Menu

Omelette ideas...

Okra

I was at the local diner, and they had a special with bacon, onion, mushrooms, and cream cheese in an omelette.

It was delicious!  I had never thought of putting cream cheese in an omelette.

What else am I missing?  Will you guys post your favorite omelette recipes?

I like goat cheese and mushrooms. The cheese gets all melty and lovely, prob like the cream cheese you mention, as it's just about the same consistency.

Cheddar cheese with onions and peppers is good, too (that might be a Denver omelette).

• Like 3

I was at the local diner, and they had a special with bacon, onion, mushrooms, and cream cheese in an omelette.

It was delicious! I had never thought of putting cream cheese in an omelette.

What else am I missing? Will you guys post your favorite omelette recipes?

I've copied ones they used to sell at Perkins... turkey, bacon, tomatoes and Hollandaise. It is so good!

The other has ham, cheese, tomatoes and sour cream.

I do peppers, onions, mushrooms, and spaghetti sauce (no meat).

We also do "Messy eggs" which is similar to an omelette except messier. You take cooked hash browns (or tater tots or fried potatoes, etc... ) fry them up in a bit of oil  with peppers, mushrooms, onions, ham/bacon.  Pour scrambled eggs over them, add diced tomato (so it doesn't end up too soft) and cook till mostly solid  flip not fold (often falls apart into large chuncks) cook on other side until done. Top with lots of cheese.

• Like 2

I do peppers, onions, mushrooms, and spaghetti sauce (no meat).

We also do "Messy eggs" which is similar to an omelette except messier. You take cooked hash browns (or tater tots or fried potatoes, etc... ) fry them up in a bit of oil  with peppers, mushrooms, onions, ham/bacon.  Pour scrambled eggs over them, add diced tomato (so it doesn't end up too soft) and cook till mostly solid  flip not fold (often falls apart into large chuncks) cook on other side until done. Top with lots of cheese.

The Pioneer Woman has a recipe much like this "Messy Eggs" one. My kids call it "Pioneer eggs". We use sausage in it.

Yummmmm!

• Like 1

I sometimes do mexican ones. Taco meat and salsa, topped with sour cream. Or chorizo and cheese and salsa. Or just homemade salsa and cheddar. 

I like feta, spinach, onion and tomato, esp with bacon grease as the cooking fat! 

Dh likes his with crunchy veggies like raw red bell peppers, green onions, alfalfa sprouts along with a mild melty cheese like monterey jack or fontina.

I like smoked gouda and mushrooms. One of my favorites. Excellent in quiche too!

Dh has been known to use a leftover piece of meatloaf and whatever veggies are leftover from that dinner and just mix them right into his scrambled eggs! 

• Like 1

When we have big leafy greens in the garden (collards, chard, even soft herbs like basil), I like to do a chiffonade and cut them into little strips. It's healthy-ish and it looks like green party streamers in the omelet.

• Like 2

We sometimes do Spanish omelettes. You start with finely diced potatoes (leftover are fine), add onion and diced peppers, then add the eggs, mixing everything together. Very filling.

Dd likes dessert omelettes. Add a bit of sugar to the egg mixture, then put jelly or jam in the center and fold over. My favorite preserve for this is IKEA lignonberries..

I've copied ones they used to sell at Perkins... turkey, bacon, tomatoes and Hollandaise. It is so good!

The other has ham, cheese, tomatoes and sour cream.

I finally found a foolproof poaching method so I'd have an excuse to consume obscene amounts of hollandaise sauce. My recipe is supposed to serve four, but I don't share and eat it in one sitting.

Have egg prices increased for everyone? I know they are still a relatively cheap protein but they've really jumped in price around here.

Oh, gosh. We usually get ours from the CSA, and I was shocked when I saw the prices at the store yesterday (because our CSA eggs ran out).