Menu

Teen boys and photographing

Scarlett

Yes it is normal, and they'll also think they need to look cool and not smile.  (But we always insisted our ds smile.)

ETA:  To be fair, my dd's really didn't like having their pictures taken at that age either.

Edited by J-rap
  • Like 2

I would have resisted too.  I did have to do "senior pictures" at 16 though.  Other than that I didn't willingly allow anyone to take my photo the whole time I was a teen and young adult.

I don't do photo shoots with my kids.  I force them to let me take photos at certain times, like shortly before Christmas.  Sometimes I don't end up with any useable photos.

Normal.

My DS refused to have his picture taken for several years. Just recently I was allowed to take his pic.

I would not insist that a teen have his picture taken. He may feel self conscious about his appearance or have other reasons, and I would respect that

• Like 2

Normal.

DS22's teen school photos are hilarious because he's trying so hard to look cool and flippant. I would post them but he would never forgive me. :zombie:

On second thought, I should frame them and put them up in the hallway. Wouldn't that be special? :)

Edited by trulycrabby
  • Like 2

I told him I would not put them on social media without permission. And that our photographer friend would edit out any bad shots. But that I insist on having a nice photo of him. If he doesn't cooperate I don't know what I will do. The bribery idea might work

Although he asked me how much it would cost him for me to not make him do it.

• Like 1

Unfortunately, totally natural. Sigh...

Dd was SOOOOOO excited about her senior photos. And then there were the boys....

We managed to survive. We were able to get some shots of eldest with his guitar, outdoors in the autumn leaves and he managed to look good. WHEW, and then we went to the lake and got some decent beach ones mostly because we promised kayaking and ice cream upon cooperation.

Middle ds begrudgingly managed two photo shoots, and thankfully decided it wasn't so bad because we took him out with the horse he trained with, our dog whom he loves, and then finally at the ski lodge where we snowboards. I think all my photos are too large to attach here, otherwise I would share one as he said he doesn't mind. (His photo is on the web anyway because the rocket team is used heavily to advertise for 4-H and TARC.)

I have no idea what we'll do with the youngest. He's an engineering and astronomy geek. He's got a 10 inch telescope but pitch black night sky does not make for great senior pictures.

• Like 1

Maybe just take some photos yourself and keep it casual? I can't imagine any teens wanting to sit for a formal shoot. Or adults either for that matter.

Casual photos capture the person better anyway, IMO.

It will be casual. A family friend.

dudeling acts like he thinks a camera steals his soul.   for dds reception, I bribed him to be in at least one picture. he really really wanted the bribe - but he still struggled to peak out from behind 1ds.

and other times. . . . . no problem.  here, there's no mirror, I can take a pic so you can see what the hat looks like.  even smiled.  I had to lecture him up one side and down the other before taking him for a new passport photo.  no one likes their picture, just cooperate.  no problem. . .

go figure.

I've done photoshoots for teens. Photography is my hobby and I do a pretty good job. I've done a number of senior pictures for my friend's sons. They don't really get into it a lot, but they're ok once they're outside taking pictures.

I didn't insist on lots of smiles. Some smile, some don't. One boy who never, ever smiles in real life, smiled a ton in his pictures. His mom was so tickled, "I haven't seen that smile in so long!"

Another boy wasn't a smiler, so I let him be serious. The trick is to make it so they're not so serious that they look goofy. A nice trick for that, is to tell the person to slightly open their mouth and slightly pull their muscles into a smile. A close lipped, downward lip looks sulky. A straight across, or slightly upward lip and an open mouth just looks like you're interested in what's going on around you. Sometimes people can't pull off a full smile and that looks goofy, so the open mouth is nice.

I tried to start all photoshoots with pictures NOT of people's faces. (These are for outdoor photoshoots that will take a couple of hours and I plan on taking dozens of pictures.). So, I tell the person to bring a prop, like a ball or skateboard. Then, I start by taking pictures of the ball or skateboard by the person's feet. Only their feet are in the shot. Or, I could start with a "walking away from the camera" shot of the back of someone. It gets them relaxed a tiny bit before they have to worry about looking at me. For one girl, we went out with horses and started with shots of her with her forehead pressed against the horse's forehead. She didn't have to worry about looking at me.

I also did one with her, where she was sitting in a big armchair in the middle of a field with books piled around her. She didn't have to look at me at all, just sit here in the chair reading a book. I did that to give her a break from staring at the camera, smiling, which was stressful to her.

See if your friend has ideas like that so that your son can start out not looking at the camera at all.

Also, ask the teen how comfortable they are with mom standing there watching. For some, they want Mom there and for others they don't. For some, having Mom there watching makes them stiff for the camera.

Your friend probably knows these things, but just in case not, you could talk to her about these ideas.

It's very, very normal for teen boys not to want to. have their pictures taken. They usually give in for senior pictures because everyone they know is having them. I tell them, "Let's get some shots you like (serious face or whatever) and get a few to make mom happy where you smile." So far they all give a sheepish grin and realize, "Yeah, I need to give mom the smile shot," and come through for me.

ETA: None of this helps get him there in the first place, does it? But once he's there, the above are ways to make it as un-miserable as possible.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 2

Unfortunately, totally natural. Sigh...

Dd was SOOOOOO excited about her senior photos. And then there were the boys....

We managed to survive. We were able to get some shots of eldest with his guitar, outdoors in the autumn leaves and he managed to look good. WHEW, and then we went to the lake and got some decent beach ones mostly because we promised kayaking and ice cream upon cooperation.

Middle ds begrudgingly managed two photo shoots, and thankfully decided it wasn't so bad because we took him out with the horse he trained with, our dog whom he loves, and then finally at the ski lodge where we snowboards. I think all my photos are too large to attach here, otherwise I would share one as he said he doesn't mind. (His photo is on the web anyway because the rocket team is used heavily to advertise for 4-H and TARC.)

I have no idea what we'll do with the youngest. He's an engineering and astronomy geek. He's got a 10 inch telescope but pitch black night sky does not make for great senior pictures.

Take the telescope picture at the end of the day as the sun is setting as if he's setting it up to use it as night falls. It won't be pitch dark, but will still give the sense of a young astronomer heading out with his telescope to view the skies as soon as he's done with his pesky photoshoot.

If your photographer is clever, then there are ways to pull off a shot of a person looking through a telescope at night. The person would need the right lighting equipment and probably be good at editing, but it could be done...

I've done photoshoots for teens. Photography is my hobby and I do a pretty good job. I've done a number of senior pictures for my friend's sons. They don't really get into it a lot, but they're ok once they're outside taking pictures.

I didn't insist on lots of smiles. Some smile, some don't. One boy who never, ever smiles in real life, smiled a ton in his pictures. His mom was so tickled, "I haven't seen that smile in so long!"

Another boy wasn't a smiler, so I let him be serious. The trick is to make it so they're not so serious that they look goofy. A nice trick for that, is to tell the person to slightly open their mouth and slightly pull their muscles into a smile. A close lipped, downward lip looks sulky. A straight across, or slightly upward lip and an open mouth just looks like you're interested in what's going on around you. Sometimes people can't pull off a full smile and that looks goofy, so the open mouth is nice.

I tried to start all photoshoots with pictures NOT of people's faces. (These are for outdoor photoshoots that will take a couple of hours and I plan on taking dozens of pictures.). So, I tell the person to bring a prop, like a ball or skateboard. Then, I start by taking pictures of the ball or skateboard by the person's feet. Only their feet are in the shot. Or, I could start with a "walking away from the camera" shot of the back of someone. It gets them relaxed a tiny bit before they have to worry about looking at me. For one girl, we went out with horses and started with shots of her with her forehead pressed against the horse's forehead. She didn't have to worry about looking at me.

I also did one with her, where she was sitting in a big armchair in the middle of a field with books piled around her. She didn't have to look at me at all, just sit here in the chair reading a book. I did that to give her a break from staring at the camera, smiling, which was stressful to her.

See if your friend has ideas like that so that your son can start out not looking at the camera at all.

Also, ask the teen how comfortable they are with mom standing there watching. For some, they want Mom there and for others they don't. For some, having Mom there watching makes them stiff for the camera.

Your friend probably knows these things, but just in case not, you could talk to her about these ideas.

It's very, very normal for teen boys not to want to. have their pictures taken. They usually give in for senior pictures because everyone they know is having them. I tell them, "Let's get some shots you like (serious face or whatever) and get a few to make mom happy where you smile." So far they all give a sheepish grin and realize, "Yeah, I need to give mom the smile shot," and come through for me.

ETA: None of this helps get him there in the first place, does it? But once he's there, the above are ways to make it as un-miserable as possible.

Thanks! Very helpful. She probably does know this stuff.....but I will pass it on anyway.