Menu

Okay - no more jokes about British teeth please

Laura Corin

I think that this is a key vocabulary difference that I'm only just understanding, and is the reason that I (and maybe British people in general) get a bit peeved about the stereotype.  It's always expressed as 'bad British teeth'.  To me, 'bad teeth' mean rotten teeth.  But I think that in the US you mean bad-looking teeth.  Is that right?  So to me, if I'm told that British people have 'bad teeth', then it's accusing us of bad hygiene, not a different aesthetic sense.

I don't think I've ever heard a comment in the sense that British have bad hygiene or rotten teeth.  I do think it refers to the aesthetic - yellow and not straightened.

I'm going to disagree with this as a blanket statement.

Sometimes it really is structural/functional.  So, you want a guy like our ortho to honestly tell you the difference.

I disagree that it's always cosmetic as well, even with just straightening crooked teeth.  The truth is that very crooked teeth often cause bite and other problems in later life.  I know two people directly (including the man I worked with) that had to have braces in their 50s-60s due to problems that were being caused by their unstraightened teeth.  

Especially if you might have to have it done anyway, why not just get it fixed when you're young and have a pretty smile?

• Like 4

The study was done by researchers in both countries, I thought. So the US researchers didn't think about the issue either.

I would assume it's common knowledge, but maybe it's just common knowledge to people in the military who get it done before they get out and have to pay for it themselves and mothers who manage the family appointments.

• Like 1

I have also never thought that 'bad British teeth' meant anything other than yellow or crooked, nothing to do with hygiene.  I also haven't thought that was anything more than a stupid stereotype.

And while someone did mention British tea consumption as a cause of staining, I suspect yellow teeth have more to do with British smoking.  Every adult Brit I have met is a smoker or an ex-smoker. Some only smoked when drinking, so 'social smokers'. And the ex-smokers only became ex because they moved to the US and they felt uncomfortable smoking. Smoking causes dental havoc, well more than tea.  And Americans drink just as much coffee and that certainly causes plenty of staining of teeth.  Now, obviously not every adult in the UK smokes, I understand that, but it does seem more acceptable there.  I am guessing with changing laws about smoking that will change over a generation.

Yes, whiter teeth look younger, that is a fact. And in today's job market things like that matter. DH has a big job interview coming up and you had best believe he is getting a haircut and will make sure his teeth are white, and maybe even a manicure if I can talk him into it. He doesn't need to be going there with hairy old man hands, lol. He's hitting middle age and those sorts of things (hair on his ears etc) are starting to show up.

When I turned 40 my dentist told me to start whitening my teeth twice a year. He said to use the strips from the store and buy the cheapest ones. I was (am) of an age where he couldn't get them any better with yearly cleaning and it was time to start.  I bleach them about once a year, usually right after a cleaning, and they look great. They aren't blinding white or fake looking, they just look like they do when I get back from the dentist, only for a longer period of time. FWIW, I also dye my greying hair. I don't see the difference between the two. It doesn't mean that if you do one you must do the other, but it seems odd to judge one and not the other. And if you are over 40 and have never used whitening strips, I highly recommend them.

And I know far more than 2 adults who have had to have braces later in life to correct jaw issues.  Both my kids needed braces, absolutely, but while they were in there I insisted some cosmetic issues were also dealt with. It cost the same, and the braces had to be on, so why not? What's wrong with that? My younger son's 'cosmetic' issue also has a correlation with sinus problems and he is my sinus problem kid. Seems like it would be foolish not to try to fix that.  I didn't expect 'perfect' teeth, but I do expect to be able to see my several thousand dollars worth of work, lol. I tell each kid they have a trip to Europe in their mouth, so they had better wear the damn retainer to keep them looking good.

• Like 1

I have also never thought that 'bad British teeth' meant anything other than yellow or crooked, nothing to do with hygiene.  I also haven't thought that was anything more than a stupid stereotype.

And while someone did mention British tea consumption as a cause of staining, I suspect yellow teeth have more to do with British smoking.  Every adult Brit I have met is a smoker or an ex-smoker. Some only smoked when drinking, so 'social smokers'. And the ex-smokers only became ex because they moved to the US and they felt uncomfortable smoking. Smoking causes dental havoc, well more than tea.  And Americans drink just as much coffee and that certainly causes plenty of staining of teeth.  Now, obviously not every adult in the UK smokes, I understand that, but it does seem more acceptable there.  I am guessing with changing laws about smoking that will change over a generation.

That's interesting - I don't know any British adults who smoke.  And this map shows the reverse of your perception:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_cigarette_consumption_per_capita#/media/File:World_map_of_countries_by_number_of_cigarettes_smoked_per_adult_per_year.svg

Tea is actually worse than coffee for staining - it's the tannin:

http://www.webmd.com/oral-health/features/foods-stain-teeth-feature

Yes, whiter teeth look younger, that is a fact. And in today's job market things like that matter. DH has a big job interview coming up and you had best believe he is getting a haircut and will make sure his teeth are white, and maybe even a manicure if I can talk him into it. He doesn't need to be going there with hairy old man hands, lol. He's hitting middle age and those sorts of things (hair on his ears etc) are starting to show up.

When I turned 40 my dentist told me to start whitening my teeth twice a year. He said to use the strips from the store and buy the cheapest ones. I was (am) of an age where he couldn't get them any better with yearly cleaning and it was time to start.  I bleach them about once a year, usually right after a cleaning, and they look great. They aren't blinding white or fake looking, they just look like they do when I get back from the dentist, only for a longer period of time. FWIW, I also dye my greying hair. I don't see the difference between the two. It doesn't mean that if you do one you must do the other, but it seems odd to judge one and not the other. And if you are over 40 and have never used whitening strips, I highly recommend them.

I don't dye my hair either - I'm fine with being my age.  I do understand the job-market issue - husband was laid off in his mid-fifties and couldn't find another job, so I understand the prejudice.  On the other hand, everyone can work out ages from average graduation times, so age is not a secret when you apply for jobs.

And I know far more than 2 adults who have had to have braces later in life to correct jaw issues.  Both my kids needed braces, absolutely, but while they were in there I insisted some cosmetic issues were also dealt with. It cost the same, and the braces had to be on, so why not? What's wrong with that? My younger son's 'cosmetic' issue also has a correlation with sinus problems and he is my sinus problem kid. Seems like it would be foolish not to try to fix that.  I didn't expect 'perfect' teeth, but I do expect to be able to see my several thousand dollars worth of work, lol. I tell each kid they have a trip to Europe in their mouth, so they had better wear the damn retainer to keep them looking good.

I'm not saying that it's wrong.  As I said: I'm not anti-braces.  I just like wonky natural faces: bumpy noses and funny teeth.  It's part of the face's charm.  But I'm not saying that anyone else has to feel that way.  

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 2

I have also never thought that 'bad British teeth' meant anything other than yellow or crooked, nothing to do with hygiene. I also haven't thought that was anything more than a stupid stereotype.

And while someone did mention British tea consumption as a cause of staining, I suspect yellow teeth have more to do with British smoking. Every adult Brit I have met is a smoker or an ex-smoker. Some only smoked when drinking, so 'social smokers'. And the ex-smokers only became ex because they moved to the US and they felt uncomfortable smoking. Smoking causes dental havoc, well more than tea. And Americans drink just as much coffee and that certainly causes plenty of staining of teeth. Now, obviously not every adult in the UK smokes, I understand that, but it does seem more acceptable there. I am guessing with changing laws about smoking that will change over a generation.

When I turned 40 my dentist told me to start whitening my teeth twice a year. He said to use the strips from the store and buy the cheapest ones. I was (am) of an age where he couldn't get them any better with yearly cleaning and it was time to start. I bleach them about once a year, usually right after a cleaning, and they look great. They aren't blinding white or fake looking, they just look like they do when I get back from the dentist, only for a longer period of time. FWIW, I also dye my greying hair. I don't see the difference between the two. It doesn't mean that if you do one you must do the other, but it seems odd to judge one and not the other. And if you are over 40 and have never used whitening strips, I highly recommend them.

And I know far more than 2 adults who have had to have braces later in life to correct jaw issues. Both my kids needed braces, absolutely, but while they were in there I insisted some cosmetic issues were also dealt with. It cost the same, and the braces had to be on, so why not? What's wrong with that? My younger son's 'cosmetic' issue also has a correlation with sinus problems and he is my sinus problem kid. Seems like it would be foolish not to try to fix that. I didn't expect 'perfect' teeth, but I do expect to be able to see my several thousand dollars worth of work, lol. I tell each kid they have a trip to Europe in their mouth, so they had better wear the damn retainer to keep them looking good.

My mom had braces in her fifties! She had straight teeth for years and her dentist left her wisdom teeth alone, claiming they wouldn't do any damage. They kept pushing against her other teeth until there were significant crowding issues. So they were removed and braces applied. She was so happy when the treatment was over but wished she hadn't taken the advice to leave her teeth alone when she was younger and it was an easier and cheaper fix.

One of my kids had such a severe cross-bite since front teeth originally came in as an infant that we were told the jaw would not grow properly, and it also affected speech development. Braces were a necessity. We're still waiting to see about braces on the bottom for severe overcrowding in a tiny bottom jaw.

Another had four permanent teeth removed and three years of braces for major overcrowding, just like I did.

One had only a sublingual arch to widen the jaw.

One has needed nothing and has perfectly straight teeth like dh.

They are all different. Medicaid doesn't pay for cosmetic orthodontics.

Edited by Amy in NH
  • Like 1

I thought the whole bad British teeth thing was mainly defensiveness/media thing about the whole fluoride issue as most UK places do not add it. I remember hearing it as a kid before the whole neon teeth as mandatory became a thing and it was well known teeth came in a wide range of colours.

I get the study but there seems to be a lot more variables as others have noticed. I am a USian and moved to the UK when I was 17. When I arrived, my teeth were a mess - I have a medical condition which commonly comes with weak teeth and depression in my teen years resulted in less than great self care. In the last week I was in the US, I went to two dentists because my mouth hurt. Both did all the xrays and such and said that they'd prefer to wait, likely just my TMJ issues. I literally had holes in the front of some of my teeth that made eating and teeth brushing painful but they were written off as cosmetic issues that just needed whitening. I came to the UK, months later when all the paperwork was in I went to an NHS dentist and when he heard that he wasn't surprised. He was annoyed but not surprised - he'd been a dentist in several places [he wasn't a Brit either] and the wait and see is more common when dealing with more difficult insurance companies and what I needed - multiple small white fillings - was likely to be harder to get a profit from with difficult insurers. What I'd spent my late teen years hoping to get fixed, he dealt with in fortnightly appointments over a couple of months dealing with though measuring ust by missing teeth I would be measured the same at that point. When my molars have cracked in my adult years here, I've always been asked whether I want to remove or attempt to save the tooth and as I almost always go for the former I now have 5-7 missing teeth including all my wisdom teeth though as a whole my teeth are in better shape now than ever before.

My British partner and I both have had braces - mine for gappy teeth and him for having eye teeth trying coming through the roof of his mouth [they're now where they should be though one is rather Britishly wonky]. He's had no fillings or pulled teeth or anything than a tiny chip other than his wandering eye teeth. He had a bet going with his brother about making it to 30 without [as that is when his brother had his first] and my partner smashed through it rather smugly. I'm rather envious of his British teeth. 

My issue is that the teeth thing in the US has become so blurred between what's medically necessary vs cosmetic. Combine this with the inherent distrust I have of the "learned professions" here, it makes it necessary to get a second opinion about anything. An orthodontist told me my little 10 year old, who had the mouth of an 8 year old, whose baby teeth had not fallen out yet, needed jaw extensions. Which, of course he didn't. Such nonsense all around.

Also, I can't make out why so many kids need braces these days. I mean my kid definitely needs them, and we will definitely get them, but when I was growing up, it was the exception not the rule.

• Like 1

I had braces as a kid, as did all my siblings. Most of my friends also had them and we called it "stepford teeth" - we all had identical smiles, it was weird.

I know that for me, braces were not cosmetic as I had severe overcrowding (4 teeth pulled plus wisdom teeth pulled) and wonky eye teeth. But I was thrilled when, as an adult, my teeth have shifted a bit and I now have a gap between my front teeth. No more stepford teeth. :D

One of my kids has braces because at 10, he hadn't lost 1/2 his baby teeth yet. Time will tell if my other kids need it.

Is there something wrong with that?

I will be sending my children into adulthood with perfect teeth. They both have had a first phase to correct a cross-bite. DD has just one more baby tooth to lose and her last molars are erupting. It looks like her bite is well aligned now and if she has a second phase it will be for cosmetic reasons.

I will definitely pay for a second phase just to make her teeth perfectly straight.

But how do we decide what is "perfect?"  A lot of it is in comparison to what other people do, what seems normal.

If people tend to do a lot of cosmetic dental work, people's expectations change, and they see what were previously considered "normal" teeth as a problem.

So - people spend money that disn't need to be spent, kids are having procedures that are uncomfortable or even have risks.

And - it can actually end up looking weird, like people who have had botox or too much work of other kinds- they think they look better and "normal" when really they just like frozen-face people and fake.  Dental stuff isn't necessarily different - its not hard to spot teeth aligned by an orthodontist, or whitened, or with veneers.

• Like 1

I don't agree that most of orthodontia is bunk. My kids had very narrow palates and our orthodontist was able to expand both upper and lower palates which helped to make more room and align their teeth better. The before and after plaster molds showed a world of a difference.

It is also much easier to bite off a piece of food if the front teeth align and can touch. Mine are aligned but don't touch because my back molars are too long. I cannot easily take a bite of pizza, for instance, so I have to either cut it with a fork and knife or use my side teeth or tongue to bite it. Our kids' orthodontist noticed it and was able to prevent our kids from developing the same problem. Hooray for orthodontists, I say.

• Like 4

I don't agree that most of orthodontia is bunk. My kids had very narrow palates and our orthodontist was able to expand both upper and lower palates which helped to make more room and align their teeth better. The before and after plaster molds showed a world of a difference.

It is also much easier to bite off a piece of food if the front teeth align and can touch. Mine are aligned but don't touch because my back molars are too long. I cannot easily take a bite of pizza, for instance, so I have to either cut it with a fork and knife or use my side teeth or tongue to bite it. Our kids' orthodontist noticed it and was able to prevent our kids from developing the same problem. Hooray for orthodontists, I say.

I agree with you.  An overbite is mentioned sometimes as a cosmetic problem.  But, I remember the vet recommending against a particular puppy because he had an overbite.  The reasoning wasn't that he wouldn't make a good show dog or some other cosmetic reason.  It was that he wouldn't be as healthy long-term.  The vet had no monetary reason to say that.  He wasn't saying "Your puppy needs braces" and he didn't have another puppy he wanted my parents to take.  In fact, if he had any bias it would have been toward telling mom and dad what they wanted to hear.  I figure if it will be a problem for a dog, it would be a problem for a person.  Probably more so with our longer lifespan.  

My issue is that the teeth thing in the US has become so blurred between what's medically necessary vs cosmetic. Combine this with the inherent distrust I have of the "learned professions" here, it makes it necessary to get a second opinion about anything. An orthodontist told me my little 10 year old, who had the mouth of an 8 year old, whose baby teeth had not fallen out yet, needed jaw extensions. Which, of course he didn't. Such nonsense all around.

Also, I can't make out why so many kids need braces these days. I mean my kid definitely needs them, and we will definitely get them, but when I was growing up, it was the exception not the rule.

Yes.  Makes me crazy.  Now they are pushing for braces twice.  TWICE!!!!  As if one doesn't already have to rob a bank to afford them once.

• Like 1

Of course not all is bunk, but I have yet to meet a person who has not been told they need braces.

Not one.

Please, anyone here feel free to chime in if you know of anyone.

Of course not all is bunk, but I have yet to meet a person who has not been told they need braces.

Not one.

My husband and his brother both have never been told they need braces. They have very good alignment naturally. I wish our kids would have inherited that from him.

Anyway, that would be two.

• Like 1

My husband and his brother both have never been told they need braces. They have very good alignment naturally. I wish our kids would have inherited that from him.

Anyway, that would be two.

Well that's great.  And amazing.  I'm so glad to hear there was someone.

My husband was told he needs braces.  He has probably the straightest natural teeth I've never seen.  LOL

(He is from another country.)

What i want to know then, is if they are generally a necessity, why does no insurance company pay for them?  I mean yes I can imagine WHY because they would like to get away with not paying for a lot of things.  But there must be some reason why it never caught on that this is a very serious necessity and in those cases it should be paid for (which I agree they should be, but why aren't they?).  My GUESS is that often it is recommended for cosmetic reasons (more than medical).

Not one.

It's not just braces. I kid you not, one dentist "diagnosed" DH with some 15 cavities. The other dentist found...none.

It is a real problem now that I cannot find an orthodontist I trust, and I do need one for DS.

• Like 2

It's not just braces. I kid you not, one dentist "diagnosed" DH with some 15 cavities. The other dentist found...none.

It is a real problem now that I cannot find an orthodontist I trust, and I do need one for DS.

That happened to my husband!  No joke.  He pretty much told him he had a cavity in every single tooth.  My husband has had literally one cavity in his life!!  He wanted to drill into every tooth!  So I told my husband he should get a second opinion.  That did not sound right.  So he went to another guy and that guy didn't say he had any cavities.  He has now been going to him for almost 10 years and has had only one tiny filling in ten years.  Pretty good for a guy that had a mouth full of cavities 10 years ago!

I think this is freaking criminal!

• Like 2

Well "pay" for them.  $1000 does not even put a tiny dent into the cost.

That is the typical amount if someone has any kind of dental insurance at all.

Yeah, most places won't pay much, but insurance doesn't generally pay much for dental work either, like cavities, missing teeth, periodontal work -- which is more essential in most cases. At least our insurance does not. I'm not sure why it's not covered.

Yeah, most places won't pay much, but insurance doesn't generally pay much for dental work either, like cavities, missing teeth, periodontal work -- which is more essential in most cases. At least our insurance does not. I'm not sure why it's not covered.

ours is good with some stuff

Only once I had amazing dental.  That was when I worked for a health/dental insurance company.  I should have gone crazy.  LOL

• Like 1

I definitely think there's been some kind of shift in dentistry in recent years.  When we moved, we had to find a new dentist.  The first guy I went to took a zillion x-rays and immediately began talking about dental implants.  My old dentist always told me my teeth were in great shape, few cavities, etc.  I kept looking.

The dentist we eventually found hasn't mentioned dental implants to me once.  She does, however, seem to be trying to replace my gray fillings with the white fillings, slowly, over time.  Which is fine, probably, at my age. 

My dh who had the braces in his teens and also drinks sodas and coffee and eats ice, otoh, just had the second step of his first dental implant today.  Good grief, as he was describing, in agonizing detail, the whole process to me, I finally said "  :w00t:  STOP!  I don't want to hear all that stuff!  It sounds horrible - and I might actually need one of those wretched things one day.'  Seriously, it sounded more like a mining operation than a dental procedure.  :svengo:  

LOL. Did he show you photos? A brother of mine had to get implants for two of his lower incisors and also -- bone from a cadaver -- to help regrow a small part of his jaw that had dissolved. He kept sending us photos of the whole gory procedure. Yuck! He also got braces once the implants were in. 

I hope he doesn't get surgery anywhere else on his body that he feels compelled to document and share.

I definitely think there's been some kind of shift in dentistry in recent years.  When we moved, we had to find a new dentist.  The first guy I went to took a zillion x-rays and immediately began talking about dental implants.  My old dentist always told me my teeth were in great shape, few cavities, etc.  I kept looking.

The dentist we eventually found hasn't mentioned dental implants to me once.  She does, however, seem to be trying to replace my gray fillings with the white fillings, slowly, over time.  Which is fine, probably, at my age. 

My dh who had the braces in his teens and also drinks sodas and coffee and eats ice, otoh, just had the second step of his first dental implant today.  Good grief, as he was describing, in agonizing detail, the whole process to me, I finally said "  :w00t:  STOP!  I don't want to hear all that stuff!  It sounds horrible - and I might actually need one of those wretched things one day.'  Seriously, it sounded more like a mining operation than a dental procedure.  :svengo:  

Oh my.

Not one.

All 3 of my older kids were evaluated by our orthodontist and only 1 was deemed necessary. (Only 1/2 baby teeth have fallen out and he's 10). DS12 will need them if we want to correct overbite, but it was classified as optional that way. DS8 looks good so far but we'll check again in a few years.

• Like 2

Not one.

My youngest had upper braces to correct a tooth that was very far behind the others, leaving a gap that the other teeth might shift into. The ortho was very clear that the teeth also might not shift into the space; if they did, it would be a bigger problem to correct, but we could certainly wait and see if that was our choice. 

He evaluated my oldest at the beginning and end of her sister's treatment, and said she was fine and didn't need braces. 

Going back in time, my brother had braces but they were not suggested for the other three siblings. 

I didn't need a dentist or an orthodontist to tell me that DS could use braces.  His teeth lined up well in the back, but his top adult teeth were protruding in the front, so much so that he could not close his lips easily (ie without thinking about it and doing it on purpose) as well as he never bit into anything with his front teeth, he always used the sides.  (Not to the mention the huge gap, and one of them being rotated, and one of the teeth being higher up.)  I could see that myself when he was 7, and so I was just waiting for the proper time.  When he was 8 the dentist brought it up, and we had an initial consultation with the orthodontist a few months later, but we had to wait another 9-10 months for one of his front teeth to grow in.  He probably could have got braces on last fall, but a few rounds of being sick and vacations and I didn't call again until earlier this year.  He was 10 by the time he got them on, and he has spent 8 months this year in Phase 1 of braces (just on top - brackets on the 4 front teeth and connected to a banded adult tooth in back on each side.)  He is getting them off next week!  

However, the orthodontist said that it was up to me... we could have done Phase 1 and then possibly Phase 2 down the road, or we could just wait until he had all his adult teeth and do it then.  Honestly, I didn't see any reason to wait.  He does tkd and I was always afraid that with his teeth protruding so much that if he ever got hit in the face that it would just not be good.  There was huge change in his teeth after just the first appointment or two!

As far as cost, insurance paid a little bit, maybe $800?  However, the cost of Phase 1 will be applied to the total cost of Phase 2, as long as we go back to the same orthodontist for Phase 2,  so it does not cost extra to do a Phase 1.  Whether or not he will "need" Phase 2 is still up in the air (he still has 6 baby teeth left, and lots of adult teeth yet to come in) however I'm guessing he will probably need it.  But as long as we stay in the same area, I don't see a reason not to do a Phase 2 even if it's "just" cosmetic, especially since we've already paid a good portion toward it.

I basically had to beg my parents to get braces when I was a teen, so I'm sensitive to this stuff.  I had a big overbite, and I *did* need them (ortho said my lower teeth could cause bone loss in my upper with my bite), but of course my desire was more cosmetic.  We didn't have a lot of money, but my parents made it work for me.

Edited by Ellyndria

That happened to my husband! No joke. He pretty much told him he had a cavity in every single tooth. My husband has had literally one cavity in his life!! He wanted to drill into every tooth! So I told my husband he should get a second opinion. That did not sound right. So he went to another guy and that guy didn't say he had any cavities. He has now been going to him for almost 10 years and has had only one tiny filling in ten years. Pretty good for a guy that had a mouth full of cavities 10 years ago!

I think this is freaking criminal!

Something similar happened to me. My dentist said I had four cavities and one (or maybe two) would require a crown. He estimated $2,000 dollars of work and wanted me to sign the estimate to agree to treatment. I was skeptical and got a second opinion. No crown. No four cavities. I had one small cavity he repaired for under $200.

I also think this is criminal.

• Like 1

Not one.

Neither my brother nor I were told we needed braces.  Of course we're both in our 50's, so that was a long time ago.  More recently -- my nephew was told he didn't need them, and one of DS's friends was told that if she chose to get them it would be purely for cosmetic reasons (at her mother's insistence she did get them).

All 3 of my older kids were evaluated by our orthodontist and only 1 was deemed necessary. (Only 1/2 baby teeth have fallen out and he's 10).

I'm curious why your dentist thinks it's unusual that only half the baby teeth have fallen out by 10? That's how it was with my son. At just about 13, he still has several baby teeth to lose. He will probably need/get braces, but our dentist isn't remotely concerned about it until all those baby teeth fall out. As a bonus, the extra time is giving his jaw time to grow and his teeth are straightening to some extent on their own. So when he does eventually get braces, it shouldn't be for long ( I do consider cosmetic purposes essential when it comes to teeth).

Not one.

Neither of my siblings had braces. I was the only one. Lots of people had them when I was growing up but certainly not everyone. Those who didn't wanted them desperately, though--it seen as a rite of passage in middle school. Lol.

I see some kids with braces at the middle schools where my son plays sports, but most don't. I get the sense they aren't aggressively pushed in this area (our dentist doesn't, at any rate).

I'm curious why your dentist thinks it's unusual that only half the baby teeth have fallen out by 10? That's how it was with my son. At just about 13, he still has several baby teeth to lose. He will probably need/get braces, but our dentist isn't remotely concerned about it until all those baby teeth fall out. As a bonus, the extra time is giving his jaw time to grow and his teeth are straightening to some extent on their own. So when he does eventually get braces, it shouldn't be for long ( I do consider cosmetic purposes essential when it comes to teeth).

Well, yes, it is mor e complicated than that. They're stuck up there - he literally has 1/2 & 1/2 (left side/right side) baby teeth/adult teeth. They are *supposed* to fall out at roughly the same order & pace as they originally came in. His are not *at all*. That was a clue that there was a problem. Upon further investigation, he has top row adult teeth that have been growing up instead of down & also has an additional tooth up there. So he has expanders right now & there has been progress with his adult teeth beginning to move in the proper direction, as is the goal.

So, yes, it is more complicated than that. I was trying to explain briefly. :p

• Like 1

Not one.

My third.

First two had terrible bites.

Dentist says that my third probably wont have to have them, despite an interesting gap between her front teeth.

The thing about the extreme overbite that my older two have had is that the teeth clank together for so many years and it wears the teeth wrongly. Family member who have that same bite report chipping and thinning on their front teeth from so many years of the teeth wearing on one another.

I was so glad to get it fixed because I didn't want my girls to have that issue when they are 40/50 years old. I've seen the smiles of relatives with the same issue and man, it isn't nice.

All of mine will have them. Oldest had minimal issues. Dd#1 was in braces early to literally save her teeth from being pushed out. She may still have a gum graft in her future. DS#2 is crowded. Not to a point that it's really unsightly, but it does cause issues with hygiene. Dd#3 is probably missing 9 like me, but the babies all fell out. She'll get some sort of appliance to maintain space, and hold fake teeth until she's old enough for implants. Boo will also be starting treatment this fall for a cross bite, over crowding, etc. Her baby teeth were so crowded, the front two were completely sideways. The cross bite also wore down her front teeth horribly.

This fall will not be cheap! But, if anyone tried to tell me this wasn't necessary, I'd probably look at them as if they were growing a 3rd eye. Living without teeth is not fun, or merely cosmetic. It is more difficult (and at times painful) to chew with less than half of your molars. My mom has slightly crooked teeth, nothing really noticeable. My dad, as well. My teeth were never crowded, or particularly crooked. I'm just missing 9 of them. My only gripe is why can't the kids with big teeth, overcrowded mouths be the ones missing the permanent teeth? DD#2 that is missing all the teeth? She had perfectly spaced teeth, and plenty of room.

Many dentists seem to be using a different method to see the cavities now - the x-rays and I think a special light - and then they want to fill everything that shows even a little decay.  My youngest has softer teeth and had a few spots like this.  OUr dentist suggested we fill them just because at that point it was more like painting them and there would be no drilling, and he was already scared of dentists.  As he's become older, he doesn't seem to have the problem with decay any more.

Many of the orthodontists here now seem to belong to big corporate clinics, and I think that is part of the problem.  Corporate interests sem to drive the medical approach the orthodontist takes.  Just like the corporate vet clinics.

My third.

First two had terrible bites.

Dentist says that my third probably wont have to have them, despite an interesting gap between her front teeth.

The thing about the extreme overbite that my older two have had is that the teeth clank together for so many years and it wears the teeth wrongly. Family member who have that same bite report chipping and thinning on their front teeth from so many years of the teeth wearing on one another.

I was so glad to get it fixed because I didn't want my girls to have that issue when they are 40/50 years old. I've seen the smiles of relatives with the same issue and man, it isn't nice.

Maybe he felt he sucked enough blood out of you after two.  LOL

I'm just a bit sore because I cannot afford them.

Many dentists seem to be using a different method to see the cavities now - the x-rays and I think a special light - and then they want to fill everything that shows even a little decay.  My youngest has softer teeth and had a few spots like this.  OUr dentist suggested we fill them just because at that point it was more like painting them and there would be no drilling, and he was already scared of dentists.  As he's become older, he doesn't seem to have the problem with decay any more.

Many of the orthodontists here now seem to belong to big corporate clinics, and I think that is part of the problem.  Corporate interests sem to drive the medical approach the orthodontist takes.  Just like the corporate vet clinics.

Yes I call it the gold digging machine. 

Not one.

Me and my husband :)

Also, our oldest with the crossbite? Her orthodontist actually recommended delaying any further treatment until she was in middle school and had all her teeth in, precisely so he wouldn't need to do braces twice. The palate is acceptably spaced now but it left her teeth a bit wonky. I appreciated how conservative he was on this.

That is the reason I drive about 50 miles to our dentist.  I likely drive by a 100's of honest, good dentists because that is 50 fully developed miles.   But, I KNOW I had one try to cheat me, and I KNOW that the one I drive to is good and honest.  I needed some work, but the spamming dentist said I needed 14K in work and I really needed about $900 in work.  

He will also use the x-rays and special lights to see cavities, but then he checks them out himself.  So far one of the "we need to watch this area" has needed to be filled, and the other two have improved on their own.