Menu

Suggest a wine for non-wine drinkers

PeachyDoodle

The small group that meets in our home would like to share Communion as part of our gathering, and I need to provide the wine. Neither dh nor I cares much for wine (even the smell sometimes makes me gag) but I'm hoping to find something we can enjoy, or at least tolerate, especially since we will only be taking a sip.

Any suggestions?

Can you tell us whether you like any other alcoholic drinks and what they are? That might help recommend something. Brandy? Cognac? Beer? Margaritas? V8 juice? Anything?

I don't care for any of it, really. I have nursed a mixed drink on occasion (amaretto sour or the like) but I don't really like them much. DH will drink a beer from time to time when we're out, or Jack & Coke. He is less picky about it than I am; he will probably be ok with whatever we end up with.

The closer it tastes to juice, the better I will like it!

You might enjoy a kir--white wine with grenadine syrup in it, basically a wine cooler. However, I'm not sure how white wine goes with communion. My impression was that red wine was usually used. A muscato might be too sweet for many as well. Maybe Cabernet for those who like dry and muscato for those who prefer sweet?

• Like 1

You might enjoy a kir--white wine with grenadine syrup in it, basically a wine cooler. However, I'm not sure how white wine goes with communion. My impression was that red wine was usually used. A muscato might be too sweet for many as well. Maybe Cabernet for those who like dry and muscato for those who prefer sweet?

I thought so as well, but according to my research, either white or red is acceptable.

I think we will try a few of that have been mentioned and see if there is something we like. Thank you for the suggestions!

A bottle will probably last us a month. Can we store it? Obviously, I know nothing about any of this! :blush:

A sweet white wine is white zinfandel.  I don't like it very much, but it's usually tolerable by people who don't like wine much.

If you're near a Trader Joe's, I really like their "Honey Moon" wine.  It's a white wine that's light but not so sweet.  And only $5.99.

• Like 1

Fruity? Can you do Sangria? "sabgri Mandria" is great. Moscato is another good fruity choice. Or, there are specific fruity flavored wines (I like peach). Having a glass of Chardonnay right now...also a good choice. How can you not like wine??? (Lol! Just teasing you)... Hope you find something you can take without gagging :)

• Like 1

If you're anything like me, even a moscato will have nothing "fruity" or "sweet" about it, but will be just as gaggy as all the rest. I can at least manage one sip, but by the third, I'm shuddering all over. Every once in awhile, I give it another go with a different wine, but always with the same result. My tastebuds refuse to be grown-ups.

• Like 2

If you're anything like me, even a moscato will have nothing "fruity" or "sweet" about it, but will be just as gaggy as all the rest. I can at least manage one sip, but by the third, I'm shuddering all over. Every once in awhile, I give it another go with a different wine, but always with the same result. My tastebuds refuse to be grown-ups.

Hahaha... mine either! I've never had a wine that I thought was actually sweet or fruity. It's all gross. I'm glad it's not just me. My sister rolls her eyes and says, "Nobody LIKES the taste of alcohol. That's why you get used to it in college when you're too stupid to know any better and susceptible to peer pressure."

But I didn't drink in college either. My bad.

I've never liked it, but when I was pregnant and super-sensitive to smells, I got sick at a restaurant off the smell of a bottle from another table. It's all been downhill from there!

• Like 1

I'm not sure what we use at church, but they just buy a big jug.   Over time the taste gets worse and worse so you aren't going to want to store something.  It's just a little sip, so we deal with the bad taste.

If you have just a few people, I'd look for some half-bottles.  I think Sutter Home has something; maybe they are even smaller than half. Then you don't have to worry about how to store it. 

• Like 1

Add me to the list that hates it all. I have tried so many, trying to find something "sweet" or at least tolerable. It all tastes exactly the same to me. Nasty. I just had to hold my nose and try not to gag during communion. I do think mixing it with water helps a bit though, and I actually think that was done quite often during Bible times.

• Like 1

I'm the same way, with the shuddering. Dh thinks it's hilarious when it happens, but I can't really control it. It's just so nasty tasting. I do wonder how everyone else can stand the stuff. And heaven forbid I have to take cough syrup. Same thing happens--the involuntary shuddering. I have to brace myself for taking it.

So, no advice, but I do commiserate. I think I've had the muscato people have talked about and I was able to gag it down without too much shuddering. Oh wait! I had a wine cooler and I couldn't taste much alcohol in it, but somehow that doesn't seem right at communion. They're more like sugar drinks with a bit of alcohol in them. Not quite the same as wine and all the other communion participants might object to using wine coolers.

How on earth did you end up being the ones to bring the wine? Was it because they wanted you to find something you could handle since you're the pickiest? I've walked into wine shops looking for cooking wine and been totally overwhelmed. If you're not a drinker, it's really hard to figure out all the wines and other drinks on the spot like that.

• Like 1

I was going to recommend Manishewitz too. It's what I've seen used at the few shabbats I've been to and this sounds like a similar occasion. I highly recommend mixing it with water. That's what they do at Catholic masses and there's even a specific prayer while you do it. I don't know if that will work for you but you could check it out.

I'd also suggest that you don't have to drink the wine necessarily. Of course, this depends on your religious tradition, but for Catholics taking the bread is sufficient. Lots of people skip the wine. If you think a lot of people will skip the wine, don't prepare too much if you wouldn't be comfortable throwing it away. For example, at a Catholic mass the priest or the extraordinary minister of communion has to drink what's left in the chalice after the congregation has been served.

• Like 1

I'm the same way, with the shuddering. Dh thinks it's hilarious when it happens, but I can't really control it. It's just so nasty tasting. I do wonder how everyone else can stand the stuff. And heaven forbid I have to take cough syrup. Same thing happens--the involuntary shuddering. I have to brace myself for taking it.

So, no advice, but I do commiserate. I think I've had the muscato people have talked about and I was able to gag it down without too much shuddering. Oh wait! I had a wine cooler and I couldn't taste much alcohol in it, but somehow that doesn't seem right at communion. They're more like sugar drinks with a bit of alcohol in them. Not quite the same as wine and all the other communion participants might object to using wine coolers.

How on earth did you end up being the ones to bring the wine? Was it because they wanted you to find something you could handle since you're the pickiest? I've walked into wine shops looking for cooking wine and been totally overwhelmed. If you're not a drinker, it's really hard to figure out all the wines and other drinks on the spot like that.

I want to do it so hopefully I can find something that won't make me puke. That would be embarrassing! Might be a long shot, though! I know NOTHING about wine (I expect that's obvious, lol) so I literally would have been reduced to picking one at random from the grocery store. I appreciate all the help!

I think we will try the watered-down Manishewitz first and see how it goes. Surely I can handle a sip. I hate feeling like a kid at the grown-ups' table!

Gewürztraminer is very sweet and riesling is not far behind. I'd try either of those if you're interesting in white. Do you have a winery near you? Local wineries in our area offer tastings & you can pick something that way. We're in muscadine country so, lots of sweet options.

My favorite is Pinot Noir. I'm not a drinker, but it's an option I've found allows me to be social when necessary without the shudder ;). It's red, not too sweet, & usually not too bitter either. It's nice & neutral. 

• Like 1