Menu

Large family and what to do with all the shoes and dirty boots

amyinva

I have 5 children living at home, plus my husband and me. It is only by the grace of God that the dog is shoeless. At this point I can even deal pretty well with the clean shoes, although I would love ideas for them too. My youngest 4 kids are sharing a room right now with one closet (no coat closet or laundry room). Did I mention we need to add on? 

The big problem is that we have outdoor chores (including several pigs), which means 7 pair of muddy, pig-poopy rubber boots, plus a couple pair of muddy work boots, plus dirty flip flops from kids walking down to the river to play. No mud room or garage, probably for a couple of years. We do have a large outdoor shed, some distance from the house.

I was thinking that this type of thing is nice-looking and would be easy to build:

http://www.aplaceforeverything.co.uk/home-storage/wellie-walking-boot-storage

but wouldn't bugs, snakes, rain, etc get in them?

Anyway, I would LOVE ideas. We have a deck where something small could be built. Or a small area on the driveway where the hose hooks up where something could go. Help? :-)

Could something similar be built that would store the boots upside down? Like you could slip them into some slot or something?

ETA: I know what I was thinking of--you know those metal things you can slip toilet paper or paper towels over? Couldn't you do that--or even wooden dowels--and slip the boots upside down over them?

Edited by Jaybee
  • Like 2

Well the only pigs on my property live inside :lol: but we're Asian so we're big on the leave your shoes at the door thing!

For muddy shoes and boots you need something that hangs the shoes upside down. Think of a "graveyard of broomsticks" kind of thing where the ends of a dowel are screwed into a bottom shelf (like the one the shoes are resting on in the picture you linked). And then you place the shoes upside down on the other end of the dowel. The shoes will be soles up. No rain, no snakes, and shouldn't be any spiders; we've never had any, especially if the shoes are used everyday - or multiple times each day!

• Like 3

Could something similar be built that would store the boots upside down? Like you could slip them into some slot or something?

ETA: I know what I was thinking of--you know those metal things you can slip toilet paper or paper towels over? Couldn't you do that--or even wooden dowels--and slip the boots upside down over them?

Yes! Jaybee describes this better than me.

Think of those sewing things where you store the spools of thread.  That for shoes.

You can nail it to the siding or a fence (the shoes will jut out at an angle) or you leave it as a rack on the ground (the shoes will be upright and upside down).

Edited by Tita Gidge
  • Like 1

If outside, spiders will still crawl up upside down boots!  LOL.  I know someone who stored her boots in their garage and got bitten, so . . .   I am paranoid!

I would be, too! I read your post and STILL have shivers -   :willy_nilly: - not just any spider, but a Black Widow?

Nothanks!

We have shoe cabinets in the garage (our "not everyday" shoes and specialty shoes, like cleats or boots). I sprung for the extra few bucks to buy doors for the cabinets.

I say "our" shoes but really I do live in fear of critters making their way into my shoes. So I store my shoes in plastic boxes, which are lined with scented paper or sachets. Those are housed in my laundry room cabinets. Double, triple barrier! But I don't care if my kids' shoes get critters in them. Plus their shoes stink to high heaven. So they get to be in the vented shoe cabinet in the garage LOL.

My kids keep hearing about these selfless mothers and wonder where in their past lives their karma went wrong. :lol:

• Like 2

What if you get something like this:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/castlecreek-compact-walk-in-greenhouse?a=1886403&pm2d=CSE-SPG-15-PLA&utm_medium=PLA&utm_source=Google&utm_campaign=CI&gclid=Cj0KEQjw1v66BRCV-6rh6s-Biu8BEiQAelpui9bJw8Xp7X4UaORQRJmhSaDbsHRe8UKAaHd0Vfq9P8waAoMw8P8HAQ

then they can just walk in and change their shoes like they're Mr Rogers or something and come out wearing shoes that are acceptable for the house.

• Like 1

I will have to think about the greenhouse- it's intriguing! But the dowel idea is also really good.

So my other,less urgent question: in the house, currently my kids are allowed to have 1 pair of shoes on a mat by the front door. The rest are in the closet upstairs. Still, 7 pair of shoes lined up by the front door is not great. What do you guys do for your family's everyday shoes?

I will have to think about the greenhouse- it's intriguing! But the dowel idea is also really good.

So my other,less urgent question: in the house, currently my kids are allowed to have 1 pair of shoes on a mat by the front door. The rest are in the closet upstairs. Still, 7 pair of shoes lined up by the front door is not great. What do you guys do for your family's everyday shoes?

Oh, well we're Asian so we just pile 'em around the door LOL.

I have friends who keep them lined neatly at the door, but ... we are of a different (messier) breed. Navigating our entry is like training grounds for clearing landmines. The rack that I spent $30 on to keep them all neat is apparently just for looks. You might have better luck in your house with that, though!

• Like 2

I suppose I would beg dh to built a little inside cupboard that matches (as best as possible) the inside of the area where the shoes are by the door. Perhaps like a bench where the top opens? Open it up and drop shoes in. May take a few days to teach the little ones but eventually it may just happen.

We have only two people living here and one shoeless dog and there are 3-4 pairs of shoes, sandals, boots, etc. parked by the door. I should think about doing something about our situation as well.

If outside, spiders will still crawl up upside down boots! LOL. I know someone who stored her boots in their garage and got bitten, so . . . I am paranoid!

Yep. I felt something soft in my boot one day and stupidly put my hand down to check. For some reason I wasn't worried about being bitten on the hand ?!

And came out with a huntsman attached to my finger

• Like 1

Honestly, what's wrong with having 7 pairs of shoes by the door?  I think it is just a cultural, they don't do that on tv kind of thing.  You sound like you are out in the country, anyway.  You won't have 7 pairs of shoes there forever.  The kids will grow up faster than you know!  This is just that season of your life!  I would just contain them on a mat of some sort, so you are aren't tripping over them in other places.  When you have fancy company over,you can move the shoes to the bedroom or something.

Boots stay on the porch.  Put a box of disposable scrub caps out there so people can cover the opening.

BTW, spiders can still get into your shoes (and other things) when they are in the house.  I had a friend miscarry when bitten by a black widow - in her glove.

I'm useless for suggestions but very sympathetic.  We have, for the first time ever, a mudroom.

It makes me want to live here forever and ever.  It is always a mess, always a disaster, but the rest of the house ISN'T.  'Nuff said.

All I can think of is some kind of lean to or spot in the garage where they do the Mr. Rogers thing.  My dad is a pig farmer.  It'd be a very cold day, kwim, before my mom let him store his shoes/boots in the house or even walk in with them on.

• Like 1

For inside, we have a short metal (black iron) bookshelf that we use as a shoe rack right inside the door. Because it isn't a regular shelf, any dirt can fall through to the floor, making it easier to keep clean. Because it is open, it is more likely to be used. Reminders do have to be issued occasionally. Only one pair per person allowed on the shelf.

We're a family of seven, too. No pigs, though. Just dogs. 

I discourage my children from wearing shoes in the house, too. In the backyard my kids wear generic crocs. Outdoors by the back porch door, we have a bin like this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0044V3UFS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As for the flip flops and sneakers and such, we have a basket we keep near the front door. Every week or so, the basket overflows and a kid gets tasked with hauling it upstairs and sorting shoes to the appropriate room. 

Edited by Stunt Academy
  • Like 1

We have a 3 foot wide, 6 foot tall bookcase by our backdoor. We have a few baskets for gloves, hats, and scarves, and the rest of the space holds all our shoes. Each person is assigned shelves. The shelves are adjustable, so I set them about 8-9 inches apart, except the bottom shelf, where I left more room for boots.

• Like 1

For dry shoes by the door I have a large basket. I gave up long ago any dreams that anyone would put their shoes away in their closet, so the basket by the door became 'away'. 🙄

No loose shoes though... My friend tripped over a loose shoe in her living room, fell into the coffee table, broke 5 ribs and punctured a lung, and was in the hospital over a month.

We have 4 kids and no crazy dirty shoes, but plenty of regular shoes. I used to have a big basket by the front door, but that drove me crazy. So now, the shoes live in one of those cabinets of 12x12 cubbies. It has six cubbies, so each person has a spot. And if I find shoes lying about, they go into detention for a week. (or can be bought back)

Sent from my XT1094 using Tapatalk

We have a large rubbermaid type box by our back door where all shoes (excepting muddy, mucky, chicken poopy ones) go.  We don't normally use our front door.  Irrigation boots, muddy flip flops, gardening clogs stay outside by the backdoor in a box.  Dh keeps his irrigation boots in the garage; he has these big clips on the wall and hangs his boots on those.  Those shoes are NOT allowed in my house.  We always knock the shoes against the side of the house in case there's a bug inside.  I hadn't given much thought to black widows.  Now I think I'll be extra careful as we do have those around outside sometimes. If the shoes are outside, I don't know how to insure they never get bugs in them   Mainly, I just try to keep shoes (outside of Sunday shoes) contained in boxes by the door.

In my dream home, I have a mud room/bathroom type place accessible to the outside so dirty clothes/shoes could be left there, shook out, hosed off, before bringing them to the utility room and people wouldn't have to walk through the kitchen, dining room, down the hallway to get to the bathroom.  

I have a metal rack thingy on the covered back patio they can leave shoes on if they need to. And a very bristly shoes mat at all entrances to give shoes a good scraping before entering the house.

Beyond that, I've mostly given up.

Dh though is determined to battle the sock nemesis to their bitter deaths.