Menu

Can one have a cranny without a nook?

Kareni

I am now going to start working crannies with no nooks into everyday conversation.

"Go sweep again and make sure to get the cranny between the stove and cupboard."

"I found the remote control in the cranny between the couch cushions!"

"The missing socks were in the cranny next to the dryer."

• Like 18

There are several fossilized words in English that are more or less obsolete except for their survival in a single phrase - "to eke out a living" (eke meant to stretch - we find it also in the term "nickname" which indicated a name "eked" onto the original name), "nook and cranny" (a cranny is a small, narrow space or opening... like a crevice, I suppose), "kith and kin" (kith are your friends and relations).

You can certainly choose to use cranny alone if you like. People generally don't, but sometimes you can bring a word back into usage that way... even if only among a small group of people.

• Like 3

It looks like cranny and nook are synonyms, so yes!  Let's bring it back!

(definition of cranny)

a small, narrow opening in a wall, rock, etc.; chink; crevice; fissure:

a small out-of-the-way place or obscure corner; nook.

Edited by Butter
  • Like 1

I totally use the word cranny when talking about cleaning small cracks. "Really get in there, scrub all the little crannies." Never really thought of it as weird. Evidence mounts that I may actually be a hobbit.

When the kids were little, I'd tell them to be sure to wash their nooks and crannies when they were in the shower.   

• Like 2

And speaking of pairs of words, whatever happened to poor ruth? Its antonym, ruthless (without pity or compassion) is used all the time. Shouldn't we encourage more ruth in our culture?!

I had a friend in college who tried to get "gruntled" to catch on, but I guess there are already enough synonyms for satisfied.

• Like 4

There are several fossilized words in English that are more or less obsolete except for their survival in a single phrase - "to eke out a living" (eke meant to stretch - we find it also in the term "nickname" which indicated a name "eked" onto the original name), "nook and cranny" (a cranny is a small, narrow space or opening... like a crevice, I suppose), "kith and kin" (kith are your friends and relations).

You can certainly choose to use cranny alone if you like. People generally don't, but sometimes you can bring a word back into usage that way... even if only among a small group of people.

Fossilized? We use cranny, usually in reference to cracks in rocks. "Every crack and cranny" we use more often than "nook and cranny". We use eke, too. We often eke out the last of something, like butter. We don't use kith but we use kin for relatives and we use akin.

Nan

• Like 2

It could be a selling point in real estate. "Here we have the breakfast nook, and over there, the reading cranny."

And the reading cranny likely has books and perhaps even a Nook or Kindle.

I've enjoyed all the replies and now feel quite gruntled.  Many thanks!

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 5

Gruntle is the frequentative of grunt. Originally, it simply meant to utter lots of little grunts and from there "to grumble". The dis- is actually an intensifier and not a negative. Gruntled never meant "pleased" until it was humorously backformed as the antonym of "disgruntled" in the 20th century.

• Like 6

The conversation at my house this morning is all about nooks and crannies. 

One can use the word nook without an accompanying cranny -- "Oh, what a charming breakfast nook!"

But can one have a cranny without a nook?

Regards,

Kareni

English muffins are full of crannies.

• Like 3

I had a friend in college who tried to get "gruntled" to catch on, but I guess there are already enough synonyms for satisfied.

When I was a teen I worked at a guest ranch.  One off day my boss remarked that I wasn't very combolulated that day.

• Like 3

Gruntle is the frequentative of grunt. Originally, it simply meant to utter lots of little grunts and from there "to grumble". The dis- is actually an intensifier and not a negative. Gruntled never meant "pleased" until it was humorously backformed as the antonym of "disgruntled" in the 20th century.

:D The things I learn here!

Edited by Forget-me-not
  • Like 4

One can totally have a cranny without a nook, as above a cranny is smaller and more like a crack or a crevice while a nook as a small space but more functional like a reading nook or a nook in a wall (inbuilt shelves within the wall space)

• Like 3