Menu

Thank you

HeatherL

That's so hard. In our relationship it is the opposite, and my best advice as the cycling, difficult spouse is to disengage any personal value and feelings from his moods. You know it isn't you, and he may be finding it very difficult to control or even recognize when he is being unreasonable. It sounds like you both could use some counseling in how best to manage his health issues and live together peaceably and to protect your own mental health while weathering his.

I'm so sorry.   :grouphug:

Please do some extra self-care for yourself today.  And maybe some extra love for your kiddos.  It can be so hard not to take it all personally.

This isn't you.  And, it's not really your spouse either.  It sounds like something's off with his meds, honestly.  I hope you have a good psych to help you through this, and a therapist just for you, too.

More  :grouphug: from the mom of a bipolar adult kiddo.  

• Like 1

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

My dh is bipolar too, so I feel your pain. My advice would be to talk to your doctor about fiddling with his meds, but wait until you're in a good place where you feel rested and calm first. Med changes can be... interesting, and they aren't a good thing to begin if you're already exhausted and stressed to the limit. And if your dh is anything like mine, you'll need to be rested and level-headed because you're going to have to be the one to decide if the med change is a success or not. My dh can say that he's perfectly fine and his new meds are working great even as he's screaming and breaking dishes against the wall.  :001_rolleyes:  Thankfully, we haven't had to change his meds for years now.

((((((((((((((((((((((((((Heather)))))))))))))))))))))))))

I couldn't make it work with my bipolar ex-boyfriend so I have no advice, just the observation that you are very brave and that he is so lucky to have you.

My grandmother lived with my bi-polar grandfather for eons -- and it did not look fun in the least.

She was considered very bossy, but had to be. She kept him on his meds and made him walk every day. I'll never forget her constantly saying, "Daddy? Have you had your walk? Get a move on."

I can hear him saying, "Okay. Okay."

I know that the bi-polar (called manic depression then) really impacted my mom negatively. Although I don't know if it was my aggressive grandma -- whom I adored -- or my grandpa who impacted her more.

That's my way of saying, that I encourage you to take the reins as much as possible: get the kids away when he's being mean (I'd stay at a hotel or w/ a friend and have it planned -- I'd want the kids to know that it wasn't okay for them to tolerate abusive behavior), force him to take meds, force daily workouts etc.

I always heard that my grandpa would have lived like a homeless person if my grandma hadn't taken care of him. (Even though he was the bread winner.)

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: to you!

Alley

• Like 1

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

My dh is bipolar too, so I feel your pain. My advice would be to talk to your doctor about fiddling with his meds, but wait until you're in a good place where you feel rested and calm first. Med changes can be... interesting, and they aren't a good thing to begin if you're already exhausted and stressed to the limit. And if your dh is anything like mine, you'll need to be rested and level-headed because you're going to have to be the one to decide if the med change is a success or not. My dh can say that he's perfectly fine and his new meds are working great even as he's screaming and breaking dishes against the wall.  :001_rolleyes:  Thankfully, we haven't had to change his meds for years now.

It would be cool if you guys could start a support group on here!

Alley

• Like 3

I always heard that my grandpa would have lived like a homeless person if my grandma hadn't taken care of him. (Even though he was the bread winner.)

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: to you!

Alley

My ex-boyfriend is a homeless person now.