Menu

Just another clothes-shopping rant

marbel

I need an outfit for a wedding later this summer.  I just don't have anything nice.   Today I spent a few hours in the very large mall in our area and discovered:

1.  Dresses do not have sleeves anymore.  None at all.

2. a.  There are cute tops out there, mostly prints.

b.  There are cute skirts out there, also mostly prints.

c.  There are no combinations that go together.

All I got out of this day was a headache. 

I am hard to fit, so mailorder is very unreliable.  (Apple shape in a world in which pears are in, ugh.)

This is real but also tongue-in-cheek.  Lots of problems bigger than a lack of wedding guest wear. 

:-)

• Like 9

I need an outfit for a wedding later this summer.  I just don't have anything nice.   Today I spent a few hours in the very large mall in our area and discovered:

I am hard to fit, so mailorder is very unreliable.  (Apple shape in a world in which pears are in, ugh.)

This is real but also tongue-in-cheek.  Lots of problems bigger than a lack of wedding guest wear. 

I needed a wedding dress for a wedding back in October and was finding the same problems.

I ended up getting a sleeveless dress from Lane Bryant (I was so surprised!) with a "Shrug" sweater to go on top that was surprisingly comfortable and I wore it ALL DAY at the weddiing without once worrying about anything or it being so uncomfortable I had to change.

27910005011_3cbf9e4428_n.jpg  27910003661_e362f034d7_n.jpg

• Like 7

I hate sleeveless or cap sleeves. The bottoms of the cap just sit there and roll up a bit in the underarm. Ew. I want my underarms well covered. Well covered. I like sleeves to hit halfway between my shoulder and elbows.

I would go with a dress with a shrug. I would try to find a shrug smaller than Vonfirmaths, if you can find one. They make shrugs that fall just under the shoulder blades.

Or mabye they don't anymore. I got my shrug at a thrift store, so maybe it was old.

• Like 3

Eshakti... I will have to check that out. 

Cardigans/shrugs... it's so hot!    Also, don't anyone take this personally, but my 17-year-old and I were looking at some short cardigans/shrugs and she said "shrugs are a style from 2000 that old ladies picked up on."  OK, she was being a little facetious.  But she agreed that a short sweater like that would not be flattering on me.  

Nervous about mailorder though, particularly something custom-made.  :-)

ETA: I wish I had time to sew.  I can sew a simple dress!  Maybe I should pull out my machine tomorrow and see if it still works...

Edited by marbel
  • Like 2

Cardigans/shrugs... it's so hot! Also, don't anyone take this personally, but my 17-year-old and I were looking at some short cardigans/shrugs and she said "shrugs are a style from 2000 that old ladies picked up on." OK, she was being a little facetious. But she agreed that a short sweater like that would not be flattering on me.

Nervous about mailorder though, particularly something custom-made. :-)

ETA: I wish I had time to sew. I can sew a simple dress! Maybe I should pull out my machine tomorrow and see if it still works...

Your daughter is probably right about the shrug being out of date. Up until 35 years old I could keep up with current fashions. Now that I'm 43 I feel hopelessly out of the loop. I just don't know what's current. I see something that I think looks awesome and then realize I'm watching something like Gilmore Girls and the style is 15 years old. :(. I have a feeling that mauve, elastic-waisted, polyester pants are in my near future.

• Like 7

I just had almost this exact thing happen a couple of weeks ago - i looked at the mall for two hours for a dress with sleeves, in my size, that I didn't hate.  I came out with nothing.  I still don't have a new dress :glare:

ETA - okay, so maybe I was a little pickier than just looking for something I didn't hate.  I did find one that I didn't hate, but for $70, I actually wanted to really like the dress, and I didn't.

Edited by emba56
  • Like 2

Your daughter is probably right about the shrug being out of date. Up until 35 years old I could keep up with current fashions. Now that I'm 43 I feel hopelessly out of the loop. I just don't know what's current. I see something that I think looks awesome and then realize I'm watching something like Gilmore Girls and the style is 15 years old. :(. I have a feeling that mauve, elastic-waisted, polyester pants are in my near future.

I will be 43 in September! And I have never much cared what was stylish. Just what was comfortable and I liked. That "sweater". Was very light--the wedding was in Arizona, outside all day!

• Like 1

I don't like sleeveless dresses either.  I also don't like covering a sleeveless dress with something -- unless it is a sheath dress and blazer.  It always looks like you're trying too hard to cover up and no matter what cover-up you end up choosing, it never really looks like it goes right.  JMO. 

I've had best luck finding dresses at consignment shops.  Thrift is hit and miss around here, but consignment shops usually have a better curated selection.  I'm handy enough with a sewing machine, too, so I will alter and re-fit things if I find something really great that needs some help to be fabulous. 

• Like 2

I live in sleeveless anything and everything, I hate the feeling of anything on my arms, but when I need to cover up I wear a denim jacket, it usually goes very well with most of my dresses. It would depend on the formality of the wedding, but if it's not super formal it may work.

• Like 1

I strongly dislike sleeveless as well, but it is so hard to find something with sleeves. I wanted a dress for my recent graduation so I got a spray tan to help me feel more comfortable with my arms (they are much bigger than I would like). It helped so much! I had it done at a salon and the color was a "blue based" and not orange at all. Many people commented on my tan and they were surprised it wasn't real.

I got my dress at Dress Barn and I love it. I got a matching, very small sweater/shrug that looked like it was designed to go with the dress (it wasn't), but didn't end up wearing it much. I have also gotten very cute and formal separates from there as well, since I don't usually wear dresses. 

• Like 1

Yes, I'm not into shopping either. It's so hard to walk the line between somewhat fashionable and frumpy. I have found a few things at Macy's and Chico's.

There's an independent store several states away that I hit when I'm there on business that ALWAYS has something I like. I walk in, tell them what I want, and they help me figure it out. In May when I was there I got a coordinated skirt, top, and jewelry for $80 that will work for informal weddings and business casual events. I was so thrilled.

• Like 1

I also have had better luck, in general, at thrift and consignment shops.  The range of styles is typically larger than what I see at the mall.

I've genrally had good luck at The Bay but that probably isn't much help in the US - Nordstrums is maybe a similar place though more high-end.  Anne klein is one designer whose things seem to be reliable, though my shape is different.

But I've also done pretty well going to places that might not immediatly come to mind - small shops - my favorite skirts come from a shop that specializes in environmentally concious things - not just clothes.  My sister has some great dresses from MEC (though all sleeveless, unfortunatly.)

But malls seem to be store after store with the same things.

• Like 2

Trunk Club!  Just tell your stylist what you are looking for and a box will magically appear at your door.  No styling fee, free shipping, free returns, and the prices are the same as in the store.  They will even mail you items that are on sale.  You can ask for a box of just blue satin short sleeve dresses, or complete outfits including shoes and jewelry.  My favorite thing to request is bras and panties. I know that sounds weird, but seriously, it is a luxury to try on intimate items without worrying about kids tearing up the store while I'm in the dressing room.    I LOVE trunk club.  

• Like 1

Buy the dress with a cute shrug.  That's what I do, and I am apple shaped, as well.  Dresses and skirts are just easier to fit, and the prints I see are butt ugly these days.

Try the short shrug on before you dismiss it - I was pleasantly surprised.

Cardigans/shrugs... it's so hot!    Also, don't anyone take this personally, but my 17-year-old and I were looking at some short cardigans/shrugs and she said "shrugs are a style from 2000 that old ladies picked up on."  OK, she was being a little facetious.  But she agreed that a short sweater like that would not be flattering on me.  

Nervous about mailorder though, particularly something custom-made.  :-)

ETA: I wish I had time to sew.  I can sew a simple dress!  Maybe I should pull out my machine tomorrow and see if it still works...

• Like 1

I totally hear you...I am an inverted triangle with a long torso and there is nothing out there for my body shape. My age is also difficult-I am 34 and it seems like all the clothes are made for with someone much older or much younger. I pretty much just wear exercise clothes all the time. I don't know what I would do if I was invited to a wedding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

This is exactly me except I'm only 34.

• Like 1

I ended up buying a dress online.  (after trying the same vendor at Nordstrom).

dsil's mother also ended up ordering a dress.  she was surprised how much things have changed since her oldest son got married.