Menu

Where would you go?

JustEm

Where have these people already been, what do they like, and how much time are we talking about?

We've done a month in the Bahamas for less or it could be a long weekend at a sort of luxury place.

We're talking one week minimum, two weeks max. I spent 5 weeks in Ecuador and Galapagos islands which was awesome. Other than that I haven't really been anywhere. I like hiking and pretty much immersing myself in any culture. 2 places I have no interest in going are France and England(at least on this trip.) I also don't want to do one of those all inclusive resorts.

Dh has been to Bahamas and Hawaii. He enjoys hiking as well. Doesn't care too much about immersing himself in cultures but is open to whatever I want to do because he knows he'll enjoy it once there.

I would have such a hard time choosing!  

Our first choice would probably be Uzbekistan.  We'd also love to rent a car and poke around Jerusalem, Palestine, and Israel.  Renting a car in the Yucatan was one of our best trips ever.  I'd love to go to Machu Picchu.  Or Turkey.  Or Cambodia. Or a million other places.

• Like 1

4000 is the max we're willing to spend. Obviously we don't have to spend that much. We've talked Italy, Ireland, Spain, or south america. But we've also talked just doing the west coast and hitting redwood national park, crater lake, some amusement park, and other things on the coast.

I would have such a hard time choosing!

Our first choice would probably be Uzbekistan. We'd also love to rent a car and poke around Jerusalem, Palestine, and Israel. Renting a car in the Yucatan was one of our best trips ever. I'd love to go to Machu Pichu. Or Turkey. Or Cambodia. Or a million other places.

Exactly my problem. The more I think about it the harder time I have deciding what would be best. Machu Picchu is another places I've considered.

• Like 1

I would just say, $4000 won't get you very far in Europe after airfare unless you find a package deal somewhere.  If you go somewhere like South America, at least stuff is generally cheaper when you get there!

We did most of Europe by train, which was more affordable.

I don't know what we spent per person, though.  (I don't want to think about it.  :P)

• Like 1

We did most of Europe by train, which was more affordable.

I don't know what we spent per person, though.  (I don't want to think about it.  :p)

Well, my son and I are going to Italy next summer for 10 days and it's running us like 6000+ by current calculations.  We're just flying into Italy and traveling by bus/train after that. 

I would just say, $4000 won't get you very far in Europe after airfare unless you find a package deal somewhere. If you go somewhere like South America, at least stuff is generally cheaper when you get there!

I was going to say the same thing- airfare to Europe will take up almost half your money.

Airfare to South America is much cheaper, and the flights shorter.

Do you want to travel.from place to place during that time or pick a destination and stay there and day trip out and explore the local area?

Most likely pick a location and do trips/ explore local area. At the most we would stay one place for half the trip then travel to another place for the last part of the trip and fly out of that area.

4000 is the max we're willing to spend. Obviously we don't have to spend that much. We've talked Italy, Ireland, Spain, or south america. But we've also talked just doing the west coast and hitting redwood national park, crater lake, some amusement park, and other things on the coast.

Your budget will be stretched quite a bit in Europe IMO.

With hiking, etc, another option to consider would be Yellowstone.  Grand Teton NP is right there too.  Those are two true gems of US National Parks that are well worth having on a Bucket List.

Crater Lake is gorgeous, and worth a visit, but not a ton of things to do there to fill a week or two.  Combining it with Redwood is definitely an option.  Personally, we like the "big" trees best in Sequoia, but that would be quite the drive - ok if you like a road trip aspect.

If preferring outside the US options, we enjoyed the Canadian Maritimes (Bay of Fundy area) including Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, and Prince Edward Island quite a bit, but it's very laid back, so not for everyone.  We also road tripped that a bit rather than using "a" spot and heading out.

Pending season, Central America could be appealing, but in summer, I prefer north.

• Like 1

I would go back to SE Asia, we spent 2 weeks in Thailand, 3 days in Cambodia and a week in South Korea last April and I loved it, I would love to have more time in Cambodia and get to Vietnam as well.  Your money can go far there and there is just so much to see and experience.  Cambodia is my favorite place on Earth thus far.  Happy travelling. 

• Like 1

$4000 won't even get me a week at Disney. 

With just two adults (no kids) I can't fathom wanting to spend a week at Disney.  Triple that if it's summer.   :)

That said, I love the variety of the Hive.  It gives us all many different experiences and viewpoints to glean from.

• Like 1

Hj, when do you want to go? (Did I miss that upthread?) I think with $4K, I'd stick with the US and with airports served by Southwest (since I know you live near two airports ;)) We've been getting good airfare with SW to places like Seattle, San Francisco, LAX, and San Diego------and some of those have been non-stop flights!

• Like 2

Well, if you want europe, check out flight deals. They can be found. We found tickets from LA to Denmark (non stop) for $550 a person recently. If you live near a big city (or could take a train to one) then it might be doable.

I would do Italy (few days in Rome, trip to Capri/Amalfi and then up on the train to florence, venice then back to rome to fly home). Stay in pensiones.

I'd go to Turkey.  It's one of those places I've always wanted to visit.  Such amazing history, too.  Plus great food. :)

I've always wanted to take the Canadian railway trip from Banff to Vancouver.  Not sure if $4k would cover it.

Hmmm.....what fun!  I hope whatever you decide that you have a great trip!

I'd do New York. I'm a museum person. I also love musicals/plays and have never seen one on Broadway. We were in California this past June and we are just not sun and surf people. I'd like to go over seas but didn't realize 4,000$ would be enough.

• Like 1

I've costed myself out two trips, one to London and the Cotswolds, for a week, and one to Scotland.  I managed to budged each fot me alone for $2000.  But - no cars, and very inexpensive shelter.

Where I am in Nova Scotia can be nice to visit if you want to stay in North America.  Halifax is a fun city and there are also lots of pretty rural areas and outdoorsy-adventure things.  there are some really great music festivals as well, especially if you like roots and folk music.

• Like 1

$4000 won't even get me a week at Disney. So I would probably just buy a piece of furniture. Sorry, I am no help.

if it were between Disney or furniture I'd pick furniture everyime. Nothing about Disney sounds appealing to me!

• Like 2

I don't know if that would be enough for some of the suggestions... like Australia or Thailand, just because of airfares. But it depends what coast you're flying out of, I guess.

I'd probably try to do something in Europe or Central America. Costa Rica was a great trip for us years ago. We did have the kids (it's a great place to take young kids... no one thinks it's weird you brought your kids and everyone wants to play with them and teach them Spanish nursery rhymes) but it would have been a good trip without too.

Hj, when do you want to go? (Did I miss that upthread?) I think with $4K, I'd stick with the US and with airports served by Southwest (since I know you live near two airports ;)) We've been getting good airfare with SW to places like Seattle, San Francisco, LAX, and San Diego------and some of those have been non-stop flights!

Not sure when exactly yet.  Youngest has to be weaned so not until she is at least a year old. Where we decide to go will determine when because I'd prefer comfortable weather as opposed to really hot or cold. So most likely a year or year and a half.  Right now our top idea is the west coast.  But Central or South America are still greatly on my radar.  I think $4000 would go a long way in South or Central America.  If we choose Europe we may wait a bit longer and increase our budget.

• Like 1

I don't know if that would be enough for some of the suggestions... like Australia or Thailand, just because of airfares. But it depends what coast you're flying out of, I guess.

I'd probably try to do something in Europe or Central America. Costa Rica was a great trip for us years ago. We did have the kids (it's a great place to take young kids... no one thinks it's weird you brought your kids and everyone wants to play with them and teach them Spanish nursery rhymes) but it would have been a good trip without too.

Agreed.  Australia would be my go to place but no way is $4000 enough so it's simply not an option.  Maybe in the future.

Just for reference, if you're looking at Central America, we went to the Yucatan for 10 days in January with four people.  We rented a car which was fairly expensive since we dropped it off at a different location, but you could easily do a looping road trip and drop it off at the same airport to save around 500 dollars.  Our hotels and food combined were around $50/day for all four of us.  It would be easy to do a trip like that for two people with $4000 including airfare.  Mexico is a really easy country to travel around with good roads and that part of the country is very safe.  The food is inexpensive and delicious and there is so much to see if you want to travel around a lot, or you could just go to Merida and Campeche for a few days each and do some day trips.

• Like 2

Also - I know a few people who have gone to Iceland and fond it a really great trip.  It's an easy flight from here which is part of the reason it's economical, so it might be less so depending on where you start.

Iceland last year was WONDERFUL!

We booked with expedia getting a lodging/flight combo so there was a discount. It was $4400.00 for three of us. We stayed in an apartment - Room with a View - very quiet, fully stocked kitchen, huge bathroom, daily clean towels, bath tub was a Jacuzzi tub, etc.

Food is expensive so the kitchen was a definite plus. There was a "Bonus" just down the street - a grocery store - had meats, fresh produce, frozen foods, bread, dairy, etc. It is NOT cheap however cooking for us and packing sandwiches and fruit for our tours still saved us a lot of money. I cooked eggs with ham and cheese each morning and toast, made sandwiches to take with us, and then made spaghetti or pork chops or fish for supper with potatoes and salad.

There is a Subway and a Sbarros not too far from Room with a View and other hotels on the main drag. I think it was about $11.00 for a footlong.

The Golden Circle Tour is soooo worth it if you can afford it. We also did the cave tour under Reykjavik, whale watching, and a couple of other tours whose titles escape me at the moment. We didn't do Blue Lagoon because the trip was for middle teenage boy who saved up enough to go, and he wasn't interested in that.

• Like 2