Menu

If mom wants a cupcake

kewb

I wanted a cupcake.  I didn't want to make a dozen cupcakes or the children and I would eat them all.  So I quartered my recipe and made 4 delicious cupcakes with a sugar glaze.  One for everyone.  I could have just made that cake in a mug thing but I thought I would be nice.

Since I bake so infrequently the children were so happy to get a cupcake.  Followed by disappointment that I only made one for everyone in the family.  You would think I have denied them the very thing they need for success in life from the caterwauling I have been hearing.

What makes this so exasperating is that I do not have toddlers.  I have an 18 year old and a 15 year old.  Which is apparently the same as having toddlers.  Next time I crave a cupcake I will just eat the chocolate chips in the freezer.

• Like 23

Next time you'll make 4 and eat them all yourself. Or at least that's what I would do! No one said you had to share. 😜

And that would frustrate me. And I have toddlers so I can relate. Apparently I can know they will never grow out of this. Sigh.

• Like 9

I did mention that they were free to use the kitchen.  It seems baked goods taste better when someone else does all the work and the cleanup.  They retreated to their rooms properly chastised for being a couple of ingrates.

Edited by kewb
  • Like 6

I did mention that they were free to use the kitchen.  It seems baked goods taste better when someone else does all the work and the cleanup.  They retreated to their rooms properly chastised for being a couple of ingrates.

EVERYTHING tastes better when someone else does all the work.  :)

So...you're going to make us cupcakes, right, kewb?

• Like 3

Look, if you give a kid a cupcake, they're gonna want another. And chances are, if you give them that - they're going to want a cupcake to go with it.

Ha!! You just made me crack up in the middle of the orthodontist waiting room. :)

Next time you'll make 4 and eat them all yourself. Or at least that's what I would do! No one said you had to share. 😜

And that would frustrate me. And I have toddlers so I can relate. Apparently I can know they will never grow out of this. Sigh.

Oh yeah it only gets worse.  LOL

DD15 is baking cupcakes right now!!!!!  

The down-side is that she is a chocolate fiend whereas DS20 and I are bleh on chocolate.  However, we are only going to say nice things about these wonderful cupcakes so that next time we can lobby in advance for lemon.

:drool5:  :willy_nilly:  :001_wub:

Edited by AK_Mom4
  • Like 2

I have no idea what I will do when I have teens (our oldest is only 5), but I know what my mom would have done.

She would have not only reminded me that not only is the kitchen available for use, but that I would be using it to make dinner and dessert for the family that night or the next night.

I have no doubt I wouldn't have complained anymore. (I wouldn't have complained in the first place. Desserts were rare - very rare- in our house. Complaining about any that did occur wouldn't have ever crossed my mind.)

• Like 1

I am on "team kids." You made about the same mess and had the same cleanup with four as you would a whole recipe. Why not just make the whole batch. The rest of us want 2 or 3 cupcakes!

It was definitely less clean up then when I make a full batch. Truly, I was being selfish for wanting to keep everyone to a serving versus eating enough for 12 people in one sitting.

I suspect next time I will just go out and buy myself a cupcake. There are many fine bakeries by me.

• Like 2

Yes, buy. That happens to be what I did today. (blush)

However, an alternative would be to make your regular recipe, give everyone two, then secretly freeze the rest individually for future "Momma wants a cupcake" days. Then discretely thaw one on those days of need.

• Like 10

Yes, buy. That happens to be what I did today. (blush)

However, an alternative would be to make your regular recipe, give everyone two, then secretly freeze the rest individually for future "Momma wants a cupcake" days. Then discretely thaw one on those days of need.

This is a genius idea. I don't know why that never occurred to me.  Right up there with how I take the Mallowmars out of the box and wrap them in tinfoil and stick them in the back of the freezer.  No one ever wants to open the tin foil. 

• Like 6

When I had kids that age, I also had a toddler.

All of my friends who had toddlers the same age (but no teens) wondered where I got all the patience and zen for the toddler. I never told them that he seemed so mellow and laid back compared to the teens. ;)

Edited by Guest
  • Like 4

I wanted a cupcake. I didn't want to make a dozen cupcakes or the children and I would eat them all. So I quartered my recipe and made 4 delicious cupcakes with a sugar glaze. One for everyone. I could have just made that cake in a mug thing but I thought I would be nice.

Since I bake so infrequently the children were so happy to get a cupcake. Followed by disappointment that I only made one for everyone in the family. You would think I have denied them the very thing they need for success in life from the caterwauling I have been hearing.

What makes this so exasperating is that I do not have toddlers. I have an 18 year old and a 15 year old. Which is apparently the same as having toddlers. Next time I crave a cupcake I will just eat the chocolate chips in the freezer.

Is it bad that I am cracking up laughing here...

• Like 1

I wanted a cupcake.  I didn't want to make a dozen cupcakes or the children and I would eat them all.  So I quartered my recipe and made 4 delicious cupcakes with a sugar glaze.  One for everyone.  I could have just made that cake in a mug thing but I thought I would be nice.

Since I bake so infrequently the children were so happy to get a cupcake.  Followed by disappointment that I only made one for everyone in the family.  You would think I have denied them the very thing they need for success in life from the caterwauling I have been hearing.

What makes this so exasperating is that I do not have toddlers.  I have an 18 year old and a 15 year old.  Which is apparently the same as having toddlers.  Next time I crave a cupcake I will just eat the chocolate chips in the freezer.

I feel for you.

:(

Just like toddlers.  Except they cost WAY more, and have the ability to leave the house without you.

That part seems okay to me!  Also the part where, in theory, teens can stay home alone?   That sounds good.  I'm trying to imagine sitting down to a meal with my husband and no one narrating an entire episode of River Monsters or making jokes about their butts. 

I'm just going to pretend that the cost of teens will leave me with some money to eat out.....  Yep.  It's gonna happen.

Wendy's is still eating out. 

• Like 4

That part seems okay to me!  Also the part where, in theory, teens can stay home alone?   That sounds good.  I'm trying to imagine sitting down to a meal with my husband and no one narrating an entire episode of River Monsters or making jokes about their butts. 

I'm just going to pretend that the cost of teens will leave me with some money to eat out.....  Yep.  It's gonna happen.

Lol!  It has its perks, but as I sat here tonight and waited for my teen twins to return home from their first night time drive alone, the drawbacks were rearing their head.  They made it home safely though, and I'm back to thinking it is a perk.

• Like 1

That part seems okay to me! Also the part where, in theory, teens can stay home alone? That sounds good. I'm trying to imagine sitting down to a meal with my husband and no one narrating an entire episode of River Monsters or making jokes about their butts.

I'm just going to pretend that the cost of teens will leave me with some money to eat out..... Yep. It's gonna happen.

Is my ds hanging out at your house?

• Like 1

This is a genius idea. I don't know why that never occurred to me. Right up there with how I take the Mallowmars out of the box and wrap them in tinfoil and stick them in the back of the freezer. No one ever wants to open the tin foil.

Nooooo.... Don't do it.

You have no idea how good frozen cupcakes are! My mum used to make butterfly cakes and freeze them and wonder why they all disappeared.

Nooooo.... Don't do it.

You have no idea how good frozen cupcakes are! My mum used to make butterfly cakes and freeze them and wonder why they all disappeared.

It is true. I have no idea. Your warning is making me ponder.

Is a butterfly cake a cake that is shaped like a butterfly or something else?

Now I am giving myself nostalgia over the entemann's pound cake my mother always had in the freezer in case company dropped by. Quick to thaw and jazzed up with an accompaniment of strawberry jam. Death to the child that touched the company cake.