Menu

When did 'idea' become part of a noun?

Maybe it's always been there but I don't remember learning it in grammar school. My mom doesn't remember it either. She remembers being taught 'idea' words are adjectives.

I know why it's a noun, I just don't know when it was actually declared a noun... is it more recent?

The Google (or my Google skill) failed me in this.

I always thought that adding "idea" to the definition was redundant as an idea is a kind of thing.  I remember learning the idea part of the definition sometime during my childhood.  It must have been sometime after I had heard the Schoolhouse Rock noun song because I've always felt the idea part sounded tacked on.

• Like 2

I'm in my 50's and it's always been there for me.  We even did diagramming in school.  I don't think it was part of the definition:  A noun was a person, place or thing.   But they always explained that things could be concrete or abstract.  I seem to remember "love" being used as an example of abstract.  

• Like 2

Maybe it's always been there but I don't remember learning it in grammar school. My mom doesn't remember it either. She remembers being taught 'idea' words are adjectives.

I don't understand the bolded. In the sentence "Love is blind", "love" would be considered an adjective?

I learned it as "person, place, or thing" but always with an explanation that some "things" were intangible.

• Like 6

A noun was always a person, place, thing or idea up through the mid 80's at least (ps in CA). Look at Schoolhouse Rock from the 70's, LOL.

The idea is abstract like justice, freedom or love—I guess it's really a type of "thing," an abstract thing. I am noticing in my own DC's curricula it often is not there and a noun is defined as just a person, place or thing. I think this is a "dumbing down" (just my humble opinion) as if kids today can't understand anything abstract on its own and/or remember four items.

I cannot see how an idea like freedom is an adjective (?) I have never seen that before.

I always teach a noun as a person, place, thing or (abstract) idea.

I didn't learn "person, place, thing, idea". But we talked about abstract things being included.

I've always thought the definition was so clumsy. Person are things, places are things, ideas are things, animals are things, plants are things, etc. Nouns are names of things. Why do we need the details? It just seems silly.

• Like 3

We were taught about abstract nouns at school - I'm 36 now. Also putting a "the" or "a/an" in front of it as a single concept helps. 

The patience required to...

The love that...

The honesty in that statement...

You can also add adjectives to these words. I have eternal patience. His brutal honesty was evident - then it is clearer that they are nouns.

• Like 2

I learned "person, place or thing." I think it wasn't until my dc were school age that I ever heard "person, place, thing or idea," and this was only through American TV and educational material. I still don't think it's widely used in Canada.

I think they just added that later because a lot of kids do have a problem with abstract nouns.  

I am 37.  I remember when they told us in about 4th grade that nouns were persons, places, things, OR ideas.  Up until then they hadn't told us about the idea part.  It was always there but deemed to complicated for little kids to learn apparently.  When I complained to my mom about this, she told me that, yes, ideas have always been nouns.  She learned that in school.  She is 69.

• Like 2

I was taught "person, place, or thing," in elementary school and ideas were categorized as abstract things. When I was a little older, I heard the phrase, "person, place, thing, or idea," and I use that for my kids even though I think it's redundant because it is clear.

• Like 2

• 7 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Usually anywhere from 4th to 8th grade is when "idea" is taught as being a noun.   At least in the past they usually didn't teach "idea" until later grades because it's a harder concept.

But the parts of speech have always been about how a word is used.

For instance, if I have "red" hair...red is an adjective. But in the last part of the sentence where I talked about how "red is an adjective"...there red is a noun because it's the subject of the sentence. 

I can spray something (and spray is a verb there).   But if I am talking about how the "spray" hit me, then it's a noun.   And in the phrase "spray bottle," spray is an adjective because it's describing bottle (a noun). 

Ideas could always be nouns.   You can love someone, or talk about love and what love means. 

Parts of speech have more to do with how the word is used in a sentence than what "type" of word it is.

If it's the subject, it's a noun.

If it's what the subject is doing (or being), it's a verb.

If it's describing the subject, it's an adjective.

Edited by goldenecho
  • Like 1