Menu

What are cute things your 7-9 yos say?

PeterPan

This should be fun!  My ds has apraxia and hasn't picked up on common, age-appropriate expressions for emotions.  For instance, what do your kids say when they wake up in the morning and feel really grouchy and tired?  Or just anything, like expressions when they play or when they lose or expressions with peers...  Any cute expressions you share I can teach him!  :)

Mainly dd, a generally sunny tempered person, has been wandering about grumbling about political candidates for our electorate and the next one over. She seems very invested in the outcome of the election in the next door electorate. One particular candidate is definitely not welcome in our house ever, doesn't deserve to win, and dd will never be cooking her lunch. (My brother is running in our electorate, so politics is of a higher than usual focus and she's been learning some of the major politicians from watching a show called Kitchen Cabinet, where a journo invites herself to politicians houses for lunch.)

You probably don't want your ds to practice grumbling though.  :laugh:

My DS7 will claim at any injustice 'That's no fair!' I've tried to get him to change it at least to 'That's NOT fair!', or preferably to not use the expression at all! :). He also uses the word 'actually' a lot, which I find pretty funny.

ETA: My 7-yr old just ran through the house and said another one of his cute things. He uses 'slickery' instead of 'slippery'. As in 'Watch out...it's slickery right there!', referring to where he spilled water. :)

Edited by mmasc
  • Like 3

Last year when DS was 8, out of the blue he came up to me and said:

Leave me here and you'll receive me next year with a plan to destroy your baking pan.

...then he turned around and walked away.

My 8 year old has kind of outgrown the cute expressions but the way he pronounces onion and restaurant crack me up. I can only conclude he says them a certain way because it's how he reads them, but I'm not certain.

When my 6 year old is hugged tight or cuddles with us in the chair when there isn't much room she says, "it's squeezy."

• Like 3

Recently, 8 yo DS was on the couch with 19 yo DD. He leaned over onto her to wrestle and then jumped back saying, "Whew, your armpits are winning against your deodorant!"

I heard him in his room playing with action figures. He yelled, "Fire at will!" Then a second later, in a different voice, "Who's Will?"

:laughtears:

• Like 17

Recently, 8 yo DS was on the couch with 19 yo DD. He leaned over onto her to wrestle and then jumped back saying, "Whew, your armpits are winning against your deodorant!"

I heard him in his room playing with action figures. He yelled, "Fire at will!" Then a second later, in a different voice, "Who's Will?"

LOL DS7 says all sorts of strange things while he plays - nothing that I can recall right now though.

When he's upset that a plan gets changed he shouts "You're just lying!" I try to help him identify his emotions (disappointment) and I give him the words to express it "DS, you are disappointed we can't _______. Say 'I am disappointed that we can't ___________" 

When he's excited about something, he will usually start jumping around a lot, or start talking about what he's going to do when we do X.

Most of his emotional expression comes out in the form of action, really. I can tell when he's grumpy, upset, excited, scared, and even restless or hungry based on how he is acting/what he is doing. Not usually because he says something.

Edited by Dust
  • Like 1

Lately, "Mom, I think you're being 'nean' by making us do X, Y, Z!"  - mean but actually nice because the instruction or command is meant to help or correct in the long run. 

When my kids are arguing (and I'm in a good enough mood to keep calm and think the levity will help), I sing chorus to the song "Is Not, Is Too" by Bill Harley to them: 

• Like 1

Hmm - thankfully DS doesn't usually wake up on the wrong side of the bed. He did sleep in way later than normal recently and I had to wake him up for French class. He told me he had not gotten enough sleep and would I please just leave him in the bed to rot? :-) 

His favorite cute expression - "whole me". It started a few years ago when he came in from playing outside and I asked him to go stick his feet in the tub and wash them. He looked at me, confused, and asked if "whole me" needed to get in or just his feet. The expression has stuck, so now he'll occasionally ask "should whole me be under the covers?" or something like that. It's cute, but probably won't last much longer.

• Like 2

Well, my DS (the comedian) is a little over your age limit - turned 10 in February, but one of the funniest things he said lately when DH alluded to sex (he said bow chicka bow wow) within DS's earshot was a very disgusted, yet droll:

"Ugh! I'm trying to have a happy childhood here!"

I laughed so hard I could barely breathe. LOL Now he throws it out for different situations, such as seeing me dance (he has always hated it when I dance) making something for supper he doesn't care for, or when DH and I kiss in front of him. I still giggle every time because he waits long enough between uses that it's funny all over again. :D

I'm not sure you want to add it to your son's lexicon, but it's good for a giggle when used sparingly, yet appropriately for the situation.

Edited by fraidycat
  • Like 10

My 8 yr old says jap-uh-le-no for jalapeño :)

The other day we were on a nature walk and joked about leeches in the water. "Isn't it hard to imagine leeches mating? How would they hold on to each other?"

He used to use the word sadly a lot. "Sadly, it's supposed to rain." "Sadly, the game wasn't that good."

What drives me CRAZY now but will probably be cute in the duture is his habit of asking why about the most inane things, and then reflexively following it up with really.

"What's that sound?"

"Someone revving their engine."

"Why?"

"I don't know, maybe they think it's cool."

"Really?"

It might be because we tease him by giving him ridiculous answers to his obvious questions, so he just never trusts us.

"Is that ice cream?"

"No, it's frozen monkey snot."

"Really?"

?????

• Like 1

Mainly dd, a generally sunny tempered person, has been wandering about grumbling about political candidates for our electorate and the next one over. She seems very invested in the outcome of the election in the next door electorate. One particular candidate is definitely not welcome in our house ever, doesn't deserve to win, and dd will never be cooking her lunch. (My brother is running in our electorate, so politics is of a higher than usual focus and she's been learning some of the major politicians from watching a show called Kitchen Cabinet, where a journo invites herself to politicians houses for lunch.)

You probably don't want your ds to practice grumbling though.  :laugh:

Oh that is SO funny!!  You're right, he never grumbles!  He might internally feel that way, but it's not like something he has figured out how to do.  I need to figure out what that sounds like!  So sort of low mumbling?  Hilarious, we must try that.

• Like 1

That is SO funny!!!

• Like 2

Well, my DS (the comedian) is a little over your age limit - turned 10 in February, but one of the funniest things he said lately when DH alluded to sex (he said bow chicka bow wow) within DS's earshot was a very disgusted, yet droll:

"Ugh! I'm trying to have a happy childhood here!"

That's hysterical!!!!

• Like 1

Dd has also taken to saying "I have to go do something important" when she needs the toilet. 

Most of the time, I don't need to know...

Well these are ALL so funny, ladies!!!  Thank you for sharing!  Now I have a whole list of things to try on him. 

Well feel free to keep going.  How fun!   :)

Edited by OhElizabeth
  • Like 1

This should be fun!  My ds has apraxia and hasn't picked up on common, age-appropriate expressions for emotions.  For instance, what do your kids say when they wake up in the morning and feel really grouchy and tired?  Or just anything, like expressions when they play or when they lose or expressions with peers...  Any cute expressions you share I can teach him!   :)

Well, there are some old favorites like getting up on the wrong side of the bed. If you are upset about how something goes down, you can say "that stinks." If you lose a game, you can say, "that's okay, maybe I'll win next time--you win some, you lose some."

You might check out some library books--there are great picture books about common expressions, what they mean, and how they originated.

http://www.smart-words.org/quotes-sayings/idioms-meaning.html  This is kind of a fun list to start.

I would start by using precise words with regular meanings to convey emotions before worrying about idioms. Connecting the emotions you have to real words is very important, and then you can add the idioms. If a child can't identify that they are grumpy, then they might connect the idiom "I got up on the wrong side of the bed" with something totally different. A child who is very literal in how they view things might really think their is a wrong and a right side. (I know a couple of people like this, and while the results can be hilarious, it can also be problematic.) Some kids also REALLY latch onto phrases, and they you might wish you hadn't taught them the phrase.

It's far more important for a child to be able to articulate they are grumpy than to have a catch phrase for it.

Figuring out facial expressions of others and to go with emotion words is also important. There are shades of meaning for most emotions, and some kids have trouble with the nuances. It's either all good or all bad, whether it's a feeling, a facial expression, body language, or tone of voice. Idioms can sometimes help convey shades of meaning, but not until the child understands those shades of meaning. 

I can't think of anything specific but with my 9yo it's all superlatives.

It's awesome

They're horrible

I'm starving

I'm freezing

I'm boiling/roasting

Annoying sibling is "such a pest".

We haven't done that "in ages"

We HAVE to buy such and such or go to such and such a place

I love or I hate

Bodily function humour is big here too unfortunately.

• Like 1

I said "dog gone it" and my 7 year old thought I said, "oh dog vomit" and kept repeating it at appropriate intervals (id said it when baby spilled food, and as she took over feeding baby she started saying it too). So precious! In my life, dog vomit is (or was,till we had to put down our dog) a regular occurrence so I guess that's why it made sense to her.

• Like 2

My favorite is "deckany" for any decks on a house - combination deck and balcony. I hate to correct her because she would never say it again but she will probably be annoyed when she learns that it is incorrect.

Aww, that is like what my daughter would do.

My little one said, "yeah, at our pool there is a kiddie pool but there aren't any kitties in it, just babies and toddlers."

• Like 2

My son won't repeat the word sexy. My kids have heard the references referring to cuss words by letter names like f word, b word, etc but they don't know what they all are. Some of the words they've heard and started putting with the letter references but the "s word" threw them. They somehow come up with sexy as the "s word" and s#it... is the "sh word." LOL 

My husband said something about me being sexy where ds heard it and he says "well yeah! You're SUPPOSE to thinks she's ... you know." I hadn't heard what dh said and when I asked ds what he meant he didn't want to repeat sexy so he explained "You know mom... the s word... you know... s e x y. Don't ask me again I'm not suppose to say that."  :lol:

• Like 1

When I ask the kids to clean something (or give them bad news about something they wanted, like cookies), they invariably say, "What?"

They can always understand me when I ask them if they want to go to the park or tell them we *do* have cookies, so I doubt it is really a hearing problem.

DS8, who is averse to work like me, always seems to develop a physical malady when it is time to vacuum.  My favorite was when he couldn't vacuum because his legs were "too heavy."  He also likes to tell DD4,

"You don't know a *fing* of what I'm talking about."

[*thing*]

My son won't repeat the word sexy. My kids have heard the references referring to cuss words by letter names like f word, b word, etc but they don't know what they all are. Some of the words they've heard and started putting with the letter references but the "s word" threw them. They somehow come up with sexy as the "s word" and s#it... is the "sh word." LOL 

My husband said something about me being sexy where ds heard it and he says "well yeah! You're SUPPOSE to thinks she's ... you know." I hadn't heard what dh said and when I asked ds what he meant he didn't want to repeat sexy so he explained "You know mom... the s word... you know... s e x y. Don't ask me again I'm not suppose to say that."  :lol:

This reminded me of a funny about my 8yods.  My eldest son and his wife had their first anniversary a few weeks ago and my youngest two were helping me pick out a card.  My ds finds one and being a fairly new reader carefully sounds out very loudly, "To . . . . My . . . Sexy . . . . Wife!"  Then, very loudly repeats it and says,"Hey Mom, we should get this one for ______".  What does that mean?  Sexy?  To My Sexy Wife?"  All of this was said in his boisterous little boy volume.  I was dying but explained that would be a card that a man would get for his wife so we wouldn't get that one for his brother and s-i-l.  I told him he could get that one for his wife when he was married.

All the way through the store he kept muttering, softly, but loudly enough that I'm sure others could hear him,  repeating the lines on the card like he was trying to memorize them for when he had a wife .

• Like 5

This reminded me of a funny about my 8yods.  My eldest son and his wife had their first anniversary a few weeks ago and my youngest two were helping me pick out a card.  My ds finds one and being a fairly new reader carefully sounds out very loudly, "To . . . . My . . . Sexy . . . . Wife!"  Then, very loudly repeats it and says,"Hey Mom, we should get this one for ______".  What does that mean?  Sexy?  To My Sexy Wife?"  All of this was said in his boisterous little boy volume.  I was dying but explained that would be a card that a man would get for his wife so we wouldn't get that one for his brother and s-i-l.  I told him he could get that one for his wife when he was married.

All the way through the store he kept muttering, softly, but loudly enough that I'm sure others could hear him,  repeating the lines on the card like he was trying to memorize them for when he had a wife .

:lol:   

My nine-year-old uses the word "transportate", as in "how are we going to transportate all of these groceries home - we're out of room in the van!"

My almost-seven-year old has decided on a career: doggie daycare worker at PetSmart.  We consider this a good choice, because whenever someone asked her what she wanted to be when she grew up, she has always said, "a squirrel."

• Like 1