Menu

Healing Our Country, Calling Out Racist, Sexist, Bigoted Language

umsami

I have some concerns about the safety pin thing, though. It seems like it's meant to put oneself on a pedestal. It strikes me as saying, "oh, ask me about this safety pin, so I can tell you how open, loving and evolved I am." How about, "Ye will know them by their fruits"?

It makes me think of the Star-Bellied Sneeches, personally. I would hate to think it becomes a code by which people who happen to not be wearing a safety pin, or who don't jump on such bandwagons, or who haven't heard of it, may be looked at askance. "Hmmm. No safety pin...she must be one of those secret racist/islamaphobe/homophobe people."

To me, wearing a pin is like wearing a religious symbol in that it identifies the wearer of belonging to a particular group with shared beliefs. It doesn't suggest those who wear a safety pin put themselves on a moral pedestal any more than wearing a cross pendant suggests the wearer puts herself on a moral pedestal.

But more so, I think, it makes the statement that says, "If you're a member of a targeted minority, I recognize your fear as being legitimate, and so I wear this in solidarity and sympathy, and to let you know I'm sending good vibes your way in addition to doing what else I can." I don't think it implies the opposite is true ("if you don't wear a pin, you support hate crimes"). Actually, maybe a better analogy is wearing a pink ribbon that signifies you care about and support breast cancer victims and research. Not wearing one doesn't imply you don't care or do what you can to support the cause.

• Like 11

But see, I think I accomplish this simply by being friendly and warm towards ALL of the people I interact with. I don't think I need to wear a pin as a symbol that I'm inclusive; I just be inclusive.

(And I'm not saying nobody should do it, either - whatever floats yer boat. I just think it's not hard to communicate acceptance towards people who are different than you are.)

If someone is looking for help they have no way of knowing if you are only friendly until confronted with something you don't like.

There are nice and friendly seeming people who may easily become cold or distant when confronted with a woman wearing a hijab. No one knows your friendliness and helpfulness extends to all.

• Like 6

If someone is looking for help they have no way of knowing if you are only friendly until confronted with something you don't like.

There are nice and friendly seeming people who may easily become cold or distant when confronted with a woman wearing a hijab. No one knows your friendliness and helpfulness extends to all.

But they do if the woman wearing a hijab is right there amongst us. For example, a college class I was in included a young lady with an Arabic name, who wore a hijab. I interacted with her in the same way as I interacted with any other students sitting in my vicinity. We talked about Harry Potter (because this was when the final HP movies were coming out); we talked about Thanksgiving traditions; she told me her cousin was bringing enchilladas. We had a good laugh over it! When I saw her around campus, I would say Hi to her, as I would any student I had interacted with often.

So - this is what I mean by open and friendly manner. I often chatted with students sitting near me in classes; many times we were very different, most often because I was an "old" student; a mom. But sometimes because the student was a different race or religion. It didn't matter to me. I am friendly towards people until/unless they are jerks...and even then, sometimes I stay cordial because I'm sort of chronically nice, lol.

• Like 1

I see no need to be a visible advocate, personally - visibility is the opposite of my approach to public life in general, for religious reasons. I feel very strongly about doing the right thing when nobody will ever notice or see beyond the person I'm dealing with though. I don't put on cause bumper stickers or go out to marches and events as a rule either, for the same reason. Looking concerned or being vociferous doesn't really equal substantive action and isn't a requirement of it.

I think there's a continuing misconception about the intention of the whole safety pin thing.

This isn't about expressing solidarity in a generic way.

It isn't about making yourself visible for the purpose of promoting your own agenda or "looking concerned."

It's intended to be a signal to a vulnerable person who may need or appreciate your assistance that you are willing to provide it.

It's not a "statement," but a promise.

• Like 15

But they do if the woman wearing a hijab is right there amongst us. For example, a college class I was in included a young lady with an Arabic name, who wore a hijab. I interacted with her in the same way as I interacted with any other students sitting in my vicinity. We talked about Harry Potter (because this was when the final HP movies were coming out); we talked about Thanksgiving traditions; she told me her cousin was bringing enchilladas. We had a good laugh over it! When I saw her around campus, I would say Hi to her, as I would any student I had interacted with often.

So - this is what I mean by open and friendly manner. I often chatted with students sitting near me in classes; many times we were very different, most often because I was an "old" student; a mom. But sometimes because the student was a different race or religion. It didn't matter to me. I am friendly towards people until/unless they are jerks...and even then, sometimes I stay cordial because I'm sort of chronically nice, lol.

You are assuming that people can infer a lot about you that they very well might not.

Also, niceness isn't the cure-all. Unless people plan, practice and prepare to use deescalation and safety strategies chances are when push comes to shove they will freeze. No matter how open or friendly they are.

Lots of nice people looked silently on while a woman went off on the child of a Muslim friend of mine.

It takes a lot more work than believing that you treat everyone the same.

These are meant as encouraging words Quill. I have no doubt you are nice and try to treat everyone fairly but being an effective ally is more than that.

• Like 5

The social climate during this election cycle has reminded me very uncomfortably of the years I spent living in the midwest. It was then that I began carrying a book with me everywhere I went, because it gave me an excuse not to talk to people or to cut conversations short. The reason I felt it necessary to "protect" myself that way was that I had so many encounters with people who seemed perfectly lovely and friendly . . . until suddenly they said things that made me want to vomit.

The nicest, most grandmotherly woman with whom I was having a perfectly normal conversation about the weather would suddenly drop the n-word or a casual anti-semitic slur into a comment when I would have no way of seeing it coming. 

I personally witnessed many, many instances of those same sweet, lovely people being perfectly cordial to someone and then turning to me and disparaging that person without so much as a blush.

It was simply accepted as the way society worked there and then. And I was assumed to know the rules and presumably agree with them, because as an apparently WASP-ish person, I was assumed to be a "member of the club,"

I found it so disgusting and upsetting that I basically withdrew from any casual social interaction.

My daughter has co-workers with whom she has chatted perfectly amiably for going on two years, whom she has listened to babbling or complaining about boyfriends and spouses, but to whom she has been afraid to reveal anything about her own dating life because she can't be sure they will be as friendly once they know she is bisexual. She's had too many experiences with people who haven't been  able to maintain the veneer.

So, no, I'm afraid that "just being nice" isn't the same thing as being an intentional and visible safe person. 

• Like 10

Regarding the safety pin.

Honestly I feel it arose as an attack on a large, diverse class of people.  It's "I'm not one of those horrible people.  I'm gonna work to shut down those horrible people."  And everyone knows exactly what large group of people they're talking about.  I could be biased because the person I know who adopted this symbol as her profile picture had spent the past several days verbally attacking half of the country although nobody has done anything to her / her family & friends.

Since I was never one to go around hurting people or allowing people to be hurt around me, and since overt attacks on marginalized groups are quite rare where I live, I don't feel the need to wear a symbol that I'm a "safe person."  If I did that, it would be like "look how wonderful I am."

I think it's reasonable to assume that most people are "safe."  I understand that may not work in some localities, so for those living in such localities, I could understand the idea of a symbol.  When I was a kid, they used to have a symbol for "safe houses" where kids could run if they were scared.  Of course there was no guarantee that the person was actually a good or safe person.

• Like 4

This is a good article on wearing the safety pin as more than a meaningless symbol.

https://isobeldebrujah.wordpress.com/2016/11/12/so-you-want-to-wear-a-safety-pin/

I was just about to share this. Glad I read ahead!

The first time I wore my pin in public, in a diverse (and marginally blue) area, I was actually pretty nervous.  It isn't quiet solidarity, it's a promise to step in if needed and wanted.  It is a BFD, iykwim.

I mean, anyone who wants to can SAY that it's just a quiet symbol.  But if you're wearing one and refuse to act when it actually matters, it's an empty symbol.

• Like 1

Honestly I feel it arose as an attack on a large, diverse class of people. It's "I'm not one of those horrible people. I'm gonna work to shut down those horrible people." And everyone knows exactly what large group of people they're talking about. I could be biased because the person I know who adopted this symbol as her profile picture had spent the past several days verbally attacking half of the country although nobody has done anything to her / her family & friends.

Since I was never one to go around hurting people or allowing people to be hurt around me, and since overt attacks on marginalized groups are quite rare where I live, I don't feel the need to wear a symbol that I'm a "safe person." If I did that, it would be like "look how wonderful I am."

I think it's reasonable to assume that most people are "safe." I understand that may not work in some localities, so for those living in such localities, I could understand the idea of a symbol. When I was a kid, they used to have a symbol for "safe houses" where kids could run if they were scared. Of course there was no guarantee that the person was actually a good or safe person.

That's sorta my feeling about the safety pin, too.

• Like 1

The social climate during this election cycle has reminded me very uncomfortably of the years I spent living in the midwest. It was then that I began carrying a book with me everywhere I went, because it gave me an excuse not to talk to people or to cut conversations short. The reason I felt it necessary to "protect" myself that way was that I had so many encounters with people who seemed perfectly lovely and friendly . . . until suddenly they said things that made me want to vomit.

The nicest, most grandmotherly woman with whom I was having a perfectly normal conversation about the weather would suddenly drop the n-word or a casual anti-semitic slur into a comment when I would have no way of seeing it coming.

I personally witnessed many, many instances of those same sweet, lovely people being perfectly cordial to someone and then turning to me and disparaging that person without so much as a blush.

It was simply accepted as the way society worked there and then. And I was assumed to know the rules and presumably agree with them, because as an apparently WASP-ish person, I was assumed to be a "member of the club,"

I found it so disgusting and upsetting that I basically withdrew from any casual social interaction.

My daughter has co-workers with whom she has chatted perfectly amiably for going on two years, whom she has listened to babbling or complaining about boyfriends and spouses, but to whom she has been afraid to reveal anything about her own dating life because she can't be sure they will be as friendly once they know she is bisexual. She's had too many experiences with people who haven't been able to maintain the veneer.

So, no, I'm afraid that "just being nice" isn't the same thing as being an intentional and visible safe person.

I can see how those experiences would make you feel that a friendly, open demeanor isn't enough. This is another reminder that I put a naive amount of trust in how people present themselves. I am a person with no artifice. I'm completely un-crafty; what you see is what you get. I tend to think this is true for other people until I have proof otherwise.

There's such a thing as people who try to wear on their sleeve what an open-minded, inclusive person they are. They are the ones who intentionally "collect" friends who are different so they can display how inclusive they are. The safety pin thing makes me think of those people.

• Like 4

First of all, I don't have a safety pin in my house so I would have to go out and buy it.  If and when I encounter racism, I speak out against it.  I don't see a point to wearing a safety pin.  I haven't witnessed any hateful acts here while I have been out in public.  Most people seem friendly and the rest seem to be minding their own business. I will be watching to see if I see these safety pins out in public. 

• Like 3

I do understand the concerns of some regarding wearing a safety pin.  I see their point.   But, frankly, if a safety pin helps someone else feel they are supported and can come to me if they feel they are being threatened I have no issues wearing one.  If a safety pin helps to remind me and my family to choose words and actions with more care and maturity and to remind us that others may need our help I will happily wear one.  Not as an "in your face I am better than you because I wear a safety pin" symbol but because sometimes having a visible reminder DOES help.  And it is instant communication for those who have heard about the safety pin movement. This pin is a promise that if someone is in trouble they know just by glancing around that someone near them is in their corner and will help them, even if that someone is a stranger.  Sometimes verbal and physical abuse is not easy to spot, the people doing the abusing may be subtle about it in public, but the person being abused who needs support has no way of knowing which person in public who seems friendly and accepting on the surface is actually so when push comes to shove.  How do they know for certain who they can turn to?

Being friendly is great but as has been mentioned up thread being friendly does not automatically mean that the friendly person is willing to help in a situation where someone feels they are in danger of being attacked, either verbally or physically or needs to know that not everyone sees them as "other" and unwelcome.  

When DD was little I used to hang out with a group of moms that had kids in the same 4k as DD.  All very pleasant people, all very kind, and I got along with them...but what I found beneath the surface was that at least 3 of those women were also incredibly racist and classist and even sexist in their own way and I would absolutely NOT have felt they would be the person to go to for help if I were a minority or poor or one of a zillion other groups that might feel they were in danger or at least needing some support.  But in our area of a large percentage of minorities they were absolutely friendly and put on their smiles and their pleasant public faces.  Didn't mean that was what they felt inside or that they would have lifted a finger if needed.

I will not go around thinking anyone who isn't wearing one is a an uncaring, unfeeling jerk, either.  No one has to wear a safety pin and they shouldn't be made to feel bad about not wearing one.  They just choose not to wear a safety pin.  Not everyone feels comfortable wearing symbols.

When people wear a pink ribbon in support of cancer research and those affected by cancer it keeps the ongoing fight against cancer fresh in my mind.  I had cancer.  Several family members have had cancer.  My father died of cancer.  I do not assume those not wearing a pink ribbon don't give a flip about cancer or are joyous that cancer exists.  

I sincerely hope that the safety pin idea is helpful (anything that will help is a positive in my book) and that others on either side of the safety pin coin do not turn it into yet another reason to divide people.  We have more than enough of that already.

Best wishes to all.

• Like 7

Honestly I feel it arose as an attack on a large, diverse class of people.  It's "I'm not one of those horrible people.  I'm gonna work to shut down those horrible people." 

[snip]

I think it's reasonable to assume that most people are "safe."  I understand that may not work in some localities, so for those living in such localities, I could understand the idea of a symbol.  When I was a kid, they used to have a symbol for "safe houses" where kids could run if they were scared.  Of course there was no guarantee that the person was actually a good or safe person.

But see, the idea that the safety pin is any kind of attack makes about as much sense to me as assuming that my choice to homeschool means I disdain other people's choice to send their kids to public or private schools. My decisions about how to raise and educate my children have everything to do with my own family and community and are not any kind of statement about the choices others make about the same issues.

Nor is my choice to be a vegan an attack on your decision to have a steak for dinner. It's my attempt to live a life that is in keeping with my own religious and ethical values.

The safety pin movement is about offering support to those who might need it from people who feel compelled to and capable of offering it.

If you are neither a person who needs support nor a person who feels compelled to and capable of offering it, then:

It's. Not. About. You.

(With that said, if the "horrible people" we're talking about are racist, misogynistic bigots who feel it is acceptable to belittle or harass others based on ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation or any other similar characteristic, then, yes, I definitely will "work to shut those people down." I assume you are not one of those people. So, again, it's not about you.)

As far as most people being "safe," as I and others have repeatedly explained, we have witnessed enough negativity to know that there are enough who are not safe to make the world feel like a scary and unwelcoming place to folks who happen to belong to any of a number of groups too often perceived as "other." And, unfortunately, since the ones who aren't safe don't tend to wear badges identifying themselves, it can be helpful for those who are to do so.

Just as I don't wade into every thread about how to cook a turkey to explain why I believe it is wrong to eat other living beings, because I recognize those threads aren't meant for me, perhaps it's not exactly helpful for you to explain (over and over) why you don't approve of the safety pin.

• Like 12

Just as I don't wade into every thread about how to cook a turkey to explain why I believe it is wrong to eat other living beings, because I recognize those threads aren't meant for me, perhaps it's not exactly helpful for you to explain (over and over) why you don't approve of the safety pin.

She's not doing that. I may have the most posts in this thread explaining over and over why I'm not planning to do the safety pin thing. This thread is no different from any thread where people have different opinions; a few people say what they think, a few other people say how their thinking differs, and then there is some back-and-forth as people explain their viewpoint.

It's not a big deal; I don't "disapprove" of the safety pin thing. I'm just not planning to participate and I'm not hoping it catches on. These types of things tend to burn out after a few months. It was like when Paris was attacked. "Everybody" started changing their FB profile to the French flag to "show support." But I thought it was silly because, for one thing, attacks and bombings are happening daily in many places on earth. Does anyone change their profile to the Syrian flag? Or the Lebonese flag? Secondly, at some point, people needed to change their profiles back to something normal. Does that mean they no longer care about the Paris attack? Or did they just, perhaps sheepishly, realize that that trend had run its course and now they seem out of it?

I believe the pin will be like this, too. People will wear them for a while, inviting explanation and possibly spreading the idea for a while. But after a while, perhaps three months, maybe six at the most, people will wear them less often because it stops being interesting, and at that point the last few wearers will have to decide if they are going to keep doing this trend that has run it's course. I could be wrong, of course. But that is my prediction.

Eta/: typos

Edited by Quill
  • Like 7

You guys know the pin isn't an American thing, right?

It arose in the UK, after Brexit in response to the uptick there in hate violence & hate speech. It wasn't designed against Trump or Trump voters.

I did see that, that it started over Brexit. But obviously it is being applied in the US because of the election outcome.

Well, they know if they interact with you in any way. 

But see, the idea that the safety pin is any kind of attack makes about as much sense to me as assuming that my choice to homeschool means I disdain other people's choice to send their kids to public or private schools. My decisions about how to raise and educate my children have everything to do with my own family and community and are not any kind of statement about the choices others make about the same issues.

Nor is my choice to be a vegan an attack on your decision to have a steak for dinner. It's my attempt to live a life that is in keeping with my own religious and ethical values.

The safety pin movement is about offering support to those who might need it from people who feel compelled to and capable of offering it.

If you are neither a person who needs support nor a person who feels compelled to and capable of offering it, then:

It's. Not. About. You.

(With that said, if the "horrible people" we're talking about are racist, misogynistic bigots who feel it is acceptable to belittle or harass others based on ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation or any other similar characteristic, then, yes, I definitely will "work to shut those people down." I assume you are not one of those people. So, again, it's not about you.)

As far as most people being "safe," as I and others have repeatedly explained, we have witnessed enough negativity to know that there are enough who are not safe to make the world feel like a scary and unwelcoming place to folks who happen to belong to any of a number of groups too often perceived as "other." And, unfortunately, since the ones who aren't safe don't tend to wear badges identifying themselves, it can be helpful for those who are to do so.

I think this is a good summary and I agree with you, but again we get into defining one's terms.  There are indeed those quite vocal people who say outright that if you did not vote for her/his choice of candidate, that alone makes you automatically "one of those people", instead of among the group you mention, the "It's not about you." group. 

That misunderstanding needs to be corrected in the public arena. 

• Like 3

I think that the fact that it started over Btrexit actually makes it's adoption seem much more politisized rather than less. The progressive's inability to engage in insightful class analysis was very similar in both the British and American campaigns, which could  tend to make the pin look like a symbol of political disapproval.

• Like 4

I saw that and was bothered and hoped she was talking literally about an anti-Trump pin (it wasn't clear to me), because the safety pin definitely isn't the same as an anti-Trump pin. If I can find it again, I will ask.

I've seen references here and there (facebook, comments on articles, so nothing I can cite) calling the safety pins "anti-Trump pins" and talking about safety pins worn by "anti-Trump protesters."  Somewhere, I saw someone saying she was wearing one so people knew she had not voted for Trump.  So, at least some people think that's what the safety pins are about.  

Who is the authority over the safety pin movement anyway?   There isn't one.  So, people are interpreting it as they wish.  

ETA: I'm sorry if typing the name makes this too political.  I don't know how to explain what I read without saying it, though.  

Edited by marbel

I am only chiming in here having seen a very very tiny number of posts and had this thought,

So if I decide to wear one, I will be sure to wear it with a shirt that clearly states which candidate I support, And aNOTHeR pin next to the safety pin that says "this is a pro everyone safety pin not an anti Y candidate safety pin, and hope people see all the mixed metaphors and clearly know my intentions!!! Is it too much to hope that if I'm that overt and specific, they may see the real me?!?! Or that I could avoid confusing them??

LOL.

No snark just honestly laughing here!! If I offended anyone I am sorry & that was not my intention!

In reference to the phone number hotline @ giving someone a piece of my mind if I see what I personally think of as injustice, thanks again To the OP for presenting me with a concrete thing I feel I can do to "be heard" and nothing I am saying should be taken either way to indicate my support or non support of wearing a pin!

It's a tough one. I lean toward 'yes' because of always wanting to be a safe space.

Do you remember the cat symbol? In the depression, drifters would hide a rough drawing of a cat symbol on the houses of people who were kind and would give them food. That way they knew whose door to knock on. It was a pure symbol of kindness.

To the extent that the safety pin is a pure symbol of kindness I want to wear one. To the extent that it accuses half of our country being a bunch of racist, sexist, homophobic neanderthals, I don't.

I've been thinking about it a lot, I think that either I'm going to wear a safety pin with a simple cross charm on it, or wear a cat symbol.

I have always believed that if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem. I still do. How best to be part of the solution is what I'm trying to figure out right now. But I will never not speak up.

My DD has been beading safety pins with peace signs, rainbows, hearts, and other "happy" charms, and giving them to everyone she knows. I figure that it is helping her feel she can do something. I don't know if a beaded safety pin has the same message to others as a plain one, but so far, no one seems insulted.

• Like 3

My DD has been beading safety pins with peace signs, rainbows, hearts, and other "happy" charms, and giving them to everyone she knows. I figure that it is helping her feel she can do something. I don't know if a beaded safety pin has the same message to others as a plain one, but so far, no one seems insulted.

When my daughter was in Girl Scout - so, age 11-ish? she made a lot of jewelry like that.  If I saw it I would just think of jewelry, but that's because I'm familiar with the form.  I don't know how anyone could find something that like insulting though. (Unless it came with a lecture or assumptions about one's political leanings - which I'm not assuming your daughter would give.)  

Edited by marbel

It's not a big deal; I don't "disapprove" of the safety pin thing. I'm just not planning to participate and I'm not hoping it catches on. These types of things tend to burn out after a few months. It was like when Paris was attacked. "Everybody" started changing their FB profile to the French flag to "show support." But I thought it was silly because, for one thing, attacks and bombings are happening daily in many places on earth. Does anyone change their profile to the Syrian flag? Or the Lebonese flag? Secondly, at some point, people needed to change their profiles back to something normal. Does that mean they no longer care about the Paris attack? Or did they just, perhaps sheepishly, realize that that trend had run its course and now they seem out of it?

I believe the pin will be like this, too. People will wear them for a while, inviting explanation and possibly spreading the idea for a while. But after a while, perhaps three months, maybe six at the most, people will wear them less often because it stops being interesting, and at that point the last few wearers will have to decide if they are going to keep doing this trend that has run it's course. I could be wrong, of course. But that is my prediction.

Eta/: typos

Yeah, because why should we give a "trendy" shit about conveying a message of support to frightened, traumatized, marginalized people? WTF. This is not some trend that people are riding to be cool. This is not some profile change on Facebook. I would hope that your prediction that good people want to show that minorities can depend on them to help will not "run it's course" anymore than people being horrified by mass shootings will run its course.

Don't want to show your support in this way? Don't. But don't minimize the effort and intent of people who are willing to wear an anti-hate symbol to show that they will stand up for fellow human beings if the need arises.

ETA and just so you don't think that I am personally offended because I am wearing a safety pin, no, not the case. What I am now wearing loud and proud is a big honking Black Lives Matter pin. I think I will add a "(he who shall remain nameless) eres un pendejo" button and maybe a few more. I'll be *that* crazy lady.

Edited by bibiche
  • Like 2

Yeah, because why should we give a "trendy" shit about conveying a message of support to frightened, traumatized, marginalized people? WTF. This is not some trend that people are riding to be cool. This is not some profile change on Facebook. I would hope that your prediction that good people want to show that minorities can depend on them to help will not "run it's course" anymore than people being horrified by mass shootings will run its course.

Don't want to show your support in this way? Don't. But don't minimize the effort and intent of people who are willing to wear an anti-hate symbol to show that they will stand up for fellow human beings if the need arises.

What's the difference betwwen changing a FB page to show support for something or other, and wearing a pin or ribbon or whatever to show support for something? 

I can't see why one is more likely to be sincere and the other a trend that will pass.  (Actually, I don't think those things are particularly mutually exclusive.)

Someone could just as easily make a safety pin profile pic to show they will stand against hate online.  Which would also be a trend.  And likely sincere for many people, so far as it goes.  And likely to pass within a month.  I'd give the actual pin wearing about a year. 

As far as being cool - no, I think it is more about an urge most people feel to ride the zeitgeist accompanied by a desire to define ourselves through symbols.

• Like 1

I think wearing a safety pin is about the equivalent of updating one's Facebook profile. That's a pretty apt comparison, actually. It doesn't mean the person who changed their profile doesn't mean it, isn't serious, or the cause is worthless. It's just a gesture that makes the issue all about one's self and making sure people see your virtue plastered across your face or (in the case of the pin) literally pinned to your chest.

It reminds me of the idea put forth in the Bible that you don't need to pray loudly so that everyone knows how pious you are. If you are willing to take up for someone, take up for them. I totally do not buy that it's about victims knowing who is safe. It's simple virtue signaling. Kindness doesn't need an accessory.

• Like 3

I think I may start wearing a safety pin on the INSIDE of my clothes to remind myself I've made a promise to watch out and step in. I don't like using clothes or style to convey a message (prob because I'm bad at it), but I think this would be a helpful reminder to me.

• Like 3