Menu

Is this the new way to say it or is it just the teacher's quirk?

milovany

One of the classes I'm transcribing this term is an Algebra II class at the high school level and when solving for x, instead of saying "Subtract 5 from both sides" (which I've always said, heard and used), the teacher says, "Subtract 5 to both sides."  She's a younger, tech-hip, interesting/interested teacher, so I'm wondering if this is how that instruction is phrased these days.  I've done quite a few math classes over the last few years, though, and this is the first time I've heard it, so maybe it's a quirk of this particular teacher's?  Inquiring minds want to know 

Thanks for your quick feedback.  I agree that it's probably a quirk. It just seem strange to me since she probably went through upper level math in high school, then majored in math education in college, maybe even getting a master's, and still says it this way when it was probably said the other way throughout her educational career.  I'm supposed to type the meaning of what someone says, not necessarily the exact words, so I type it "subtract from" but wanted to see if maybe I should be typing it "subtract to" if that's the current accepted phrasing.  (I was corrected in a class the other day when I kept typing "Koran," sigh. It was more due to working fast and just wanting to get the sentences out there because I didn't have time to process extra thoughts in my head like I sometimes can -- he was a quick speaker with a thick foreign accent -- but the student Skype'd me saying, "The way it's spelled now is Quran." So I wondered if the subtract to thing was similar to that.)

Oh my goodness, that would bother me so much!! How on earth can you subtract TO anything?!

I suppose if you subtract a negative number from something, you are in essence subtracting 'to' something? Regardless, it would drive me nuts as well, and to be honest, if I were transcribing it, I'd probably end up transcribing 'from' rather than 'to' (I probably wouldn't make a good transcriber though).

Foreign background?

My foreign friends often say "__ is younger to __."

They also say "5 into 5" for 5x5, and a few other things that take getting used to.  They say "running hand" for cursive.

Now that would really confuse me. I'm used to "5 into 5" meaning 5 divided by 5. Or for more clarity: 3 into 17 means 17 divided by 3.

Maybe I'm just querkie too. :p

• Like 2

I suppose if you subtract a negative number from something, you are in essence subtracting 'to' something? Regardless, it would drive me nuts as well, and to be honest, if I were transcribing it, I'd probably end up transcribing 'from' rather than 'to' (I probably wouldn't make a good transcriber though).

Actually, see my second post above.  It'd be considered good form to transcribe "subtract from" even if she's saying "subtract to."  It's what I've been doing. 

Weirdness. That is not standard and very confusing. Words matter, especially in communicating abstract math concepts.

She needs the prep book that came with my Cuisenaire materials. It had some of the most precise and deliberate phrasing I've seen for discussing math (in the English language).

I could live with "add negative 5 to each side," otherwise no.

Bill

I'm assuming the above is what she is thinking as she says it. You aren't really taking anything away as much as you are balancing the equation by doing the same thing to the equation on both sides of the equal sign. Once we hit algebra I, I prefer to drop the word subtract from my math vocabulary altogether. When you start talking about subtracting negatives, or worse, polynomial equations, the concept of subtraction (as opposed to combining the opposite) can get muddy fast.

I have had a number of Asian students who say "subtract 5 to both sides" when they are explaining a math problem. 

Oh, I wonder if she's Asian.  I haven't picked that up from an accent (or lack thereof), but I supposed it's possible.  I should google the high school and see if I can tell now that you've made me wonder.  :)