Menu

I'm having twins

And I conceived them while my youngest was 15 months old. That means come spring I will have a 2 year old and twin newborns. Please tell me it's going to be ok. My big kids are in k & 3rd this year. I will likely school until we can. Break when I am just way too pregnant and pick back up in late spring when I feel up to it.

If you have twins and homeschooled or are homeschooling with lots of little under foot, share you story.

My dd is fairly independent now. I can see her doing about 2 hrs of work with minimal help and getting most of Lang and math independently next year. This year I really only do grammar and a math lesson and she does the rest in Lang and math as well as some other independent work for about 60-90 min a day.

My k'er does an hour of seat work with mom.

I spend about an hour and a half to 2 hours on our core subjects. So that means I would likely spend 3 hrs actively teaching.

Does this seem possible.

I really want to teach core subjects and give my ds one on one in math & Lang until he's able to read independently, grasps the basics in math. Probably shifting to more independent work in 2nd grade.

• Like 4

Wooty-wooty-wooty-wooty-WOOTY! Twins are great! Rah, twins!

Twins are hilarious. Never a dull moment.  :willy_nilly:  :willy_nilly:  :Angel_anim:

Our oldest is 22 months older than our twins, so we had three children under two. It was a blast, what I remember of it. ;)

Congratulations! I am serious when I say that our twins are one two of the most wonderful and amazing blessings we have ever known. Yours will amaze you, too.

• Like 4

If it makes you feel better, my grandma had a set of twin boys, a singleton boy, and ANOTHER set of twin boys in 3 years. So 5 children born within 3 years. She lived.

There may have been xanax involved though....

Five BOYS that close together! Oh my goodness. The sheer amount of food. . .

OP, congratulations!

Wooty-wooty-wooty-wooty-WOOTY! Twins are great! Rah, twins!

Twins are hilarious. Never a dull moment.  :willy_nilly:  :willy_nilly:  :Angel_anim:

Our oldest is 22 months older than our twins, so we had three children under two. It was a blast, what I remember of it. ;)

Congratulations! I am serious when I say that our twins are one two of the most wonderful and amazing blessings we have ever known. Yours will amaze you, too.

Spot on.

Our twins are 25 months older than their sibling - so, another one in the "3 kids in 2 years" club.

I am telling you, you and your whole family are in for SO. MUCH. FUN. Yes, there will be hard days; yes, there will some tears, but - oh, my goodness, the connections, the POWER, the hilarity, the amazing resourcefulness, the JOY of it all - they put those hard days right back in their place.

CONGRATULATIONS to you, mama! Of course you can do it! Not you-by-yourself (please don't try), but you-as-a-team. You've got this.

• Like 1

I too had an almost-2 y.o. when my twins were born.  However, I wasn't also homeschooling a couple of older kids!  My main piece of advice:  do everything within your power to keep them in as long as possible.  50% of twins are born preterm.  What that ended up looking like for my 33-weekers was about 7 months of feeding every three hours around the clock.  I was very affected by the unending nature of the sleep deprivation.  I cannot fathom trying to homeschool during that time.  While there are only so many factors within your control, to that end I'll recommend Barbara Luke's book on pregnancy with multiples.

Congrats and good luck!

• Like 1

Congratulations!!! My 4th kid was 2 when I had twins (and my oldest was 6!).  School was the one thing that DID get done when I was pregnant and in the months following their birth.  That's because it was one of the only things I could do while sitting down.  Being pregnant with twins, and then breastfeeding twins, means a LOT of sitting.  Sure, I fell asleep during many a phonics lesson, but the kids learned to read!  What I could NOT get done was keeping the house clean.  Dishes, laundry, and the kid's rooms were always a disaster.  If you can plan now on having consistent help with those things, I wouldn't worry too much about the homeschooling stuff.  I won't deny that it was the hardest year of my entire life so far, but the kids don't have seem to have suffered for it.  

• Like 2

No twins here, but 5 kids in just over 8 years. It isn't the same, as an acquaintance who just had twins tells me. (She had 4 in 6 years before her twins came along.) 

It is doable, but maybe not during those first two months of severe sleep deprivation or again for awhile during the mobile/toddler phase.

:hurray:  :grouphug:  :party:  Congrats!!!

Yeah! Congratulations! Twins are truly special.

When my twins were born, I had a 2 year old, a not quite 4 year old, a 7 year old, and a 9 year old.

Those first few months were a bit of a blur for me. I know we took a whole month off after they were born and had planned for more. . .but we all needed the normalcy of some kind of schedule. It felt GOOD to start back up again. The rest of that year we stayed very consistent with our 3r's subjects. I think we put in time comparable to what you're looking for.  Honestly, the homeschooling wasn't as hard as I thought it would be once the twins were a few months old and on a sleeping schedule. They slept a LOT and were happy to be talked to and played with by the other kids who gladly oooo-ed and aaahhh-ed over them. (They still do this.) Yes, it was crazy, but it's doable. Take ANY help you can get in those first few months, though, and feel no guilt.

I warn you that homeschooling when your twins are toddlers will be exceedingly more difficult than when they are infants. Age 2 for twins practically had me in the funny farm, but at 3 they have gotten easier. A little. ;)

I am so happy for you! Twins are terrifying but also a unique and amazing experience.

edited to add: part of why my early months went so well was that my boys stayed in so long. I went 38+ weeks and they were 7lbs each with no health issues. Rest and eat your protein. ;) 

• Like 1

Mine are my onlies, but twins are really a blessing. Let yourself grieve over it if you need to though. I was so depressed when I found out I was having twins. It was such a huge curveball. And I can't lie - the first year or so was killer. But after that, I think they're much easier than having a singleton - no matter how many more you've got. They keep each other company. They make each other laugh. They have shared imagination. Twins are great.

Congratulations!

• Like 5

And I conceived them while my youngest was 15 months old. That means come spring I will have a 2 year old and twin newborns. Please tell me it's going to be ok. My big kids are in k & 3rd this year. 

Ds is 10.5 months older than my twins.

I had a two year old, PLUS a 10.5 month old when the twins were born.  :willy_nilly:

It'll be ok!  :hurray:  :thumbup1:

Mine are my onlies, but twins are really a blessing. Let yourself grieve over it if you need to though. I was so depressed when I found out I was having twins. It was such a huge curveball. And I can't lie - the first year or so was killer. But after that, I think they're much easier than having a singleton - no matter how many more you've got. They keep each other company. They make each other laugh. They have shared imagination. Twins are great.

Congratulations!

Thank you for that. Being pregnant was a surprise as was expecting twins. I have no family history. I have a mix of feelings. A lot of excite my but a lot of fear- the pregnancy, juggling 2 newborns and a toddler, the finances. It's a lot to process.

• Like 3

Thank you for that. Being pregnant was a surprise as was expecting twins. I have no family history. I have a mix of feelings. A lot of excite my but a lot of fear- the pregnancy, juggling 2 newborns and a toddler, the finances. It's a lot to process.

I hear you. I had a complete financial panic when I found out I was having twins. I just had multiple freak outs in general. Now we look back and chuckle about how upset we were. It sounds trite, but of course now, with my almost 11 yos, I can't imagine only having one of them or having a singleton. But until you're there, give yourself permission to be upset. It was hard for me because of course lots of people were saying things like, "Oh, I always wanted twins!" and "You're so lucky!" and "Double blessings!" and so forth. It didn't feel that way... until it did.

Eat lots of protein and the pregnancy should be okay. Twins is not the big deal pregnancy that it once was. :)

:grouphug:

• Like 2

My twins have no other siblings, so I can't help with the homeschooling.  Their relationships is so special.  I hope they always have that bond (they're only 6 now).  I won't lie, it is so very hard in the beginning.  But it does get better!  Just treat yourself well, and many wishes that you hold those babies in for a long, long time!  Taking care of yourself is so important, so don't try to do everything!

Yeah! Congratulations! Twins are truly special.

When my twins were born, I had a 2 year old, a not quite 4 year old, a 7 year old, and a 9 year old.

Those first few months were a bit of a blur for me. I know we took a whole month off after they were born and had planned for more. . .but we all needed the normalcy of some kind of schedule. It felt GOOD to start back up again. The rest of that year we stayed very consistent with our 3r's subjects. I think we put in time comparable to what you're looking for. Honestly, the homeschooling wasn't as hard as I thought it would be once the twins were a few months old and on a sleeping schedule. They slept a LOT and were happy to be talked to and played with by the other kids who gladly oooo-ed and aaahhh-ed over them. (They still do this.) Yes, it was crazy, but it's doable. Take ANY help you can get in those first few months, though, and feel no guilt.

I warn you that homeschooling when your twins are toddlers will be exceedingly more difficult than when they are infants. Age 2 for twins practically had me in the funny farm, but at 3 they have gotten easier. A little. ;)

I am so happy for you! Twins are terrifying but also a unique and amazing experience.

edited to add: part of why my early months went so well was that my boys stayed in so long. I went 38+ weeks and they were 7lbs each with no health issues. Rest and eat your protein. ;)

I know with my last baby we started school when she was about 4 weeks old and we'd taken 2 weeks off before I had her. It wasn't a bad year all things considered. She slept a lot and I could nurse and read, hold her and do school. The main thing was I was often tired and needed a nap in the afternoon until she started sleeping through the night. We did the R's plus Bible and chapter read alouds fairly consistently. Our core was probably not as consistent but we did it about 2-3x a week.

Recently getting school done has been harder. She's 17 months now. Curious, into everything and pretty stubborn. Typical toddler I know. We typically try to get Bible, Lang, math, and Spanish done in the morning while she's up. The core stuff I save for the afternoon when she's sleeping.

Usually this looks something like this-

10 min Bible with baby on my lap or playing in the living room

20 min Spanish video or cd or computer practice with baby hanging out

1hr independent work for dd7

1 hr k time while dd7 plays with baby

Lunch

Nap for baby 1-4

Quite time for dd6 and dd8 for 1 hr.

Chapter read alouds- 20 min.

Core time- around 90 min.

Sometimes my 6 year old joins, sometimes he sleeps or plays in his room or watches reading rainbow or Mr Rogers

Congrats! We just had our twins in January. Next oldest is 2. Then 4, 7, and 12. A twin pregnancy is hard. Rest and eat a lot, mama.

We only finished half our work for that year. I homeschool in the couch while nursing the babies, mostly. The kids bring me their books. It's happening. DH does the cooking now. That helps IMMENSELY!!

No twin advice at all from here, but wanted to offer congratulations anyway!

May your pregnancy go smoothly and I'm sure you'll adjust afterward.  Moms tend to be really good at adjusting to needs.

Be sure you take care of yourself though.  Moms aren't always good at that TBH.

I too had an almost-2 y.o. when my twins were born.  However, I wasn't also homeschooling a couple of older kids!  My main piece of advice:  do everything within your power to keep them in as long as possible.  50% of twins are born preterm.  What that ended up looking like for my 33-weekers was about 7 months of feeding every three hours around the clock.  I was very affected by the unending nature of the sleep deprivation.  I cannot fathom trying to homeschool during that time.  While there are only so many factors within your control, to that end I'll recommend Barbara Luke's book on pregnancy with multiples.

Congrats and good luck!

:iagree: Agreeing with this. The most important piece of advice I had during my twin pregnancy was from my OB, believe it or not. I was 7 months along and started having contractions.

He said, "Go home and put your feet up, and keep them up."

I told him, "I can't do that, I have a toddler to take care of."

He looked me in the eye and said, "Well, for these babies, you need to make a way. Your decision now will change your life, and their lives, either way, possibly forever. I will say it again -- go home and put your feet up, and keep them up."

That sank in.... I did find a way, and those babies were born nearly full-term (38.5 weeks), and over 7 lbs. each, never a minute in the NICU, and perfect APGARs. By six weeks old, they had one night time feeding, and by six months, they were sleeping 12-14 hours through each night. That's not to congratulate myself, that's just to say how much Dr. B.'s sobering words put it all into perspective for me. Do whatever you need to do to go as full-term as you can.

If I had had older, school-aged children at that time, I wouldn't have prioritized school. Life and health take precedence over academics.

• Like 4

About the fear factor -- When we found out we were having twins, we were just in shock. The worries, the money, the space. We had just purchased a small house, with less than 748 square feet of living space, which in 2006 was the best we could do. Where would we put another baby? How would we afford it all?

We sat on the loveseat, hubby and I, and I remember saying to him, "You know... it's a shock now, but in a few months, we won't be able to decide which one we could live without." That helped us to accept the situation, thinking about them as babies we would fall in love with, instead of bills we could not pay. HTH.

• Like 2

Congrats!  Twins are so special and amazing.  The most exciting day of my life was the day they were born. 

I also freaked out, and we were trying for over a year to get pregnant!  Definitely give yourself permission to feel what ever you are feeling.  It's a shock!  I remember I totally freaked out after that first ultrasound, and then the next day it just hit me, I said to my husband, "It's two babies to love instead of one."  You'll get there.

I also agree with prioritizing rest.  Mine were also born at 38.5 weeks, no NICU, great sleepers, and I sat on my a*s for the second half of my pregnancy.  Toddler proof the living room, or wherever the tv is, and just rest.  :grouphug:

Congrats again.  To carry 2 babies at once is super hero status. ;)

:iagree: Agreeing with this. The most important piece of advice I had during my twin pregnancy was from my OB, believe it or not. I was 7 months along and started having contractions.

He said, "Go home and put your feet up, and keep them up."

I told him, "I can't do that, I have a toddler to take care of."

He looked me in the eye and said, "Well, for these babies, you need to make a way. Your decision now will change your life, and their lives, either way, possibly forever. I will say it again -- go home and put your feet up, and keep them up."

That sank in.... I did find a way, and those babies were born nearly full-term (38.5 weeks), and over 7 lbs. each, never a minute in the NICU, and perfect APGARs. By six weeks old, they had one night time feeding, and by six months, they were sleeping 12-14 hours through each night. That's not to congratulate myself, that's just to say how much Dr. B.'s sobering words put it all into perspective for me. Do whatever you need to do to go as full-term as you can.

If I had had older, school-aged children at that time, I wouldn't have prioritized school. Life and health take precedence over academics.

I never went on bedrest or kept my feet up much and I still got full term big babies... they did not sleep, but I don't think that was much related, just their personalities and luck of the draw... still, they were big and healthy and there were no preterm worries about them and if possible, that's what you want. My midwives made me read Barbara Luke's multiples book. She's an ob and wrote about the research about nutrition. To sum it up in a sentence: eat a boatload of good protein every single day. Dh would keep count for me. My goal was 100 grams of protein every day. I agree though... a lot of twins end up in the NICU. Most will be completely fine, but do everything you can to keep you and them healthy - an ounce of prevention and all that. First line of defense is that diet. Next line is rest and feet up if you have to.

• Like 3

I purposely didn't mention my twins being preemies because I don't think it's the norm.  I don't know the statistics but don't read up on problems.  I'd say the norm is for two healthy full term twins!  Just take it easy on yourself!  And if they didn't make it to full term, they would likely still turn out just fine.  My former 1#9oz girl is healthy as a horse today and right now she's practicing her gymnastics beside me while her former 2#5oz brother plays legos.  Modern medicine is amazing and you'll do great.

http://www.marchofdimes.org/pregnancy/multiples-twins-triplets-and-beyond.aspx

Google says, "According to the March of Dimes, "60 percent of twins are born prematurely." The average twin pregnancy is 35 weeks."

I don't 35 weeks too worrisome, but it's still premature.

It's definitely something to consider. (I don't mean to scare you OP! Knowledge is power.)

Thanks for all the feedback.

While luckily this year we schooled through summer as I wanted to be ahead this year rather than behind. So we have actually completed our first 12 weeks of school! I had planned for 4 more 6 week units that incorporate history, science, music, arts & crafts, etc. I am currently 9 weeks along. Ideally I would like to finish our next 4 units before baby comes but in reality, that might not happen. So we are just trying to get stuff done as much as we can while I feel up to it. We typically school through summer so if we only complete 3 of our units that should be done before I hit 30 weeks. We can do the next unit over summer.

I also already cut down on commitments outside if school. My kids have one horse riding lesson one weekday afternoon together. Then my kids have an activity Saturday morning. DD does ballet class and ds swim lessons. These are all drop off and can be eliminated if I go on bed rest.

As far as other responsibilities, I am getting dh and kids on board now for us to get the housecleaning and grocery shopping done on the weekend. That way I have just tidying up / a load of laundry to do during our week days. Cooking I usually don't start until dh gets home. We usually work together.

I also reinstated quite time for all 1 hr a day so I can take a nap.

Anyhow, I think my concern isn't so much academics, but can I realistically still plan to homeschool this year and next. It's a big concern because taking on the responsibility of homeschooling my kids is a big commitment. Even if it looks different and is pared down, which I understand is likely, I need to feel like homeschooling is still the best option for us, and if it isn't anymore I feel like I need to figure out what is.

Another thought I have had. Are the rates of pre-term labor / complications with twins higher in women who conceived twins through fertility treatment than those who conceived them naturally? I don't want to offend or start a debate but my thoughts are if l conceived fraternal twins naturally it's probably because my body felt it could handle it. Not to say that I don't need to take it easier or follow my doctors advice not to over do it, or that I might end up having them sooner than 36 weeks, but just to say, logically, wouldn't the odds be lower?

It's possible that there's a difference, but we know lots of twins - most from families that I'm pretty sure conceived them naturally - and I would say more than half spent some time in the NICU (that 60% stat certainly reflects my anecdotal experience). I think multiples pregnancies are just more risky regardless of how you ended up in that state.

Eat your protein. Prepare for the possibility of needing to be on modified bed rest. Plan on an earlier due date. Even "full term" twins are often a little on the early side.

• Like 2

Anyhow, I think my concern isn't so much academics, but can I realistically still plan to homeschool this year and next. It's a big concern because taking on the responsibility of homeschooling my kids is a big commitment. Even if it looks different and is pared down, which I understand is likely, I need to feel like homeschooling is still the best option for us, and if it isn't anymore I feel like I need to figure out what is.

Congrats! I hope it's possible, because I'm due with twin girls this next month or so! I have an 8yo daughter and 4yo son. I've been encouraged so far that I can help the 8yo get through much of her stuff in just a few hours with checklists and check-in's, and even now there's lots of her bringing the book or notebook to me while I rest on the couch, so we can talk through challenges or what she's read. I was planning on being super mellow with the 4yo, but he's requesting more things like he sees his sister doing - that is taking a little extra energy and creativity I hadn't anticipated...

Beyond that, we are simplifying activities a bit for a few months, and I'm not doing the driving to them at all for the first month or so. I anticipate one week totally off, another "light," and then back at it since we're part of a charter. I will have another adult helping that first month or so as well, and we always do afternoon quiet times for all, giving me a consistent chance to rest a bit...

I think my tentative plan is to plan to homeschool up to about 30 weeks, unless otherwise advised by my OB. Then I will likely take at least one month off and pick up where we leave off. My dh will be taking leave for the first 6 weeks. We will pick up when I am up for it. Could be June, July, or next fall.

It's going to be nuts.... and chaotic and crazy and hectic.  And you're going to be so glad and love them like the dickens.

It will be JUST FINE!

Plan on doing read aloud stuff and a lot of it.  That is SO good for kids.  It helps their writing later on.  You'll be so glad to give them this foundation.

• Like 1

And I conceived them while my youngest was 15 months old. That means come spring I will have a 2 year old and twin newborns. Please tell me it's going to be ok. My big kids are in k & 3rd this year. I will likely school until we can. Break when I am just way too pregnant and pick back up in late spring when I feel up to it.

If you have twins and homeschooled or are homeschooling with lots of little under foot, share you story.

My dd is fairly independent now. I can see her doing about 2 hrs of work with minimal help and getting most of Lang and math independently next year. This year I really only do grammar and a math lesson and she does the rest in Lang and math as well as some other independent work for about 60-90 min a day.

My k'er does an hour of seat work with mom.

I spend about an hour and a half to 2 hours on our core subjects. So that means I would likely spend 3 hrs actively teaching.

Does this seem possible.

I really want to teach core subjects and give my ds one on one in math & Lang until he's able to read independently, grasps the basics in math. Probably shifting to more independent work in 2nd grade.

Congratulations!

We have twins with singletons born within a couple years on both sides of the twins. We survived by using something termed "survival mode." Standards fall, and it's okay. We got through it.

I actually started homeschooling when my twins were one years old--and I found homeschooling far easier! If you doubt that, just imagine how easy it would be to feed them all in the morning after having been up several times throughout the night, assemble lunches, gather all supplies into backpacks, pack up two babies and a toddler into a car seat, (including in the winter with heavy coats, etc.) and after all that chaos, stay home all alone with three very little people. Then in the evenings after you are utterly exhausted, the school children return home and you must feed snacks to the hungry, tired school children, help them with homework (that may seem utterly pointless and/or confusing to even bright college graduates with even an adequate amount of sleep), fix dinner feed everyone and try to clean up, possible before heading off to some sports practice, all while juggling the needs of the baby twins and the toddler. That was the routine five days a week, followed by two days of a different routine on weekends. Babies and toddlers thrive on routine, and mine didn't seem to comprehend the 5 days alone with mom most of the day, 2 days of brothers and dad with mom. Homeschooling changed that crazy rhythm and brought sanity back to our world!

• Like 4

I never went on bedrest or kept my feet up much and I still got full term big babies... they did not sleep, but I don't think that was much related, just their personalities and luck of the draw... still, they were big and healthy and there were no preterm worries about them and if possible, that's what you want. My midwives made me read Barbara Luke's multiples book. She's an ob and wrote about the research about nutrition. To sum it up in a sentence: eat a boatload of good protein every single day. Dh would keep count for me. My goal was 100 grams of protein every day. I agree though... a lot of twins end up in the NICU. Most will be completely fine, but do everything you can to keep you and them healthy - an ounce of prevention and all that. First line of defense is that diet. Next line is rest and feet up if you have to.

:iagree: Agreeing! Farrar, did you have cravings? I had the most incredible cravings for eggs, it was unbelievable! I ate at least 7-8 eggs a day, plus chicken, hummus, protein shakes, and so on. Always wanted steamed veggies, go figure.

Back then, I heard from a lot of twin moms that their OBs tried to limit calorie intake, down to ridiculous levels -- like what you'd be on if you were not pregnant at all, and trying to lose weight! Most twin moms ended up ignoring this advice, LOL. My OB sent me to a "nutritionist" who gave this advice, and when she walked out of the room, the nurse said, "Oh, Honey, you need to feed these babies. You need to eat!" I followed her advice.

That was nine years ago, though, so practice may have caught up with the research?

I wonder if having a toddler to chase after and lift and lug could be part of what set off contractions?

Anyway, best of all things to the OP. Keep us posted on how things are going. :)

• Like 1

Congratulations!

We have twins with singletons born within a couple years on both sides of the twins. We survived by using something termed "survival mode." Standards fall, and it's okay. We got through it.

I actually started homeschooling when my twins were one years old--and I found homeschooling far easier! If you doubt that, just imagine how easy it would be to feed them all in the morning after having been up several times throughout the night, assemble lunches, gather all supplies into backpacks, pack up two babies and a toddler into a car seat, (including in the winter with heavy coats, etc.) and after all that chaos, stay home all alone with three very little people. Then in the evenings after you are utterly exhausted, the school children return home and you must feed snacks to the hungry, tired school children, help them with homework (that may seem utterly pointless and/or confusing to even bright college graduates with even an adequate amount of sleep), fix dinner feed everyone and try to clean up, possible before heading off to some sports practice, all while juggling the needs of the baby twins and the toddler. That was the routine five days a week, followed by two days of a different routine on weekends. Babies and toddlers thrive on routine, and mine didn't seem to comprehend the 5 days alone with mom most of the day, 2 days of brothers and dad with mom. Homeschooling changed that crazy rhythm and brought sanity back to our world!

These have been my thoughts as the comments are now coming in---"well you'll have to put them in school now!" Neighbors said that when I was pregnant last time too though and that was a singleton.

But honestly, having older kids at home with my 1 year old has been a very different experience for me. And to tell you the truth I don't know what to do with the baby when my big kids are gone for the day. She gets bored when it's just us two. It's a breeze compared to the days we had 3 children 5 and under and no family near by to help.

Not to say there haven't been challenges. Being more flexible with school was an adjustment. I often felt stressed we weren't doing enough but when we finished last year I realized in retrospect that we accomplished a lot! And i had to let go of the idea I could keep all the balls in the air. We cut back on activities outside the home. We didn't do as much elaborate hands on stuff, and went on few field trips the first year (but a ton this summer).

But I think the idea of being alone all day with 3 babies is probably scarier than homeschooling my older kids.

• Like 1

These have been my thoughts as the comments are now coming in---"well you'll have to put them in school now!" Neighbors said that when I was pregnant last time too though and that was a singleton.

But honestly, having older kids at home with my 1 year old has been a very different experience for me. And tell you the truth I don't know what to do with the baby when my big kids are fine for the day. She gets bored when it's just us two. It's a breeze compared to the days we had 3 children 5 and under and no family's near by to help.

Not to say there haven't been challenges. Being more flexible with school was an adjustment. I often felt stressed we weren't doing enough but when we finished last year I realized in retrospect that we accomplished a lot! And i had to let go of the idea I could keep all the balls in the air. We cut back on activities outside the home. We didn't do as much elaborate hands on stuff, and went on few field trips the first year (but a ton this summer).

But I think the idea of being alone all day with 3 babies is probably scarier than homeschooling my older kids.

One day my FIL walked in and said "this place looks like a daycare."  I said, "IT IS." :lol:

It goes by fast, you know this.  I think it went by faster with twins, but I had only done it once before, so maybe that's why. We took a lot of walks as long as the weather was above 50.  Sometimes 2 a day. :laugh:   I also put them all to bed early, like 7:00 early, so that i could have a few hours to myself. 

It's exhausting, and hard, but it's also so much fun, and so rewarding.  I'd never change it, all of the work was doubly worth it. ^_^

• Like 1

One day my FIL walked in and said "this place looks like a daycare." I said, "IT IS." :lol:

It goes by fast, you know this. I think it went by faster with twins, but I had only done it once before, so maybe that's why. We took a lot of walks as long as the weather was above 50. Sometimes 2 a day. :laugh: I also put them all to bed early, like 7:00 early, so that i could have a few hours to myself.

It's exhausting, and hard, but it's also so much fun, and so rewarding. I'd never change it, all of the work was doubly worth it. ^_^

My baby goes to bed around 7:00 / 7:30 so we get family time with the big kids and then I still have an hour or two to myseld once they go to bed and it works great. She's also an awesome napper. She took two 2-hr naps from about 6 month old to 15 months. Now she takes a solid 3 hr nap after lunch. Lots of time to do school while she naps!
  • Like 1

You. Are. So. Lucky.

It won't always feel that way, but you are so lucky.

I only had twins. I wished I'd had a guinea pig child to practice on. I felt hit by tidal wave, but you're an old pro at the mom-gig.

If anyone is offering help: take it. Don't "be strong." Take as much help as you can get -- as long as the person offering is sane. If you're dealing w/ a nut, it'll just make life harder on you.

And remember: postpartum depression is real. See your doctor if you're crying way too much in a single day. My DH didn't notice a thing. I finally picked myself up and got to the doctor.

Always sleep when the babies sleep. Let the house go as much as you can. Hire a teen to do laundry and little things if you can. Get, take, demand help!

Have a wonderful time -- I know the first year is hard -- but have a wonderful time as much as you can.

Alley

• Like 2

Twins are amazing! Watching my 3yo's play together and go every were together is such a blessing. The other day one of them got hurt and his twin brother came up to me and said his heart hurt because his brother was hurt. I remember being so worried about having twins and after I delivered feeling like I was the luckiest person in the maternity ward since I was able to take home two babies rather than one. That amazing feeling you have holding your baby for the first time is doubled. :) 

I started homeschooling when the twins were 22months so I had a little bit of time and that first year with twins is tough. At 22 months I could just put one of those door knob lock things on the door and keep them in the homeschool room with us with toys. The next year I put a bunch of toys in a closet and would rotate them and I did a lot of schooling during nap time. I also started rotating my girls with math. One plays with the twins while the other does math with me then they switch. That has been a lifesaver for us. If you can get a mothers helper once a week or a maid every other week it would help. For my baby shower gift my MIL paid for a maid the first year twice a month. It helped to know my house was clean 2x a month. Even if that was the only 2x it was really clean... 

• Like 1

You. Are. So. Lucky.

It won't always feel that way, but you are so lucky.

I only had twins. I wished I'd had a guinea pig child to practice on. I felt hit by tidal wave, but you're an old pro at the mom-gig.

If anyone is offering help: take it. Don't "be strong." Take as much help as you can get -- as long as the person offering is sane. If you're dealing w/ a nut, it'll just make life harder on you.

And remember: postpartum depression is real. See your doctor if you're crying way too much in a single day. My DH didn't notice a thing. I finally picked myself up and got to the doctor.

Always sleep when the babies sleep. Let the house go as much as you can. Hire a teen to do laundry and little things if you can. Get, take, demand help!

Have a wonderful time -- I know the first year is hard -- but have a wonderful time as much as you can.

Alley

Congratulations! I didn't have twins, but I wanted to add that postpartum anxiety is real too. Because I had a history of depression, my doctor, husband, and I were all watching for postpartum depression. That never came, but we completely missed the anxiety until I couldn't go grocery shopping because I was convinced that th van parked down the street was casing my house and would immediately break in and steal my computer (with all my pictures of my babies - that's what I cared about) if I left the house. It's been a long road coming back from the anxiety, and I wish I had caught it sooner.