Menu

If you did a long distance move with pets, how did you manage it?

Dmmetler

We are waiting to find out if DD got into her dream program, and if she does, we would need to move most of the way across the USA. Shipping stuff is no big deal, and it might be fun to do the trip and stop at some of the places on the way, since it's country we haven't necessarily visited (except for big cities) in the past. I can't drive more than a couple of hours at a stretch, so DH would be doing most of the driving.

But, we have three cats. One of whom is 15. He's in good health overall for his age, but he's getting old. And we can't drive and stop frequently with them in the car. We're wondering what options would exist for getting them there?

(In some ways, the snakes are easier. DD has friends who breed snakes, and they regularly sell snakes online and ship via fed ex, so we have people who will keep them until we get there, then box them and stick them on an overnight flight. But Fed Ex doesn't do cats.)

• Like 2

We are waiting to find out if DD got into her dream program, and if she does, we would need to move most of the way across the USA. Shipping stuff is no big deal, and it might be fun to do the trip and stop at some of the places on the way, since it's country we haven't necessarily visited (except for big cities) in the past. I can't drive more than a couple of hours at a stretch, so DH would be doing most of the driving.

But, we have three cats. One of whom is 15. He's in good health overall for his age, but he's getting old. And we can't drive and stop frequently with them in the car. We're wondering what options would exist for getting them there?

(In some ways, the snakes are easier. DD has friends who breed snakes, and they regularly sell snakes online and ship via fed ex, so we have people who will keep them until we get there, then box them and stick them on an overnight flight. But Fed Ex doesn't do cats.)

There are snakes on the FedEx trucks??? :crying:

The poor snake or the poor driver...

• Like 2

You have three people in your family, right? You could each take one cat as your carry-on on a flight (as long as minors are allowed to carry on pets--I haven't checked on that). Depending on the limit of total pets in cabin, you might have to take two different flights, check one cat in cargo, or have one of you fly first class while the others are in economy.  

We drove cross country with our cats when DH was transferred (Navy). We had a small SUV (and only 1 kid at the time), and a U-haul trailer that allowed us to keep the trunk mostly empty. In the mornings when we loaded up, we would also set up a small travel litter box and water dish in the back. After we got in the car I would reach over the back seat and open the carriers so the cats could come out if they wanted. A couple times they would use the litter box, but they usually waited until we had pulled in for the night and set them up in the hotel room. If we went into a restaurant for lunch (usually just fast food, so we could sit where the car was visible), we would leave the car running with the air on and lock it manually with the other set of keys. It wasn't a great option, but the only one we had available and worked out fine.

• Like 4

So, I don't know if our way is an option or not.

When we moved out to OR, my parents kept our dogs until they drove out for the first visit.  When we moved back from OR to IA, DH drove them back here and we followed by flight.

I'm wondering if ya'all can drive separately if you have to stop?  Otherwise, if $$ isn' an object, you can hire companies who drive animals cross country if you don't want to fly them.  Another option is having friends put them on planes for you.... we weren't comfortable with Legend flying because of A) his size and B) we weren't sure he'd be well behaved with strangers when he was scared.

We traveled from the mid-Atlantic to Texas with a dog and a cat. The dog was fine. The cat...well. She would always puke riding along when we would take her to the vet so we thought she'd just be puking all the time. Got a sedative, but sheesh, it knocked her out pretty strong. And she gassed! Wow. We kept her in a crate.

The second day we decided no meds and it wasn't so bad, so we quit giving her the meds. She would meow pretty bad sometimes. Eventually, dd would hold cat and cat just wanted to look out the window. She would eat at night in the hotel room and we wouldn't let her eat past midnight so as to prevent puking next day.

DD thinks if we take cat for a ride occasionally, cat doesn't get sick. So you might want to try frequent car rides to see how they do. Fresh air seemed to be better than covering the crate with a towel, some cats might not want to see what's going on though.

You can drive and stop frequently with cats in the car. The weather is cooler. You may have to leave the other adult in the car running sometimes for AC, but it is possible to do it this way. 

If it was dark and we needed to stop for food, we would park away from entrances to stores and restaurants; pets were fine in the vehicle with windows down a little ways. We were traveling in October, February, March and April. If it was daylight, we'd try to keep things as low-key as possible. 

Sometimes we tried to get cat to take walks on her leash and harness at interstate stops, but she was usually too scared to do it. 

However, going to touristy places and state parks and stuff like that, usually one of us would stay in or at the vehicle.

Have you asked your vet yet about traveling long distances with cats?

We drove for two days with 4 cats and a Golden Retriever.  Two cats per carrier, carriers stacked on top of one another with the dog in the remaining space in the back seat.  We carried disposable litter boxes.  Every 3 hours we would stop and let the dog walk around, do her business, drink water, get a small bite to eat.  We would also let the cats out to use the litter box, get some water and a small snack, but we kept them in the car.  We would toss the litter box in a trash bag and throw it away.  We did not stop to see any sites.  We just drove and drove and drove.  It was not easy but we made it.

If you want to stop along the way then is there anyone you could leave the cats with until you are at your destination?  They could have a vet administer a sedative and put them on a plane for shipping to your location.   If you knew you were needing to take a trip out there before the actual move, you could fly the cats out early, board them at a kennel, fly back for the move and get them out of the kennel when you arrive.  Expensive, but probably easier on the cats and the family.  I would definitely look for a kennel with an excellent reputation for long-term care.

You can sometimes hire people to drive animals across country but unless they are people with a ton of experience and a great reputation and some way of verifying past experience, I would seriously hesitate to go this route.

• Like 1

Here's another option, if you can afford it - we did this getting my 2 cats from one side of the Pacific Ocean to the other.

We found a company who shipped the cats for us. We gave them the date we wanted the cats to arrive at our destination, and they picked up the cats from us and kept them in a boarding kennel until the date/time of their flight. Then they were put on their flight (in crates) and we picked them up at the other end. It gave us enough time to arrive ourselves and catch our breath - get things a little set up for them, at least - before they arrived.

The cats were fine, although exhausted. I think they slept for about 3 days after they arrived, but part of that could have been jet lag, too!

I would assume you have 2 cars and need to get both to new location?  If it were us and the budget was generous... then DH would drive out a week or two before we needed to be there and get everything set up, housing, utilities, etc... I'd have him take the pets and either set them up in the new house with a daily pet sitter or board them.  Then he'd fly back and a week later we'd all drive out together stopping occasionally as we went.  A cheaper/less time consuming option is that DH and I leave at same time he, with the cats, takes the express route and I and the kids take the scenic route. He'd get there well ahead of us but probably no more than an extra day or two.

We have always traveled with pets.  When we moved from TN to KS we took the dog and cat. We stopped in IN (home state) and gave the cat to my sister because no one could handle another moment of the "I'm dying" type sound coming from her.  It was sad but she ended up very happy living on the farm. The dog did great.  

Our current cat was going with us from IN to TN and there was no way we could leave her behind with family (she's DD's best friend). She hid under the front passenger seat mewing about every 20 minutes the entire way so we just tried to hurry as much as possible.... 

We moved with pets several times including cats.  The cats traveled fine in the car.  We were traveling on military orders so none of our day's travels were too long (the military would give you 350 miles a day to travel).  That gave the cat(s) enough time to spend in the hotel room to eat and do its business.  I am glad that we aren't trying to move the present cat though (my dd will be moving her in 2018 when she moves into an apartment if she is allowed pets there).  That cat just meows non stop when we drive a few miles to the vet.

I'd be careful with sedatives. Animals react differently to them. We did a sedative for our cat and it actually killed him. We had hired a pet service to pick him up at our vets office, where they gave him the sedative, and bring him out to us. We got the call about an hour into his trip. It was awful. My boys were just devastated. I would never do sedatives again. He's the one pictured on my avatar. :(

Edited by MyLittleBears

We did a three-day move with cats.  

If you think you might use sedatives, try the smallest dose (and move up in dosage if need be) first at home well before your trip so you know exactly how much to give without overdoing it and what your cat will do on it.  We did not do this and one of our cats FREAKED OUT.  She yowled and mashed her paws and face against the carrier until she was bleeding.  She had been in cars before and while she was not happy about it, she did not yowl and hurt herself.  The vet had given it to us in hopes that she would just chill instead of meow the whole time.  It was terrible.  We ended up stopping after just a few hours because she would not calm down.  

For the rest of the trip, we went with no sedative and just listened to meowing for three days.  We had a big carrier with a small litter box in it but neither cat used it in the car.  They waited until we were in hotels.  We did not leave them in the car.  We stopped for food but ate in the car and took turns using restrooms and such.  It was not too bad.  DO make sure you book hotels that allow pets and use the "do not disturb" sign if you leave the room at all in case housekeeping needs in and the cats try to escape.  Ask me how I learned that trick.....  Nothing like chasing a cat through a hotel lobby to liven up the evening.

I'd be careful with sedatives. Animals react differently to them. We did a sedative for our cat and it actually killed him. We had hired a pet service to pick him up at our vets office, where they gave him the sedative, and bring him out to us. We got the call about an hour into his trip. It was awful. My boys were just devastated. I would never do sedatives again. He's the one pictured on my avatar. :(

I am so sorry.  :(

• Like 1

When we moved we had a golden retriever and two cats. We were moving on a generous relocation package and the company paid for a company (Air Animal) to make all the arrangements to have our animals flown. They picked them up at our house the night before we flew out, boarded them for the night, put them on a flight in the morning, picked them up at the airport and delivered them to us at our corporate housing.

It was easy for us and the animals did well (they didn't allow any sedatives) but I know it was really pricey.

We bought a dog carrier and put the two cats in there. There was enough room for food, water and a litter box in there too. They weren't happy, but they made it. 

My MIL and her husband drive from FL to RI a few times a year with their cat. They put a litter box on the floor behind one of the front seats, the food and water behind the other and let the kitty roam free in the car. 

• Like 1

Can you have someone or your vet, cat sit the 3 cats, until you are ready to have them sent to you via air freight?  They can go with the snakes?  I moved from TX to Cali, Colombia with a 12 1/2 year old Old English sheepdog. She went from Dallas/Ft. Worth to Miami and then from Miami to Cali, Colombia. She passed away when she was a little over 15 years old.  I think Lisa moved from VA to Italy with 5 (?) dogs, but I honestly do not remember how many dogs they had. I do seem to remember they had 27 pieces of luggage.   Have you considered having your car shipped and flying to your new destination? That would eliminate the sightseeing along the way, which is great, but it would get everyone there more quickly and easier.  When a late friend transferred with a large airline from NYC to DFW, years ago, the company paid to ship one of their cars. It went inside a moving van with their stuff.   

OT: Cats and snakes seem to be an interesting combination of pets.

GL with your move!

We either did one of two things: my husband would make the trip first with the animals in one car, put them in a boarding kennel that had been recommended by people who lived in the new area, and then leave car on Base while he flew back home for our packing out (this was late in our military career) or we would drive both cars to new destination with animals int the cars (early military career). We did use calming medication from the vet for the cats but our dogs always loved the car and were easy to travel with, even with just one person.

For moving cats, the best thing we've done was to use a large dog travel crate, duck tape a small little box in a corner of it (a cardboard boot box worked well), and of course, have a water dish (they have them that secure to the metal grate at the front of the crate) handy, and then you can feed them in the morning/night at the hotel. When I moved my cats this way, I had 2 cats in one large dog crate. At the hotel at night, we'd let them loose to play/eat/etc. Worked great. 

For 3 cats, I'd suggest using multiple crates -- either 2 or 3. Only put more than one cat in each crate if they are very friendly. 

Line the crate with a dog bed sort of bedding, not just folded blankets/towels. The dog bed will stay secure and not slip around, and that will allow the cats to snuggle into it, grip with their claws, etc, and feel more secure. 

I've used this method for a 2000 mile 5 day x-country move more than once. Always worked well.

Also, be sure your pets all have collars with your CELL PHONE number on it. If you don't have time to get tags printed, just use a simple collar and make a masking tape "flag" on the collar with your number on it. This is super helpful for traveling/moving. And, if your cats are not microchipped, then this would be a good time to get that done. 

During the move/hotels/etc, be extremely vigilant to always have "two doors" between your cat and the outdoors. Cats escaping from vehicles or hotels, etc, is very common. 

Discuss this with your vet . . . He might have additional tips. 

• Like 1

This isn't going to be any help, but I laugh when I think about it, mainly because it wasn't me....my sister moved about 5 hours away and took her cats. One slept under a blanket the entire time, and didn't move, the other meowed the entire 5 hours....I kid you not. I spoke to my sister on the phone near the end of the trip and the meows were quite hoarse, but no less frequent, by then. She didn't want to do kitty Valium because she was afraid it would make her stop breathing.

I drove myself from SE TX to Chicago over two days, with two terriers and two birds.  I stayed overnight in a hotel that allowed dogs - I had found the hotel on a website called Petswelcome  - this was almost 20 years ago so I'm sure there are better ways to find pet-friendly hotels now.  Every time I stopped for a bathroom or gas, I took the dogs for a little walk.  I kept the birdcages covered for the drive.