Menu

If you don't have a couch

Mrs. A

what do you do when you just want to lounge and relax?

We tossed our ancient and falling-to-pieces couch and chairs this past spring and decided not to replace them for various reasons. We love having more space in the living room! And for the most part we don't really miss the couch and chairs,but sometimes it's nice to just to sit on something comfy instead of the floor or a dining chair.

We'd rather not get new furniture, but I'm thinking it would be nice to have something to use for this purpose on occasion. So what are our options? Bean bags? Pillows? What do you like and why?

You could use a bench with cushions or big beanbags/pillows. Standalone nesting chairs are also an option. But couches are awfully comfortable, I'd recommend a small one plus two or three chairs flanking it for he combo of comfort and flexibility without so much space being eaten up. Kids can sit and lounge almost anywhere, but adults prefer high seating options than floor cushions sometimes, especially if not culturally accustomed to them :)

we have a couch now, but back when we didn't, we used recliners and a chaise lounge that looked just like this one except in brown instead of white:

https://www.wayfair.com/Three-Posts-Verona-Storage-Chaise-Lounge-THRE1302-L913-K~THRE1302.html?refid=GX103455980923-THRE1302_14310074&device=c&ptid=152276091660&PiID%5B%5D=14310074&gclid=CJaP4c3h088CFZSDfgodBrwNwg

The chaise was constantly in use by my sprawlers and also having the extra storage under the seat was nice for blankets.

• Like 1

We haven't had a couch in our living room in the last two houses.  In the one house, we had two comfortable chairs.  The living room was fairly small.  It had a dining area on the other end of it.  For family gatherings like Christmas, we just brought over extra chairs from the dining room.   We still do that in our new house for Christmas.  In our previous house we had our two recliners and a couch in the family room downstairs where we had a big tv for family watching.  Here in this house, we have the two recliners and the two comfortable chairs in our large living room turned towards a tv and a fireplace.  We do have a couch and another comfortable chair in the family room downstairs where we have our biggest tv.  That is where we do most of our family viewing.  Upstairs, dh and I watch the last night's news at breakfast and then during the day I watch some recorded shows sometimes.  I tend not to go downstairs to watch the biggest tv by myself.  Not sure why, just not my habit.

• Like 1

You could try a day bed or even just a small mattress fashioned kind of like this: http://www.roche-bobois.com/fr-LU/produit/mah-jong-compositions-types-composition-cuir-et-tissu

I love this idea! Just worried that it would take up a lot of space... but on the other hand it's not like it would take up any more space than the old couch did... I'll have to see what dh thinks.

We have a church pew with cushions, and two rocking chairs with cushions. The rockers are quite comfortable. I'd prefer a couch, we often wish we had a couch and a recliner, but we can't afford to upgrade the furniture. Price of hs'ing!

If someone needs to rest and convalesce with movies and company, we move their bed to the front room and prop them up with pillows. My 16yo spent this past weekend that way, recovering from wisdom teeth removal surgery.

No couch?!

How about a sofa, then?

Or a futon?

I think we have six couches. One can never have too many couches!

I'm a lounger. I can't imagine not wanting a couch.

Go buy a couch!

Let them eat cake! LOL Lots of people lack hundreds of dollars for new furniture! We've got burned with used upholstered items; these days I'd also be terrified of bedbugs.

• Like 1

We're couches less right now too, it sucks. I thought I'd be fine & was thrilled with the extra space, but no, sitting at a ard kitchen table chair to read a book just isn't very comfy!

We have a recliner in the playroom & one in the living room, but there are 6 of us. No where to do read alouds.

I find sitting in bed not comfy at all.

We had a futon with a real mattress folded flat for years, but that wasn't great either.

We've tried big bean bags, not great for adults & pretty pricey too.

I'm looking for a couch or love seat now. Am afraid to buy from Craigslist, but would buy from a friend who was selling.

Good luck!

We tossed our ancient and falling-to-pieces couch and chairs this past spring and decided not to replace them for various reasons. We love having more space in the living room! And for the most part we don't really miss the couch and chairs,but sometimes it's nice to just to sit on something comfy instead of the floor or a dining chair.

We'd rather not get new furniture, but I'm thinking it would be nice to have something to use for this purpose on occasion. So what are our options? Bean bags? Pillows? What do you like and why?

My DH, the minimalist, is always exclaiming that a couch is wasted space  :lol:   I just can't imagine not having one.  

Let them eat cake! LOL Lots of people lack hundreds of dollars for new furniture! We've got burned with used upholstered items; these days I'd also be terrified of bedbugs.

Uh, I think the OP mentioned purchasing bean bags, etc . . . I hadn't picked up on the can't afford a couch vibe. Sorry if I missed that info in the posts.

I spent $200 on two large bean bags for my college girl last fall, and within 6 months, the beans were flat, so I spent another $100 this fall on replacement stuffing. Bean bags aren't cheap. My $500 IKEA couches last for approximately eternity, compared to the short lived bean bags . . .

I was under the impression that the OP just preferred not to have a couch due to liking the extra floor space, or some other non-financial reason. I believe the OP indicated that she preferred not to go shopping, but I got the impression she could if she wanted to. I was advocating for the "of course you should have a couch" position. 

Carry on. 

• Like 2

I've had this very piece for 25 years. It is the last icee of furniture I will give away. It's the lounge chair piece. Seats two but lots one read, nap, watch Super Bowls, snuggle young ones. Still has the original fabric but has had to be re-cushioned and needs it again. And has hosted one or two whose car keys we took away. ;0)

Love this piece. It wasn't much more than a couch when we got it.

ETA: the back reclines on my "island" -- that's what we call it. It doesn't look like these do.

I must have the best luck in the history of the universe, because I have never bought a new item of furniture and I have never seen or felt a bedbug.

Well, we threw out our couch this summer because of a terrible flea infestation from our cat, so I'm afraid of used furniture.

Fleas, bedbugs, pet smell, urine, smoke smell... Ugh.

• Like 1

You could also get a couple multi-function pieces that can be put together to make a longer piece. Could be used as a low table or ottoman normally, say, but then pushed together, a couple pillows added perhaps and a sofa is born.

http://www.archiexpo.com/prod/noti/product-67906-1740263.html

Or here's another link. Picture at top.

https://www.imanemagazine.com/les-cinq-commandements-de-la-deco/

Edited by bibiche
  • Like 1

I've had this very piece for 25 years. It is the last icee of furniture I will give away. It's the lounge chair piece. Seats two but lots one read, nap, watch Super Bowls, snuggle young ones. Still has the original fabric but has had to be re-cushioned and needs it again. And has hosted one or two whose car keys we took away. ;0)

Love this piece. It wasn't much more than a couch when we got it.

ETA: the back reclines on my "island" -- that's what we call it. It doesn't look like these do.

Could you share a link or pic, PJ?

We don't currently have the funds for new furniture and really would prefer to keep the space we've gained (1000sqft house with 7 ppl, you want every inch of elbow room!). We may potentially have funds for a nice purchase after Christmas. I'm thinking about it now though because I hate making spur of the moment choices when there's more money involved so I'd like to weigh our options and have time to consider what might work best for us. Unless we move to a larger house in future, a couch is currently out of the picture.

As an aside, my mom thinks we are depriving the dc horribly because there's nowhere to spread out and relax. I don't think they miss it all that much - they used the old couch as though it were playground equipment anyway. :D But she's trying to convince me that their childhood is going to be ruined somehow. :lol

Want my soft leather couch?  I'm getting rid of it soon.  ;)  (We are moving and already have a period-appropriate sofa at the new place). 

• Like 2

My kids and I can happily spread out and relax on clean carpeted (for warmth and softness) floors, especially if the carpet is soft and there are plenty of throw pillows and blankets around. However, I can't keep carpet or rugs clean enough for my preferences, so I've eliminated every carpet/rug/etc in the house (except one silk carpet my mom bought in China . . . but it's in the music room where no shoes, pets, or animalistic small children are allowed, lol) If your floors can stay clean enough to allow a soft throw rug, then a pile of pillows and blankets are all we need to get comfy on the floor. But, I still prefer the couch, lol.

• Like 2

When we got married we sat on cushions on the floor. Someone felt sorry for us poor newly weds and bought us bean bag chairs. We were happy.
Then I got pregnant and then I announced I wasn't going to be 9 months pregnant sitting in a bean bag chair.
We went shopping and bought a couch. I have never looked back.

Edited by KatieinMich
  • Like 1

We had a perfectly good couch, and got rid of it.

Well...we will get rid of it...it's currently upended and still wrapped in plastic in storage from when we moved. We rarely used it at our last house.

OP-- The floor. We do have a few chairs throughout the house...but...the floor almost always.

You could always get Japanese mats.

A low cost option would be to just get a board or an old door, pop it on some crates and cover it with comfy cushions. If you want to get fancy, cover the board with foam, stretch some heavier weight fabric over it and staple it to the other side of the board. If you have more room, you can use a wooden pallet instead of a board or door and that you wouldn't even have to elevate it. Easy, low-cost, portable and when you get tired of it you can get rid of it guilt-free.

Could you share a link or pic, PJ?

We don't currently have the funds for new furniture and really would prefer to keep the space we've gained (1000sqft house with 7 ppl, you want every inch of elbow room!). We may potentially have funds for a nice purchase after Christmas. I'm thinking about it now though because I hate making spur of the moment choices when there's more money involved so I'd like to weigh our options and have time to consider what might work best for us. Unless we move to a larger house in future, a couch is currently out of the picture.

As an aside, my mom thinks we are depriving the dc horribly because there's nowhere to spread out and relax. I don't think they miss it all that much - they used the old couch as though it were playground equipment anyway. :D But she's trying to convince me that their childhood is going to be ruined somehow. :lol

I will in a few days if you ping me. I'm on a road trip so can't get a photo.

Well, we threw out our couch this summer because of a terrible flea infestation from our cat, so I'm afraid of used furniture.

Fleas, bedbugs, pet smell, urine, smoke smell... Ugh.

We got bedbugs many years ago before they became all popular and stuff  :laugh: from an old couch we picked up.

So I hesitated to try for used furniture again, but several of my friends convinced to try CL again as we really needed a couch.  They got super nice leather couches for a pittance (7K new for 400-700$).  I stalked CL for a long time and finally found an old lady getting ready to move to FL from MA.  She had great taste, but it isn't a standard brown or black leather couch (it's a light green custom Natuzzi leather sectional).   She asked for $1200; I bargained her down to $1K.  Took it home the next day.  It's in pristine shape, no scrapes, no rips, and the seating is like new.  It fits like a glove in my very small living room area and helped me lighten up the room and draw in some color...

Maybe you want to try the same?

• Like 1