Menu

What elementary math curriculum/curricula will you be using in 2015-2016? Multiple choice poll

IfIOnly

What elementary math curriculum/curricula will you be using in 2015-2016? Multiple choice poll  

310 members have voted

1. 1. What elementary math curriculum/curricula will you be using in 2015-2016? Multiple choice poll

• A+ Interactive Math
    • Arithmetic series-A Beka
    • Calvert Math
    • Chalk Dust
    • Christian Light Education (CLE) Mathematics
    • CTC Math
    • Developmental Mathematics
    • enVisionMATH
    • Excel Math
    • Horizons Math
    • JUMP at Home Math
    • Learn Math Fast System
    • Liberty Mathematics
    • Life of Fred
    • Making Math Meaningful
    • MasterMath
    • BJU Press
    • Math in Focus: The Singapore Approach
    • Math Mammoth
    • **You have to vote on both questions to answer the poll, so pick this option if your curriculum/curricula is in the continued section**
  2. 2. Continued: What elementary math curriculum/curricula will you be using in 2015-2016? Multiple choice poll

• Math Works!
    • Mathematical Reasoning
    • Math-U-See
    • Miquon
    • Modern Curriculum Press (MCP) Mathematics
    • Moving with Math
    • Primary Mathematics (Please vote for "Singapore Math" if using Singapore, as they're the same curriculum-Sorry!)
    • Progress in Mathematics (Sadlier)
    • Right Start Math
    • Rod and Staff's Mathematics for Christian Living series
    • Saxon Math
    • Shiller Math
    • Singapore Math
    • Teaching Tape Technology
    • Teaching Textbooks
    • Math on the Level
    • **You have to vote on both questions to answer the poll, so pick this option if your curriculum/curricula is in the first section**
    • Beast Academy
    • Mathematics Enhancement Programme (MEP)
    • Ray's Arithmetic Series

I am curious and used Cathy Duffy's math index on her website for curricula choices. Let me know if I left something out, and I'll add it to the poll.  Thanks for voting! I'd love to hear additional info. about your math choices this year, too, so please comment! 

ETA: The poll feature isn't set up have more than 20 answers to a question and requires you to answer all the questions in order to vote, so this poll is set up the best I could with the limited options. 

ETA: Added: Beast Academy

MEP

Ray's 

ETA: If using Singapore, Please vote for "Singapore Math" rather than Primary Mathematics, as they're the same curriculum. Sorry!

MEP for one child, Jousting Armadillos for the other (this is a pre-algebra program so I don't think you should necessarily add it...).

Previously we used MM, Math in Focus, Miquon, and Beast Academy at various points. MM and Math in Focus had good points, but we decided to leave them. Miquon and Beast we finished.

• Like 1

MEP for one child, Jousting Armadillos for the other (this is a pre-algebra program so I don't think you should necessarily add it...).

Previously we used MM, Math in Focus, Miquon, and Beast Academy at various points. MM and Math in Focus had good points, but we decided to leave them. Miquon and Beast we finished.

DS/K will use Rod and Staff 1.

DD/2nd will use Horizons 3.

DD/5th will use Art of Problem Solving. (prealg, not Beast, so I didn't vote for her)

DS/7th will also use upper Art of Problem Solving

Farrar and SilverMoon, I'll leave pre algebra out of this one, even though I know some elementary kids get to it before Jr. High. Thanks for voting!

Couldn't vote because I'm not using anything from the first group. We are using Singapore and Beast Academy (and might start RS A with preschooler)

Also using AoPS for 8th grader

Targhee, you'd need to pick the ****You have to vote on both questions to answer the poll, so pick this option if your curriculum/curricula is in the continued section** on the first section, and it will let you vote!

• Like 1

You have Singapore listed twice.

I'm using Singapore and beast with 10yo, Singapore and school aid/conventional arithmetic with spunky (not on your list) with 8yo, Singapore and possibly miquon with 5yo.

Cathy Duffy had Primary Mathematics and Singapore Math as separate curricula. Are they the same?

ETA: Is "school aid/conventional arithmetic with spunky" the name of a curriculum? Thanks!

DS/K will use Rod and Staff 1.

DD/2nd will use Horizons 3.

DD/5th will use Art of Problem Solving. (prealg, not Beast, so I didn't vote for her)

DS/7th will also use upper Art of Problem Solving

Glad I'm not the only one with a variety!

I will be using MEP 1-2 with my 6-7yo, first grader-ish.

I will be using Singapore 5 with my 10yo fifth grader.

I will be using Saxon Algebra 1 with my 13yo eighth grader, but I didn't include her in my vote, since she's not really elementary.

Might use MEP Reception with my 4yo preKer but I think that's unlikely.

• Like 2

Derail not meant for the poll:

Glad I'm not the only one with a variety!

I will be using MEP 1-2 with my 6-7yo, first grader-ish.

I will be using Singapore 5 with my 10yo fifth grader.

I will be using Saxon Algebra 1 with my 13yo eighth grader, but I didn't include her in my vote, since she's not really elementary.

Might use MEP Reception with my 4yo preKer but I think that's unlikely.

I have more than that if it helps you feel better. ;) DD/10th will use both MCP and AoPS, and DS/11th will either work with a tutor (using Larson book) or use Teaching Textbooks.

I firmly believe putting them each in the book that serves the individual best streamlines our day far more efficiently than one-size fits all. :)

• Like 3

Those are the same. The name is primary mathematics. It's from Singapore. Most people call it Singapore math. Maybe it's full name is Singapore primary mathematics.

School aid is the publisher, conventional arithmetic with spunky the donkey is the name of the math program. It's just grades 1-2. It's written to precede study time arithmetic.

CSMP as well as a few options already included in the poll.

The problem with adding Schoolaid's Learning with Spunky and Study Time and Comprehensive School Mathematics Program (CSMP) is I'd have to make a third section which would make voting even more confusing! Ha! Thanks for mentioning these, and if I have additional curricula come up, then I may go ahead and make this poll even more complicated. :p

I predict the percentages will stay about the same on these, even though the sample size is really low. I think Singapore, MM, and CLE generally have the most users followed by Saxon, MEP, Miquon, Horizons, Right Start, and Life of Fred. The Beast numbers surprise me a little.

But I think it's worth noting that the most popular program is not always the best for you or you kid. :)

• Like 5

Grade by Age: DD - entering 1st I think.  Miquon.  Fred.  Khan

DS: 3rd maybe 4th?  Fred, Khan + some locally produced stuff and Jousting Armadillos, etc.  I'd be using AOPS if I could get it here for a reasonable cost.  Probably Alcumus at some point.

• Like 1

I just looked at Beast Academy and Life of Fred, since they are so popular here and I don't know much about them.

I showed dd14 the LoF Apples sample.  (I picked Apples just because it was the first one.)  I thought that he might like the story aspect.  He didn't even finish reading the first page before he was full of questions. Why is a 5-year-old going for a walk at 5 a.m.?  Why...   So glad I didn't choose LoF for this child.   :lol:

Beast Academy looks fun, but I don't think dd7 (my nightmare girl) would be into it.

OP, Thanks for the survey.  It's been very interesting!!

• Like 1

I just looked at Beast Academy and Life of Fred, since they are so popular here and I don't know much about them.

I showed dd14 the LoF Apples sample.  (I picked Apples just because it was the first one.)  I thought that he might like the story aspect.  He didn't even finish reading the first page before he was full of questions. Why is a 5-year-old going for a walk at 5 a.m.?  Why...   So glad I didn't choose LoF for this child.   :lol:

Beast Academy looks fun, but I don't think dd7 (my nightmare girl) would be into it.

OP, Thanks for the survey.  It's been very interesting!!

With four boys who feed off of each other's silliness, there's no way BA would work here. They would want to be viewing each other's lessons rather than staying on task or would be calling each other in constantly to see something cool or funny or whatever.  :glare:  :lol:

• Like 1

With four boys who feed off of each other's silliness, there's no way BA would work here. They would want to be viewing each other's lessons rather than staying on task or would be calling each other in constantly to see something cool or funny or whatever.  :glare:  :lol:

But they would learn!!  At this point, I think I'm going to stick with what I know.  But if I ever have grandchildren... :)

• Like 2

Do I get brownie points if I chose one from each category, eliminating the need to pick other for either question?

Haha! It's the little things, right?

But they would learn!!  At this point, I think I'm going to stick with what I know.  But if I ever have grandchildren... :)

It's true. My youngers like to pal around with their older siblings during their TT math. :)

I voted TT which 2 will be using, but I have a younger one using McRuffy as well.

Oh, I clicked everything we'll be using, even though we mostly use Saxon we do LoF for a read aloud and my older daughter will go to public K part-time where they use Envision -- so we've used some of that as well, although I have a really hard time dealing with their word problems. 

It kind of makes me wonder if it's the norm to use 3-5 curricula per subject!

• Like 1

With that many options , you'd think that would cover them all! Goes to show just how blessed we are with curricula. 

I am and will be using Math Lessons for  a Living Education with my now 5th grader. We are sad that it only goes to the 5th grade and are hoping Angela Odell decides to write a Year 6. 

• Like 1