Menu

Healing Our Country, Calling Out Racist, Sexist, Bigoted Language

umsami

I saw this today and it resonated with me.  I think if we ALL did this (not just those who voted for President-elect Trump) it would start the healing for those who feel so targeted and afraid right now.  The White House comment line is 202-456-1414.  I don't have a number/contact info for his transitional office, but wish I did.  I think it would be huge if even a small portion of the electorate contacted him, Paul Ryan, and other GOP leaders and said this language needs to be disavowed, and we need to hold them to that.  Every time there is racist, sexist, bigoted language, it is called out by all Americans. 

Cliff Notes version is (she's addressing her friends and loved ones who voted for Trump), I believe you when you say your vote wasn't about the racist, xenophobic, hateful things you said...  

"So, now you get to prove it. It’s actually so simple: Demand that it end. Demand that he finally, vociferously reject the KKK and other white supremacist groups. Every single time he or his surrogates says something over-generalized about any group of people — “all Black people live in inner cities and their lives are hellâ€; “all/most/many refugees/immigrants/Muslims/whatever are dangerousâ€; “that woman is only a 7â€â€Šâ€” hold him to the highest standard you have. Contact him and tell him, “I support you, I voted for you, and I demand that you stop saying these things.â€

And thank you to all of you who are wearing safety pins.  It is appreciated more than you will ever know.

https://medium.com/@jessicashortall/voted-for-trump-i-have-only-one-plea-7d5994c7a3d1#.lhjngovg9

• Like 33

Thanks, umsami. We do all need to do this!

Sadly, the fact that someone rated your thread with one star is discouraging. Why anyone wouldn't think it a good idea to denounce hate is inexplicable ( not to mention vile) to me, but there you have it.

DIdn't notice that, but as somebody who has accidentally rated threads negatively and not realized it, I'm going to assume it was a mistake.  Just as I really want to believe that any parent would want to disavow hate speech.  I'm also going to add let your children see you doing this! This is an important lesson to teach.

• Like 9

Bought a brand-new pack of safety pins yesterday just for this.

The best part of this is that anyone can do this regardless of what they believe! Because it's not about agreeing with views, lifestyles or religion, it's about believing that all people should be treated with respect and compassion.

• Like 10

It is really easy on your phone to accidently do this to a thread. I know that I have. I'm not sure you can correct it either, or even if the person was aware of it. So I wouldn't necessarily take it to mean someone meant to rate it one star.

Good to know! I will think it was that then. :)

• Like 5

DIdn't notice that, but as somebody who has accidentally rated threads negatively and not realized it, I'm going to assume it was a mistake.  Just as I really want to believe that any parent would want to disavow hate speech.  I'm also going to add let your children see you doing this! This is an important lesson to teach.

I denounce it when I see it in real life.  Anyone can make a sign or call a number or retweet something or send an email. 

Stand up when you see it.  Put your money where your mouth is, so to speak.  This is what your children will remember.  I agree with you that it is a very important lesson, and where we do this is organically, where we live, in my view.

No one approves hate speech.  Stop it when you see it. 

Edited by TranquilMind
  • Like 6

I have some concerns about the safety pin thing, though. It seems like it's meant to put oneself on a pedestal. It strikes me as saying, "oh, ask me about this safety pin, so I can tell you how open, loving and evolved I am." How about, "Ye will know them by their fruits"?

It makes me think of the Star-Bellied Sneeches, personally. I would hate to think it becomes a code by which people who happen to not be wearing a safety pin, or who don't jump on such bandwagons, or who haven't heard of it, may be looked at askance. "Hmmm. No safety pin...she must be one of those secret racist/islamaphobe/homophobe people."

• Like 34

I have some concerns about the safety pin thing, though. It seems like it's meant to put oneself on a pedestal. It strikes me as saying, "oh, ask me about this safety pin, so I can tell you how open, loving and evolved I am." How about, "Ye will know them by their fruits"?

It makes me think of the Star-Bellied Sneeches, personally. I would hate to think it becomes a code by which people who happen to not be wearing a safety pin, or who don't jump on such bandwagons, or who haven't heard of it, may be looked at askance. "Hmmm. No safety pin...she must be one of those secret racist/islamaphobe/homophobe people."

It's a tough one.  I lean toward 'yes' because of always wanting to be a safe space.

Do you remember the cat symbol? In the depression, drifters would hide a rough drawing of a cat symbol on the houses of people who were kind and would give them food.  That way they knew whose door to knock on.  It was a pure symbol of kindness.

To the extent that the safety pin is a pure symbol of kindness I want to wear one.  To the extent that it accuses half of our country being a bunch of racist, sexist, homophobic neanderthals, I don't.

I've been thinking about it a lot, I think that either I'm going to wear a safety pin with a simple cross charm on it, or wear a cat symbol.

I have always believed that if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.  I still do.  How best to be part of the solution is what I'm trying to figure out right now.  But I will never not speak up.  

• Like 11

My son is working on a project to help people pledge and make donations every time they observe an act of trickle down bigotry. There will also be graphics on how to ally and help protect vulnerable people. He has a name picked and is starting to work on the coding to make it a phone app. Kids rock.

• Like 9

I think this falls into the "assume positive intent" credo. Yes some people may pat themselves on the back but is that why it started? Is that why most people who do it will do it? Probably not. Let's assume that people mean well, and moreover hope that they learn how to be respectful, appropriate and effective allies.

(FWIW, I haven't started wearing a safety pin myself so my argument here is not in defense of myself).

• Like 10

It's a tough one. I lean toward 'yes' because of always wanting to be a safe space.

Do you remember the cat symbol? In the depression, drifters would hide a rough drawing of a cat symbol on the houses of people who were kind and would give them food. That way they knew whose door to knock on. It was a pure symbol of kindness.

To the extent that the safety pin is a pure symbol of kindness I want to wear one. To the extent that it accuses half of our country being a bunch of racist, sexist, homophobic neanderthals, I don't.

I've been thinking about it a lot, I think that either I'm going to wear a safety pin with a simple cross charm on it, or wear a cat symbol.

I have always believed that if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem. I still do. How best to be part of the solution is what I'm trying to figure out right now. But I will never not speak up.

To the bolded, me too. I am also trying to figure out how I can be part of the solution and not part of the problem. Here's one thing I mull over: how strongly to condemn what someone says. If all you do is condemn a person for saying something in your presence or to you, you have shut down future dialogue with that person (most likely) and you can't be part of a seed in their brain.

Real-life example: person on FB, whom I knew from high school puts up a post on my wall when I was discussing a presidential candidate. He says something defending segregation and talks about how mad it makes him that black people get their own special TV chanel, magazines, etc. and how you couldn't have White Entertainment TV, for example. So, first I have to scrape myself up off the floor because I didn't know any of my "friends" harbored such racist attitudes, but secondly, I have to craft a response that denounces that way of thinking while yet not condemning my "friend." Because if I merely condemn him and unfriend him, he can just chalk me up as a "liberal wacko" and never consider what I said. Hate will not overcome hate, so if I act hatefully, he'll just take his hate elsewhere.

My response was about how I believe we are all God's children and are all worthy of equal treatment.

• Like 5

To me, that's a very odd interpretation of the intent of the safety pin thing. It has nothing to do with self-aggrandizement or inviting others to invite you to brag. It's intended to be a symbol to people who might need some support that you are willing to provide it. That's it. 

I don't think it's a question of others assuming that people who don't wear the pin are necessarily terrible people, just that not everyone is comfortable in the role of being actively and intentionally supportive. 

• Like 8

To me, that's a very odd interpretation of the intent of the safety pin thing. It has nothing to do with self-aggrandizement or inviting others to invite you to brag. It's intended to be a symbol to people who might need some support that you are willing to provide it. That's it. 

I don't think it's a question of others assuming that people who don't wear the pin are necessarily terrible people, just that not everyone is comfortable in the role of being actively and intentionally supportive. 

This. It's a small gesture of support that only those who need it would even notice. I am doing that here at our base OCONUS as there are a lot of unsympathetic and unsupportive people around. I know I could have used a support person this week and last when I had an unpleasant run-in with a  now-gone spouse.

• Like 6

Real-life example: person on FB, whom I knew from high school puts up a post on my wall when I was discussing a presidential candidate. He says something defending segregation and talks about how mad it makes him that black people get their own special TV chanel, magazines, etc. and how you couldn't have White Entertainment TV, for example. So, first I have to scrape myself up off the floor because I didn't know any of my "friends" harbored such racist attitudes, but secondly, I have to craft a response that denounces that way of thinking while yet not condemning my "friend." Because if I merely condemn him and unfriend him, he can just chalk me up as a "liberal wacko" and never consider what I said. Hate will not overcome hate, so if I act hatefully, he'll just take his hate elsewhere.

My response was about how I believe we are all God's children and are all worthy of equal treatment.

And (trying really hard not to be overtly political, here), this is exactly why this election process took so much out of me: I learned this kind of thing about a lot of people about whom I otherwise assumed generally positive things.

However, the reality is that there are a number of things one could say about your "friend's" assertion:

First, black people "get" their own TV channel and magazines and so on because business people and investors saw a market for that programming and took the initiative to provide it. It's not as though there is some government agency handing out TV channels to special interest groups. I thought we were supposed to be in favor of entrepreneurship?

Also, the reason such media outlets were created was because the mainstream options were so lacking in representation of minority groups. They arose because the people to whom they are marketed were not welcome on "regular" TV channels. 

• Like 4

To the bolded, me too. I am also trying to figure out how I can be part of the solution and not part of the problem. Here's one thing I mull over: how strongly to condemn what someone says. If all you do is condemn a person for saying something in your presence or to you, you have shut down future dialogue with that person (most likely) and you can't be part of a seed in their brain.

That's where I fall on it - in real life I try to enforce/point out consistency where I see inconsistency in people who should know better. It seems like when they come to the position of recognizing the incongruity in their own espoused values the changes stick better. I know precious few people whose views I'd consider genuinely vile and most are not of the same religion or party as me and wouldn't listen to me anyway, so I suppose I'm lucky. But I don't see a ton of this day to day because my circle is tight and full of awesome people. If it shows up I'll say something though.

Or they might be entirely comfortable being actively and intentionally supportive, but may find the safety pin a strange and conspicuous fashion statement. 

A pendant that symbolizes being supportive? Any time. Safety pin pinned to my clothes? Invites the question whether I am dealing with a wardrobe malfunction.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 8

Or they might be entirely comfortable being actively and intentionally supportive, but may find the safety pin a strange and conspicuous fashion statement.

Yup. I think being watchful and having warm, open body language or gestures toward someone being targeted is just as effective. I also don't have a problem butting it and helping remove someone from a situation, though. I'm pushy like that. I'm not poking holes in my clothes with safety pins OR brooches though!

Yup. I think being watchful and having warm, open body language or gestures toward someone being targeted is just as effective. I also don't have a problem butting it and helping remove someone from a situation, though. I'm pushy like that. I'm not poking holes in my clothes with safety pins OR brooches though!

I cannot imagine anyone in the military community here recognizing your body signals as warm and welcoming WRT political discontent. IJS. And yet there are a lot of hurting people being silent. There are also some lovely safety pin brooches on the market. I bought one.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 4

The whole point is to be a conspicuous advocate and safe person. If you cannot be that person, an OPEN, CONSPICUOUS ADVOCATE, don't wear one.

It is not about not wanting to be a conspicuous advocate. It is about not wanting to wear an odd conspicuous item that is not usually worn as an adornment. If a person wears a rainbow scarf, for example, either people will know this represents LGBT support (and the ones who need the support definitely do), or they think it's merely some fashion accessory.

With the safety pin, I feel that it is also meant to provoke clueless people into questioning. People can be fine with the advocacy aspect and not want this second aspect. Does that make sense?

As somebody who stands in front of, and is stared at by, hundreds of people daily, I prefer not to have them wonder and speculate about my odd accessorizing. 

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 2

It is not about not wanting to be a conspicuous advocate. It is about not wanting to wear an odd conspicuous item that is not usually worn as an adornment. If a person wears a rainbow scarf, for example, either people will know this represents LGBT support, or they think it's a fashion accessory.  

With the safety pin, I sense that it is also meant to provoke clueless people into questioning. People can be fine with the advocacy aspect and not want this second aspect. Does that make sense?

Just as a lovely adorned BROOCH would either be seen as a symbol or a lovely fashion accessory. Again, if you are not comfortable wearing a symbol of advocacy, don't. Just keep it moving. There are many people I know wearing unadorned safety pins because they give two hoots what others might be thinking. They care MORE about being a visible advocate.

Edited by Sneezyone

Just as a lovely adorned BROOCH would either be seen as a symbol or a lovely fashion accessory. Again, if you are not comfortable wearing a symbol of advocacy, don't. Just keep it moving.

I am trying to explain why the bolded is not what this is about. It is not about not comfortable wearing "A" symbol of advocacy - but about this specific symbol.

I guess I am not doing a good job at getting my point across.I'll quit trying and think of a better way to show support.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 2

I cannot imagine anyone in the military community here recognizing your body signals as warm and welcoming WRT political discontent. IJS. And yet there are a lot of hurting people being silent. There are also some lovely safety pin brooches on the market. I bought one.

What does the military have to do with any of it? Nearly half my community is active or retired military and I live literally ten minutes from a gate of the biggest base in our state. So?

If someone is followed or heckled you don't think sidling up to them and moving them to an out of the way location or otherwise deflecting the attention, directly or by increasing the numbers around them, is effective? A smile or kind word doesn't make a difference? If someone is trying to walk through an area and is clearly uncomfortable or frightened that assisting them wouldn't help?

These are real things that CAN help - being vigilant and aware and willing to do the less convenient thing to assist someone. Not wearing a pin. That may well be a solution for some but it's not anything I'm personally doing.

I'm not getting into one upmanship on this topic with you or anyone else - but I am saying that there are ways to help concretely that are quiet and still effective for the person directly involved. That goes with decrying illogical, inconsistent, or bigoted speech. But as I said that's not really something I encounter much of in real life due to my personal circle and homebody tendencies. I see way more of that online, and it isn't by people I'd consider part of 'my' tribe.

Just as a lovely adorned BROOCH would either be seen as a symbol or a lovely fashion accessory. Again, if you are not comfortable wearing a symbol of advocacy, don't. Just keep it moving. There are many people I know wearing unadorned safety pins because they give two hoots what others might be thinking. They care MORE about being a visible advocate.

I see no need to be a visible advocate, personally - visibility is the opposite of my approach to public life in general, for religious reasons. I feel very strongly about doing the right thing when nobody will ever notice or see beyond the person I'm dealing with though. I don't put on cause bumper stickers or go out to marches and events as a rule either, for the same reason. Looking concerned or being vociferous doesn't really equal substantive action and isn't a requirement of it.

Edited by Arctic Mama

I am trying to explain why the bolded is not what this is about. It is not about not comfortable wearing "A" symbol of advocacy - but about this specific symbol.

I guess I am not doing a good job at getting my point across.I'll quit trying and think of a better way to show support.

I understand your point. I just find it silly. No one is making you wear a pin. If you don't like it or are not comfy with ANY aspect of it, move on. This angst over what will people think of the pin is bizarre. Who cares what random strangers think? The people who need it will know that it offers support and that's the point.

• Like 6

I see no need to be a visible advocate. I feel very strongly about doing the right thing when nobody will ever notice or see beyond the person I'm dealing with though. I don't put on cause bumper stickers or go out to marches and events as a rule either, for the same reason. Looking concerned or being vociferous doesn't really equal substantive action and isn't a requirement of it.

Then don't wear one. See? Easy.

• Like 2

I understand your point. I just find it silly. No one is making you wear a pin. If you don't like it or are not comfy with ANY aspect of it, move on. This angst over what will people think of the pin is bizarre. Who cares what random strangers think? The people who need it will know that it offers support and that's the point.

I don't have any "angst" and don't care what random strangers think. I care that the 300 students in my class can pay attention to what I am saying and don't have to wonder whether my shirt is coming apart. 

ETA: And the sole reason I spend time trying to explain my reasoning was the insinuation that people who don't wear the pin are not comfortable with visible advocacy. I am trying to explain why this may not be the reason for some. I'd have absolutely no issue with a decal on my office door, for example - it is not about them knowing that I am an advocate.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 7

What does the military have to do with any of it? Nearly half my community is active or retired military and I live literally ten minutes from a gate of the biggest base in our state. So?

If someone is followed or heckled you don't think sidling up to them and moving them to an out of the way location or otherwise deflecting the attention, directly or by increasing the numbers around them, is effective? A smile or kind word doesn't make a difference? If someone is trying to walk through an area and is clearly uncomfortable or frightened that assisting them wouldn't help?

These are real things that CAN help - being vigilant and aware and willing to do the less convenient thing to assist someone. Not wearing a pin. That may well be a solution for some but it's not anything I'm personally doing.

I'm not getting into one upmanship on this topic with you or anyone else - but I am saying that there are ways to help concretely that are quiet and still effective for the person directly involved. That goes with decrying illogical, inconsistent, or bigoted speech. But as I said that's not really something I encounter much of in real life due to my personal circle and homebody tendencies. I see way more of that online, and it isn't by people I'd consider part of 'my' tribe.

You really think being followed or heckled is the issue around here? We don't openly discuss politics for obvious reasons. Having a symbol to identify yourself as a safe person is valuable. If it's not valuable to or for you, DON'T DO IT.

You really think being followed or heckled is the issue around here? We don't openly discuss politics for obvious reasons. Having a symbol to identify yourself as a safe person is valuable. If it's not valuable to or for you, DON'T DO IT.

Why do you keep addressing me? I'm lost.

I'm more likely to walk up to someone in distress to fix a problem or discuss things gently and persuasively, like Quill was mentioning, to try and change minds and heart without alienating. Thats what I've been saying. I'm not going to put on a safety pin or bumper sticker. I have no clue why you keep arguing with me about what I'm comfortable doing. ???

Edited by Arctic Mama

I don't have any "angst" and don't care what random strangers think. I care that the 300 students in my class can pay attention to what I am saying and don't have to wonder whether my shirt is coming apart. 

Wear the pin or not. It's not that hard or that big a deal. It doesn't need all of this extra analysis. It's not a statement of your lack of commitment. It is a visible statement of commitment for some. Thanks for the suggestion, Umsami. I had been looking for a way to show my support to vulnerable folks here and this was ideal.

• Like 4

I see no need to be a visible advocate, personally - visibility is the opposite of my approach to public life in general, for religious reasons. I feel very strongly about doing the right thing when nobody will ever notice or see beyond the person I'm dealing with though. I don't put on cause bumper stickers or go out to marches and events as a rule either, for the same reason. Looking concerned or being vociferous doesn't really equal substantive action and isn't a requirement of it.

The most insightful thing I have heard or read all day. (I am at a conference of people with massive amounts of education who did not state anything today so profound as this.)

• Like 3

Of course what you do is up to you, but I also have friends who voted for Trump who are wearing safety pins as a way to distance themselves from the hate speech.  To somebody who is a target and knows the meaning, it's like a silent smile saying you are welcome and somebody has your back.

ETA: I don't assume that people who are not wearing it are not safe, because obviously a lot of people don't know about it or aren't comfortable with it.

Edited by umsami
  • Like 7

I totally agree with this.  

One of the things we need is for people to be in dialog to persuade, not to shame or name-call or stereotype.  EVERYONE needs to stop the bad behavior.  We elect our leaders from among ourselves, and they are not likely to be any better than we are.   

A pendant that symbolizes being supportive? Any time. Safety pin pinned to my clothes? Invites the question whether I am dealing with a wardrobe malfunction.

I think though that a safety pin has no $ barrier and is super common which is why it spring up that way. A pendant is something to buy.

• Like 4

Honestly. The media just need to start telling the truth. They are race baiting. They hardly ever report what is being said on both sides. They only tell one side and smear people who have not actually said what they have said. I am so tired of it. I have never been or ever have been racist. I don't feel I need to prove it. Nor would I want anyone else approaching me with a pin to prove it. It would feel like condesention.  And yes I am a minority woman!

Edited by MyLittleBears
  • Like 9

Honestly. The media just need to start telling the truth. They are race baiting. They hardly ever report what is being said on both sides. They only tell one side and smear people who have not actually said what they have said. 

Not all media are created equal. 

There is a wide variety of media available, and by consulting different sources (and selecting credible ones) it is possible to assemble a balanced picture. However, just watching one favorite US TV news channel will most likely not accomplish that.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 7

Yes. But the main stream media is what I'm talking about and it is the most consumed by the average individual. They are not doing their job, hence the pop up in recent years of internet alternatives.

They are doing what the average consumer wants: deliver easily digestible sound bites inside your echo chamber.

Most people are not interested in, and not capable of following, an in depth thoughtful analysis. That would require reading a page of consecutive text or listening to a nuanced argument.

• Like 3

I think there's a misunderstanding about the purpose of this. It's of course totally, absolutely okay not to participate in this, but I wanted to try once to re explain the purpose, if only for others reading. It's not just for people who are actively being harrassed and need someone to help them in the moment (which I'm understanding is something you would do), but as a sign to those who are feeling unwanted, hated, or scared due to not being part of the majority group, that you are someone who supports them. If you are someone who suddenly fears that maybe a large portion of the people around you want you to leave the country, can you imagine that seeing this symbol of acceptance on people all around you might put you more at ease, and make you feel more welcome? That's the point of it. Again, not meaning anyone has to take part, but just trying to explain the purpose.

But see, I think I accomplish this simply by being friendly and warm towards ALL of the people I interact with. I don't think I need to wear a pin as a symbol that I'm inclusive; I just be inclusive.

(And I'm not saying nobody should do it, either - whatever floats yer boat. I just think it's not hard to communicate acceptance towards people who are different than you are.)

• Like 8

Is anyone else getting this conflicted feeling like all warm because "yay, people are good & this is making me feel good" but at the same time going grrrrrrr "wth? it's awful that we need such things"

Now I'm wondering if German has a word for this feeling. 

I can't think of a German word for this.

But the feeling - yes, definitely. Especially since this was entirely predictable. Safety pins in retrospect seem a bit inadequate.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 5

The whole point is to be a conspicuous advocate and safe person. If you cannot be that person, an OPEN, CONSPICUOUS ADVOCATE, don't wear one.

I was reading along down this thread thinking carefully about what people were saying, but this just sounds judgmental which is what another poster feared might be the case of the safety pin thing. My take on this, we don't all have to agree on everything. It all seems so polarized on everything right now. 

ETA - Just in case you can't tell from my post, I do not feel any type of bigotry is right. It just seems like we're all trying to slap huge labels on each other at the moment.

Edited by tcb
  • Like 5

:lol: :lol:

• Like 1