Menu

Would it be weird to have the same couches in living room/family room of the same house?

Tap

Our house has an L shaped floor plan.  One leg is the living room/dining room, the other is the family room/kitchen.

We have Ikea Ektorp couches in the family room and an antique style in the living room.  I need new living room couches. We have blankets stuffed under the cushions due to sprung springs and it is getting uncomfortable.  The springs could be fixed but the cushions are starting to wear also, so it is time for them to go while I can still get a little bit of money for them on Craigslist. I am thinking about getting Ektorp for the living room as well.

When I get new furniture it will turn into a complete redecorating and will cost quite a bit.  I need to repaint (due to floor plan that means 1000sqft of painting, including a 2 story entry), need a new rug and decor items.  The living room was in the gold/red family is definitely out of date. 

I just don't really have the money to spend $3-5000 right now for all of it..  If I get the Ektorp sofas, that will drop the furniture to $1000 and it will make the project possible right now. I figure I can do the rest for about $1000.

I don't like any of the other couches at IKEA. I have other furniture options (large city) but last time it took me a year to decided on the current custom furniture, so I would like to avoid that if possible. I spend so much time going through stores and working out what I wanted, I just don't have the desire to do that again.  We like the Ektorp ok and it is comfortable. We will go with a different color of covers, so they won't match, but still be obviously the same furniture. DD9 is very hard on things (hence the current condition of my high end furniture) so the replaceable nature of the IKEA furniture has its pluses. It just seems weird to me to have the same furniture in two different rooms.  WWYD? 

Here is a link to the family room with the Ektorp. Through the kitchen door you can see the other room just a bit so you know how close they are together.  The pictures were taken for a different reason, but they can still help to explain the space better than my words.

I think it's fine. Maybe change up the coffee table so you have a bit of a different look. Also, did you know-there are places online that sell other covers for the IKEA furniture, so you can get a lot more different looks in the slipcover, than just the few IKEA has to offer.

• Like 3

I think it's fine. Maybe change up the coffee table so you have a bit of a different look. Also, did you know-there are places online that sell other covers for the IKEA furniture, so you can get a lot more different looks in the slipcover, than just the few IKEA has to offer.

No, I didn't know that.  I will definitely check that out!  Thanks!  :hurray:

Eh, I think most of the IKEA furniture -- including the Ektorp -- is generic enough not to draw much attention to itself. I'd bet that if you put different covers on the ones in the other room, most people wouldn't even notice they are the same pieces. And, since the rooms are close together, I think there's an argument to be made that it actually makes sense to kind of coordinate them.

• Like 2

Tap, I thought I'd posted here earlier, but I guess not.  I don't think it'd be weird at all, in fact I wouldn't even notice because both of the couches are neutral in color.

What I really want to know is the name of that color in your family room. It looks like a light blue-gray color?  It's gorgeous, and I'd love to consider it, as we look at what to paint our walls.

Thanks!

I have Ektorp couches in my TV room and my living room. :) The only differences being that the one in the living room was purchase a couple years later, so they have a little different shades of beige covers. I don't think it's weird at all. :) And they go find with the light-blue/gray walls in each room (a little darker in the living room). Love my Ektorp couches. I'd get more if I needed more couches. :) 

Slight tangent: is the Ektorp comfy? You've piqued my interest!

Very comfy. We've had them for about 7 years in the TV room about about 4 years in the living room. They're all still super comfy and in great shape, despite being heavily used 24/7 by my gaggle of family members and dogs. They're all on their first set of covers, too, surprisingly enough, despite being washed zillions of time. Love, love, love. 

• Like 1

Tap, I thought I'd posted here earlier, but I guess not.  I don't think it'd be weird at all, in fact I wouldn't even notice because both of the couches are neutral in color.

What I really want to know is the name of that color in your family room. It looks like a light blue-gray color?  It's gorgeous, and I'd love to consider it, as we look at what to paint our walls.

Thanks!

Thank you. :0)

It was a custom color to match to the shag rug on the floor.  The  accent rug was bought first and the wall color to complement it.

It is very close to Silver Sage (or problably closer to Sea Green) from Restoration hardware. 

• Like 1

You should do what you like. But there's no law that says you must have a sofa in your living room. ;) If you don't love the idea of the same sofa, change things up. Do you even use the living room if it is in such close proximity to the family room? If you do, great, but if you don't, convert it into whatever you think will get use. A library, for example.