Menu

Bullet Journals: 2016

Slache

I've been doing the Bullet Journal thing since March.  I love it.  I call it my brain.  I'm on my second book.  I use the dotted Moleskines.  Here's how I tweaked it the second time around: https://thefamilywho.wordpress.com/2015/08/03/bullet-journal-take-two/ It's working perfectly so when this one is filled up in a month or two, I'll do the next one the same way.

• Like 5

I really like this system though I'm probably not using it to its full potential.

I really like having a place to tape movie tickets stubs and stuff and make a point of jotting down "memories".

Having a "fancy" book made me nervous so I only get the cheapest thing I can find at the craft store. I opt for lined pages and spiral bound. I think it's around 6" by 8"... has to fit in my bag.

I replace them as they're full.

• Like 1

I did start mine last year, but for me it's an organizational and productivity tool, not a fad that will go out of style. I just started my fourth bullet journal and have been using one daily since summer 2014. Ryder Carroll revamped his website and video tutorial after successfully funding a Kickstarter for his official Bullet Journal notebook, so the system is a little different than the one I learned and still use. I still use the original system with checkboxes rather than the newer one that uses dots. 

As for modifications, I print out and tape in a monthly calendar for my monthly spread instead of listing the dates and day-of-the-week abbreviations down the side of the page. Instead of migrating tasks daily, I do it weekly and mark an X at the top of each page when all tasks have been completed so it's easy to find tasks I still need to finish. I use washi tape folded over the edge of my monthly pages so that they're easy to find and flip back to. One of the things I'm going to do this time is lightly tape in a notecard for my long-term collections (like my to-read list of books in my Kindle library or blog post ideas) so it can be moved easily to a new journal when I'm finished with the current one. 

My personal preference is to use gridded paper and pre-numbered pages. My current journal is a Sigel Conceptum. I also liked my Leuchtturm1917.

Edited by Word Nerd
  • Like 3

I've been using it since April 2014. I use the 5x8 Moleskine hardcovers with the graph-paper-type pages.

I do write a sticky note of things I want/need to do that week--I move it from page to page.

I do not keep a monthly/calendar page. Dh and I use ical to schedule everything.

• Like 1

I use a gridded Moleskine and love it. I started mine in January. It's not fancy. I don't do washi tape, different colors of ink, or fancy lettering. It's very plain jane but it works for me.

Me either. I love the beautiful ones online with all the colors and sketches, but I don't have the time or talent for such a thing. I might go a little crazy and get a blue on this year. We'll see.

I've been using it since April 2014. I use the 5x8 Moleskine hardcovers with the graph-paper-type pages.

I do write a sticky note of things I want/need to do that week--I move it from page to page.

I do not keep a monthly/calendar page. Dh and I use ical to schedule everything.

Yes!  Dh and I also use the 5x8 Moleskine graph paper, but we use the thin soft covers that come in a 3 pack. I do the sticky note thingy too!

I just couldn't make the all-in-one bullet journal work for me because I disliked including a calendar and the daily task and to do lists. Dh started using multiple ones, so I tried it. Now I use four, one for meal planning and another for homeschooling, one for household systems and general, and a final personal one.  

I also keep a standard planner.  Right now I am using this one. http://www.milestonebooks.com/item/62-2016/?ref=gpa&gclid=CI_0p-eHvskCFcRffgodQvMDFgDh and I also use an online calendar that links our calendars together.

• Like 1

My Leuchtturm 1917 was supposed to get here on Monday (along with an expensive Christmas gift), then it was rescheduled to "by 8 p.m. on 12/2." It's now 7:05 on 12/2, and it's not here. I'm so annoyed! I was so ready to get started, and I'm finding myself making lists on scraps of paper, trying to keep my brain organized in a way that I was all prepped for  :glare:

I'm still going to keep my Google calendar for events, I meal plan on Plan to Eat (and that also shows up on my Google calendar), and I use Out of Milk for grocery shopping lists. I really need the journal for my daily stream-of-consciousness dumping and organizing my day. 

My Leuchtturm 1917 was supposed to get here on Monday (along with an expensive Christmas gift), then it was rescheduled to "by 8 p.m. on 12/2." It's now 7:05 on 12/2, and it's not here. I'm so annoyed! I was so ready to get started, and I'm finding myself making lists on scraps of paper, trying to keep my brain organized in a way that I was all prepped for  :glare:

I'm still going to keep my Google calendar for events, I meal plan on Plan to Eat (and that also shows up on my Google calendar), and I use Out of Milk for grocery shopping lists. I really need the journal for my daily stream-of-consciousness dumping and organizing my day. 

How many pages is the index?

How many pages is the index?

In the Leuchtturm? I don't know, I haven't gotten it yet! (Can you tell how annoyed I am?! Stupid USPS...) I can report back when I have it in hand, though, if someone else here hasn't already replied. I actually chose it mainly because I found a great deal on Amazon and because a lot of the reviews I read said the paper was thicker than the paper of the Moleskine, which I was actually able to see and feel at a B&N. 

ETA: Actually, you can look up Leuchtturm reviews on Youtube, and one of them might have that info. They're pretty thorough. 

Edited by ILiveInFlipFlops
  • Like 1

In the Leuchtturm? I don't know, I haven't gotten it yet! (Can you tell how annoyed I am?! Stupid USPS...) I can report back when I have it in hand, though, if someone else here hasn't already replied. I actually chose it mainly because I found a great deal on Amazon and because a lot of the reviews I read said the paper was thicker than the paper of the Moleskine, which I was actually able to see and feel at a B&N. 

Well tell them to hurry up because now I'm waiting too!

I still bullet journal and totally love it. I can't imagine using any other system. I touch my book every single day, write in it most days. I've converted one person in real life who said it "changed her life" and I have had a couple other people ask about it and thought it was pretty cool. :)

One thing I changed is the monthly spread, I now draw out a calendar with boxes across the whole spread. It just helps to have more space.

If you're trying to pick a book, I would recommend giving the Leuchtturm a try. It's very nice, it's paper is fountain pen friendly and it's a little wider than the Moleskine.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm a bullet journal failure, I want to try again though.  I bought a fancy planner that I love for *planning* but I find myself carrying at least 2 more notebooks for other stuff.  I need to simplify!

One of the main reasons a BuJo works for me is that I have everything in one place. I got over the idea that home, work, school, and other task lists needed to be kept separately. My everyday life isn't neatly organized into categories; neither is my BuJo.

• Like 1

I've been loving mine this year although I admit it's just January 19th. In the very front I have a year calendar that takes up two pages because there are spaces on the right to write upcoming events. I put everything from birthdays to Matt's days off to Cirque du Soleil tour dates.

I got the Leuchtturm mentioned above. It's bigger than the moleskin I had and since there are two bookmarks I have it divided into two sections; regular bullet journal and long term lists like gifts to buy and books to read.

I use the wonderlist app to snag quick thoughts like "apples" or "John asked to go the falls" and implement them into by journal in the evening.

• Like 1

I've been using one for a bit more than a year now.  It's much simplified, and modified, but I really like it.  I didn't spend the time to do "pretty", but just use a cheap notebook from Costco.  I'm rather suspicious that those who are too caught up in making this look like a piece of art are missing the point - to organize your life.  I print out monthly calendars and tape a few other things in, have my to do lists, and planning notes inside.  I gave up on the table of contents, but that may have been a mistake.  

Now I'm going to check out some of your links to see what I can improve.

• Like 1

I started Bullet Journaling right after Christmas 2014. I kept it up for a good while, then it fell apart for a bit. I started back up after this past Christmas and I think I have better systems down that will keep me doing it longer-term.

I always liked the idea of the pretty Bullet Journals - the ones where people do cool doodles and awesome lettering. I'm just not very talented, so it wasn't something I did. Recently though, I found this Color Your Own Sticker Book at Amazon and I have enjoyed placing stickers here and there in my BJ and coloring them.

• Like 1

I started a Bullet Journal in March of last year.  One of the draws for me was that it wasn't pre-printed with dates, so it didn't matter if I skipped some days, or even longer (since I skipped about two months during the summer last year, and random days since.)   With a dated planner, I always felt like I was behind if I didn't fill it in.

I've been using a squared Moleskine, and I like it well enough, but I got a good deal on a Peter Pauper Press Essentials grid notebook last month, and I'm going to use that for my next one.  Great paper quality.  I will probably end up trying a Leuchtturm 1917 at some point too.  But I've had a love affair with paper since I was little, so I just want them all.  But it doesn't matter, you can use any old notebook.  It's the system that matters.

• Like 1

I love Bullet journaling! It is the only thing that has worked for me. I use a composition notebook. The ones on sale at staples for a buck at back to school time.

I don't do anything artsy, so I clip sayings and pictures and put them in. I love putting together my week. Usually on Sunday I sit and figure out what my weekly page needs to look like and what I want in it,. I add lots of things to track and lists of things I want to do and read.

I am on my 3rd book, 1 per year, so it is sticking with me. I love looking at pages on google+ and pinterest. Got lots of good ideas.

My best part is, I get to make it what I want and what I need. Which a store bought planner never did fit like that.

• Like 1

I love my bullet journal! I started about a year ago. I have a yearly calendar, just a two page spread for each month with a couple lines per day,where I write down birthdays and upcoming events and appointments. I have a Tasks list at the end of each month's section where I write things I want to accomplish that month. I also have a list of books read for the year. Sometimes I will use a sticky note as a reminder of something coming up.

ETA: I use a Moleskine gridded notebook, the larger size. It has lasted me one full year and I still have plenty of pages left.

Edited by PrairieSong

I've started using one--a composition book, but with graph paper. I do not have a calendar in it. It's an index, vision statement, to do list, spending record, list of things to look up/look into, list of things to buy (excluding groceries)... That's about it so far, but I like it. Great location for a brain dump.

I already have a landscape printout I do for menus and another for a weekly schedule, so I'm considering whether there's a way to put it all together in a format I like.

• Like 1

I did order the Dot Grid from Covey because I like preprinted date pages - cannot trust myself to put the correct date down 365 days ahead and I need to be able to look ahead.

Just wanted to say you cannot be a bullet journal failure because everyone does the journal or dayminder in a way it works for them. If you do not abide by every little thing lined out in the "tutorial" but it helps you keep track of what you need to track - then it's a resounding success!  :)

In case anyone wants to see the Dot Grid: http://franklinplanner.fcorgp.com/store/category/prod3030002/CA-All-Planners/Dot-Grid-Wire-bound-Daily-Planner?skuId=66202