Menu

Put to sleep or not to have tooth pulled?

1GirlTwinBoys

My dh was very worried about getting a back tooth removed because he hates the dentist and was hoping they'd put him to sleep but didn't ask them too. He was glad he didn't ask. It was simple and super fast. He said the sensation and pressure were weird but it wasn't painful since they numbed him up well.

• Like 1

It really depends on the person. The meds they use for sedation make me and some of my family members all emotional and irrational and loopy feeling and we have personalities that HATE that feeling. So a quick needle to numb and yank is much preferred bc it's quicker and we don't feel as mentally vulnerable.

My dh and two of the kids though would appreciate being knocked out even for routine dental though even if it ultimately takes longer.

• Like 2

Depends on the person and how anesthesia affects them. And unfortunately, it also depends on if you can pay for it or not. I had seven teeth out at once despite being advised to schedule two separate surgeries because I was only gonna pay that $500ish bill for the anesthetist once.

Edited by LucyStoner
  • Like 1

I had a tooth removed, upper molar, with out being put to sleep. Was not painful, anymore than any other dental procedure, although there was ONE spot where he stuck me with novacine that sucked! But just for a second. What may make or break this is the WEIRD feeling of having it pulled out. It doesn't hurt, just feels like a lot of pressure. I didn't like it, and said a few prayers to calm myself. 

Depends on the person and how anesthesia affects them. And unfortunately, it also depends on if you can pay for it or not. I had seven teeth out at once despite being advised to schedule two separate surgeries because I was only gonna pay that $500ish bill for the anesthetist once.

I was making a distinction between "conscious sedation" and being completely put under, which it appears was your experience.  Just wanted to clarify.

They can just give you a Valium the night before and some liquid stuff before removing the tooth, and you sleep through the entire thing, but can wake up easily to be told to do things, like "Open your mouth wider".   I was told to "Take 2 deep breaths" because apparently, I wasn't breathing enough at one point and the alarm went off.  I did, and everything was fine. 

It was an odd experience, and I slept the rest of the day when I got home, but all went well. 

I just wanted to point this out.  I had the option of anesthesia, but it was a grand, and required a separate appointment to the anesthesiologist and additional tests, so I declined to go for full anesthesia.

Edited by TranquilMind

I've been offered Valium and similar for medical procedures. I can't go that route because the drug does not affect me the way it is apparently supposed to. It really depends on the person. When I tried that the first time, the procedure had to be cancelled altogether.

Most everything I can do with a local but 5 fully impacted teeth, including two right along my sinus and then two more extractions? Where do I send the check the for anesthesia?

Edited by LucyStoner
  • Like 1

I've been offered Valium and similar for medical procedures. I can't go that route because the drug does not affect me the way it is apparently supposed to. It really depends on the person. When I tried that the first time, the procedure had to be cancelled altogether.

Most everything I can do with a local but 5 fully impacted teeth, including two right along my sinus and then two more extractions? Where do I send the check the for anesthesia?

Just out of curiosity, how did it affect you?

I barely felt the valium, the night before.  But I slept, instead of think about the procedure, so I guess it fulfilled its task.

But laughing gas...whoa....I couldn't even drive after that stuff.  I felt like I was at Woodstock for the entire day into evening. They said it would wear off right away, as soon as he switched the nitrous oxide to oxygen.  Au contraire.  That stuff packed a wallop for me.  No one else I know seems to be much affected.

I barely felt the valium, the night before. But I slept, instead of think about the procedure, so I guess it fulfilled its task.

But laughing gas...whoa....I couldn't even drive after that stuff. I felt like I was at Woodstock for the entire day into evening. They said it would wear off right away, as soon as he switched the nitrous oxide to oxygen. Au contraire. That stuff packed a wallop for me. No one else I know seems to be much affected.

It's been years but I was anxious, loopy, quite awake and jumpy. Did nothing to help me sleep or relax. I have unusual reactions to several classes of drugs. While not super common, I know it's not unheard of either.

It's been years but I was anxious, loopy, quite awake and jumpy. Did nothing to help me sleep or relax. I have unusual reactions to several classes of drugs. While not super common, I know it's not unheard of either.

I didn't feel that one at all.  But I do have reactions to other ones.  Interesting how we are all very different.

I barely felt the valium, the night before.  But I slept, instead of think about the procedure, so I guess it fulfilled its task.

But laughing gas...whoa....I couldn't even drive after that stuff.  I felt like I was at Woodstock for the entire day into evening. They said it would wear off right away, as soon as he switched the nitrous oxide to oxygen.  Au contraire.  That stuff packed a wallop for me.  No one else I know seems to be much affected.

Oral sedatives don't work for me, either. A Valium made me giggle for a few minutes and then it totally stopped working (I felt just as anxious and aware as ever). I was given another oral sedative (Triazolam, I think) at the dentist and it did nothing for me. They said they gave me the same amount that would knock out a big burly man, and I just sat there reading a magazine. I left without letting them do the work. Laughing gas didn't help much, either. It just made it feel like everything was vibrating.

The wonderful dentist whom I see now uses IV sedation. Technically it's conscious sedation. I can apparently follow commands and I usually remember a few minutes of the few hours I am out. However, it really feels just exactly like falling asleep and waking up with everything done. I love, love, love it. I would recommend it to anyone with dental anxiety. It's totally worth the money, if you can afford it. 

Edited by MercyA

I'm going next week for an upper molar.  They didn't even offer the option of total sedation.  They said the entire appointment would be about 40 minutes.  Sounds like they're planning to just pop it right out, and then we all go on with our lives.  I'm happy for that mental picture; I"d have more anxiety if they started talking about more sedation/longer procedure.

We're having our roof replaced the same day.  It occurs to me that total sedation could be just the thing for dealing with THAT.

Edited by GailV

Oral sedatives don't work for me, either. A Valium made me giggle for a few minutes and then it totally stopped working (I felt just as anxious and aware as ever). I was given another oral sedative (Triazolam, I think) at the dentist and it did nothing for me. They said they gave me the same amount that would knock out a big burly man, and I just sat there reading a magazine. I left without letting them do the work. Laughing gas didn't help much, either. It just made it feel like everything was vibrating.

The wonderful dentist whom I see now uses IV sedation. Technically it's conscious sedation. I can apparently follow commands and I usually remember a few minutes of the few hours I am out. However, it really feels just exactly like falling asleep and waking up with everything done. I love, love, love it. I would recommend it to anyone with dental anxiety. It's totally worth the money, if you can afford it. 

You have an IV but you are conscious?  My guy does that same result but with liquids and there is no IV, just a pulse ox monitor.   I just drank something out of a little cup and I was out in a few minutes.  To use  IV sedatives, you have to have an anesthesiologist here.

Hmm, interesting. 

I had the choice several years back of either having the farthest back molar on the bottom left crowned or pulled. Pulling far cheaper, so dentist called the oral surgeon and sent me over same day (I was in pain). I opted to just get a local and get it pulled - being sent to la-la land for it would have meant scheduling it when I had a ride home, etc. Anyway, I felt nothing, the oral s. had to dig a bit and tug a lot, but I lived. Now, I would not recommend this for a scared person or young child. When in doubt - sedate.

I had my impacted wisdom teeth removed while I was concious.

They gave me, besides the freezing, morphine and valium.

I have a hard time with dental freezing, it often doesn't work well for me, and this was no exception.  But, I really did not care at all.  The drugs did their job very effectivly so far as that went.

I've never been knocked out, but I know it makes some people feel ill, which is why I didn't choose that.  I didn't have that problem as the result of the drugs they gave me.  ETA: though I have very clear memories of it all which is apparently not usual.

Edited by Bluegoat

You have an IV but you are conscious?  My guy does that same result but with liquids and there is no IV, just a pulse ox monitor.   I just drank something out of a little cup and I was out in a few minutes.  To use  IV sedatives, you have to have an anesthesiologist here.

Hmm, interesting. 

Yep, conscious enough to respond to and make requests during the appointment. It feels like going to sleep and staying asleep for the most part, though. 

My dentist is certified in IV sedation and is a member of the American Dental Society of Anesthesiology. Last I knew, there were only two dentists within easy driving distance of me who do IV sedation. 

I'd rather drink something than get poked, of course, but whatever it takes.  ;)

Chat to a sympathetic dentist about options. The receptionist actually gave me the info, but I perhaps should have confirmed with the dentist as none of the options were used in the end (fine for us, but if you want them, make sure the dentist knows).

Full anaesthetic sounds extreme for one tooth, but maybe the position of the tooth is an issue? I had that for 4 wisdom teeth. It needed to be in a small outpatient clinic, though, not at the dentist rooms.

Dd15 recently had 2 teeth removed. Our dentist only used injections. I declined and sought one who offered gas conscious sedation or whatever it's called - 'happy gas'. In addition they offered the 'whistle' type where the patient can self-meficate as needed. I was much happier with this set up.

As it was, they didn't offer dd any of this on the day. They could see she was coping easily. But it was there, and if she was anxious they would have used it.

I've had a wisdom tooth pulled while awake with a local anesthetic, and I've been put completely under and had three pulled. I much prefer to be put out. But I have some weird accessory nerves that make it so that I never get completely numb unless they shove the needle so far into my jaw the muscles spasm for days. So any conscious dental work is a traumatic experience for me.

I had a wisdom tooth pulled with just local. I was having a cavity filled on that side and the wisdom tooth--which had long ago erupted through the gum--needed to be removed for decay. The dentist offered to pull it since I was already numbed. There was enough tooth to grab with the pliers; she just yanked it right out and I didn't feel a thing. There was very little bleeding and I don't recall much pain after the numbness wore off. I'm a big chicken at the dentist due to some past bad experiences (with other dentists) but this particular procedure went well for me.