Menu

Missing mass and other mortal sins

Jennifer132

So I am the one who started the other Catholic thread in which I mentioned I was considering conversion (maybe). In reading about mortal sin, I read that mortal sin is intentionally breaking the Ten Commandments. I have several questions for anyone who wants to answer:

When did the idea of mortal sins come to mean disobeying the Ten Commandments specifically?

If I miss mass occasionally for no truly dire reason (for instance, sometimes I miss my Protestant church service because I'm just too overwhelmed with life and want to stay home and be alone for a few precious hours. Not something I have a chance to do very often with five children), and I subsequently get in an accident and die, am I going to hell? Even if I've lived a faithful life up to that point? I realize going should not feel like an obligation but a privilege, but what if on occasion I just can't will myself to go? Am I risking my eternal life?

What about the commandments to not to lie or to honor your parents? If my children dishonor me, or lie, are they going to hell (let's assume they know what they are doing and that they know it's wrong) if they unexpectedly die? One of my children has behavioral problems. Would I need to constantly worry about her eternal state?

I'm truly struggling with this aspect of Catholicism because it seems to me that it could create a lot of anxiety for people that at any given moment they or their children may have sinned a mortal sin and be going to hell.

If anyone can enlighten me, I would be grateful.

Even from an evangelical perspective, unless you are Calvinist those are still questions. Philippians 2:12 -  ...Continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling.

Do your best.  Ask for mercy.  Try to make sure you have a good relationship with God at all times.

• Like 1

Even from an evangelical perspective, unless you are Calvinist those are still questions. Philippians 2:12 - ...Continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling.

Do your best. Ask for mercy. Try to make sure you have a good relationship with God at all times.

I do not know if I am a Calvinist, but the way I was taught was that we have assurance of salvation. All our sins have been forgiven past, present and future. I'm not saying that makes the most sense biblically or traditionally, but from my current perspective, it isn't something we generally have to be concerned about.

• Like 2

I don't agree with the definition of mortal sin being about the ten commandments.  Its not at all.  Mortal sin is "grave" and deliberate and it separates you from God.  http://www.saintaquinas.com/mortal_sin.html

Missing mass because you want to be alone at the house with your feet up would be a mortal sin which would require you to confess it and be forgiven.  Missing mass because the baby has been coughing all night and you haven't slept a wink and you do not feel well would not be a mortal sin.

• Like 2

I'm not Catholic, but your question particularly caught my attention because we've discussing the Ten Commandments for the past several weeks at my church. My answer would be that we are not, as Christians, under the law. The law was given to Israel, not to us, and we are granted eternal life through our faith in Christ. Please reread the last half of Galatians 2 and Galatians 3. Romans 6 may also be helpful. We should only be concerned with following the commandments taught and repeated by Jesus (notably, He did not repeat the commandment to "keep the Sabbath") and others given throughout the New Testament. This is how we show our love for Christ and prove that our faith is genuine.

These are deep and significant questions. I too have felt drawn to the Catholic Church. In some ways, I have more in common with Catholics than with many standard evangelical Christians. However, I cannot in good conscience affirm some of their doctrines, particularly the ones relating to Mary.

I don't want to start a debate here. However, feel free to PM me if you'd like.  :grouphug:

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 4

Well, I was raised Catholic. I wouldn't say I was well-catechized during my childhood though. I am now doing my best to rectify that. The idea of mortal sin only being connected to the 10 commandments is not one I am familiar with. 

Deliberately missing Mass without good cause (illness, a super-long distance - which I once read that the USCCB defined as more than 2 hours away-, etc...) would be a mortal sin. Catholics believe that the Mass is central to life. In it, we experience Christ, body and blood, soul and divinity. That opportunity should not be blown off on a whim.

I can say that I don't worry about mortal sin, oh, pretty much ever. I mean, if I come to the realization that I have, that's what Reconciliation is for. 

I have a few more thoughts, but the kids are calling...I'll try to add my other thoughts later.

ETA: need to address something raised by a pp

The Catholic Church wouldn't say we are only concerned with the commandments Jesus repeated. In fact, keeping holy the Sabbath is a *big deal*. (Again, missing Mass without good cause would be a mortal sin.) Jesus didn't abolish the old law, he fulfilled it. Okay, no I really need to go, but will come back.

Edited by barnwife
  • Like 2

I do not know if I am a Calvinist, but the way I was taught was that we have assurance of salvation. All our sins have been forgiven past, present and future. I'm not saying that makes the most sense biblically or traditionally, but from my current perspective, it isn't something we generally have to be concerned about.

I was taught and used to believe in unconditional eternal security as well, but I don't think the doctrine holds up when tested by Scripture. I still believe in conditional eternal security--we are secure as we do our best to walk with and obey Jesus. I don't think perfection is required. "My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin. And if anyone sins, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous." 1 John 2:1

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 3

ETA: need to address something raised by a pp

The Catholic Church wouldn't say we are only concerned with the commandments Jesus repeated. In fact, keeping holy the Sabbath is a *big deal*. (Again, missing Mass without good cause would be a mortal sin.) Jesus didn't abolish the old law, he fulfilled it. Okay, no I really need to go, but will come back.

I agree with the bolded statement. That is how Paul could write, "Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes" (Romans 10:4).

Christians are under a new covenant, and this is what the New Testament has to say about the sabbath:

"One person regards one day above another, another regards every day alike. Each person must be fully convinced in his own mind." Romans 14:5

"Therefore no one is to act as your judge in regard to food or drink or in respect to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath day—things which are a mere shadow of what is to come; but the substance belongs to Christ." Colossians 2:16-17

See also Matthew 12 and Mark 2. Hebrews 4 teaches that Jesus is our Sabbath rest. 

I am exceedingly thankful that we are not required to follow the instructions regarding the Sabbath, which were given to Israel. They are difficult, to say the least!

So I am the one who started the other Catholic thread in which I mentioned I was considering conversion (maybe). In reading about mortal sin, I read that mortal sin is intentionally breaking the Ten Commandments. I have several questions for anyone who wants to answer:

When did the idea of mortal sins come to mean disobeying the Ten Commandments specifically?

If I miss mass occasionally for no truly dire reason (for instance, sometimes I miss my Protestant church service because I'm just too overwhelmed with life and want to stay home and be alone for a few precious hours. Not something I have a chance to do very often with five children), and I subsequently get in an accident and die, am I going to hell? Even if I've lived a faithful life up to that point? I realize going should not feel like an obligation but a privilege, but what if on occasion I just can't will myself to go? Am I risking my eternal life?

What about the commandments to not to lie or to honor your parents? If my children dishonor me, or lie, are they going to hell (let's assume they know what they are doing and that they know it's wrong) if they unexpectedly die? One of my children has behavioral problems. Would I need to constantly worry about her eternal state?

I'm truly struggling with this aspect of Catholicism because it seems to me that it could create a lot of anxiety for people that at any given moment they or their children may have sinned a mortal sin and be going to hell.

One of my Roman Catholic brothers or sisters please correct me if I'm wrong in what I'm about to say regarding hell.

I can't speak to the topic of mortal sins since I'm Eastern Orthodox and as far as I know we don't have a list of different types of sins in the same way that the RC church does. I do believe that we share a common understanding about hell, however. Hell is not a place one is sent to by God as a punishment. Hell is the experience of pain and suffering in God's immediate presence due to one's opposition to God and disdain for Him. I don't think you need to worry about small details like this. We will all fall short and miss the mark, and ultimately it will come down to how repentant we are for the sins we've committed, whether knowingly or unknowingly when we find ourselves before God's Great Judgement.

• Like 1

For something to be a mortal sin you have to do it on purpose, knowing it is a mortal sin. Personally, there have been times I was too lazy to go to church and I feel that was a mortal sin, and I did go to reconcilliation. However, after the holidays, I did purposely stay home from Mass because I was in the midst of, for better terms, an introvert hangover. I was on my last nerve, and mentally couldn't handle the idea of leaving the house yet again (we'd been on the road EVERY DAY for 3 days, plus all the holiday stuff). I needed the safety and quiet of my home. I think personally that my mental health needs are important too, and that it was no different than staying home because of a cold. I do not think I committed a mortal sin. God knows me, and he knows that I did this because my mind and body needed to be home right then, not because I just felt lazy or that I don't value Mass. I was very happy to attend the next week. 

As for kids, first, they are not considered capable of mortal sin before the age of reason (about 7 years old). Second, again, it has to be something they are willfully doing. If they have diminished capacity to control their actions, or to understand them, than of course that isn't a mortal sin. Also, God give grace! Oh, and if you fully intend to go to reconciliation/confession but don't get to, God understands that to. 

• Like 1

For something to be a mortal sin you have to do it on purpose, knowing it is a mortal sin. Personally, there have been times I was too lazy to go to church and I feel that was a mortal sin, and I did go to reconcilliation. However, after the holidays, I did purposely stay home from Mass because I was in the midst of, for better terms, an introvert hangover. I was on my last nerve, and mentally couldn't handle the idea of leaving the house yet again (we'd been on the road EVERY DAY for 3 days, plus all the holiday stuff). I needed the safety and quiet of my home. I think personally that my mental health needs are important too, and that it was no different than staying home because of a cold. I do not think I committed a mortal sin. God knows me, and he knows that I did this because my mind and body needed to be home right then, not because I just felt lazy or that I don't value Mass. I was very happy to attend the next week.

As for kids, first, they are not considered capable of mortal sin before the age of reason (about 7 years old). Second, again, it has to be something they are willfully doing. If they have diminished capacity to control their actions, or to understand them, than of course that isn't a mortal sin. Also, God give grace! Oh, and if you fully intend to go to reconciliation/confession but don't get to, God understands that to.

Thank you, this makes sense to me. It's not that I'm lazy and want to selfishly kick my feet up. Sometimes I just need to be alone and recharge. I am an introvert as well.

In order for a sin to be mortal, you have to meet three conditions. 1) You must have full knowledge, 2) You must have full consent of the will ( in your right mind, without coercion, etc,) and 3) It must concern grave matter. If one of those is missing, it is a venial sin. Missing Mass on Sunday is a mortal sin when those three conditions are met. All mortal sin needs to be confessed before one can receive the Eucharist. If one is truly repentant and intends to confess as soon as one can, but dies before one gets the chance, one is not doomed to hell. We trust that God knows our hearts. God is merciful as well as just.

Blessings to you. I'm a convert and there is a lot that is different and foreign at first. It gets less scary and more beautiful as you go. If you don't already, I suggest reading the catechism. You can find it online at the USCCB website, or you can buy a copy. It has many scripture references, as well as references to documents that more fully explain the teachings. All those documents are available on the Vatican website.

• Like 3

Yes, it isn't that the 10 commandments are necessarily mortal sins.  More perhaps that they can be a good place to start.  But this is one of those areas where the theory is sometimes practiced in a way that gives people funny impressions.

THe first thing is really to think about what the idea of a mortal sin is.  Essentially, it is a sin that is so bad it constitutes a real, and complete, rejection of God.  So that if you happened to die without repenting, you would be in real trouble.  Other sins, that are less deliberate, or less serious, do not constitute such a total rejection, and so while they do create a kind of barrier between you and God, it isn't a willed rejection.

For a sin to be mortal, there have to be a few things:

1) It has to be a serious matter in and of itself.

2) You really have to will it - something like an addiction for example would often mitigate this requirement.  And if you think about it, given our fallen nature, we often are partially willing things.

3) You have to actually know and to at least some degree understand that the thing is bad.

Now, as far as deciding if you have committed a mortal sin, in a Catholic context, these are the things to keep in mind.  They aren't necessarily easy questions to answer.  In order to help people, especially people going to confession, there are different kinds of aids.  Many have a list of sins that might qualify, or a series of questions you ask yourself in preparation.  Some people simply ask about the Commandments as a guide.  I've also heard of people that use the model of the 7 deadly sins to question themselves how has pride been a factor in my life?  How has gluttony been a factor?  All of these are really practical ways to organize your thoughts.

An important purpose in going to confession with a priest is to ritualize and make very self-conscious the change of direction you need to make, and the reconciliation you make with God and the Church.  If you have really committed a serious sin of that kind, and have not turned away from it, that is not good.  If you have turned from the sin, and haven't yet made it to confession, that is not quite the same problem - generally priests will tell you in an instance like that the intent is the issue.

As far as missing church on Sunday - I will say right out that this seems to be one of the more controversial things that is frequently considered a mortal sin, and many people don't pay much attention to it - even as much perhaps as they should.  The idea is that in choosing not to go, you are refusing an opportunity of communion with God and the community.  I think sometimes though people need some perspective on what are considered valid reasons to miss - for example, taking a vacation where church is inaccessible is considered ok, even though it is essentially recreation.  And though it is not so common now, it used to be common for mothers to stay home with young kids and that was also considered ok.  So I think it helps to look at reasons for missing within that kind of context.

Something else to notice about this though is that Catholic services are often more available in order to give people more flexibility - there is often a "Sunday" service on both Saturday and Sunday evening, and there may be several Sunday morning.

• Like 1

As far as missing church on Sunday - I will say right out that this seems to be one of the more controversial things that is frequently considered a mortal sin, and many people don't pay much attention to it - even as much perhaps as they should.  The idea is that in choosing not to go, you are refusing an opportunity of communion with God and the community.  I think sometimes though people need some perspective on what are considered valid reasons to miss - for example, taking a vacation where church is inaccessible is considered ok, even though it is essentially recreation.  And though it is not so common now, it used to be common for mothers to stay home with young kids and that was also considered ok.  So I think it helps to look at reasons for missing within that kind of context.

Something else to notice about this though is that Catholic services are often more available in order to give people more flexibility - there is often a "Sunday" service on both Saturday and Sunday evening, and there may be several Sunday morning.

yes, if you stay home because you just think God isn't that important, and who cares...that might be a mortal sin. If you are caring for small children, the sick, or the elderly you have an automatic get out of Mass free card, lol. And yes, it does help that there are so many services. I usually go to the 10am mass because my kids go to Sunday school then, but otherwise I really like the 5:30pm Sunday Mass. It's the least attended, so never crowded. And awful as some think it, I leave the small ones home with my husband and go by myself sometimes. They are below the age of reason and I think it's fine to leave them home sometimes. Before anyone panics, trust me they get plenty of practice sitting in Mass. Sometimes I just like to go by myself and sit all alone in a pew :)

• Like 1

One of my Roman Catholic brothers or sisters please correct me if I'm wrong in what I'm about to say regarding hell.

I can't speak to the topic of mortal sins since I'm Eastern Orthodox and as far as I know we don't have a list of different types of sins in the same way that the RC church does. I do believe that we share a common understanding about hell, however. Hell is not a place one is sent to by God as a punishment. Hell is the experience of pain and suffering in God's immediate presence due to one's opposition to God and disdain for Him. I don't think you need to worry about small details like this. We will all fall short and miss the mark, and ultimately it will come down to how repentant we are for the sins we've committed, whether knowingly or unknowingly when we find ourselves before God's Great Judgement.

I would agree with most of what you say. However, just to clarify, there are no lists of mortal sins and venial sins. As a pp mentioned, mortal sin is a complete turning away from God and must be a grave matter with full knowledge and full intent of the will. Two people committing the same serious sin might not be equally culpable. Perhaps one knows it is a grave matter and the other does not. Outside observers could never judge such a thing by what it appears to be. It really depends upon the person's heart.

• Like 3

omething else, with regard to anxiety - there are people who are prone to religious anxiety, and there are people in Catholicism for whome some of the guidlines to help with self-examination are not a help but a hinderance.  I would say I also see something similar sometimes among some evangelicals who becaome anxious that they are "really saved".  It seems to come mainly from an anxious personality, but it can also be related to poor teaching or pastoral care, or all three.

I would agree with most of what you say. However, just to clarify, there are no lists of mortal sins and venial sins. As a pp mentioned, mortal sin is a complete turning away from God and must be a grave matter with full knowledge and full intent of the will. Two people committing the same serious sin might not be equally culpable. Perhaps one knows it is a grave matter and the other does not. Outside observers could never judge such a thing by what it appears to be. It really depends upon the person's heart.

There are though lists of things that are considered grave matters. 

I think there is a little difference of emphasis there with the eastern church or with anglo-catholicism, which seem to take the view that even something that is not in itself so grave can, for an individual, be very serious indeed.

OP, I have trouble making it up early for Mass. Sometimes I go in the evening. If you go to masstimes.org you find church listings. Not all the info will be updated so you have to call the parish offices to confirm, but it's a very good starting point. Between the churches around me I can make it Saturday evening, Sunday morning, or Sunday night. But not every parish has every option. You can see what is available near you.

omething else, with regard to anxiety - there are people who are prone to religious anxiety, and there are people in Catholicism for whome some of the guidlines to help with self-examination are not a help but a hinderance.  I would say I also see something similar sometimes among some evangelicals who becaome anxious that they are "really saved".  It seems to come mainly from an anxious personality, but it can also be related to poor teaching or pastoral care, or all three.

Yeah. I actually had religious OCD and read this book: http://www.amazon.com/The-Doubting-Disease-Scrupulosity-Compulsions/dp/0809135531years ago.

I am Catholic and I would drop many other things before I would drop going to Mass.  If life is so busy you can't make it Mass, I think maybe you might need some reprioritizing.   Mass isn't just another thing to check off in the week, it is an intimate encounter with Christ in a physical way by receiving him in the Blessed Sacrament.  People have died for the privilege of going to Mass!  Think of all the martyrs who have gone to their deaths for the love of the Mass!   It is the ultimate and most generous, intimate thing Christ has given us!  Mass is heaven on earth, if you rightly understand its significance!  It is our Lord and Savior inviting us to share his passover with him every week.  Mass is so central to the life of the Church that a priest must celebrate it every single day of his life!  You could (and there are many who do - even with children!) attend Mass every day!  So it isn't just a Sunday obligation thing (though that too!) - it is a sacred gift that allows us deep friendship with Christ.  I can't say no thanks to that!  So I think it is an issue of understanding the glorious worth of the Mass - so that nothing could keep you from it.  Like a lover who will go to all lengths to be with a beloved!

The thing about Mass is it is rejuvenating.  Every time you go, there is Jesus waiting for you to open your heart to him, to join with you, to help you love him better.  

I do think if taking little ones with you to Mass is draining (and it definitely can be!!!) and this is something that gets in the way of your needing time to recharge, I'd work out a deal where you didn't have to take them, at least during those weeks when you feel overwhelmed.  

If you do happen to miss Mass and it isn't because you are sick or tending sick children, etc, you can always confess it and indeed you'd need to go to confession before you went to Mass to receive Communion again.  This is because we are supposed to be as in communion with both God and others to receive Communion.  It takes communion to receive Communion, iow.  In the beginning of Mass we do ask for forgiveness for lesser sins, but for those grave sins that really have greatly disordered our love and damaged our relationship with Christ, then we need help and that is why you need to go to confession and make things right with the Lord before receiving his beautiful gift of himself in the Eucharist.

If you miss Mass for some reason (like vacation) you really are supposed to go to the priest before the fact get a dispensation or after the fact go to confession.  This is a good thing because we humans tend to rationalize being self-serving.  So it keeps one on the straight and narrow to make sure how you live is out in the open, so to speak.  

Anyway, I have been interrupted about 7, er make that 8! times trying to type this out and now must go start dinner, so I hope this doesn't come off as preachy or offensive or anything!  God bless!

• Like 6

In order for a sin to be mortal, you have to meet three conditions. 1) You must have full knowledge, 2) You must have full consent of the will ( in your right mind, without coercion, etc,) and 3) It must concern grave matter. If one of those is missing, it is a venial sin. Missing Mass on Sunday is a mortal sin when those three conditions are met. All mortal sin needs to be confessed before one can receive the Eucharist. If one is truly repentant and intends to confess as soon as one can, but dies before one gets the chance, one is not doomed to hell. We trust that God knows our hearts. God is merciful as well as just.

Blessings to you. I'm a convert and there is a lot that is different and foreign at first. It gets less scary and more beautiful as you go. If you don't already, I suggest reading the catechism. You can find it online at the USCCB website, or you can buy a copy. It has many scripture references, as well as references to documents that more fully explain the teachings. All those documents are available on the Vatican website.

As a fellow convert,  :iagree: .

I am Catholic and I would drop many other things before I would drop going to Mass.  If life is so busy you can't make it Mass, I think maybe you might need some reprioritizing.   

Absolutely. It's not that I plan my week and think, oh, I'll just miss Mass. But sometimes life sneaks up on me and it's Sunday and I just know that I need to stay in and that going will lead to me being in a bad place. This is rare...maybe a few times a year? So yes, normally life is prioritized around making it to Mass. But that doesn't mean sometimes things happen. 

• Like 1

Yes, things can happen but I guess I would consult a priest about not going for the reasons you give.  I guess I would try my hardest to find another way to cocoon for mental health, rather than skip Mass.  Especially if you are aware that several times a year this happens to you.  But I do know life can make things tricky!  I sometimes have missed because I had a bad migraine in the a.m. and then when evening came around I completely forgot it was Sunday!  Even though I had been planning to go to another evening mass at a different parish.  So stuff does happen.  But I still confess this kind of thing just to make sure everything is on the up and up!  Whenever I have a question, I ask.  So it isn't just me muddling things out by myself.  

Anyway, must bake cornbread now!  Blessings!

In order for a sin to be mortal instead of venial, certain things have to apply: (1) You have to know that it is a sin. (2) You must have the freedom to choose to do it or not. And (3) you must choose to sin.

You are not going to go to hell if you get in the accident and die, but continually choosing to do that which you know to be sin will certainly, eventually, cause a rift between you and God which may be difficult for you to overcome (God can forgive it, of course, but *you* will have strayed far enough away that you cannot easily find your way back).

Children dishonoring their parents are not committing mortal sin. They are children.

Someone with emotional problems does not have complete control over her choices.

The only reason that someone might have anxiety over it is that she is not continuing with her own faith formation. Also, she might not be faithfully going to Reconciliation, where she could be discussing these things with her confessor.

• Like 1

I am Catholic and I would drop many other things before I would drop going to Mass. If life is so busy you can't make it Mass, I think maybe you might need some reprioritizing. Mass isn't just another thing to check off in the week, it is an intimate encounter with Christ in a physical way by receiving him in the Blessed Sacrament. People have died for the privilege of going to Mass! Think of all the martyrs who have gone to their deaths for the love of the Mass! It is the ultimate and most generous, intimate thing Christ has given us! Mass is heaven on earth, if you rightly understand its significance! It is our Lord and Savior inviting us to share his passover with him every week. Mass is so central to the life of the Church that a priest must celebrate it every single day of his life! You could (and there are many who do - even with children!) attend Mass every day! So it isn't just a Sunday obligation thing (though that too!) - it is a sacred gift that allows us deep friendship with Christ. I can't say no thanks to that! So I think it is an issue of understanding the glorious worth of the Mass - so that nothing could keep you from it. Like a lover who will go to all lengths to be with a beloved!

The thing about Mass is it is rejuvenating. Every time you go, there is Jesus waiting for you to open your heart to him, to join with you, to help you love him better.

I do think if taking little ones with you to Mass is draining (and it definitely can be!!!) and this is something that gets in the way of your needing time to recharge, I'd work out a deal where you didn't have to take them, at least during those weeks when you feel overwhelmed.

If you do happen to miss Mass and it isn't because you are sick or tending sick children, etc, you can always confess it and indeed you'd need to go to confession before you went to Mass to receive Communion again. This is because we are supposed to be as in communion with both God and others to receive Communion. It takes communion to receive Communion, iow. In the beginning of Mass we do ask for forgiveness for lesser sins, but for those grave sins that really have greatly disordered our love and damaged our relationship with Christ, then we need help and that is why you need to go to confession and make things right with the Lord before receiving his beautiful gift of himself in the Eucharist.

If you miss Mass for some reason (like vacation) you really are supposed to go to the priest before the fact get a dispensation or after the fact go to confession. This is a good thing because we humans tend to rationalize being self-serving. So it keeps one on the straight and narrow to make sure how you live is out in the open, so to speak.

Anyway, I have been interrupted about 7, er make that 8! times trying to type this out and now must go start dinner, so I hope this doesn't come off as preachy or offensive or anything! God bless!

Love this! It's how I feel about the Divine Liturgy in the EO church. There's no place else I'd rather be than heaven on earth at the Lord's Supper.

• Like 1

I am Catholic and I would drop many other things before I would drop going to Mass. If life is so busy you can't make it Mass, I think maybe you might need some reprioritizing. Mass isn't just another thing to check off in the week, it is an intimate encounter with Christ in a physical way by receiving him in the Blessed Sacrament. People have died for the privilege of going to Mass! Think of all the martyrs who have gone to their deaths for the love of the Mass! It is the ultimate and most generous, intimate thing Christ has given us! Mass is heaven on earth, if you rightly understand its significance! It is our Lord and Savior inviting us to share his passover with him every week. Mass is so central to the life of the Church that a priest must celebrate it every single day of his life! You could (and there are many who do - even with children!) attend Mass every day! So it isn't just a Sunday obligation thing (though that too!) - it is a sacred gift that allows us deep friendship with Christ. I can't say no thanks to that! So I think it is an issue of understanding the glorious worth of the Mass - so that nothing could keep you from it. Like a lover who will go to all lengths to be with a beloved!

The thing about Mass is it is rejuvenating. Every time you go, there is Jesus waiting for you to open your heart to him, to join with you, to help you love him better.

If you do happen to miss Mass and it isn't because you are sick or tending sick children, etc, you can always confess it and indeed you'd need to go to confession before you went to Mass to receive Communion again. This is because we are supposed to be as in communion with both God and others to receive Communion. It takes communion to receive Communion, iow. In the beginning of Mass we do ask for forgiveness for lesser sins, but for those grave sins that really have greatly disordered our love and damaged our relationship with Christ, then we need help and that is why you need to go to confession and make things right with the Lord before receiving his beautiful gift of himself in the Eucharist.

If you miss Mass for some reason (like vacation) you really are supposed to go to the priest before the fact get a dispensation or after the fact go to confession. This is a good thing because we humans tend to rationalize being self-serving. So it keeps one on the straight and narrow to make sure how you live is out in the open, so to speak.

Anyway, I have been interrupted about 7, er make that 8! times trying to type this out and now must go start dinner, so I hope this doesn't come off as preachy or offensive or anything! God bless!

Well this needed to be said again. :-) As for vacation, we always look up schedules of Masses on masstimes.org before we leave home and plan accordingly.

The day after our daughter's wedding I was wiped out. We slept a little later and I went to a Sunday evening Mass. Sometimes it just takes a bit of forethought and planning for special situations.

How I wish many Catholics would have this understanding and appreciation for the Holy Mass

You got wonderful answers here. But also, please know that we believe in a loving and merciful God, he knows we are not perfect. Yes, I have to admit that it is scary to realize that we sin, venial or mortal, but we constantly sin. We are human and we are imperfect, and God knows that. Yes, it might feel that Catholics have many "rules" and it's hard to live like that, but don't be discouraged, the Catholic faith is beautiful. I will pray that the Lord leads you in your journey.

• 6 years later...