isaac Timothy
    • Benjamin Joseph
    • Josiah Caleb
    • Noah Gabriel
    • Elijah Daniel

We are really at an impass. We can not come up with a name to save our lives. This is ds #2 with 5 girls in the middle. It shouldn't be this hard. It must be biblical and must have 5 syllables between the first and middle name. Here is the list in no particular order as we can't decide which one we like:

Isaac Timothy

Benjamin Joseph

Josiah Caleb

Noah Gabirel

Elijah Daniel

Please vote

LOL. We have an Isaac, a Benjamin, and a Josiah. We also have one with the middle name Joseph, and Timothy has nearly always been in the running. Of your choices, Isaac is my favorite. Our Isaac is 14yo now and I am still in love with the name. It's solid, timeless, masculine, and can't be shortened. So, I voted for Isaac.

Something to think about with Benjamin is whether or not you like the nickname Ben. We didn't think about that for some reason and are constantly battling to keep him called Benjamin. (Ben is a fine name, but our family had two black sheep in it, both named Ben.)

I like Josiah, too, but I think it will end up being trendy. We used it anyway as he is named after my great, great....uncle Josiah Bartlett who signed the Declaration of Independence.

Let us know what you choose! And congratulations.

ETA: Btw, I think you are doing the opposite of what we did. We had a girl first, then 5 boys, and finally #7 was another girl.

Edited by Luann in ID
added

LOL. We have an Isaac, a Benjamin, and a Josiah. We also have one with the middle name Joseph, and Timothy has nearly always been in the running. Of your choices, Isaac is my favorite. Our Isaac is 14yo now and I am still in love with the name. It's solid, timeless, masculine, and can't be shortened. So, I voted for Isaac.

Something to think about with Benjamin is whether or not you like the nickname Ben. We didn't think about that for some reason and are constantly battling to keep him called Benjamin. (Ben is a fine name, but our family had two black sheep in it, both named Ben.)

I like Josiah, too, but I think it will end up being trendy. We used it anyway as he is named after my great, great....uncle Josiah Bartlett who signed the Declaration of Independence.

Let us know what you choose! And congratulations.

ETA: Btw, I think you are doing the opposite of what we did. We had a girl first, then 5 boys, and finally #7 was another girl.

i

That is funny that we are backwards of you. I look at your names in your signature and we also have a Rachel and a Sarah.

I agree with the Benjamin/Ben thing. We have a Samuel and he is called Samuel, but some still insist on calling him Sam. It has grown on us though and doesn't bother us. I don't like Eli for Elijah either, so that is hindering there too.

Well, we will let you know. I have been having contractions for a week, but nothing significant yet.

Edited by Marie in Oh

We are really at an impass. We can not come up with a name to save our lives. This is ds #2 with 5 girls in the middle. It shouldn't be this hard. It must be biblical and must have 5 syllables between the first and middle name. Here is the list in no particular order as we can't decide which one we like:

Isaac Timothy (difficult to spell first name. Don't like the first name beginning with a vowel and the second with a consonant. It just looks wrong to me written)

Benjamin Joseph

Josiah Caleb (these names are too trendy right now)

Noah Gabirel (middle name, though Biblical is often used in derivatives as a girl's name.)

Elijah Daniel (first name is also too trendy right now)

Please vote

I picked Benjamin Joseph by process of elimination, see above.

I like Benjamin Joseph because it can be shortened to Ben if desired, is not trendy, and has a nice flow. While I "like" the other names, I would choose this one.

;)

:D . . . there are some practical benefits. It is in keeping with the current decade's trends, but is not as super-trendy as Jacob, Noah, or Joshua.

It passes the backdoor test. (Try yelling it: "IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII-saac!" Doesn't that work well?)

It won't be automatically shortened the way Daniel, Stephen, or Michael would be.

It's annoying to have to correct people's spelling, true.

I agree with Sarah and particularly like the way Isaac Benjamin flows. And I also agree that the only annoying thing about Isaac is correcting everyone's spelling. Other than that, it is in my mind the most perfect boy's name.

Funny that your other son is named Samuel. That's our son Micah's middle name, and I kicked myself ever after for using it up as a middle name because our Benjamin would have surely been Samuel had we forseen that we would need so many boys' names.

I also wanted to mention that we did consider the name Noah. It is a nice solid name. However we pictured ourselves saying to 2yo Noah, "No, no, Noah, no no" all the time and we weren't sure we could get used to that.

ETA: You could always do what we did for Benjamin, and draw his name out of a hat. We put our final choices in a hat and Benjamin was picked and that is how our poor fifth son was named. The other choices in the hat were Timothy, Josiah, and Jonathan.

Edited by Luann in ID
added

Our Isaac is 14yo now and I am still in love with the name. It's solid, timeless, masculine, and can't be shortened.

Ummmm .... Isaac can't be shortened? LOL. What about Ike? I love the name Ike. You're right, though, Isaac is also a great name.

Well, I love the name Josiah, so I had to vote for that. I notice that a lot of people voted for Benjamin Joseph. I like the name Benjamin, but it just doesn't seem to go with Joseph so well because they were brothers in the Bible, and it just sounds like a list of the names of Jacob's sons.

I voted for Benjamin Joseph, because I liked the idea of putting the two favorite sons together. I also like that it can be shortened to BJ, because we are big nickname people. I noticed that you mentioned you don't like to shorten names, so maybe that is a downside for you. Good luck with your delivery.

Very nice names! What comes to my mind, and this is just me:

1. I would want the first and middle names to flow with the last name. So I kinda wish I knew your last name in order to vote, but that's okay. ;)

2. I would try to stay away from initials that spell funky 3 letter words ~ if possible. :lol:

3. The meanings of names are somewhat important to me.

I do agree with a previous poster that one of these combinations just might "click" after you see the little guy for the first time.

My personal favorite: Either Josiah Caleb or Caleb Josiah ~ trendy or not, I really do like these names. Have fun!

I'm voting for Benjamin, although Joseph probably isn't my most favorite middle name for it (but I do like it!). I love the name Benjamin, but I don't think we will ever be able to name a son of ours that name. When my brother and sister-in-law were pregnant a few years ago with their first, they picked out Benjamin as their choice if they had a boy. They had a girl instead, but that was the only boy name they could agree on, so I would feel terrible if we ever used it (having already used several other Biblical boy names, LOL) and they did end up having a boy at some later point! So I'll vote for it for others, LOL.

I'm glad you posted--I was thinking about you and wondering how you were doing! : )

Ummmm .... Isaac can't be shortened? LOL. What about Ike? I love the name Ike. You're right, though, Isaac is also a great name.

Wow. I guess I was wrong. I never thought of it before because no one has ever tried that one on us. My dad did call him Zac for awhile, but I think he honestly couldn't remember his name. That happens when you have 12 kids. The grandparents start forgetting names, lol.

I don't like Eli for Elijah either, so that is hindering there too.

I have an Elijah and there has never been a problem with him being called Eli- he won't answer to it :lol:. A few times people tried it but quickly realized that no, he is indeed Elijah. Also, unlike Ben or Sam, Eli was someone else. The only problem I have with Elijah is sometimes I get asked is it "Eli-JAH or Eli-SHAH" but that is rare. I love the name, obviously. We also named our lost baby Benjamin so I like that one too.

However we pictured ourselves saying to 2yo Noah, "No, no, Noah, no no" all the time and we weren't sure we could get used to that.

For a little while my baby girl, just after she turned 2 would say, when she was playing rather than demanding, "No-ah!" with a rise in pitch and accent on the ah to any question such as: What's your name? or Can I tickle you? or Can you say yes? etc. She seriously would answer that her name was Noah :lol:

Our family knows children by both names and both boys are very sweet. Noah has been a favorite name of mine for years.

For our children's names we've considered the meaning of the name to be very important and we are very partial to Old Testament names (we just love 'em). :)

Hope you pick the one that suits him best.

We made a short list and waited until the child was born to see which name she looked like. It still took the whole hospital stay to decide and the birth vital statistics person had to rush my paperwork on my last dd.

The problem with this though, is that all our babies' hospital memorabilia says "Baby Girl" + last name.