Menu

s/o Treadmills. Do you wish you'd instead bought . . .

Alicia64

I like my treadmill because we did a DIY hack and made it into a treadmill desk.  I use it 100x more now that I can just type away at 1-1.5 mph whenever I want.  Our hack is basically some foam squares and a shelf...so it's easy to take down if we want to use it like a "real" treadmill. :)

• Like 3

I kinda wish I'd bought an elliptical instead, because I've discovered that I would still rather run outdoors in the cold (admittedly, I live in the mid-Atlantic, so cold isn't that cold most of the time, like 30s-40s, mid day) or a light rain than be on the treadmill.  I mean, I'm glad I have it, because if it's pouring or icy (like actual ice on the roads) I'm not going out.  But I would use it more if it was an elliptical.  I find an elliptical more tolerable than a treadmill for some reason, and there is good reason to choose the joint-saving of the elliptical from time to time.

I like my treadmill because we did a DIY hack and made it into a treadmill desk. I use it 100x more now that I can just type away at 1-1.5 mph whenever I want. Our hack is basically some foam squares and a shelf...so it's easy to take down if we want to use it like a "real" treadmill. :)

That's brilliant, umsami! I am hoping to buy a treadmill soon because I just can't finf enough time to run outside as much as I'd like while caring for three little people. At the same time, I know a treadmill desk would get used by both me and my husband. It never occurred to me that icoyks just make my own moveable desk to get the best of both worlds. You are awesome!

• Like 2

Think about where you are going to put it.  We had a treadmill and realized it couldn't be used on the second floor (master bedroom sitting area) because it made the whole house shake.  An elliptical would have been fine in that space.

• Like 1

We had a treadmill for years and if we were just going to have one piece of equipment, that's the one we'd use the most. I mean, we walk every day so it's easy to take a spin on the treadmill. I spend some time on the other equipment at the gym but nothing seems as versatile as a treadmill. I can walk slowly when I don't feel well (any movement is better than sitting on my butt) and really get a workout if I go fast and add incline. 

But having said that, we outgrew having JUST the treadmill and joined a gym instead of adding an elliptical, rowing machine, bike, and other equipment to our home. 

• Like 1

I've been very happy with just a treadmill. When our first bit the dust after 11 years of use, we got a new, slightly better treadmill. The first one felt too flimsy to run on, but with the new one. both dh and I will run on it (my run is only a little faster than my walk--5 mph vs. 4 mph). I run 3 days a week and walk the other 2.

my xcntry ski machine/nordic track (precursor to elipticals) is great.  you can walk - or use the arms too.  with the resistance, it will also tone your muscles. the greater the incline, the more it works your abdominals.   takes up alot less space than a treadmill.

We bought an elliptical and inherited a treadmill. We used both faithfully for several years. When our treadmill died a year ago, we decided to join a gym instead of replacing the treadmill. Best decision :D Now I lift weights, go to a bodyweight bootcamp class, and use their ellipticals, bikes, and rowing machines!

(If our kids were little still we would have replaced the treadmill. Childcare scheduling is a pain.)

• Like 1

Think about where you are going to put it.  We had a treadmill and realized it couldn't be used on the second floor (master bedroom sitting area) because it made the whole house shake.  An elliptical would have been fine in that space.

This! And also consider when and how you'll use a treadmill. I thought using it at night while DH and I watched Netflix was a brilliant idea...until we realized we had to turn the volume up so loudly to hear the TV that we ended up waking our toddler! An elliptical would have been much more quiet.

• Like 1