Menu

Are you all hunkered down in and around Washington DC?

Liz CA

I was looking at that out my bedroom window this morning. It was magnificent! The shadows of large trees spread over all that deep snow - Magnificent! I considered getting my camera, but I don't know that I could have capture it as beautifully.

Ditto.  I don't think a camera stood a chance of catching how gorgeous it was.  One needed the actual setting I think - and a large viewing area.

• Like 2

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I honestly can't tell how much we got at our house. The closest weather station is about 10 miles away at a very different altitude. The Lehigh Valley is claiming 31.7" and Stroudsburg is claiming 19".  I'm sure our amount is somewhere between the two.

My first shoveling at 7am yesterday was about 8" on our large front deck, but I could still see part of our driveway that the wind had cleared.  But it sure is covered now, lol.

• Like 3

It's hard to measure it. I measured a few spots before the sun went down, around 5:45pm. There were a few readings in the 26-27" area; these were in spots that seemed the least affected by wind. It also continued to snow for another 2-3 hours after that. One place in the front of the house, my yardstick is burried to the very top. It's a funny picture. :)

I just went out and took some sunny morning pictures. It's soooooo pretty!

• Like 4

It's hard to measure it. I measured a few spots before the sun went down, around 5:45pm. There were a few readings in the 26-27" area; these were in spots that seemed the least affected by wind. It also continued to snow for another 2-3 hours after that. One place in the front of the house, my yardstick is burried to the very top. It's a funny picture. :)

I just went out and took some sunny morning pictures. It's soooooo pretty!

It is tough to measure with as much as the wind moved things.  Our lowest readings can come in around 10 inches, our highest are over the yardstick.  Official reports in places around us are all around 27 - 30 inches, so I'm going with that range for us as well.  It works in some areas that "seem" right wind-wise.

The family photographer just got up and is fixing his breakfast in the kitchen.  After that he'll head out and get some pristine pics (more or less pristine, some neighbors are starting to plow roads and the sun is melting snow off our windows, etc).

Then we'll get our turkey going.

Then we'll head out and shovel and get chores done.

Hot chocolate afterward will taste good!

We're both amused at the cat tracks in the snow.  Apparently our outdoor-loving cat tried to make it to the barn.  He gave up 2/3rds of the way to our driveway and just circled back to wait for me to let him back in the house.   :lol:

• Like 2

The official total at the zoo was 22.4 so I'm thinking we were really close to that number, though there are other official NW totals around 25 or 26.

Bracing myself to get out there and shovel it. Ds - totally of his own volition! - took the shovel out to the back this morning. But it's more the thought that counts. He's never had to do more than a few inches and he's clearly just sort of moving it around, not really moving it all out of the way in any sort of path.

ETA: Oh, and the ballet still hasn't called off the afternoon and evening rehearsal. We're all anxiously awaiting the answer. It's got to be called off, right? Come on, Kennedy Center, don't let them into the rehearsal rooms!

Edited by Farrar
  • Like 5

BWI's official recording was 29.2 inches, the most in recorded history. We are very close to BWI and that seems about right for here too. My kids have barely seen snow before, and since we just moved here from Hawaii, it's been quite the exciting thing. Now that it's not windy, we are going to head out to make snowmen and play for a bit. We have a great hill on public land right behind our house, so we need to fashion some kind of sled. Anyone know if boogie boards would work?

• Like 4

Smooth plastic/metal or cardboard works best for sleds.  Have fun!

My guys used to go out sledding... we have a hill that goes down onto our pond and they'd love to sled down the hill and end up on the ice scooting out across the pond for a lengthy finish.

I miss those days... but not enough to do the same myself.

• Like 3

Here are my morning pictures, if anyone is interested in checking it out. :)

My chickens are clearly thinking I'm a nut job. 

The one with the chicken poking her head out was so good! The scenery at your place is gorgeous and I'm sure the photos don't quite capture how stunning it is. It's impossible to capture the feeling that accompanies a view like that. 

• Like 1

Smooth plastic/metal or cardboard works best for sleds.  Have fun!

My guys used to go out sledding... we have a hill that goes down onto our pond and they'd love to sled down the hill and end up on the ice scooting out across the pond for a lengthy finish.

I miss those days... but not enough to do the same myself.

Creekland, I just wanted to say I'm enjoying your updates and pics, since my dd's away at school not too far from you. I'm so glad I told her on Thursday to get food, water, and any emergency supplies for her dorm room.

Our roads have been plowed but are still thickly snow covered. I think we got over 20 inches. I've been cozy inside since the storm started, offering up thanks to the neighbor who moved to Florida and left us his snow blower.

Edited by Tiramisu
  • Like 2

Here are my morning pictures, if anyone is interested in checking it out. :)

My chickens are clearly thinking I'm a nut job. 

Loved your pics Quill!  Your place looks a bit like ours - not your house, but the snow covering everything.

Hubby is putting our pics on his computer right now.  I've got to get that turkey going if we're ever going to eat, but then I'll snag his computer and add some from around here.

• Like 3

Pics from Creekland's - the morning after.  It's gorgeous out!

Our house from the road:

154_7_1.jpg

The ponies - yes, they prefer OUT as they could be in if they wanted to be:

153_6_1.jpg

Pony pasture - hill down to pond.  Yes, there's a one acre pond at the bottom of the hill going all the way to the fence in the background.  This is where my guys would be sledding in their younger years (sigh).

151_5_1.jpg

The road heading to our neighbor's place.

149_4_1.jpg

Head past the old shed (that we don't use) to get to our chicken coop (small building you can see a corner of).  Can't wait to try to get to them this morning... ;)

147_3_1.jpg

Our shoveling task later.  This is where it's been measuring between 27 - 30 inches deep.

145_2_1.jpg

I guess we ought to clear out the mailbox area too.  This is the road heading out toward more neighbors and civilization - not the plowed part in the upper middle - that's another neighbor's entrance.  The wind swirls in the snow are spectacular looking...

144_1_1.jpg

I love where we live, but we don't expect civilization to come help us out (quickly)!  Solitude is priceless - as are great neighbors.  Most of us are a clan back here... ;)  (NOT meaning cult, etc, just we really get along well and assist each other when/if needed.)

• Like 10

Creekland, I love your pictures, and I LOVE that four square style house! When was it built? My sister had a house like that. It was so charming. (Which is not to suggest she didn't endlessly complain about it. ;))

Our mailbox is toast, DH reports. I have not been out to the end of the driveway, but it empties onto the main road (97) and snowplows always take out the box in big snows.

• Like 2

Rehearsal canceled! Not to give any credit to ABT though - they're still clearly nuts. The Kennedy Center decided to be closed for the whole day. Whew!

I shoveled out the front. Awaiting the city to tell me where else I have to shovel for my volunteer commitment. Sigh...

• Like 18

Rehearsal canceled! Not to give any credit to ABT though - they're still clearly nuts. The Kennedy Center decided to be closed for the whole day. Whew!

I shoveled out the front. Awaiting the city to tell me where else I have to shovel for my volunteer commitment. Sigh...

So glad the Kennedy Center is closed so you don't have to venture out. I remember when my older sister was in Don Q at the Kennedy Center with Nureyev. I got to meet him. Totally off topic. (She did get to miss her week of school, though, because it didn't snow that week, oh so many years ago.)

Have they re-opened the Metro yet? Probably not, I suppose.

In Columbia, a snowplow got stuck in front of my friend's house. Her husband helped push it back out. So their street is plowed up to her house and no further. The snowplow had to back all the way out of their neighborhood.

• Like 1

So glad the Kennedy Center is closed so you don't have to venture out. I remember when my older sister was in Don Q at the Kennedy Center with Nureyev. I got to meet him. Totally off topic. (She did get to miss her week of school, though, because it didn't snow that week, oh so many years ago.)

Have they re-opened the Metro yet? Probably not, I suppose.

In Columbia, a snowplow got stuck in front of my friend's house. Her husband helped push it back out. So their street is plowed up to her house and no further. The snowplow had to back all the way out of their neighborhood.

Ds was in a Royal Ballet Don Q last summer. All he had to do for that one was walk across the stage though. This time he gets to dance and share a stage with Misty Copeland, which is pretty exciting.

No word on Metro yet. Hopefully tomorrow it'll be mostly reopened. Hopefully.

That's hilarious about the snowplow. Wow.

• Like 4

Ds was in a Royal Ballet Don Q last summer. All he had to do for that one was walk across the stage though. This time he gets to dance and share a stage with Misty Copeland, which is pretty exciting.

No word on Metro yet. Hopefully tomorrow it'll be mostly reopened. Hopefully.

That's hilarious about the snowplow. Wow.

That so very exciting!!

• Like 1

Creekland, I love your pictures, and I LOVE that four square style house! When was it built? My sister had a house like that. It was so charming. (Which is not to suggest she didn't endlessly complain about it. ;))

Our mailbox is toast, DH reports. I have not been out to the end of the driveway, but it empties onto the main road (97) and snowplows always take out the box in big snows.

It was built in the 30s IF I remember correctly.  It's definitely an older house with all of its pros (nice hardwood I'm told is chestnut) and cons (no real closet space, older wiring, one very small bathroom).  We love the land and location.  We didn't bother to look twice at the house when we made our offer.  We knew we could live with whatever was in the house...  I'm pretty sure the oven is original or close to it!  It's certainly not modern, but it still works, so we haven't replaced it.

Hubby marks the road around our place so the plows don't take our yard and things out.  It gets tricky the way it curves around.  Our farm, itself, is one of the original deeded ones from William Penn so the road was built (later) with horses and buggies in mind - not cars.  It winds from house to house.  The original house (cabin?) was down near the pond - which at that time was a small creek.  That stone/brick foundation is still there.  I love being in that area and contemplating some of the original owners and I like living close to, but off, the beaten path.

• Like 4

I really should feel guilty that I just went out and took some pics of hubby shoveling, shouldn't I...   :coolgleamA:

I've been in working on making turkey stuffing (since we opted to listen to a radio sermon this morning due to church being cancelled).

He'll have to put the pics on the computer and I can post them later... 

Ok, hubby came in and got the pics on his computer.  The stuffed turkey is in and roasting (ready around 6pm if anyone feels they can make it back our road :lol: ).  I'm posting the pics, then will go out and we'll tackle that driveway together (and get to the chickens - they're likely wondering why the farmer is late and if this is the apocalypse...).

World's Greatest Guy:

158_2_1.jpg

The last yardstick reading (I think!).  This goes from ground to top in an area that didn't appear to be windblown or drifted, so should be as accurate as we can get:

156_3_1.jpg

• Like 5

Final totals for my area are in excess of 30 inches. That doesn't even begin to cover the drifted areas.  The snow is over the window sills on many of my first floor windows. DH had to be out plowing yesterday and is gone again today, which sucks. I don't like snow... :glare:

Our neighborhood ended up with about 30" (28-33, depending on who is measuring it and where, lol). We live on a long state dead end road, but they rarely plow, so neighbors plowed some and then other neighbors (led by my dh and son) had 4 snow blowers doing the last 1/4 mile of our dead end road this morning. (We live at the end, of course, lol.) They did that because ds was desperate to get to robotics, and also we have to deliver dinner for robotics tonight. That robotics team is hard core, lol.

Our county and state still have states of emergency in place. We are still discouraged from driving, but it's not prohibited. AWD or 4WD vehicles can make it on most main roads and secondary ones that have been plowed, but obviously, no 2wd vehicles are going to be reliable in this sort of situation, and roads that haven't yet been plowed (or snowblowed) are impassable. 

Most folks are hunkering down for a couple more days. Only robotics crazies or folks with jobs that require attendance are getting out today. Tomorrow, I suspect most private businesses will be back to work, just slow since many staff and clients still will be snowed in. Schools and the university and courts, etc, are closed again tomorrow . . .

• Like 2

still haven't plowed our street.  My 2 daughters just left to trek to the local grocery store to get more milk (we used it up far faster than I thought) and meds for me.  Plus a few other things.  They're bored... it will be a nice trek.  Our local grocery store is about a mile or less from our house.

One son's b-day is today.  He lives in Baltimore near BWI.  I don't know if he can get down here or not. 

• Like 3

Everyone who posted pics: This almost makes me want to move back into snow country. White, pristine...but then it's all different when you have to dig out and drive in it.

I think I'll stick with my cup of tea looking for more pics here while we have F50 and a little drizzle!

THANK YOU all for posting pics. I love it.

ETA: When we lived in snow country, my gelding loved to roll in the snow while I felt sorry that I could not bring him into the living room to the wood stove. I love the dense "beard" horses grow in cold climates. It's so much fun to tickle.

And Quill's chicken peeking out cautiously...My birds used to sit under the heating lamp when the temp dropped below F40. California chickens...

Edited by Liz CA
  • Like 3

Taking a quick break from shoveling to grab a drink, etc.  Even with the shoveling, looking around at how gorgeous it all is... hubby and I both mentioned we're glad we moved back north from FL.  Winter (where we are) is gorgeous when it snows and the work actually feels good (the first few times)!

Winter gets old when it's brown, yucky, and endless.

I found it ironic that I had to suggest to him that we make it a priority to free our primary vehicle.  His engineering self was shoveling borders around the driveway - much the way one would put a puzzle together or mow a lawn.  Why?  We don't drive on the borders.  Work on the part that counts (since we won't get it all done today doing it by hand with this much snow).

I'm far more practical than precise.  He's my "pay attention to the details" guy.  We get along great as a team, but it would have helped progress if I'd pointed the obvious out to him sooner...

• Like 3

DH is trying to get to NYC.  There are no trains running in VA, his normal route.  If he could get to DC, he could catch one from there, but getting there is not looking likely.  They have not plowed even close to us (really cool website shows the plows and where they've been), and it looks like they won't get to us till at least tomorrow if not Tues.  So the execs flying in from Europe are just going to have to do this without DH.  

Can I say I'm happy to have him home?  :)

Our driveway and walks are shoveled, we've had snow play, and hot chocolate, and baked cookies.  Neighbor friends are here for a movie marathon and dinner, and life is good.  

• Like 8

We were able to free both our cars, but our road hasn't been plowed yet either, so neither car is actually going anywhere for at least another day.

Glad there's no emergency.

It also means if anyone was thinking of joining us for turkey in about an hour, you'll have to hike in from the nearby more main road.  ;)  (It's only 6/10ths of a mile, so could be done if you don't mind wading through snow!)

Hmm, guess I'm not working tomorrow even if they have school.  I haven't checked yet, but assume school will be closed if back roads aren't yet open.

• Like 3

We're in eastern Loudoun, and we had about 30 inches.  The kids have had SO much fun building snow forts and sledding down the hill at the end of the cul-de-sac.  I was really thrilled that all the basketball games yesterday were canceled, as well as church today.  I felt like it really was a break for me, since I didn't feel any obligation to do school!  Now we're waiting to see what OPM will decide about work tomorrow.  They'll probably say 2 hour delay or telework, but our neighborhood hasn't seen a plow, so there's no way dh is getting out, and teleworking is only an option if you work on unclassified stuff.  So . . . looks like unpaid time off tomorrow, since he used his leave for Christmas!

• Like 1

We're in eastern Loudoun, and we had about 30 inches. The kids have had SO much fun building snow forts and sledding down the hill at the end of the cul-de-sac. I was really thrilled that all the basketball games yesterday were canceled, as well as church today. I felt like it really was a break for me, since I didn't feel any obligation to do school! Now we're waiting to see what OPM will decide about work tomorrow. They'll probably say 2 hour delay or telework, but our neighborhood hasn't seen a plow, so there's no way dh is getting out, and teleworking is only an option if you work on unclassified stuff. So . . . looks like unpaid time off tomorrow, since he used his leave for Christmas!

Unpaid leave...bummer. :(

• Like 1

We were able to free both our cars, but our road hasn't been plowed yet either, so neither car is actually going anywhere for at least another day.

Glad there's no emergency.

It also means if anyone was thinking of joining us for turkey in about an hour, you'll have to hike in from the nearby more main road.   ;)  (It's only 6/10ths of a mile, so could be done if you don't mind wading through snow!)

Hmm, guess I'm not working tomorrow even if they have school.  I haven't checked yet, but assume school will be closed if back roads aren't yet open.

All good as long as you have enough bananas* and ingreds for hot chocolate! Enjoy your turkey. I am making a roast even though I am not snowed in.  :)

*not sure what the bananas are for but some people on this board insist that you need bananas. Oh, wait, I thought of something delish. Slice up bananas and brown slightly in pan with a little butter. That would go well with the hot chocolate.

• Like 1

Metro restored with limited service, but we're on it. Woohoo. We can get to the rehearsal tomorrow. Of course... literally all the other kids in the cast are all emailing saying, help! Not to mention ds's teacher who is the local coordinator. We'll see who shows up, I guess.

I gambled that Metro would reopen at least partially and that any partially would obviously include us. So I didn't dig out the car. In 2010, dh did a bad job on the car and then accidentally blew up the engine and burned the car down trying to get it out. Really, really not interested in repeating that experience.

• Like 4

Now we're waiting to see what OPM will decide about work tomorrow.  They'll probably say 2 hour delay or telework, but our neighborhood hasn't seen a plow, so there's no way dh is getting out, and teleworking is only an option if you work on unclassified stuff.  So . . . looks like unpaid time off tomorrow, since he used his leave for Christmas!

That stinks, for the govt workers as well as contractors at every place dh's worked (there have been several), if they don't let you come in, it's still paid as if you were there, even if you couldn't do any work from home.

Edited by QueenCat

All good as long as you have enough bananas* and ingreds for hot chocolate! Enjoy your turkey. I am making a roast even though I am not snowed in.  :)

*not sure what the bananas are for but some people on this board insist that you need bananas. Oh, wait, I thought of something delish. Slice up bananas and brown slightly in pan with a little butter. That would go well with the hot chocolate.

Hot chocolate we have.  Can't say we're really banana fans though.  I only buy them 2 - 3 times per year.  I much prefer other fruits.  Yesterday we enjoyed a pomelo... not long ago we finished up our last pomegranate. Those are in season delicacies.  Pineapples, grapes, apples, or berries are regulars.

With turkey we'll have to stretch it and call the cranberry sauce a fruit - it was at least the whole berry (canned) variety.  We're too full to eat anything else at this point!

Tomorrow's breakfast is set - turkey sandwiches.  Ditto that for lunch.  ;)

No school tomorrow.  It's officially called off.  Too many back roads (like ours) haven't seen a plow yet.  I feel for our new neighbor.  He was unable to get home from his (overnight) job.  She's alone and didn't get my phone message inviting her over here until too late.  Tomorrow hubby will go over and help with her driveway.  They have a snowblower, but she doesn't know how to use it.  We had no idea or he'd have helped her today.

• Like 1

Sledding was a fail and not for our makeshift boards. After walking quarter mile to the school (yay for plowed street) and then wading in the knee to hip deep snow to the hill area (so jealous that the kids mostly walked in top of the snow, DH and I sunk in).

But eventually made it to the hill and the texture just wasn't right for sledding. Kids were able to squeak out a few little runs. Baby started getting fussy so I headed back but he full on melted down and I was mostly stuck in way too deep snow to really help, along with wearing way too many and too well secured layers (including the wrapped baby) to make nursing happen. I am sure the neighbors thought us nuts and wondered why that baby was crying and crying and crying.

I don't foresee myself repeat that adventure again.

DH and oldest shoveled for hours and their cars are free but I noticed my van is still buried though DH insists that there has been a lot of clearing away of snow. So I guess shoveling is on my agenda for tomorrow. Luckily our morning gymnastics class is canceled - though they plan to still hold the evening classes, with so many streets that a plow hasn't even touched yet -- should be interesting.

• Like 3

Hmm, I'm finding out my sometimes daily chores of cleaning the barn didn't quite get my muscles in shape for a few hours of shoveling snow.   :glare:

Oh well.  That which doesn't kill you only makes you stronger, right?   :coolgleamA:

We don't know whether to be impressed by our new neighbor or wonder what's up.  He tried driving home knowing the road hadn't been plowed, and ended up having to leave his car at a house rather near the more main road after that guy helped him dig out.  Then he walked in waist deep snow the rest of the way - still probably 6/10ths of a mile considering where both houses are.  Impressive resolve and a good way for him to have met other friends of ours, but... sure not thinking I'd have done it or wanted hubby to have done so.

Eh, we still invited them over to play games and have turkey sandwiches with us tomorrow... and now that they know other friends of ours (from our neighbor "circle")... we can all get together sometime in the future.

• Like 2

Hmm, I'm finding out my sometimes daily chores of cleaning the barn didn't quite get my muscles in shape for a few hours of shoveling snow.   :glare:

Oh well.  That which doesn't kill you only makes you stronger, right?   :coolgleamA:

We don't know whether to be impressed by our new neighbor or wonder what's up.  He tried driving home knowing the road hadn't been plowed, and ended up having to leave his car at a house rather near the more main road after that guy helped him dig out.  Then he walked in waist deep snow the rest of the way - still probably 6/10ths of a mile considering where both houses are.  Impressive resolve and a good way for him to have met other friends of ours, but... sure not thinking I'd have done it or wanted hubby to have done so.

Eh, we still invited them over to play games and have turkey sandwiches with us tomorrow... and now that they know other friends of ours (from our neighbor "circle")... we can all get together sometime in the future.

Good neighbors are such a blessing. Wished we had lived next to you when we had acreage...instead the guy next door opted to grow a cash crop. We found this out after our dog started barking at  2 a.m. one night when someone was evidently trying to sneak onto our property having mistaken it for the one with the cash crop...

• Like 1

Sledding was a fail and not for our makeshift boards. After walking quarter mile to the school (yay for plowed street) and then wading in the knee to hip deep snow to the hill area (so jealous that the kids mostly walked in top of the snow, DH and I sunk in).

But eventually made it to the hill and the texture just wasn't right for sledding. Kids were able to squeak out a few little runs. Baby started getting fussy so I headed back but he full on melted down and I was mostly stuck in way too deep snow to really help, along with wearing way too many and too well secured layers (including the wrapped baby) to make nursing happen. I am sure the neighbors thought us nuts and wondered why that baby was crying and crying and crying.

I don't foresee myself repeat that adventure again.

DH and oldest shoveled for hours and their cars are free but I noticed my van is still buried though DH insists that there has been a lot of clearing away of snow. So I guess shoveling is on my agenda for tomorrow. Luckily our morning gymnastics class is canceled - though they plan to still hold the evening classes, with so many streets that a plow hasn't even touched yet -- should be interesting.

Sledding is usually a fail in snow this deep until a good "run" gets built up - packing the snow down by lots of going down over and over. It's best when there's a big group all sledding and building up the run. My kids were cranky inside and didn't want to go out again sledding even though the runs were likely better today than yesterday. And after almost two hours of shoveling, I can't say I much encouraged going out. Oh well.

• Like 1

Sledding is usually a fail in snow this deep until a good "run" gets built up - packing the snow down by lots of going down over and over. It's best when there's a big group all sledding and building up the run. My kids were cranky inside and didn't want to go out again sledding even though the runs were likely better today than yesterday. And after almost two hours of shoveling, I can't say I much encouraged going out. Oh well.

We haven't tried sledding yet and I didn't encourage it for this reason. I think our closest sledding hill got packed down today, so we will probably hit it tomorrow. I'm hoping the plow comes through tonight and I can finish the dig out too.

• Like 2

Good neighbors are such a blessing. Wished we had lived next to you when we had acreage...instead the guy next door opted to grow a cash crop. We found this out after our dog started barking at  2 a.m. one night when someone was evidently trying to sneak onto our property having mistaken it for the one with the cash crop...

Oh, it's live and let live back here and in most rural places I've lived in.  That's an advantage in oodles of ways, so even though we (and these other two families) aren't into cash crops, we don't bother investigating anyone closely.

I can say we found a nice, tall "plant" growing out in the open next to our barn one time we were cleaning out brush.   :lol:  Hubby suggested I sell it at school (100% a joke as both of us tend to lean against meds of any sort and certainly aren't pro "plants" to school kids).  I told him to be careful about which side was downwind when burning the brush we were cleaning.  Considering it was hiding in plain sight - even to us - we're glad we don't get "other" traffic down our road.  Not everyone is into "live and let live!"  We can only surmise a seed blew in from elsewhere.

Meanwhile, I'm impressed with my body.  One night's sleep and absolutely no muscle pain whatsoever.  No pain meds either.  My arms are either more in shape than they seemed last night or my nerves got tired of letting me know there were issues and gave up.  (I often only have pain from anything for one day, then the pain goes away even if other stuff doesn't, so that latter theory has been one I've wondered about for many things.   :lol: )  

Regardless of which it is, it makes for a more pleasant morning than I was expecting - esp with more shoveling coming up today.  

It's still quite pretty with the moonlight reflecting off the snow making it look like dawn or dusk instead of dark, but yesterday was prettier 'cause now a bit of the snow has been moved, etc.  Yesterday it was super pristine.

• Like 1

Had to come back in and update this with our latest road clearing information... fresh from our new neighbor's phone call inquiring about it.

It seems our township started to try to clear the road and ran into 8' drifts, so quit.  They told him they need to get bigger equipment in to handle it and will call him when they get back to it.

He told me when he was walking (hiking?) back last night he was in snow up to his chin in places.  That's not 8', of course, but I could imagine him not picking the deepest parts to hike through...

We'll be getting together in a little bit for more games and turkey sandwiches.  They just have to finish snowblowing their driveway first (far longer than ours, so not a shoveling contender).

'Tis always good to be prepared to be on our own for a while - just in case.  I'd rather be loving it than fretting about it!  (And of course, it's always good if no emergency happens...)

I wonder how many other roads are having similar complications for the townships around here... perhaps no school tomorrow as well as today!

• Like 1

'Tis always good to be prepared to be on our own for a while - just in case.  I'd rather be loving it than fretting about it!  (And of course, it's always good if no emergency happens...)

Glad you're able to be calm and relatively comfy!

I had a mini panic attack about our limited supply of wood and gas, so I'm very happy we kept power. Now I can increase the stockpile just in case this new storm hits at the end of the week.  :cursing:

Our development has private roads, so not the same plow people as the outside world.  Our street was nicely plowed by the time we woke up yesterday. I have no real clue how anything beyond this road looks, and I'm quite content to sit around a while more before going out to check.

• Like 1

Pics from Creekland's - the morning after. It's gorgeous out!

Our house from the road:

154_7_1.jpg

The ponies - yes, they prefer OUT as they could be in if they wanted to be:

153_6_1.jpg

Pony pasture - hill down to pond. Yes, there's a one acre pond at the bottom of the hill going all the way to the fence in the background. This is where my guys would be sledding in their younger years (sigh).

151_5_1.jpg

The road heading to our neighbor's place.

149_4_1.jpg

Head past the old shed (that we don't use) to get to our chicken coop (small building you can see a corner of). Can't wait to try to get to them this morning... ;)

147_3_1.jpg

Our shoveling task later. This is where it's been measuring between 27 - 30 inches deep.

145_2_1.jpg

I guess we ought to clear out the mailbox area too. This is the road heading out toward more neighbors and civilization - not the plowed part in the upper middle - that's another neighbor's entrance. The wind swirls in the snow are spectacular looking...

144_1_1.jpg

I love where we live, but we don't expect civilization to come help us out (quickly)! Solitude is priceless - as are great neighbors. Most of us are a clan back here... ;) (NOT meaning cult, etc, just we really get along well and assist each other when/if needed.)

Ha, I just showed the picture of your house to my husband. When we were first married, we lived on his parent's farm in a house just like that. It even had that thick wood trim around all the windows and doors.

• Like 1