Menu

Your favorite dreamy coffee drink (made at home)

StaceyinLA

I've ordered my superautomatic espresso maker, but in the meantime I'm grinding beans and making coffee with my French press. Yesterday I realized I had a little battery powered frother wand from Ikea, so I made a little fresh whipped cream with my grass-fed heavy cream.

This morning I have a fresh brewed cup of coffee with a little sugar and cream topped with some fresh whipped cream and it is quite delightful.

What's your coffee splurge? Do you do it daily? I know this isn't good for me since I rarely have sugar and don't do much dairy at all, but I figure if it's my one splurge - gosh it's yummy!

• Like 2

That sounds so good!

Sometimes in the winter I make creamer with cream, cinnamon, vanilla, and a tiny bit of black pepper.  Sometimes I'll add cocoa.  This winter I'll add some turmeric 'cause I keep reading about how healthful that is.  Sometimes now I sprinkle in a little, along with my typical half-and-half or cream.  It adds a warm taste that I like but feels too wintry on a hot day. 

I tend to be more indulgent with iced coffee:  a little ice cream, and/or some chocolate syrup. 

Iced coffee the German way. Which means not diluted by watery ice:

Brew strong coffee, chill in fridge until cold

Serve in tall glass with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, and top with whipped cream (I leave off the whipped cream because I don't like it)

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 8

Serve in tall glass with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, and top with whipped cream (I leave off the whipped cream because I don't like it)

Wow! I think I'll have to try that with some decaf and have it after dinner!

A friend of mine does homemade frappucinos with chilled, strong coffee, ice cream, and a little cinnamon or cocoa - very yummy!!

ETA - not sure if you're a beer drinker, and I know this may sound disgusting to many, but if you like dark beer, get a mocha or coffee based stout or porter (Young's double chocolate stout is a good one, but I love the coffee ones too), get it really cold and drop in some vanilla ice cream. VERY delicious!

Edited by StaceyinLA
  • Like 3

The Nespresso pods are good for affogatos (shot of espresso over a scoop of ice cream or gelato), though I haven't had one of those in a while. Darn low carb.

My near-daily home afternoon "treat" is iced coffee with a splash of half and half or HWC. Wheeeee. I go crazy. ;)

Right now in this heat it's cold brew cafe bustlelo diluted, 1 part coffee 1 part whole milk, with sweetener of choice (I do splenda) and ice, topped with whipped cream. Often I add a sprinkle of cinnamon when I'm stirring it up too. 

Mine is pretty simple, but excellent.   I put a little bit of water (maybe 2 oz) in the bottom of a tall coffee cup (about the same as Vendi).   I put in a scoop of cocoa and stir (I started out with the packets, but I switched to the canister when I started to do this often).  This I top off with dark roast coffee that is more dilute than I'd normally like.   I don't add anything else.  No sugar or cream.   

When I worked in the city I had my favorite coffee carts. I hadn't made my own coffee in many years so I was panicked about the change :) I stumbled upon the lightest blends of Stumptown (caught a whiff as I was buying something else at a vendor) and life has been great since. I make it a million times a day, use the 2 dollar funnel for pour over. We buy raw milk from the farm, and i take a spoon coating of the cream and whirl it in. I grind it fresh each time, obv.

Now DH does not like the taste of coffee so for him I make "dirty chai", so loose chai tea steeped in warm milk and coffee.

1 heapingTbsp cocoa, 1 tsp sugar (or to taste), equal amounts of hot coffee & heated non dairy milk.

Soy froths nicely. 

for soy, Pacific Barista is the one usually used in cafes because it will work to make latte art with it. 

I just use Silk Unsweetened because I don't care about latte art that much LOL 

For a treat, either sub the soy completely with  some almond or cashew milk or just mix a bit of it in. I find the nut milks to be so super rich that I can only use a bit...

Well, I haven't had it in years, and it's a major treat, but when I was in Spain they would serve espresso over vanilla ice cream.  I loved that!

For me a big at home treat would be something like an Americano with a dash of heavy cream.  That only happens when I have a little extra cream left over from baking.  But, sometimes, whoops, I buy too much cream. And I can't let it go to waste, can I? 

Hot brew with pumpkin pie spice in filter.

Idk if it will work with the cold brew.

OMG!!!!! I sprinkle that on my coffee (well, on top of the canned whipped cream ontop of my coffee) all the time. Never thought to put it IN the filter! I use a reusable k-cup, bet that would work!

OMG!!!!! I sprinkle that on my coffee (well, on top of the canned whipped cream ontop of my coffee) all the time. Never thought to put it IN the filter! I use a reusable k-cup, bet that would work!

Yes it works :). Or just cinnamon. Or vanilla extract - I think. But for spices I tend to add a lot to get enough flavor for me so it's not overpowered by my vanilla artificial creamer. :). A benefit is no spice grit since it stays in the filter.

I have to say thanks to your blog I have the cold filter coffee maker. I may get another one because I love it so much!

Edited by displace
  • Like 1

Yes it works :). Or just cinnamon. Or vanilla extract - I think. But for spices I tend to add a lot to get enough flavor for me so it's not overpowered by my vanilla artificial creamer. :)

I have to say thanks to your blog I have the cold filter coffee maker. I may get another one because I love it so much!

That's awesome! I love it too, especially now that it is a million degrees outside! I have two as well, one for regular coffee and one for decaf. 

SaveSave

• Like 1

This summer I am all about the coffee soda: Cold brew coffee concentrate over ice, good splash of milk, a few drops of stevia, and fill rest of cup with seltzer.

I'll have to try it with seltzer! I've had a similar nitrogenated version, and an Ameri-cola (2 shots espresso over ice + bottled Mexican Coca Cola).

To make it extra nice, add a shot of kahlua! 

Lots of awesome ideas!! I'm definitely gonna have to limit myself to the one yummy cappucino daily since I am putting sugar AND whipping cream in it (plus I can't have more than one caffeinated beverage or I bounce off the walls). I figure if it's my one splurge daily, it should be okay (I don't normally do sugar).

I'll have to keep my cold press decaf on hand for my "healthier" coffee; I do homemade almond milk and a little honey (maybe a teaspoon and a half) in a quart, and it lasts two days.

I think it does work in cold brew too. I ran out of pumpkin pie spice so there was only a little but I can taste it a bit in the coffee.

I might try "blooming" the spices first in some hot water, then letting that cool before running through the filter with the coffee grounds and rest of the cool water. 

I like to taste my coffee so I like a simple latte with maybe a little sugar.  I don't care for the syrups for the most part.  I can put in chocolate, carmel, or vanilla on occasion at home, but I don't like pumpkin or cinnamon or some of the other flavors they offer.

Omg my coffee has to be FAST like lightning fast. So jealous ^^^^! Right now my coffee dream would be just being able to pull out, use, clean, & put away the French press!. With my life that's too many steps / too much time so I'm on a strict diet of 1) heat water 2) drop in instant coffee and milk !! Ugh!

Omg my coffee has to be FAST like lightning fast. So jealous ^^^^! Right now my coffee dream would be just being able to pull out, use, clean, & put away the French press!. With my life that's too many steps / too much time so I'm on a strict diet of 1) heat water 2) drop in instant coffee and milk !! Ugh!

Oh gracious, too much work.

I have a coffee area of my countertop.  The French Press is there.  I pick it up, dump grounds in the bottom, pour in hot water (I have an auto hot water thing in my sink) and do something else for 5 minute, come back and pour.  

If I am heading out the door, I don't even rinse or clean before I go.  I can do that when I get back.

It takes me a minute AT MOST to put my coffee on.

We have one of these (only ours was about $180 at most from Amazon)

http://www.supply.com/insinkerator-water-dispenser-h-viewc-ss-chrome/p663553

I asked for one for Mother's Day about 8 years ago and we now would have a hard time going without.  DH uses it for tea, I use it for coffee, kids make hot cocoa.  We use it for pre-boiled pasta so that it heats quicker on the stovetop, etc......

• Like 1

I make ordinary cappuccinos with good Italian coffee when I'm indulging. During the fall though I will make a very decadent pumpkin spice coffee drink that is better than anything I've ever had in a cafe, it even has real pumpkin in it. But I'm pretty plain Jane when it comes to my daily coffee, good coffee, drip or French press, and half and half. I don't generally like sweetened coffee, so no sugar or syrups, except in the pumpkin one.

I've made some pretty great coffee in my French press this week; so good that I've wondered if buying the superautomatic was just stupid. I guess I will know after I get it tomorrow. Of course if I don't keep the superautomatic, I'll have to go back and get another grinder, and that adds one more step. I just hope I love this thing!

Oh gracious, too much work.

I have a coffee area of my countertop. The French Press is there. I pick it up, dump grounds in the bottom, pour in hot water (I have an auto hot water thing in my sink) and do something else for 5 minute, come back and pour.

If I am heading out the door, I don't even rinse or clean before I go. I can do that when I get back.

It takes me a minute AT MOST to put my coffee on.

We have one of these (only ours was about $180 at most from Amazon)

http://www.supply.com/insinkerator-water-dispenser-h-viewc-ss-chrome/p663553

I asked for one for Mother's Day about 8 years ago and we now would have a hard time going without. DH uses it for tea, I use it for coffee, kids make hot cocoa. We use it for pre-boiled pasta so that it heats quicker on the stovetop, etc......

wow that's pretty cool! :)