Menu

How would you rate yourself and your teaching methods?

deerforest

I think about this a lot. If DD attended school instead of homeschooled, and her teacher was using the same curriculum, teaching methodologies, and attitude as I was, would I be happy with her education?

My biggest challenges are when I get frustrated with DD's perfectionism. When we knock heads because she simply won't try because she's afraid to fail, I know my reactions sometimes make it worse. I'm aware of this, and she and I talk about this a lot because it's a huge growth area for us both. But, I'd probably lose my mind if her teacher reacted like I do sometimes. So, I feel like I need to confess this! I just want her to TRY! I don't care if she gets it wrong, just do the work! Like, I said, it's a growth area.

I'm generally happy with our curriculum choices, and I think they are well-matched to her learning style, and I'm happy to make changes because neither of us are happy using curricula that either of us hate. We have excellent high-level discussions, Neither of us like curriculum that has her working entirely on her own. We have 1:1 and independent work in every subject. She is not a worksheet type of learner, and that's not the type of teacher I am nor want her to have. So, I think we're getting top marks here. 

Her output also continues to be a growth area too. This year has seen huge gains here, but her 2e issues have to do with processing speed. So, I am happy that I've been able to gradually build up her ability to generate output. She might not quite be at grade level for quantity, but she's beyond for quality, and I'm happy with that now. I would be disappointed if I saw a lot of poor quality work. Timed tests are still an impossibility for us, and I'm going to start tackling that next year as she edges closer to SAT (though she will qualify for accommodations). So, I'd give us a mixed score for quantity and quality, but since my focus is on quality, I'd rank us pretty good here, especially since I have not put any emphasis on testing yet.

So, I think overall, I'm pretty happy with how things are going right now. How about you? Would you be happy with yourself as a teacher?

• Like 1

I find it impossible to answer the question.

If a classroom teacher were doing things the same way I did with my own kids, the outcome for the class would be disastrous - because the task required of a classroom teacher does not compare with that of a homeschooling parent. I do not have to manage a large group, keep discipline, differentiate between students of widely varying abilities, adhere to some centrally prescribed curriculum, coax unwilling students to do their work.

I have the luxury of facilitating learning and do not have to force my students to work. I have gifted students, one of them extremely motivated and ambitious. I do not rely on scripted curriculum, can use my kids' interests and internal motivation, have the freedom to tailor the materials and subjects to their interests and needs. I can hand them a challenging math text written to the student and expect them to work through it with me as a backup for questions, socratic questioning, additional explanations. I can expect them to follow and understand a college level audio lecture. I can hand them a book and they actually read it.

None of this would be possible for a classroom teacher with a regular class. She has a much much harder job than I do, and I do not possess the expertise to do what a teacher does.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 5

Pathetic. Neither DH nor I enjoys teaching even though we were good at tutoring math and science for pocket money while at college. We agreed to an outsourcing budget before our kids were kindergarten age.

As for timed test, I'll know how that goes when my slower processing speed child take the ACT for talent search purpose next summer.

The high school where my oldest took the ACT put all the kids who qualify for accomodations with the talent search kids in the same room.

I have a teaching degree.  But after 2 1/2 years in a classroom and now 12-ish years as a homeschooler, I have discovered that I am not a very good teacher, but I am a good tutor.

Teaching one-on-one or one-on-two seems to be my strength.  Standing in front of a group of teenagers, maybe not so much.

• Like 1

I've taught in the classroom, hybrid (part classroom, part online self-directed), live online, and online where they are self-directed but I answer emails and grade. This year I'm full-time doing live online and online self-directed classes. I teach children from age 9 through high school and college students.

But I'd be very unhappy with the classroom for either of mine. Home education is broader and far more flexible than the classroom. I know that I've done much, much more at home than even the prep schools in my area.

The underlying theory is the same, but how it runs is different.

At home I can have them work right next to me and explain things multiple ways. I can have them repeat a lesson, do a half lesson, or skip a lesson. It's up to me. We can change things around to be interest-led or stick with conventional materials. I can outsource or teach myself. We can do subjects and levels of study that aren't offered locally. At home, we can repeat it or change curriculum until we achieve mastery.

With a group, you have far less leeway. The class has to follow a set schedule, material, and assignments. Sometimes I have to keep going even if some are confused. Sometimes I have to recommend tutoring because we can't go that deep in class. And I fail students for not doing the work. 

Not everyone should homeschool, but I remain convinced that it is a very good choice for those of us that can put it together. You can't beat one-on-one attention.

Edited by G5052
  • Like 2

I think about this a lot. If DD attended school instead of homeschooled, and her teacher was using the same curriculum, teaching methodologies, and attitude as I was, would I be happy with her education?

My biggest challenges are when I get frustrated with DD's perfectionism. When we knock heads because she simply won't try because she's afraid to fail, I know my reactions sometimes make it worse. I'm aware of this, and she and I talk about this a lot because it's a huge growth area for us both. But, I'd probably lose my mind if her teacher reacted like I do sometimes. So, I feel like I need to confess this! I just want her to TRY! I don't care if she gets it wrong, just do the work! Like, I said, it's a growth area.

I too find the question difficult to answer. The few times I have taught groups (Bible studies, children's Sunday school etc...), I find the dynamic and prep is something very different from homeschooling.

However, the area that DOES resonate with me is about reactions--what kind of tone, words, actions a teacher used in this regard would matter to me a great deal--and asking myself whether I would be happy if a teacher used the tone etc... I had just used did help me realize quickly when I needed to ask for forgiveness to make things right with my child, and helped to curb and temper my future reactions. I think I learned to be more patient and to explore additional teaching methods because of asking myself questions like this one.

That said--have you ever told your daughter that what you really want is just for her to try, and that you don't care if she gets it wrong? This is a tough concept for kids to get, but letting her know that she meets your criteria by trying might be really freeing to her if she doesn't already know that.

Also, some kids are such perfectionists that they get angry when they make mistakes. My son explained to me--when he got older and was able to put things into words more--that when this happens, he wasn't upset with me, but with himself--even if he expressed the anger towards me. Over time, he learned better methods of dealing with that frustration, and more appropriate ways of responding--but it's all a process, and really that's true for both of us. 

Anyway...show yourself and your daughter much grace and just keep the lines of communication open and keep striving to grow. It's so great that you are thinking about these things!

• Like 3

I've taught in the classroom, hybrid (part classroom, part online self-directed), live online, and online where they are self-directed but I answer emails and grade. This year I'm full-time doing live online and online self-directed classes. I teach children from age 9 through high school and college students.

But I'd be very unhappy with the classroom for either of mine. Home education is broader and far more flexible than the classroom. I know that I've done much, much more at home than even the prep schools in my area.

The underlying theory is the same, but how it runs is different.

At home I can have them work right next to me and explain things multiple ways. I can have them repeat a lesson, do a half lesson, or skip a lesson. It's up to me. We can change things around to be interest-led or stick with conventional materials. I can outsource or teach myself. We can do subjects and levels of study that aren't offered locally. At home, we can repeat it or change curriculum until we achieve mastery.

With a group, you have far less leeway. The class has to follow a set schedule, material, and assignments. Sometimes I have to keep going even if some are confused. Sometimes I have to recommend tutoring because we can't go that deep in class. And I fail students for not doing the work.

Not everyone should homeschool, but I remain convinced that it is a very good choice for those of us that can put it together. You can't beat one-on-one attention.

I love this. I feel the same. Not comparable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That said--have you ever told your daughter that what you really want is just for her to try, and that you don't care if she gets it wrong? This is a tough concept for kids to get, but letting her know that she meets your criteria by trying might be really freeing to her if she doesn't already know that.

Also, some kids are such perfectionists that they get angry when they make mistakes. My son explained to me--when he got older and was able to put things into words more--that when this happens, he wasn't upset with me, but with himself--even if he expressed the anger towards me. Over time, he learned better methods of dealing with that frustration, and more appropriate ways of responding--but it's all a process, and really that's true for both of us. 

Anyway...show yourself and your daughter much grace and just keep the lines of communication open and keep striving to grow. It's so great that you are thinking about these things!

Yes, of course I do. :-) We have a very open communication about this. It's just a real struggle for her.

• Like 1

I think I phrased this incorrectly. I do not expect a teacher to be able to do what I am doing. I too have a gifted kid with 2e issues that would be extremely challenging for all involved. It's why we homeschool. So, I worded this wrong.

I was looking at it from the perspective of finding a way to objectively evaluate what I am doing. 

If I stepped outside and looked into our overall experience, am I happy with it? How's that?

Edited by deerforest

I used to be so hard on myself. Not anymore. I felt a lot of pressure from outsiders to be something I'm not. I used to think of it as pressure to be "more" and "better", but now I don't even feel those words apply.

I access what is plentiful in my current environment. I use what is here to teach the students that are here.

I have found peace with myself and what I can accomplish. I am enough. What I do is enough.

• Like 5

I don't really see myself as a teacher.  I'm more like a facilitator and cheerleader.  I suppose that yes I do show my kids how to do stuff, but it is very different than what a classroom teacher does.

I try to keep a good attitude towards learning because that is one thing that I personally value in a teacher.  I don't like teachers who don't like what they are doing and have zero enthusiasm for the subject. 

• Like 2

OP, I think I understand your question.  You're not asking us to compare ourselves against teachers in a classroom.  You're saying that as home educators, how well do we think we're doing our job?  If someone else came in and educated our kids the way that *we* do, would we be ok with that?  Or if we saw someone else treating/teaching our kids the way we do, would be be upset?

I have thought about this idea (how well am I doing as a teacher), especially when I lose patience.  If a teacher lost patience with a student the way that I have done with my kids, I'd be really upset.  That realization has helped me to do my very best to be patient even when I want to pull out my hair. 

I think I'm ok as a teacher to my kids but there are areas I wish I could improve.  A little example: I'm a person who likes to get a job done quickly and with a lot of focus.  And when I'm working quickly and with focus, I forget to smile.  I realized it must be pretty terrible to have a driven, unsmiling teacher look at you all day long.  So, now I make a point of loosening the focus sometimes and smiling at the kids. 

When my ds10 FINALLY gets an answer right in math, I used to say, "Finally!"  But I realized that makes him feel bad.  So now I give a simple, "That's right," or "you got it," without the tone that conveyed, "That shouldn't have taken so long, what's wrong with you??"

I'm trying to figure out how best to teach my ds13 right now.  His emotions turn on a dime.  Some days he'll do something that's a little goofy and funny and we all affectionately laugh about it.  The next day he'll do the same sort of thing and if I show affectionate amusement at the goofy thing he gets highly offended.  HIGHLY. In dealing with him I've often thought, "How would a teacher handle a bunch of emotional 13 year olds?"  They would probably never laugh when they're goofy, even if the kids are ok with it because they'd know that next time the kids won't be ok with it.

I'm sure there are other things but...dinner.  Gotta cook dinner.  I like this question.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 1

Oh, and for my kids I'm not a facilitator.  My kids aren't self-driven in the slightest.  It's an endless source of frustration to me.  So, I had to realize that if my kids are going to learn, then I do have to teach.  I am not one of those (lucky) people who can give assignments and then do something else while the kids complete them. 

I sit with the kids, read the lessons, come up with my own ways to describe the lessons, and THEN the kids will work on their own.  Maybe I'm not a "teacher" since that infers a classroom of kids, but I'm at least a tutor.  But not a facilitator.  I wish!  :)  My life would be easier. 

• Like 3

Oh, and for my kids I'm not a facilitator.  My kids aren't self-driven in the slightest.  It's an endless source of frustration to me.  So, I had to realize that if my kids are going to learn, then I do have to teach.  I am not one of those (lucky) people who can give assignments and then do something else while the kids complete them. 

I sit with the kids, read the lessons, come up with my own ways to describe the lessons, and THEN the kids will work on their own.  Maybe I'm not a "teacher" since that infers a classroom of kids, but I'm at least a tutor.  But not a facilitator.  I wish!  :)  My life would be easier. 

Yes, and you explained what I was getting at so much better in your other post too. I too am not just a facilitator. DD REALLY likes to learn with me. She loves to discuss things and banter back and forth. Maybe I'm a co-conspirator in her learning.

I asked her the other day if she thought she'd ever get to the point where she would just take over her learning. She looked at me totally broken heartedly and asked why we would homeschool if I didn't want to work with her! Then she asked if she could go to college online. LOL

• Like 2

Yes, and you explained what I was getting at so much better in your other post too. I too am not just a facilitator. DD REALLY likes to learn with me. She loves to discuss things and banter back and forth. Maybe I'm a co-conspirator in her learning.

I asked her the other day if she thought she'd ever get to the point where she would just take over her learning. She looked at me totally broken heartedly and asked why we would homeschool if I didn't want to work with her! Then she asked if she could go to college online. LOL

LOL, my son used to ask if he could homeschool college!

I'm with your daughter in that, at least for the early years, I found interaction with my kids for most subjects was not only needed but something we all valued. I read aloud, asked questions, explained things as needed, we discussed, and we learned together. (Ha, just today I learned why buses have such a large steering wheel! I never knew!) I did find that in junior high and especially in high school, that changed and my kids naturally started working more independently. However, that didn't mean I didn't work with them--far from it. I still spent at least an hour a day with each one, going over work, discussing topics, asking how each subject was going, explaining tricky things, engaging in what they were learning and trying to understand the material myself, and so on. Sometimes we end up digging into a book together to find an answer. As I tell my daughter, "We're intelligent women. We can figure this out!" Much of high school is about learning together, but there is more facilitating and coaching at that point. I also spent another 30-45 minutes reading aloud to them throughout high school, and another 30-60 minutes reading and checking their work. So, the involvement continued but also changed in some respects for us. 

I think the original comparison to a teacher threw me off because my view of a teacher is someone who already knows the material well and can teach from head knowledge (with prep as needed. I know people who can easily teach off the top of their heads, and make a lesson out of thin air. It's a true gift that astounds me. When I think of a teacher, I think of these people--and that's not me! There are other really good teachers who put together a great lesson with planning and prep, and they lecture, demonstrate etc... and do a great job as well. That's not exactly me either.) I could do that in a few areas, but most of the time, the information I know is not organized in my mind in a way so that I could teach in the way that I would expect an outside teacher to do. Or, the information is not in my mind and I'm really learning alongside my child but with a broader knowledge-base and more "hooks" on which to hang information and make connections. All that to say, I really have no way of comparing what I do to what I would expect from a teacher (other than, as I said, things like how to treat a student). I choose resources that I can follow and can tweak as we go as needed, but I'd say the books and resources provide the basis of the teaching, and I just explain as needed, or help my kids make connections to other things they've learned, or discuss along the way. Sometimes, as my kids got older, my "teaching method" involved me being more like a student and my student being more like the teacher. I asked questions about things I didn't know or understand, and my kids, in striving to figure out how to answer, learned the material more thoroughly. 

If you are asking, do I think that we did a good job of home-educating our children using a variety of resources and approaches and meeting their particular needs, then I would say overall yes, I'm very pleased and have no regrets. I think there may be instances where my kids might have had a better education in a certain area if they had had the benefit of a teacher who was an expert in that particular area. But even doing that is an unrealistic comparison (one doesn't always get that "great" teacher who is an expert in that area, though one might often get some pretty good teachers). As an overall educational experience and taking everything into account, I'd rate our homeschool as very successful. 

• Like 1

I have no idea how I'm doing to be totally honest. I can say I have thrown myself hook, line and sinker into this homeschool thing but whether all of my efforts are achiving a higher degree of education than they would be receiving elsewhere or if they are truly meeting their full potential I have no idea. I have to remind myself constantly that we started off in public school and pulled them out for a reason. I know my younger daughter needs a one on one due education due to her ADHD. She has shot up academically from where she was at in school. My older daughter did really good in school. I like that they are learning about liberal arts at home since they never did that at school. The emphasis seemed to be language arts and math. I think I spent our entire first year trying to recreate everything they were doing at school at home. I had to let go of that and just do our own thing. I was really sold on the idea of classical education and I was/am convinced it leads to a well rounded solid education but whether I'm even achiving a classical education I don't know. I just give it my best and keep going.

Edited by Momto4inSoCal

My oldest and I think similarly so on the whole, I'd rate myself pretty well. But if another teacher came in and taught the way I do, I'd be pretty upset. Why would I pay someone to change 2 dirty diapers and quell 2 tantrums in the middle of a single math lesson? To say "oh go take a break because I can't find your reading book and I don't have time to look for it until after I xyz" lol. We do well considering the 5, 3 and 1 year olds under foot but we could cover more in two hours than we typically do all day if I had someone to watch the littles. My DS needs almost entirely 1:1 because he's still a somewhat weak reader and very weak at writing. There are always a few bad days but I value our relationships over any particular lessons.

Preschool to 4th grade; FIAR and Sonlight mama, hours reading and discussing on couch, pretty awesome

5-7th grade : mostly horrible in between time of training kids to be independent but meeting with them daily and still teaching where they are weak.....but also some awesome moments of course but mostly not fun

8- up- outsource, (online and local), professional cheuffer.

Lots of time discipling, encouraging, listening, helping and occasional consequences, mostly mom and not teacher

• Like 1

I have no idea how I'm doing to be totally honest. I can say I have thrown myself hook, line and sinker into this homeschool thing but whether all of my efforts are achiving a higher degree of education than they would be receiving elsewhere or if they are truly meeting their full potential I have no idea. I have to remind myself constantly that we started off in public school and pulled them out for a reason. I know my younger daughter needs a one on one due education due to her ADHD. She has shot up academically from where she was at in school. My older daughter did really good in school. I like that they are learning about liberal arts at home since they never did that at school. The emphasis seemed to be language arts and math. I think I spent our entire first year trying to recreate everything they were doing at school at home. I had to let go of that and just do our own thing. I was really sold on the idea of classical education and I was/am convinced it leads to a well rounded solid education but whether I'm even achiving a classical education I don't know. I just give it my best and keep going.

Sounds to me like you're doing a great job. 

I remember being nervous about whether I could do a good job with high school especially--and then one year I saw a statistic that less than 25% of kids who take the ACT nation-wide meet the benchmark of college-readiness in all 4 subject areas. That's when I thought, academically this risk is worth it. (I always felt it was worth it for other reasons--spiritual, family needs, character, togetherness, flexibility etc...) and I *thought* it would be better academically (one on one etc...). But sometimes, especially if you have a struggling student, you can really question yourself. I found that stat freeing though. I figured--we can probably beat those odds, and if we don't, we're in good company and my kids have still had the benefit of my investment of time and love over the years--nothing can replace that. You are doing your best and pouring yourself into giving your kids a solid education. Take joy in that :-).

• Like 1

I was horrible and that's why my kids are in school. I would be a 2/10 primarily due to lack of patience, lack of ability to let kids learn at their own pace if I'm supervising (though in THEORY I believe in this--one of those "easier said than done" things), over-explaining, over-correcting.

I am a crappy teacher of my own children. But then, they are extremely social and hyper and well-suited to public school.

I think I would be much better at homeschooling a teenager, mainly because I don't have to homeschool a teenager right now, LOL.

In a lot of areas, I feel like I'm a really good one on one teacher, and I feel like I'd be really pleased with someone teaching the way I do. I feel like I'm really quick at finding a different way to explain a math concept or to puzzle through the Latin translation, and I hope that someone else teaching my children would do the same, to explain the answer instead of just giving it and shrugging at the why, or to use different words and images to explain something.

At the same time, I give myself grace that I would not give someone I hired to teach my child, whether privately or at a school. Homeschooling IS my job, but so is parenting my toddlers, and I just plain need to spend some time every day preparing meals and doing laundry and running errands and all of the other things that I do. I recognize that sometimes I'm not able to give any of it my ideal, and I have to settle for good enough. And in their educations, I feel like my good enough really is pretty decent. But if I were hiring someone else? Yeah, I'd expect better than good enough.

ETA: I also find it hard to find the right balance of good mom and good teacher. Good mom understands tween and teen emotions and realizes that academics isn't always the most important thing in a day. Good teacher knows that it's important to teach them to press on even when they don't feel like it and keeps the big academic picture in mind. Sometimes I'm not sure which one I should heed.

Edited by happypamama
  • Like 1

i think one things that hurts us so much is comparisons. Don't look at the Internet or the most amazing people in your homeschool group and then call yourself a failure.

Just keep doing what you think is right and working hard and loving hard day by day. That's all anyone can do. Yes it requires hard work, long term effort, perseverance, patience and sometimes trying new things to improve sitiatuons...but just like anything else- all you really have is today. Every day is a new day.

• Like 1

I think about this a lot actually. I'm sure too much...academically I think I have guided them well. Top notch curricula, we stay on top of our studies, are consistent, output is good, we are very active in our homeschool group so plenty of field trips and fun activities, older two play piano, all three in sports, active at church...great kids.

So I should be happy right? Yeah not so much. I have often had to push my kids to get where they are...it has not been sunshines and rainbows. I love my kids but they certainly frustrate me! I yell too often and lose my patience too easily. I would be furious if a teacher spoke to my kids how I do sometimes. It's a weakness I am very aware of. I am trying...improving even, but I hate that about myself. I often wonder if they would be better off in a classroom where they were not yelled at all the time...but as the years go on, I rarely get that way with dd anymore...seems like ds is in that stage these days...8 year old boys are tough. However, no one loves them like I do either. I may yell some, but I kiss and hug and love more. I care more than anyone else in the world.

As a task oriented person, I have tried to be super aware of that and focus extra hard on the relationship with my kids...that is of utmost importance.

As far as teaching abilities. I think I am actually a pretty good teacher. I teach kids often in large group settings at church. I have a masters in Christian education, have taught high school Spanish and in many capacities in churches and para church organizations. All that said, I do absolutely no prep when teaching my own kids. I prep in summers and breaks and have everything organized and ready to go....but I don't daily prep for lessons. We open it up and go. I am good at on the fly redirections and helping them get things if they are stuck. I am good at creativity and games and activities...we just don't do much of that if its not planned... So I try to plan fun. :lol: life as a task oriented homeschooling mama is tricky! :lol:

Not sure if that answers your question :lol: I hear where you are coming from. I think we are probably way too hard on ourselves. I know my kids are awesome and I love them and they love me! ;) I do think at this point faults and all, I am the best teacher for them right now. And we have always said if that ever changed they would be with whoever was best.

Edited by ByGrace3
  • Like 3

I have three sons who have very real struggles learning and are not motivated to do something (school) they see as extraordinarily difficult and unproductive.  I get so frustrated with them, at times I have to give myself a time-out.  I am probably not as patient as a professional teacher might be, but I am way, way ,WAY more persistent.  I will never give up on them, and that is worth a lot.  I will never stop meeting them where they are, nor will I skip something they need to learn just because the school year is over.

I used to think I was an awful teacher, but then our daughter came along, who is slightly above average, motivated, and learns quickly.  

I thought I was horrible at homeschooling because my sons struggled so much (with many failed attempts for outside help).  However, now I'm pretty sure they would have struggled more in the classroom. 

But, I agree that the comparisons can cause unnecessary grief.

On the whole I think I'm doing a pretty good job.  My patience wasn't always there, in fact it was pretty bad for a while. However I worked on it a lot, changed my perspective, and it's definitely there now.  I focus on the relationship and am willing to shut the books when things aren't productive.  I try to keep things fun, use humor, or find multiple ways to explain difficult concepts.  I honestly think anyone looking at our homeschool on a given day would be pretty impressed.  Well, most days...

I think I'm doing OK, although there's always room for improvement. 

It's difficult to compare home vs school, apples and oranges really. I could easily list a dozen or so things that the kids could get in school that I can't or don't provide them at home. But then again, I could fill pages with the things that I give them which they wouldn't have in school. I guess the difference is that some of the latter are deal breakers.

Interesting topic - My older daughter goes to public school in the morning (2.5 hrs including the specials each day, then recess), Montessori in the afternoon (2.5 hrs then circle time), then I teach her at night where there are gaps. 

I think I teach well academically, but I'm absolutely no fun.  Whoever said "it hasn't all been sunshine and rainbows" kind of describes it for me. 

The public school my older daughter attends is all warm and fuzzy and fun. However, even she gets annoyed that they always say she does so well, even when she's not trying. She told me: "You are way too hard, [Public school teacher] is way too easy; [Montessori teacher] is juuuuuust right." It's way out of our price range to continue Montessori all the way, though, so I hope we can find some balance after this year.

Edited by tm919