Menu

How much reading do you require from a beginning reader?

I want my kiddo to enjoy reading - so I want him to read for fun. But he's also reading books for his "school work" - currently books about animals and then writing a half of a notebook page. Probably takes him 10-15ish minutes to read for school, and 15-20ish minutes to write.

Should I be requiring extra reading? On his own, he generally doesn't actually read, though he loves to look at books and be read to. I've tried to find books that he really likes so that he'd WANT to read recreationally -- but it's just not happening (yet). I'm torn between requiring "free reading" so he learns to enjoy it, and yet not wanting to overdo it and turn him off to reading.

I required my youngest to do leisure reading daily when he could read kids magazines or chapter books comfortably. Before that there was not much interesting to him stuff that he could read independently.

I do let him walk around or sprawl on the carpet or on the bed while reading.

I want my kiddo to enjoy reading - so I want him to read for fun. But he's also reading books for his "school work" - currently books about animals and then writing a half of a notebook page. Probably takes him 10-15ish minutes to read for school, and 15-20ish minutes to write.

Should I be requiring extra reading?

On his own, he generally doesn't actually read, though he loves to look at books and be read to. I've tried to find books that he really likes so that he'd WANT to read recreationally -- but it's just not happening (yet). I'm torn between requiring "free reading" so he learns to enjoy it, and yet not wanting to overdo it and turn him off to reading.

No. No. No.

I do not believe that the way to help children develop a love of reading is to require them to do so. If you *require* it, it is no longer *free.*

In my home, I continued reading aloud to dds even after they were reading on their own, because I wanted them to experience good books they might not have chosen on their own. We went to the library weekly, and they could check out as many books as they wanted or none at all (all books had to be returned the next week whether they had been read or not--the only way I could avoid overdue fines, lol). I think having ample reading material and the freedom to choose to read or not is more conducive to children learning to love to read.

• Like 5

My emerging reader is required to read for about 15 minutes from a book that is appropriately challenging. That is at some point during the school day. Before bed she does another 15 minutes from a book of her choice, usually a little below her instructional level. She is not yet reading independently for fun. For my older, once he was independent, I switched to 30 minutes of free choice reading each day during school. Then I had him do about 10 minutes out loud to me from a more complex book. In the evening he had a be-in-bed time, but was allowed to read for 30 minutes more I f he wanted to. That child reads very well, way above grade level, and loves to read.

My beginning reader reads to me daily from a challenging book. She also joins in on silent reading time, picking anything she wants. Several times a week she reads a picture book to her sisters during read aloud time.

I would have him read aloud to you before I added more silent reading time. If I am understanding you correctly that his only reading is to himself.

I agree with others, maybe have a time during the day when everyone, including you, sits and has some time for pleasure silent reading.  They can pick whatever book interests them.  As for the term "free reading", I, personally, would not have appreciated my mom telling me my free reading time was "required".  That wouldn't seem very "free".  If you are going to require some time to read other than with the whole family (whoever is in the house at that required reading time), don't call it "free".  Maybe just tell her it is reading time, keep it short,  and let her select a book.

You might also tell the child they have some free time, but dictate that they can either read, lay down quietly or play quietly in their room for a bit.  Set a timer.  Leave lots of books around at a bit below the child's reading level.  Maybe start one together then tell her you need to go finish some chores but she is welcome to read to you while you work, or she is welcome to read the book on her own during her free time.  Also, consider audio books at a bit above reading level, especially book series.  If the child gets hooked on the first book in a series as an audio book, then maybe read the second book together, popcorn style, then she might be inspired to read the third book on her own. 

FWIW, I loved reading as a kid.  Why?  Because at first Mom read to me from the time I was an infant, then she read with me and when my brother came along we were all together, reading and cuddling and laughing at the stories.  It was a bonding time, not an assignment.  I associated reading with being loved and hearing great stories and seeing funny pictures and being with my family.  As I got older, and I gained proficiency in reading and could read more advanced and interesting stories, I was more than happy to read on my own but I still associated reading with that warm, cozy, sometimes funny feeling I got as a young child being with my mom.  Reading for school was reading for school.  Reading for pleasure happened because there were lots of books lying around that inspired me to want to pick up and look through them and because my mom read to and with me a lot and because I saw my parents read a LOT, for all kinds of reasons.  They weren't planted in front of their TV or their computer, they were reading.  TV time was limited.  Kids weren't always available to play with.  I had no access to a computer as a kid.  Reading was a logical choice to fill my time and I was provided ample material to choose from.

Best wishes...

• Like 1

My 6 year old is a beginning reader. Outside of school I don't require reading. However, we do listen to audiobooks in the car and suggest looking at books at certain times of day. I still read to her at least twice a day. To encourage her to read on her own, I found a punch card online and told her she could earn a treat when it was complete. She gets one punch per book. I do offer to read with her a couple times a day.

She is a very beginner though, she just in the past week has started attempting to read signs on her own without prompting.

I did/do not require any outside reading but I did/do provide access to books. We visit the library and get level appropriate books and often make trips to purchase books as well. The purchased books go into their rooms and the library books stay in the car. We live fairly rural and most places are a 30min drive away so there is lots of idle time to flip through books. They also have fun little booklights that go on their nightstands so there is a novelty to be "allowed" to stay up late and read with the booklight.

Thanks, all! The "free" part just meant they get to choose what to read. He has been reading a little for fun, but for the most part, he'd rather be playing. :) And when he does read for "fun", it's rarely something that's difficult (e.g., he likes to look at picture books), and so I was just worried that maybe I needed to be doing more in that arena. I'll back off. He'll be excited. :) He's been complaining a little lately that the things I was asking him to read were interesting but hard, and it just made me wonder if I was pushing too much. Seems like the answer is yes, so I'll cut him a break! I just love to read and it's been baffling me why he doesn't want to very often!

• Like 3

When my dd learned to read, we switched nap time to quiet time. She was told to either rest or read. When she was finally spending that time enjoying whatever books she chose the we slowly added in reading for school work. I would much rather my kids read for enjoyment than for school at this point. So most of our school reading I read aloud. She is in second grade. I'm gradually transferring school reading to her, but only as she keeps reading for enjoyment during rest time.

We do not require extra reading.  We do have a daily quiet time though, which is conducive to reading, and the kids also get to stay up a half hour longer (an hour longer for my oldest) if they want to read before bed.  I'm sneaky like that.  ;)   

• Like 3

Thanks, all! The "free" part just meant they get to choose what to read. He has been reading a little for fun, but for the most part, he'd rather be playing. :) And when he does read for "fun", it's rarely something that's difficult (e.g., he likes to look at picture books), and so I was just worried that maybe I needed to be doing more in that arena. I'll back off. He'll be excited. :) He's been complaining a little lately that the things I was asking him to read were interesting but hard, and it just made me wonder if I was pushing too much. Seems like the answer is yes, so I'll cut him a break! I just love to read and it's been baffling me why he doesn't want to very often!

I think backing off is a wise idea. I'll just throw in here that my mom is a big reader, and I was a "book a day" reader until at least high school, and my younger brother? Never touched a book that wasn't assigned, despite being surrounded by people who always had their noses in books. Today? He has completed a PhD/JD, and I get book recommendations from him at least 2-3 times a year. There's always hope!

• Like 1

I have found with all of mine just having books around that they can pick up and enjoy when and how they choose to works here.  Just looking at the pictures or bringing the book to me to read is fine.  I always felt if I pushed when they really didn't want to, I would be making it something they dreaded.  

Haven't read the other replies, so sorry if I'm repeating.

I'm not sure how old your kid is, but I would not push the reading issues if he otherwise is enjoying books.  My ds had a really high "academic" reading level before he actually began reading for pleasure.  My dd on the other hand, started reading for pleasure as soon as she had the very basics down.  

Just keep reading good books.  The reason why my son first picked up a book to read on his own was because I read him The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe.  He had so many questions about the magic and the wardrobe and how it all worked that I told him I would keep reading the series in order (the "right order", place Magician's Nephew second-to-last) but if he wanted to find out the secrets, he could read Magician's Nephew on his own.  He did, and that was his first "free reading" book.  DD, who started free reading at a much earlier age, was free reading books like Frog and Toad first.  Either way, they have generally had similar reading levels at similar ages.  

All that to say, that if he is CAPABLE of reading, the reading for pleasure will happen naturally.  

I'll reiterate what a pp was getting at and say that choosing not to read for fun doesn't worry me, because I'm married to a person that never did and only occasiinally does now, and he's wicked smaht.

But I disagree with the idea that if you just keep reading to them and keep lots of books around, they'll eventually start reading by choice. Negative, affirmed!

That said, it can only help to keep reading aloud and to keep lots of forms around. Words don't live and die in traditional stories! There are comics/graphic novels, computer programming manuals, field guides, poetry, etcetcetc...

Additionally, I still require my new, not-so-into-reading reader to read to me for twenty minutes a day. Cause I'm the boss :-) He started with five minutes a day as soon as he could, which is about 2 beginning bob books. And worked up from there. In like (seriously) one minute incriments, over the course of about 8 months.

I did that very specifically too.... started out saying "read two bobs" not letting him in on the approximate time requirement. Then later calling it five minutes. Then having him read four bobs and still calling it five minutes. So on...

I think that as long as reading is an effort - mentally tiring - most kids won't read a lot just for fun.  There is a point where there is enough fluency that it is worthwhile for them.  I suspect it isn't the same for everyone.

I've always gone with a period of daily reading that will not fatigue them too much.  I keep an eye on my younger readers to try and keep a handle on what that will be.

I think kids pick up recreational reading based on a lot of different factors - finding something that clicks for them, technical facility, and also things like what their other interests are.  Some may not need much reading as they have other things to do.

Some people seem to stay like that permanently.  I had a roommate like that - he could read just fine but it was utilitarian, for leisure he would usually go and tinker in a workshop or go climbing.

We do not require extra reading.  We do have a daily quiet time though, which is conducive to reading, and the kids also get to stay up a half hour longer (an hour longer for my oldest) if they want to read before bed.  I'm sneaky like that.  ;)   

This is what we do - if he wants to read, he can stay up for an extra half hour reading in bed. I used to love reading in bed as a kid (still do!) and I had to sneak it and read by the light of the street lamps outside. I figure staying up a bit later to read is a good thing. :-)

• Like 1

I just love to read and it's been baffling me why he doesn't want to very often!

We're a family of readers. However, all of my kids (except one) have struggled to read. When it becomes more automatic, he might pick up the stuff he likes to read it more. Boys sometimes pick completely opposite books to read than some of the rest of us (girls). My ds#1 would rather go after a book on rocks or robots than something fiction. The ones he wants to read are much harder than what I would pick out for him. I agree with previous posters to have him read for school & then let him be!

I think that as long as reading is an effort - mentally tiring - most kids won't read a lot just for fun.  There is a point where there is enough fluency that it is worthwhile for them.  I suspect it isn't the same for everyone.

:iagree:

For a beginner, I would never require it. Learning to read is tough and tiring for a child. Some kids are going to naturally like to read and some aren't. I've read and read aloud to my kids over the years, but only one of the four who can actually read enjoy reading. And that's my middle girl. She just learned to read this year and now she goes to the library and gets those beginning books on her own and sits and reads. My oldest son only reads those stupid graphic novels, my oldest daughter on occasion reads Nancy Drew and other series books like that, but... that's it. I used to be a voracious reader as a kid. I think it's an innate thing. A parent can encourage it, but that's about it.

I stepping stone them up.

Learning to read (in my experience btwn 5-6)- read one book aloud to me (or an older sib) a day.

Newly fluent (in my experience 6-7)- read 15, then 20, then 30 minutes a day, book of your choice.

Fully fluent (7-8)- 20 minutes of reading from MY selection (mix of non fiction, historical fiction, classics) and 20 minutes from their choice. Building up eventually to an hour of each.

We also allow kids to stay up an hour later if reading silently. This is a huge motivator, lol.

Edited by Coco_Clark
  • Like 1

Almost none.

I keep our bookshelves well stocked, and every one of my fluent readers has eventually found their niche.

My 5yo practices when he wants to.

We had a horrible experience with the 3rd of our 5 kids and forced reading. (Well, attempted forced reading.)  It did a lot of damage that has taken a lot of time to come anywhere close to repairing.