Menu

Help - need soup recipes.

One of my favorites is potato soup.

You can substitute a couple Tablespoons of vegetable oil for the bacon fat if you prefer.

2-3 slices of bacon

3 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed

2 stalks celery, chopped

2 medium carrots, diced

1 small onion, chopped

1 teaspoon salt

1/8 teaspoon pepper

1 cup water

2 Tablespoons flour

2 cups milk

In large saucepan, fry bacon until crisp, drain on paper towel. In drippings add veggies, seasoning and water. Cook covered about 15 minutes or until tender. Combine flour with small amount of milk until smooth. Add to potato mixture along with remaining milk. Cook over medium heat until mixture boils. Garnish with crumbled bacon.

Now, I hardly ever put carrots in the soup. I have added other things. A cup of shredded cheddar cheese, some whole kernel corn, chopped leftover ham instead of bacon. I think anything you would put into a stuffed baked potato would go well. Broccoli and cheese with a dollop of sour cream for a garnish.

MEXICAN CORN SOUP

4 c chicken stock

1 ½ c corn

1 ½ c cooked chicken, diced

3/4 c tomatoes, diced (fresh or canned)

½ c red bell pepper, diced

2 TBSP green chilies

½ tsp garlic

1 tsp dried oregano

1 ½ tsp cumin

1 tsp dried basil

salt and pepper

½ c green onion, diced

Bring stock to boil. Add meat, spices, and vegetables, except green onion. Simmer 1 hour. Add green onion right before serving. Garnish with tortilla chips. (Prep time: 20 min.; cooking time - 1 hour)

CHICKEN TORTILLA SOUP (crock pot, excellent)

1 ½ LBS COOKED, shredded chicken

15 oz can Ro-tel chopped tomatoes

10 oz can enchilada sauce

1 onion, chopped and sauteed

1 garlic clove, chopped and sauteed

4 oz can of chopped green chilies

1 can cannelini beans

2 c water (or use more chix broth)

4 cups chicken broth

1 tsp each of cumin, chili powder, salt

1/4 tsp pepper

1 bay leaf

1 c corn

1 TBSP chopped fresh cilantro

Cook on high in crock pot 3-4 hours. Add cilantro at end until heated through.

Topping:

Cut 6 corn tortillas into strips and toss with 2 TBSP oil. Place on a cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for about 8 minutes until nicely brown. Top each serving of soup.

ZUPPA TOSCANA (Like Olive Garden)

16 oz package sweet Italian sausage, casings removed, crumbled, browned, blotted

3/4 c chopped onion

6 slices bacon, cut up

red pepper flakes (to taste)

1 ½ tsp minced garlic

2 potatoes, cut into 1/4 inch slices

1 quart chicken stock or broth

1/3 cup heavy whipping cream

2 cups spinach - washed, dried, and torn in small pieces

Place onions and bacon in a large saucepan and cook over medium heat until onions are almost clear. Add garlic and cook an additional minute. Add red pepper flakes, broth, and potatoes. Simmer 15 minutes. Add sausage, spinach, and cream. Simmer 4 minutes and serve.

BRAZILIAN BLACK BEAN SOUP

4 cans black beans

1 TBSP olive oil

3 cups chopped onion

10 garlic cloves, crushed

2 tsp cumin

2 tsp salt

1 medium carrot, diced

1 medium bell pepper

1 ½ cups orange juice

2 medium tomatoes, diced (or use 14 oz canned)

black pepper to taste

Heat olive oil in a medium sized skillet. Add onion, half the garlic, cumin, salt and carrot. Saute over medium heat until carrot is just tender. Add remaining garlic and the bell pepper. Saute until everything is very tender (10 - 15 minutes). Add beans. Stir in the OJ, black pepper, and tomatoes. Puree all or some of the soup (by blender, food processor, or hand blender). Return to kettle. Simmer over very low heat 10-15 minutes more. Serve topped with sour cream, cilantro, and salsa.

Here's my Mediteranian Soup. It is easy but good.

A package of dried Minestroni Soup mix (Knorr or some other brand)

4 cups of water...you can water it down later as it is a fairly hearty soup.

3/4 cup red french lentils

2 cloves garlic crushed

1 teaspoon cumin

Mix all these together and bring to a boil and simmer for about 30 minutes.

Add one can drained chickpeas and simmer for 10 more minutes.

This is a thick soup that tastes good with crusty bread and butter.

You can garnish with sour cream and/or chopped parsley but I don't usually.

I also like to make Beef and Barley Soup.

Soak about one cup hulled barley for about 3 hours in plain water...it will sprout a little if you are lucky. Hulley barley is the unprocess kind and you do not usually get it in a regular grocery store. If you use pearled barley there is no need to soak.

Fry one finely cut onion and add two cans of beef stock (this is the secret to all my good soups:glare:) with 2 cans of water or homemade stock from the bones. Add the drained barley. Throw in a handful or two of baby carrots that have been cut up on the round. I put this in the crockpot but you can simmer it on the stove. At the end I sometimes cube one or two swiss steaks or cube steak (the kind that has been pretenderized with the holes in it) and add it to the boiling soup. They just need to cook through for a few minutes. It is not an exact recipe so you can adjust as your family requires. We call this Beef and Barney Soup. :D

Soups are wonderful but you gotta make'm with flavor! ;)

Here are our favorites.

Taco Soup

1 lb ground beef or ground turkey

1 medium onion, chopped

1 can (16 oz) tomato sauce

2 cans (16oz each) tomatoes, cut up

2 cans (16 oz each) pinto beans

1/2 - 1 pkg taco seasoning

Brown meat (drain if not extra lean), Add remaining ingredients and simmer 30 minutes.

Three Bean Soup

1/2 tsp chopped garlic

1 can (28 oz) tomatoes, cut up

3 cups water

1 can (6 oz) tomato paste

1 tsp chili powder (I always leave this out)

1 tblsp dijon mustard

1 tsp dried basil

1 tsp oregano

1/2 tsp cumin

1/2 tsp pepper

1 can (15 oz) kidney beans, drained

1 can (15 oz) blackeyed peas, drained

1 can (15 oz) garbanzo beans, drained

1 can (15 oz) whole kernel corn, drained

1 cup chopped carrots

1 cup chopped zucchini or celery

1 medium onion, chopped

Combine first 13 ingredients. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer covered for 10 minutes. Add the rest and simmer covered 10 minutes more.

Both are incredibly easy and freeze well. The Three Bean is nice because you can leave off what you don't like, add in what you do. French bread and butter is a must for the three bean, and homemade tortillas for the taco :D

Edited by jojomojo

Lemon Tarragon Chicken Soup

2 1/2 C cubed, cooked chicken (frozen grilled chicken strips work well, too)

6 T butter

1 large onion, chopped

2 tsp. minced garlic

3/4 C flour

5 C chicken broth

1 chicken bouillon cube, crushed (opt.)

1 T finely chopped fresh Tarragon or 1 1/2 tsp dried

dash Tabasco sauce

1 1/4 C heavy cream (you can use milk, but it won't be as delicious)

1/4 C lemon juice (about 1 lemon)

Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until soft. Stir in garlic and cook for 1 minute. Mix in flour and cook for 5 minutes. Mix crushed bouillon into chicken broth and slowly whisk into the saucepan. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer 5 minutes. Stir in tarragon, Tabasco, cream, lemon juice, and chicken. Serves 6.

Farmhouse Chili (not really "chili")

This is a cool-weather family favorite - more like a thick sausage stew. Not spicy at all. It is a great recipe to freeze and have on hand for a quick meal. I usually double or triple the recipe.

1 lb ground pork sausage (I like Tennessee Pride :))

1 lb ground beef

1 large onion, chopped

8 oz sliced mushrooms (opt.)

1 28 oz can diced or crushed tomatoes

2 T maple syrup or molasses

2 tsp ground cumin

2 tsp sage

1/2 tsp pepper

1 tsp salt

2 (or more) cans navy beans, drained and rinsed

2 C shredded cheddar cheese

1 C sour cream

corn chips or corn bread

In a large, deep skillet or soup kettle over medium heat, cook sausage, ground beef, onion, and mushrooms until meat is cooked. Spoon off excess fat and add tomatoes, maple syrup, cumin, sage, salt and pepper, and beans. Simmer 20 minutes. Serve with shredded cheese, sour cream, and corn chips or bread. Serves 8-10.

OH oh oh! Pick me, pick me! :willy_nilly:

I make this frequently at home and for church dinners and it's always a hit! HIT, I tell you!

Title: Olive Garden Pasta E Fagioli

Yield: 8 Servings

Ingredients

1 Pound ground beef

1 Small onion; diced (1 cup)

1 Large carrot; julienned (1

-cup)

3 Stalks celery; chopped (1

-cup)

2 Cloves garlic; minced

2 14.5-Oz Cans diced tomatoes

1 15-Oz Can red kidney beans;

-(with liquid)

1 15-Oz Can great northern

-beans; (with liquid)

1 15-Oz Can tomato sauce

1 12-Oz Can V-8 juice

1 Tablespoon white vinegar

1 1/2 Teaspoons salt

1 Teaspoon oregano

1 Teaspoon basil

1/2 Teaspoon pepper

1/2 Teaspoon thyme

1/2 Pound (1/2 pkg.) ditali

-pasta

Instructions

It's amazing how many lousy clones for this delicious chili-like soup from

Olive Garden are floating around on the Web. Some are shared on message

boards, others are displayed on sites in a collection of "actual restaurant

recipes" (yeah, right!). But they all leave out obvious ingredients you can

see, like the carrots, ground beef, or two kinds of beans. Others don't get

the pasta right -- it's obviously ditali pasta (short little tubes). Then

there's the recipe that really squeezed the seeds from my gourd -- one

that's floating around in MasterCook format that lists "Top Secret Recipes"

as the source. But, wait a minute! I've never before created a clone for

this dish -- not here on the site, and not in any book. So, after logging

some time over a chopping block, an open flame, and a couple tasty glasses

of Merlot, out popped this puppy. And this is the one, kitchen cloners! If

you want the taste of Pasta e Fagioli at home, this is the only recipe that

will fool in a side-by-side taste test. Accept no other imitation

imitation!

1. Brown the ground beef in a large saucepan or pot over medium heat. Drain

off most of the fat.

2. Add onion, carrot, celery and garlic and saute‚ for 10 minutes.

3. Add remaining ingredients, except pasta, and simmer for 1 hour.

4. About 50 minutes into simmer time, cook the pasta in 1 1/2 to 2 quarts

of boiling water over high heat. Cook for 10 minutes or just until pasta is

al dente, or slightly tough. Drain.

5. Add the pasta to the large pot of soup. Simmer for 5-10 minutes and

serve.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per serving (excluding unknown items): 356 Calories; 16g Fat (39% calories

from fat); 21g Protein; 34g Carbohydrate; 48mg Cholesterol; 645mg Sodium

_____

Contributor: Todd Wilber http://www.topsecretrecipes.com

We were never crazy about soup in our house, but I do like to serve soup instead of salad when I have guests, so I've found some good ones.

Last year I made a Butternut Squash soup. Yummo. This recipe is similar to the one I used; mine didn't have soy milk. I think I added some cream at the end.

Here's a recipe for Muligatawny Soup. Served over rice, it's yummy, and hearty.

We really enjoy these, and none of them take very long, especially the Fiesta Soup. I keep the stuff for that around for anytime I need something really quick.

White Chicken Chili

1 med. Onion, chopped

2 cloves garlic, minced

1/3 c. fresh cilantro, chopped

2 tsp. canola oil

2 cans great northern beans (15 oz.)

1 c. chicken, cooked and diced

Salt, pepper, and chili powder to taste

Chicken broth (add for consistency you want)

Saute the first 4 ingredients for 2 minutes. Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer 30 minutes.

Fiesta Soup

1 can black beans (15 oz.)

1 can whole kernel corn (11 oz.)

1 can Rotel Original (10 oz.)

Fresh Cilantro, to taste

Ground Cumin, to taste

Stir together and simmer over med-low heat for 15 minutes.

Heidleburg Soup

1 16 oz. pkg. frozen mixed vegetables (you could choose whatever veggies your family will eat)

3 large potatoes, peeled and diced

1 large onion, chopped

Water to more than cover the above 3 combined in large pot

2 chicken bouillon cubes

2 cans cream of celery soup

8 oz. velveeta, cut into small cubes

Pepper to taste

Boil the first three ingredients until potatoes are tender. Make sure you have water left in pot. Add the bouillon and soup. Heat on medium until bouillon cubes have melted. Reduce heat to medium-low. Add cheese slowly, allowing the pieces to melt before adding more. Stir continually until all cheese is melted, being careful to not scorch.

We have this about twice a month throughout the year.

Lentil Soup

1/2 medium onion, chopped

1 garlic clove, finely minced

1 smallish carrot, coarsely chopped

3/4 cup green lentils

1 bay leaf

2 whole canned tomatoes, drained, seeded & coarsely chopped; OR 2 whole fresh Roma tomatoes, seeded & coarsely chopped; OR 2-3 Tbsp. of spaghetti sauce; OR 2 Tbsp. of ketchup..... (you get the idea? Some tomato thing. If you hate tomatoes, skip it; it turns out fine without them)

1 1/2 tsp. salt

1/8 tsp. fresh ground pepper

In stockpot with 1 Tbsp butter (OR 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil) saute onion, garlic & carrots until tender, about 5 mins.

Meanwhile, rinse & pick over your lentils.

Add the lentils, bay leaf, tomatoes, salt & pepper, + about 5 to 5.5 cups of water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat & simmer until lentils are tender, about 40 minutes.

Optional: You can stir in a handful of chopped fresh escarole or spinach 5 min before serving.

Top with croutons, drizzle some extra virgin olive oil on top of the croutons.

****I usually double the recipe & this serves all 4 of generously for dinner (with salad & cornbread) and leaves 2 smallish helpings for the kids' lunch the next day.

Last night I quadrupled the recipe to freeze half for later.

I have one son who is rather picky about veggies (my sensory kid.) He hates peas and green beans (some of my favorite soup staples.

For one of my sons I had to serve the soup on a plate and so he could group things together like the potatoes, carrots, etc. Maybe he will like it better that way.

I made some Beef and Cabbage Stew the other night. It was really good. I browned about 1 lb. ground beef then put it in the crockpot. I sauteed some onions and celery in the same pan as I browned the meat. When the onion started to get soft I added a bunch of chopped cabbage and softened that too. Add that to the crockpot and then add a 14 oz. can of diced tomatoes. I used some with Italian spices. Add a couple cups of water then cook on low for about 6 hours or so. I bet it would be better with some chopped green pepper and maybe a little cayenne pepper to get it some spiciness. I served it over rice.

This is my back-up soup. We've always got the ingredients in the pantry so that I can make it at the last minute, and I can make it from memory. We just took it to the neighbor for soup night, and she loved it.

Olive oil

One onion, chopped

3-4 thin-skinned potatoes, 1/2" dice

2 cans diced tomatoes (do not drain)

Sliced sausage (optional)

3-4 cups chicken broth

2 cans white beans, drained & rinsed (We prefer Great Northern.)

1/4 c. grated Parmesan (or similar cheese) for the soup, plus some for the table

Chopped parsley (if you like it--we don't)

Heat the olive oil in the soup pot over medium heat. Add the onions and potatoes and cook until the potatoes are browned. That's the cookbook direction--when I make it, the potatoes rarely brown; instead the bottom of the pot browns, which is alarming the first time you make it, but it's what gives the soup its rich flavor.

Add the tomatoes and simmer until some of the liquid has evaporated.

Add the chicken broth. Turn up the heat until the soup is boiling, then turn down the heat and simmer for 20 min or until the potatoes are soft. Add the beans, sausage, and 1/4 c. Parmesan, stir and heat through. Serve with chopped parsley and/or grated Parmesan on top.

I usually serve it with crusty bread and salad. I've been known to add green beans, greens like kale, or other defilements ( :D ) to the soup, but the original is really best, hearty and simple. Even my pickiest eaters will dip their bread in the broth and eat the "circles" (the sausage).

Cat

Edited by myfunnybunch

When I make beef vegetable (nothing exotic here), it just doesn't taste very good. It is sad when canned soups are better than my home-made ones. I tried putting in more salt that the recipe calls for, but that didn't help. They just don't have much flavor. I need lots of protein, so frou-frou veggie soups may be a good side, but not hearty enough for a meal for me. I would love to replace the canned soups we buy (the usual ones from the grocery store.) Sounds vague?

Just found this one on this forum or another, and my family loved it.

Chicken Wild Rice Soup *****

from The Saint Cloud Hospital, St. Cloud, MN

32 oz. chicken broth

2 c. water

1/2 c uncooked wild rice (Uncle Ben's Wild Rice blend is ok)

1/2 c. chopped onion

1/2 c. chopped celery

1/4 c. chopped parsley (optional, or 2 TBSP dried parsley)

1/2 c. butter

3/4 c. flour

1/2 tsp. salt

1/4 tsp poultry seasoning

1/4 tsp pepper

2 c. whole milk

1 1/2 c. cubed cooked chicken

8 slices crisp bacon, chopped

2 TBSP dry sherry (optional, but good)

In stock pot combine broth and water. Add rice, onion, celery and parsley. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cover. Simmer 35-40 minutes, until rice is tender. (Note: you can do this in the crockpot--it will take about 3 hours on high for the rice to get done)

In medium sauce pan, melt butter. Stir in flour, salt, poultry seasoning and pepper. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly, until smooth and bubbly. Gradually stir in milk; cook until slightly thickened. (I cooked til thick and then added all at once.) Slowly add this to the rice mixture, stirring constantly. Add remaining ingredients and heat through, taking care not to boil. Makes 8 1 1/2 cup servings.

We live on chili here in the winter, too.

When I make beef vegetable (nothing exotic here), it just doesn't taste very good. It is sad when canned soups are better than my home-made ones. I tried putting in more salt that the recipe calls for, but that didn't help. They just don't have much flavor. I need lots of protein, so frou-frou veggie soups may be a good side, but not hearty enough for a meal for me. I would love to replace the canned soups we buy (the usual ones from the grocery store.) Sounds vague?

I agree and share your frustration. Plain soup with just veggies can miss the mark, not all the time but often enough to be discouraging. Have you tried Bragg's liquid amino's? It tastes a little like beef (it is different enough for me that I do not use it). If I add Soy Sauce or Worchestershire sauce to soup sometimes that beefs it up a little without adding the canned soup.

You can make a hearty soup without meat, just be sure you add lots of whole grains, lentils or beans. It is amazing how that will provide you with enough protien to keep going. Many vegetarians make it work just fine. ;)

In the end, I would rather my kids learn to like barley (or lentils or beans) even if I have to add the soup from a can. It is better than never tasting barley at all. If I am making it, I can water it down as much as I would like to reduce the MSG and such. And I do....often.

Bon Appetite!

I'm all about simplicity, and this recipe reflects my preference for quick, easy soups that satisfy the pallate.

Cheesey/Cream Soup

1) 2 quarts of chicken broth (or veggie broth) I keep gluten-free bouillon cubes on hand for this purpose.

Vegetable of choice, usually around 5 cups (I like peeled and diced potatoes, diced asparagus, chopped, frozen broccoli, chopped cauliflower, etc...they can be combined or used alone) You could also add chopped ham or chicken for a meaty soup.

Cook the vegetables until tender

2) Add about 1 or 2 cups of milk (or your nondairy substitute...not the vanilla kind :O)

8 to 16 ounces of cream cheese, depending on your taste preference

Heat to hot (not boiling) and stir occasionally until cheese is melted and distributed

3) If you like even more cheese, add a nice, strong grated cheese (1 cup) and stir until melted.

Add salt & pepper, herbs and spices to taste. Basil is wonderful in the potato soup!

*serving hint: I like to serve my potato, broccoli, or cauliflower soup sprinkled w/ chives. We also preferred croutons on our soup, rather than crackers. I cut a loaf of french bread into large cubes, throw them on a cookie sheet, top w/ a few smatterings of butter, and bake until crispy, stirring occasionally)

Yuuuummmmy :O)

Cheese Tortellini Soup is a favorite here.

I dice and saute' onion and garlic in olive oil.

Add 4-6 C. veg.broth.

Bring to a boil, add about 18 oz. of dried tortellini, then a cup and a half of diced tomatoes. When the tortellini is about done, stir in a 9 0z. bag of baby spinach. That's it :)

NEW BEDFORD PORTUGUESE KALE SOUP

1 package frozen or 1-2 lbs fresh kale

1 large yellow onion

3 potatoes, peeled

2 chourico or linguica, sliced

8 cups chicken or pork broth

1/4 cup Olive Oil

6 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed

1 can Cannelloni beans

1 bay leaf

1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

1 hot pepper, seeded

1/3 teaspoon paprika

Season with salt, & pepper to taste

Slice chourico or linguica and saute in 1/4 cup of olive oil, onion, and chopped garlic. Do not allow garlic to brown, so add last. Sausage does not need to cook. Add liquid and simmer for 10 minutes.

Prepare the kale by rinsing thoroughly and tearing the leafy portions from the stems. Tear into bite-size pieces. Discard stems.

If you do not have broth on hand, use 4 tablespoons of Minor's or Tone's chicken base or 2 tablespoons of Knorr's bouillion granules.

See information below about making broth from scratch for those days when you have the time.

Add potatoes, kale, and simmer additional 30 minutes.

Add beans if desired.

Add one pound peeled baby carrots at the same time as you add the potatoes.

Starting From Scratch:

This soup works well if you start with a pork shoulder bone and make your own broth, but that will require a few extra hours. If you start this way, you can substitute 1/3 pound dry beans added at the start of cooking instead of using the canned beans. Add the potatoes and kale at the last half hour.

Serves 4

Submitted by: CM

Ok, that's the basic recipe from Cooks.com. Now, ideas to make it kid friendly. I often smash up the potatoes so they are not in chunks, that usually helps. You can do the same thing with the carrots. Extra chorico never hurts either. Also, I generally make this in a huge huge kettle and add insane amounts of kale, one head at a time (washed of course) because we could live on the soup flavored kale alone. So we always use extra broth. I have even been known to buy so much kale that I can add more for a few days in a row til it is gone.

I find the children enjoy any root vegetable soup or lentil soup with the addition of two or three large potatoes and blending once cooked. This thickens the soup and makes it creamy and hearty.

I use sauteed onion with olive oil and add from a selection of the following, diced:

celeriac

parsnip

carrot

turnip

squash or pumpkin

lentils

but always with two or three large potatoes and Marigold vegetable bouillon.

Sauteed onion, feenel and garlic with added canned tomatoes and stock, all blended also make a great child-friendly soup. You can also add haricot beans or kidney beans to this for extra protein.

Sprinkling their own cheese at the table is a hit; as are home made croutons (toast stale bread in the oven in pieces with drizzled olive oil and leave in the centre of the table for them to float on their own soup).