Menu

Can we talk supplements and menopausal symptoms?

matrips

There is so much information out there, but it's all over the place. The hive always seems to have tons of information and experience!

This is what I've gathered that can help with menopause symptoms - in my case I'm talking about hot flashes, night sweats, trouble sleeping, feeling on edge and ready to snap about something, crankiness, and not feeling the joy.  A little more interest in tea would be nice too.  :)  

These are all the questions I've been trying to find answers to-

Here are the supplements I've read that help, but is there a combination pill out there or do you take each one separately?  What are the best ones you've found out of the bunch or do they all have a different effect?  Would the dosage be per supplement or if you're taking several supplements does that change the dosage?  What specific brands are best?  I need as much help as possible but going overboard might not be healthy either.  I was at GNC and Whole Foods today and the selections are overwhelming.

Oh, and if any of these would also work for my kids that are going through puberty right now, that would be good to know too :)

5-HTP

B-Complex/Stress vitamins

Multi-vitamins

Black Cohosh

Evening Primrose Oil

Magnesium

Maca Root

Progesterone

Sepia

did I miss anything else?

Thanks!

Yes, tea is a wonderful supplement to menopause, in any stage of the game. :blushing: 

I've used black cohosh but it did have some effect on my digestive system that seemed too strong.

Exercise helps.

I always swear by using herbs before taking a prescription, but I also always forget to keep up with taking stuff on a regular basis. Evening primrose is supposed to help, I know. I put a lot of trust in herbal combinations and would suggest you look at Dr. Christopher's products, some can be found on ...vitacost I think. And the herb pharm guy has good tinctures in single form (single herb) and in combinations. Good luck on finding what works for you. 

I've used both Dr. C's and herb pharm's products for years for various things, including female issues and I trust their products.

• Like 1

There is so much information out there, but it's all over the place. The hive always seems to have tons of information and experience!

This is what I've gathered that can help with menopause symptoms - in my case I'm talking about hot flashes, night sweats, trouble sleeping, feeling on edge and ready to snap about something, crankiness, and not feeling the joy.  A little more interest in tea would be nice too.   :)

These are all the questions I've been trying to find answers to-

Here are the supplements I've read that help, but is there a combination pill out there or do you take each one separately?  What are the best ones you've found out of the bunch or do they all have a different effect?  Would the dosage be per supplement or if you're taking several supplements does that change the dosage?  What specific brands are best?  I need as much help as possible but going overboard might not be healthy either.  I was at GNC and Whole Foods today and the selections are overwhelming.

Oh, and if any of these would also work for my kids that are going through puberty right now, that would be good to know too :)

5-HTP

B-Complex/Stress vitamins

Multi-vitamins

Black Cohosh

Evening Primrose Oil

Magnesium

Maca Root

Progesterone

Sepia

did I miss anything else?

Thanks!

I do

5-htp

high quality b-complex (emerald laboratories)

YOGA -even helps with hot flashes.  I do yoga on dvd targeting out of shape middle age women.  most "beginner" yoga dvds are for younger women who already exercise, but are new to yoga.

getting my adrenals and thyroid treated.

I used Maca, Fish Oil caps or Cod liver Oil, Vitamin B Complex, Vitamin D 3, bio-identical progesterone and ate healthier (cut out most sugar). I also walk every day for half an hour (unless it's raining), do yoga exercises (mostly for my back though) and go to the gym now and then for strengthening and cardio work.

I am either extremely fortunate or the Maca is fabulous because I cannot remember ever having a hot flash.

Overall I would consult a naturopath if possible since they should know which supplements target what.

Maca - 90mg from Nature's Sunshine (90caps for about $15.00)

Vitamin B complex from Metabolic Maintenance

Vitamin D 3 from Bluebonnet, liquid form (very inexpensive)

Fish Oil from Nordic Naturals

bio-identical progesterone has to be prescribed and is compounded at a pharmacy

Edited by Liz CA

My chiropractor put me on the Chinese herb Geng Nian An Wan. You can get it on Amazon. Literally changed my life. I was waking up at least 4 times a night with such sweats! So I was getting sleep deprived as well as suffering from some hot flashes during the day. Within a week, I was sleeping through the night and not having anymore flashes. Wonderful product. Get the burgundy pack that says 192 pills - gold blister packs. A single dose is 4 little black pills that look like bbs. Take it morning and night. (It also restored natural mucus to tea areas which I suffered from lacking)

• Like 1

My chiropractor put me on the Chinese herb Geng Nian An Wan. You can get it on Amazon. Literally changed my life. I was waking up at least 4 times a night with such sweats! So I was getting sleep deprived as well as suffering from some hot flashes during the day. Within a week, I was sleeping through the night and not having anymore flashes. Wonderful product. Get the burgundy pack that says 192 pills - gold blister packs. A single dose is 4 little black pills that look like bbs. Take it morning and night. (It also restored natural mucus to tea areas which I suffered from lacking)

Thanks for the info.  I just ordered it and hope it makes a difference for me.

I do

5-htp

high quality b-complex (emerald laboratories)

YOGA -even helps with hot flashes.  I do yoga on dvd targeting out of shape middle age women.  most "beginner" yoga dvds are for younger women who already exercise, but are new to yoga.

getting my adrenals and thyroid treated.

I'd love to know what yoga dvd you are using.  I tried yoga and it was sad :)

• Like 1

Er...a little OT, but can you share which you like? I need something that doesn't leave me feeling depressed a third of the way in *sigh*

yoga condition for weightloss by suzanne deason.  it doesn't do a lot of upper body strengthening, but it is an otherwise good all around practice for those in poor shape.  she has others doing the practice with her, each doing a different level of modification.  you can focus on only one, or all.   there are quite a few twisting postures - which will stimulate internal organs.

I started with this, and eventually added in others.  I also like Ashley turner and Barbara benagh. 

I'm still working to get back where I was before my car accident. 

• Like 3

I was having symptoms of RLS, racing thoughts, some night sweats, insomnia.  After going to an herbal health seminar, I started taking what's called the 4 horsemen daily. (The 4 horsemen are supposed to help boost your immune system and thereby reduce your risk of developing chonic diseases such as diabetes, cancer, heart trouble, etc.)

• 1 Vitamen B-100 Complex
  • 2 Mega Potency Vitamin D3 (5000 IU)
  • 2 High Potency Selenium (200 mcg) Maine doesn't have selenium in it's soil, and it's a necessary element, especially for brain function.
  • 2 Concentrated Odor-Controlled Garlic (1000 mg)

I did this for 5 weeks.  Then I cut everything down to 1 capsule of each/day.

My symptoms disappeared.

• Like 1

yoga condition for weightloss by suzanne deason.  it doesn't do a lot of upper body strengthening, but it is an otherwise good all around practice for those in poor shape.  she has others doing the practice with her, each doing a different level of modification.  you can focus on only one, or all.   there are quite a few twisting postures - which will stimulate internal organs.

I started with this, and eventually added in others.  I also like Ashley turner and Barbara benagh. 

Thank you very much. I have a couple different sources for online yoga videos, and I'll look for those as soon as the visiting fam heads home and I can get back to thinking about doing some stuff for myself!

I'd love to know what yoga dvd you are using.  I tried yoga and it was sad :)

:lol: Right there with you. I'm in the worst shape of my life right now, so I need something that won't make me lose all hope of ever being healthy again!

• Like 1

Exercise worked for me.  At least 10,000 steps a day and a couple of yoga classes a week.

It's been magical for me too.

I have been having issues with insomnia and tried melatonin (which does nothing for me).  I just stopped worrying about it.  These days I'm just not sleeping a whole lot, but I don't feel tired either so I guess it's ok.  And usually I'll have a day where when I am very tired I sleep more.  So it's all good.

• Like 1

It's been magical for me too.

I have been having issues with insomnia and tried melatonin (which does nothing for me).  I just stopped worrying about it.  These days I'm just not sleeping a whole lot, but I don't feel tired either so I guess it's ok.  And usually I'll have a day where when I am very tired I sleep more.  So it's all good.

Mindfulness meditation has improved my sleeping.  Let me know if you want to know more.

Thank you.

I have found acupuncture to be extremely helpful.  So does regular exercise, both cardio and strengthening..makes all the difference in the world!

Over the past couple years I have started taking a few different supplements, but I should add that I have an issue with low progesterone. It was diagnosed at a fertility clinic. At the time, I was told it was 'nothing to worry about unless I wanted to get (actually, stay) pregnant' but now I know that was not correct.  So, some of what I do is to address 'estrogen dominance' . My biggest issues are insomnia and general brain fog, lack of focus, being overly emotional with snapping and anger, fluid retention  etc. So far, I don't have hot flashes, but I won't be surprised when I do,lol. I also have issues with breast tenderness to the point where I was wearing a tight sports bra, day and night for 2 weeks out of my cycle. It was miserable. But that is GONE. I have none!

I use a progesterone supplement. I prefer the one by Emereta.  I use it twice a day for 21 days out of my cycle.

I use a 7 Keto cream once a day for 21 days out of my cycle. I have noticed the 7 keto helps immensely with certain areas being dryer than they should be, and I also think it helps with an increased interest in tea. 

I prefer to take hormonal supplements as creams because you can take less.  If you take them orally the liver filters out most of it.

I take 1 tsp Magnesium in 2 cups hot water first thing in the am, and 2 tsp before bed with my before bed supplements. Magnesium is another one that I could take through the skin. A epsom salts bath will also do the trick. Same with magnesium oil. For me, orally is fine so I am sticking with that for now.

I take 1,000 mg taurine twice a day.

Both the magnesium and the taurine help with feeling angry and snapping at people for no good reason. I was taking 1,000 mg once a day of the taurine to help with sleep, but then started taking it in the morning as well and noticed a definite drop in my own bad temper responses. I actually found myself thinking "Huh, I would usually be flying off the handle about this..why would I ever have done that? How silly. It's not a big deal at all."  So, I seemed to have recovered my patience. That is a good thing

I take one capsule of vitex twice a day. This helps with breast tenderness and cycle irregularity and maintaining a hormonal balance. I was told to take it twice a day for two cycles and then drop to once a day. But, when I did that the tenderness returned. It was so I am on two capsules a day.

I was taking Nature's Way Dim plus. It helps with estrogen metabolism. I took two capsules a day for a long time. Recently, I ran out and didn't get to the store in time for a new bottle. I didn't notice an increase in any symptoms without it, so I am not taking it at the moment. But, it was very helpful at the beginning when I was dealing with such an estrogen/progesterone imbalance.  If I notice that I am not feeling my best I will certainly start taking it again. 

For insomnia, in addition to the progesterone and the taurine, I take melatonin and valerian. I also wear a sleep mask, and occasionally ear plugs, lol.  The supplements don't work like a prescription sleeping medication. You can shake off melatonin if you want to. But, sometimes something has come up and I didn't take them, for one reason or another, and I will be awake into the wee hours. So, my sleep isn't perfect, but I know it could be much worse.  And I have never slept well my entire life. So, my 'sleeping well' isn't going to look like everyone else.

And, as an aside, I also take two capsules of milk thistle a day.  It supports a healthy liver.  I could take any liver support supplement, but for now just milk thistle is enough.  It's important to keep your liver health and functioning because it is responsible for filtering out excess hormones from your system.  It helps keep you in balance.

• Like 3

Mindfulness meditation has improved my sleeping.  Let me know if you want to know more.

I once took a mindfulness meditation class.  Let's just say that every time I tried to meditate using the techniques I'd start doing weird stuff like coughing uncontrollably.  It was embarrassing!

I have been falling asleep almost as soon as my head hits the pillow.  It's staying asleep that is the problem.  I often wake up at 3 am wide awake.  I am not going to bed super late, but even if I go to bed at 10 that's only about 5 hours of sleep.  That's not really much.  I used to have the complete opposite problem.  I couldn't fall asleep but when I did I didn't wake up.

Progest creme has helped me too. I use Emeritas. Excerise really helps and I avoid using too much caffeine.

For those considering trying melatonin for sleep, please take cautiously as it can cause depression and/or intrusive thoughts in some. Ymmv.

I avoid alcohol, but have found that kombucha and its natural fermentation really agrees with me.

• Like 1

I once took a mindfulness meditation class. Let's just say that every time I tried to meditate using the techniques I'd start doing weird stuff like coughing uncontrollably. It was embarrassing!

I have been falling asleep almost as soon as my head hits the pillow. It's staying asleep that is the problem. I often wake up at 3 am wide awake. I am not going to bed super late, but even if I go to bed at 10 that's only about 5 hours of sleep. That's not really much. I used to have the complete opposite problem. I couldn't fall asleep but when I did I didn't wake up.

I fall asleep straight away too but then wake back up. It's at that point that I meditate. You might like to have a look at an app. It should have various techniques that you can try. One such is Buddhify.

I have found that giving myself a bit more down time - ie. go quilt, sew, read a book, etc. - has helped a lot with any type of mood swing. Diet - low carb, lots of green and red veggies, very limited beef and no pork - has been the biggest help. I do take D3 in the form of butter oil on my tongue, and I can feel the difference when it get out of the habit of taking it.

But maybe one of the best improvements I've made is choosing to feel younger by trying to lessen the effects of the aging process and that has meant for me:

Getting a gym membership because we live on country roads with no shoulder and big drainage ditches, no sidewalks so walking and jogging is not done around here due to danger of being hit or simply having to jump in the ditch to avoid wide vehicles, people swerving and passing, etc. I use the exercise bike for a half hour -  four times per week - at a clip that gets my heart rate into the 120's but I don't push myself hard, and then I get on the rowing machine for 5-10 minutes, followed by some mild working out with the weight machines...nothing too strenous since I injure easily due to permanent disability from the car accident. I feel mentally and physically better which translates to a lot better mood. I am eventually going to try to commit to five days - M/F - only taking the weekend off due to family scheduling.

Sleep is still a problem. I am going to tackle that next. I am only per-menopausal and probably have 4 years of this left so hot flashes are not common. Maybe once every other week, definitely not more than 3 per month knock.on.wood.

My sister in law, going through the same thing - same age as I just three months apart in age with mothers that went through menopause at about the same age - has also found that the exercise and D3 with a low carb diet are the things that have made the best improvement for her as well.

Beyond that, I've tried doing more for myself after years of doing nothing and pretty much constantly sacrificing for the family. I color my hair because I don't feel ready to embrace the white hair yet, and I don't feel guilty about the expense either. I am more likely to take time with my hair, put on a small amount of make up even when just staying home, go to the cosmetology school where facials are only $5.00 each because the students need practice, and they come with a face, neck, and shoulder rub that is very, very relaxing. Though they do not use high end products, the hot towels on my face and neck, and massage increase circulation a lot, and the all natural exfoliation wash does remove dead skin. I feel a zillion times better and my skin is smooth when I come out. Mentally and emotionally, I feel a little younger, and definitely just holistically a lot better afterward so I go every month. If you live near a cosmetology school, I highly recommend you check it out. Some students are better than others. But for the price, it feels great, and you've done a service for a young person who is trying to learn a trade.

I have also realized that in order for me to be spiritually healthy, I can no longer look the other way on some things. That has meant that in the last year we left our church, and found a gentler, kinder, non-judgmental place where one can simply worship, simply be. Love people, feed people...help where you can, don't sweat the small stuff kind of church.

All of these things have helped me go through this wonkiness without turning into someone I don't want to be.

• Like 2

Wow, there are a lot of suggestions. Just adding mine in here... I have found Women's Balance Herbal Supplement by Gaia to help tremendously with mood swings. And for some reason it has to be that brand. I couldn't get it anywhere for a couple of months and tried to take the various herbs they had in there, but it just didn't work.

I've been taking Enzymatic Therapy AM/PM Perimenopause formula for ...well, I guess it's been since sometime after 35 when I started getting hot flashes occasionally.  It stopped those and has kept me remarkably even keeled emotionally (and there's been a lot of stress over the past few years, divorce, long distance move, etc.).  My stepmom swears by DIM for her menopause symptoms, and the AM/PM Menopause formula didn't seem to work for her (she thought it woke her up in the wee hours of the morning, so she stopped taking it).

I was having symptoms of RLS, racing thoughts, some night sweats, insomnia.  After going to an herbal health seminar, I started taking what's called the 4 horsemen daily. (The 4 horsemen are supposed to help boost your immune system and thereby reduce your risk of developing chonic diseases such as diabetes, cancer, heart trouble, etc.)

• 1 Vitamen B-100 Complex
  • 2 Mega Potency Vitamin D3 (5000 IU)
  • 2 High Potency Selenium (200 mcg) Maine doesn't have selenium in it's soil, and it's a necessary element, especially for brain function.
  • 2 Concentrated Odor-Controlled Garlic (1000 mg)

I did this for 5 weeks.  Then I cut everything down to 1 capsule of each/day.

My symptoms disappeared.

Any particular brands you prefer?

Thanks for this info.