Menu

s/o Is it appropriate to take a concealed weapon into someone else's home

Amira

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honest question though: Do you not feel like many people would feel trapped into a position of either being 'rude' or inviting you in regardless of their feelings rather than having you stuck on the porch? I think many would feel obligated to invite a guest in at that point, despite misgivings.

Um... No? I've never encountered an issue. Remember, these people know me and are friends or acquaintances. The few who do not have a standing welcome with firearms I have simple said "hey! I was running by to grab ______ and I have my sidearm on me, so I'll just hang out here while you grab it :) ". Then they either go get the kid/dish/check or shoo me in.

I've never had it be awkward. The closest was an instructor who said she was grateful I said something and preferred no guns in her home. I stayed outdoors that one time (picking up a kid) and every other occasion made a point to leave my firearm at home before going to her place.

It has been a total non issue. A good half of our friends have guns, themselves, which may make a difference.

Since a legally licensed concealed weapon properly secured on one's person is actually very safe, I find these "don't enter my house if you CC" to be a kind of discrimination.  It kinda sounds like "don't enter if you have AIDS."  Would it be right to expect people to say, before crossing your threshold, "I have AIDS, are you OK with that?"  Some people are uncomfortable around things they aren't used to, but since when is that an excuse to treat people like scum?

It's one thing to say people are not allowed to *do* xyz in your house.  But treating people differently because of what they are wearing under their clothes is more about who they are, not what they are doing in your house.

You wouldn't even know if they didn't tell you, so doesn't that indicate the whole "CC would put my family in danger" is illogical?

• Like 1

Mass shootings will have that affect.

DH and I both grew up in families and areas where gun ownership was normal. Strangely enough, I can't recall anyone from then who felt the need to concealed carry.

Is it possible you just never knew? Most serious firearms enthusiasts and CC permit holders, in particular, are very discreet with their firearms. They don't announce or brandish them - the only time it comes up is if someone accidentally has their firearm with them and they're heading to a restricted area or private property.

My husband worked at a company five years before it came up in conversation that he a CC'd every single day. He wore a tactical vest, complete with NRA logo, and nobody suspected. They were totally in the dark. He never brought it out, brought it up, or looked like he was packing heat. It never had a reason to come up because he didn't encounter a threatening animal or human while in the building.

Most of the people I know who CC, especially moms, you'd never, ever guess unles they said something. They're normal, safe, well adjusted human beings who don't have anything to prove with a gun. I believe that is how it should be - a non issue.

My husband and I would ONLY bring it up if we got stuck in a situation like I described in the previous post, where we were out with our firearm on us and had to pick something up or run an errand. If we haven't remembered to lock it into our car and make it to the front door that's when we stop short and stay there unless invited in.

It's happens end to us maybe four times in the last ten years. We either just plan ahead or are welcome where we are going with it, or don't have it on our person. But it goes on with the wallet and keys, especially for my husband. My gun is a bit heavy for me these days and I haven't purchased my preferred lighter weight model yet.

Anyway... Given the statistics it seems more likely you just didn't know someone was a CC permit holder than that you didn't actually know anyone, especially in an area where hunting or gun culture is popular and obtaining firearms isn't overly difficult. That's just my guess based on my experience :)

Since a legally licensed concealed weapon properly secured on one's person is actually very safe, I find these "don't enter my house if you CC" to be a kind of discrimination. It kinda sounds like "don't enter if you have AIDS." Would it be right to expect people to say, before crossing your threshold, "I have AIDS, are you OK with that?" Some people are uncomfortable around things they aren't used to, but since when is that an excuse to treat people like scum?

It's one thing to say people are not allowed to *do* xyz in your house. But treating people differently because of what they are wearing under their clothes is more about who they are, not what they are doing in your house.

You wouldn't even know if they didn't tell you, so doesn't that indicate the whole "CC would put my family in danger" is illogical?

I don't disagree with your assessment - it's enough of a pain to get the permit that most of us who have it are the kind who are absolutely fastidious with safety and handling, as well as rule followers (because let's face it, CC without a permit is a lot less of a pain, those who go through the process and get into the database tend to be the good, honest sort).

Still though, some people have visceral reactions to guns. They're afraid. I was that way when I came to Alaska, having been trained in the phobic-of-all-guns Southern California. I decided to face down that terror with a hunter ed class in college and got comfortable handling and cleaning all sorts of firearms, along with my certification from that class. The rest is history. But prior to that, having grown up in a place with almost no guns (except criminals) and mass shootings being vivid in my brain from childhood, it was a big culture shock to come to a place where they were open, easy and casual. And it was a lengthy process of personal education and handling to get over sensitivity to the noise of the guns, as well as the fear of accidental discharge or being overpowered and having my gun taken from me in the course of self defense.

I respect that fear perspective, or those who don't like guns for ethical reasons. They don't have a right to demand I not carry in public or in my home, but they have a right to feel safe and in control of their home. Even if the law didn't demand it up here with me as a concealed carrier, I'd still do it. It's just basic respect.

In some ways I feel the same way about gay marriage. I have my beliefs and vote my conscience, advocate freely, etc. But I'm not bringing it up in polite conversation and certainly not going into a friend's home and making them feel uncomfortable with a view I know they don't share. Public space is public space, but private space is special and I honor and respect that, because I honor and respect my friends. Guns, parenting methods, philosophical views, you name it - I tread gently or not at all in the company of others who have invited me into their homes. I expect the same courtesy in return. And with firearms, in particular, there is rarely someone who doesn't have a strong opinion one way or the other. I'm not going to cross that for any reason other than a life or death emergency.

Is it possible you just never knew? Most serious firearms enthusiasts and CC permit holders, in particular, are very discreet with their firearms. They don't announce or brandish them - the only time it comes up is if someone accidentally has their firearm with them and they're heading to a restricted area or private property.

My husband worked at a company five years before it came up in conversation that he a CC'd every single day. He wore a tactical vest, complete with NRA logo, and nobody suspected. They were totally in the dark. He never brought it out, brought it up, or looked like he was packing heat. It never had a reason to come up because he didn't encounter a threatening animal or human while in the building.

Most of the people I know who CC, especially moms, you'd never, ever guess unles they said something. They're normal, safe, well adjusted human beings who don't have anything to prove with a gun. I believe that is how it should be - a non issue.

My husband and I would ONLY bring it up if we got stuck in a situation like I described in the previous post, where we were out with our firearm on us and had to pick something up or run an errand. If we haven't remembered to lock it into our car and make it to the front door that's when we stop short and stay there unless invited in.

It's happens end to us maybe four times in the last ten years. We either just plan ahead or are welcome where we are going with it, or don't have it on our person. But it goes on with the wallet and keys, especially for my husband. My gun is a bit heavy for me these days and I haven't purchased my preferred lighter weight model yet.

Anyway... Given the statistics it seems more likely you just didn't know someone was a CC permit holder than that you didn't actually know anyone, especially in an area where hunting or gun culture is popular and obtaining firearms isn't overly difficult. That's just my guess based on my experience :)

I would have known. Concealed carry wasn't something people obsessed with as much back then. This need to walk around armed at all times has definitely grown over the last decade and a half.

Except some of us who think it's totally nuts are Americans.  Just probably from a different area of the country. 

IDK. I'm from the South. That seems to be where there is a high concentration of the gun love.

I'm from the south, too.  There are plenty of people who'd love to see better, stricter gun control.  Plenty, but still not enough.

Does anyone else find it interesting how attitudes toward guns have changed over the generations?  When my dad was young, all the guys had guns, mainly for hunting rabbits and stuff.  It was a completely acceptable hobby.  He lived in a large city, and over the years he accumulated a number of guns.  There was one displayed over the mantel and a bunch in a gun cabinet.  He would shoot off a shotgun at 12:00am New Year's Day on our residential street, and nobody had a problem with that.  (Lots of other guns were going off too.)  Whenever one of his guy friends came over, the topic was sure to turn to their mutual hobbies of hunting / shooting / refurbishing antique guns etc.

I guess in those days, folks could not imagine that a 2015 conversation about guns would generate comments of contempt, disgust, distrust, etc. toward gun owners.

No.  I'm 52, from the south and I don't remember any time that was really like that.  When I was growing up (rural but on the outskirts of two medium sized cities) I don't remember anyone who thought much at all about guns.  If you lived rural or hunted you might've had a couple.  They weren't much different than any other tool you might have, and not something people tended to sit around discussing.  They might talk about hunting, but the focus was rarely on guns.  If you had a hand gun you sure didn't publicize it.  It was kind of like cancer back then -- something you might whisper about to someone you knew well, but not generally talked about in group conversations.  And I can absolutely assure you that it's not true that "nobody had a problem" with people shooting guns off at midnight.  NYD or not, there are always people who like to be asleep at midnight. ;)  They might not have complained, because they'd accepted that there will always be self centered bozos on holidays who think their right to "celebrate" trumps the right of others to sleep.  But they're there.

• Like 6

Does anyone else find it interesting how attitudes toward guns have changed over the generations? When my dad was young, all the guys had guns, mainly for hunting rabbits and stuff. It was a completely acceptable hobby. He lived in a large city, and over the years he accumulated a number of guns. There was one displayed over the mantel and a bunch in a gun cabinet. He would shoot off a shotgun at 12:00am New Year's Day on our residential street, and nobody had a problem with that. (Lots of other guns were going off too.) Whenever one of his guy friends came over, the topic was sure to turn to their mutual hobbies of hunting / shooting / refurbishing antique guns etc.

I guess in those days, folks could not imagine that a 2015 conversation about guns would generate comments of contempt, disgust, distrust, etc. toward gun owners.

I grew up in a Midwestern city where it was not unusual for people to own guns for hunting. My father did. But the idea of shooting guns on residential streets for celebratory purposes was not part of my life. No one had a problem? Are you sure?
  • Like 7

Since a legally licensed concealed weapon properly secured on one's person is actually very safe, I find these "don't enter my house if you CC" to be a kind of discrimination. It kinda sounds like "don't enter if you have AIDS." Would it be right to expect people to say, before crossing your threshold, "I have AIDS, are you OK with that?" Some people are uncomfortable around things they aren't used to, but since when is that an excuse to treat people like scum?

It's one thing to say people are not allowed to *do* xyz in your house. But treating people differently because of what they are wearing under their clothes is more about who they are, not what they are doing in your house.

The logical equivalence of gun ownership to having AIDS is beyond my comprehension as well as your assertion that a holster is essentially a brassiere.

I find it fascinating that you argue how a gun completes a person, that it is part of who they are. I can argue that not owning a gun is who I am and I too have a singular right to my personhood which includes my home being gun-free unless law enforcement is called in.

Nor do I feel compelled to post a sign.

There was a very ugly suicide in my community after a couple who were responsible gun owners had an argument. I often wonder what would have happened if they did not keep guns in their home.

• Like 10

I'm not afraid of guns. I am afraid of human error, and that's why we don't have any of our own in the house at this time.  As far as I can tell, I haven't yet developed the power to predict which humans will err and when.  Once I do, I'll have solved the ENTIRE American gun debate!  Until then, I shouldn't have to concern myself with that in my personal "safe" zone.  

This is MY house. Don't smoke at my table, don't set your purse on the floor with epi pens or diabetic needles (that's happened with toddlers in the house,) don't light fireworks off my deck, don't bring your nasty dog, and lock your gun in your car.  Thanks for stopping by!

• Like 10

My sil had a long time stalker who made her life hell for many years.  Luckily he was arrested and sent to prison, but was recently released.  She doesn't feel safe without her concealed gun in her purse these days.  This man could be anywhere, even in someone's house, or following her to someone's house (who knows!).  While the man is not supposed to come near her, the trouble with evil people (stalkers, etc...) is that they don't mind breaking the law.

Also, I think if I were answering a Craigslist ad and going to someone's house to see the couch or whatever, I'd want a concealed weapon on me.  Otherwise, I'd be completely vulnerable if the person turned out to be another Craigslist killer, etc...  (I don't have such a license or a gun, however, so won't be answering such ads).

My sil had a long time stalker who made her life hell for many years.  Luckily he was arrested and sent to prison, but was recently released.  She doesn't feel safe without her concealed gun in her purse these days.  This man could be anywhere, even in someone's house, or following her to someone's house (who knows!).  While the man is not supposed to come near her, the trouble with evil people (stalkers, etc...) is that they don't mind breaking the law.

Also, I think if I were answering a Craigslist ad and going to someone's house to see the couch or whatever, I'd want a concealed weapon on me.  Otherwise, I'd be completely vulnerable if the person turned out to be another Craigslist killer, etc...  (I don't have such a license or a gun, however, so won't be answering such ads).

The gun is in her purse where she does not have immediate access to it. So I wonder is the gun itself keeping her safe or is the idea of the nearby gun that which makes her feel safe?

I do not need weaponry to feel safe.  Perhaps this is my hang up in all of this.  I fail to grasp why the average non-LEO person needs weaponry on his/her body to feel safe.  Are average non-LEO people also wearing body armor?

• Like 4

In that case, if she believes this guy is still after her, it would be nice of her not to come to the houses of unsuspecting people at all.

The AIDS reference in a previous post (sorry, can't multiquote) baffles me, since 1) a person can't leave it locked up at home, and 2) it is not transmitted at the touch of a hand, unlike firing a gun. Now, if you have influenza, don't come over until you're better.

I looked up my state law, and we do indeed have to post a sign, or only invite people we are confident do not carry. How obnoxious. I was going to invite people I don't know well from a homeschooling group to my house soon. We don't have a fence out front we could post a sign on. Now I'm not sure what I'm going to do.

• Like 2

Appropriate? I don't think so, personally, but it's legal. I am aware that many people disagree with me, so my assumption is always that they may have a concealed weapon.

Because of my BIL and that I know he has a concealed weapon, honestly there's no point pressing the issue. He's going to have a gun around my kids, and he's my BIL, so he's coming to Thanksgiving and we're going to visit, period. Better to have a short life with family than a long life lived in fear and isolation.

I go into the city at night. I drive a car. I take risks. One risk of living in this country is that you live with people who are afraid. All the time. So afraid they have to have a gun with them. Or, they have a hero fantasy they are acting out. Either way, there's nothing I can do. Forcing them to leave is just as cowardly as carrying a gun around to a three-year-old's birthday party. We're all going to die someday. Whether my child dies at 120, or due to a gun accident, or due to a car accident, or due to a terrorist attack--whatever. Death is awful no matter what.

Now, I personally would not dream of increasing anyone's risk of death by entering their home with a loaded firearm. But it's obvious to me that I don't share the values of the majority of Americans, and that's not a surprise to me. And this isn't the only thing that other people do, that threatens my quality and length of life so I let it go.

I also let my armed BIL into my home with a gun because I trust him to be smart with it.  I'd rather that he didn't wear the thing everywhere but his job requires it and he's more comfortable with it.  I'm okay with *him* wearing it in my house because *I* chose to let him do it. 

For me, this isn't fear about guns, or even about concealed carry in general.  It's simply that I feel really strongly that a gun owner should never bring a gun into my home without my knowledge. There are plenty of risks out there, but my being in control over who has gun in my home goes a long way toward avoiding an accidental gun death in my house.

I can't agree that all deaths are awful.  It's always sad when a loved one dies, but there is a huge difference between a loved one dying of an accidental, preventable death at 16 than someone dying quietly in their sleep at age 90 after living a full life and having the chance to say goodbye.  

• Like 9

I would have known. Concealed carry wasn't something people obsessed with as much back then. This need to walk around armed at all times has definitely grown over the last decade and a half.

And part of that is bc people react differently.

Your reaction to mass shootings is to be terrified of guns.

Someone else's reactions is to be a responsible gun owner so they don't have to be scared of someone else with a gun.

And I do wonder if seeing more people with guns is a good thing. Some people here seem to have a visceral reaction to a gun just bc they aren't used to seeing one.

It rather reminds me of the breastfeeding discussions. Yes, it's your right to breastfeed anywhere, but geez, can't you cover up or go to the bathroom to do that or do it in the car before you go in a place and make everyone uncomfortable? Even if they don't see it actual breastfeeding, many people who are not used to it and unfamiliar with it sorta mentally freak out. But the response of breast feeders is often to not cave and hide for the sake of appearing polite. And it shouldn't be. Because people need to get used to people exercising their right to breastfeed anywhere they need or want to.

That aside the gun owners are scared all the time theme kinda made me laugh bc it reminded me of this clip from GCB.

• Like 4

Someone else's reactions is to be a responsible gun owner so they don't have to be scared of someone else with a gun.

And I do wonder if seeing more people with guns is a good thing. Some people here seem to have a visceral reaction to a gun just bc they aren't used to seeing one.

It rather reminds me of the breastfeeding discussions. Yes, it's your right to breastfeed anywhere, but geez, can't you cover up or go to the bathroom to do that or do it in the car before you go in a place and make everyone uncomfortable? Even if they don't see it actual breastfeeding, many people who are not used to it and unfamiliar with it sorta mentally freak out. But the response of breast feeders is often to not cave and hide for the sake of appearing polite. And it shouldn't be. Because people need to get used to people exercising their right to breastfeed anywhere they need or want to.

That aside the gun owners are scared all the time theme kinda made me laugh bc it reminded me of this clip from GCB.

Boobs can't kill anyone. No one packs their boobs each day prepared to shoot them at someone. Pictures of guns don't faze me. Actual, loaded guns and the potential for their dangerous, stupid, cowboy-like use do.

• Like 8

No. I'm 52, from the south and I don't remember any time that was really like that. When I was growing up (rural but on the outskirts of two medium sized cities) I don't remember anyone who thought much at all about guns. If you lived rural or hunted you might've had a couple. They weren't much different than any other tool you might have, and not something people tended to sit around discussing. They might talk about hunting, but the focus was rarely on guns. If you had a hand gun you sure didn't publicize it.

I actually agree with you and it's one of the reasons I'm pro concealed carry not mandating a person disclose they are CC.

Because when done right, it shouldn't be seen or discussed. Just like back then and with most people I know who have guns. If you are close to them, you might know what all they have and maybe even if they carry regularly, but when done right, it shouldn't never come up. Because it is safely holstered and kept concealed.

Aside from this board, guns are almost never discussed IRL around me. There's nothing to discuss. Everyone is just going about their daily lives and some might be concealed carry and no one even knows it. Because again, you don't talk about your guns for the same reason you don't talk about your bank account access info or when your going to have an empty house or many other security topics. Because it's foolish to advertise such information.

And I can absolutely assure you that it's not true that "nobody had a problem" with people shooting guns off at midnight. NYD or not, there are always people who like to be asleep at midnight. ;) They might not have complained, because they'd accepted that there will always be self centered bozos on holidays who think their right to "celebrate" trumps the right of others to sleep. But they're there.

I completely agree. I don't know anyone who wouldn't call the police about hearing gunshots at any time. Even a bit further in country. One or two they might think we're beasties being scared off the livestock, but some crazy gun shooting party? Uh. Heck no. Country folk need their beauty sleep same as everyone else and all of them I have ever known get up at dark o'clock as it is.

• Like 1

So people just bring them along because they want to ?

Idk. It's just very alien to me, that you would want to bring a gun along to a social event at a private house.

My husband is a cop (NYPD) and he carries about 99% of the time. He is expected to be armed at all times, unless he is in a situation where it would be safer to leave it home (planning to drink a lot at a bar - hasn't happened yet but it's sensible) or impossible to secure it (the beach or the pool) or when we travel by plane.

About years ago we were visiting some new friends who were shocked and a bit horrified that he was armed. Since then, I make sure to mention it when we are invited to a new home. If someone did not want him to bring it, he would leave it locked up at home out of respect. Most of our friends are native NYers and expect him to be carrying.

BTW, those new friends were fine with him bringing his gun to their home after that. They were just surprised!

• Like 2

I grew up in a Midwestern city where it was not unusual for people to own guns for hunting. My father did. But the idea of shooting guns on residential streets for celebratory purposes was not part of my life. No one had a problem? Are you sure?

I grew up in a rural MN town along the Canadian border filled with hunters, and firing guns on a residential street would have gotten the person arrested. I can't even imagine that. It's the height of irresponsible gun ownership. Bullets don't just disappear when you fire them into the air. They have to come down somewhere.

• Like 11

If the NBC report I watched yesterday - the one that inspired the OT this came from - is correct, there are fewer people with guns now, not more, and it's declining each year.

My husband is a cop (NYPD) and he carries about 99% of the time. He is expected to be armed at all times, unless he is in a situation where it would be safer to leave it home (planning to drink a lot at a bar - hasn't happened yet but it's sensible) or impossible to secure it (the beach or the pool) or when we travel by plane.

About years ago we were visiting some new friends who were shocked and a bit horrified that he was armed. Since then, I make sure to mention it when we are invited to a new home. If someone did not want him to bring it, he would leave it locked up at home out of respect. Most of our friends are native NYers and expect him to be carrying.

BTW, those new friends were fine with him bringing his gun to their home after that. They were just surprised!

My cousin is a LEO too and pretty much always has his with him.  I don't mind that at all.  What concerns me with handguns and having them always accessible is that so many people seem to have shorter fuses now than before.  We see this with road rage and more.  People have always had fistfights over various rage issues, but those weren't quite as deadly.

I was pleased to see the actual numbers for ownership declining.  I still don't mind having ours (no handguns) for around our farm and the uses we have for them.  I don't mind seeing people in our area walking the roads with their long guns (knowing they are hunting).  I don't mind listening to shots in the distance since I know they are likely trying to take out an unwanted critter.  But I see no need to make carrying handguns a "regular" happening for average people.  That just seems strange to me.

• Like 1

I grew up in a rural MN town along the Canadian border filled with hunters, and firing guns on a residential street would have gotten the person arrested. I can't even imagine that. It's the height of irresponsible gun ownership. Bullets don't just disappear when you fire them into the air. They have to come down somewhere.

No one I know or ever knew did this either.

I also don't know those (outside of LEO) who feel the need to take handguns with them to everyday places.  Granted, it's possible I just don't know, but the way my inner circle is willing to talk about anything and everything, I think someone would let it slip.

• Like 3

I expect a LEO (on or off duty) to be armed. That doesn't bother me. I know they're well-trained and used to carrying. It's everyone else doing it that I have a problem with.

• Like 8

We were trained to fire shots (3) into the air if we needed help when out in the woods. (Pre-cell phone) Everytime I hear a shot fired I hit high alert, because I correlate it with a distress call.

I know well a lot of gun owners and cannot imagine any of them behaving so recklessly. I know others in passing who would. That is why I only know them in passing.

• Like 1

Does anyone else find it interesting how attitudes toward guns have changed over the generations?  When my dad was young, all the guys had guns, mainly for hunting rabbits and stuff.  It was a completely acceptable hobby.  He lived in a large city, and over the years he accumulated a number of guns.  There was one displayed over the mantel and a bunch in a gun cabinet.  He would shoot off a shotgun at 12:00am New Year's Day on our residential street, and nobody had a problem with that.  (Lots of other guns were going off too.)  Whenever one of his guy friends came over, the topic was sure to turn to their mutual hobbies of hunting / shooting / refurbishing antique guns etc.

Uh, when my parents were young . . . nobody they knew had guns. My parents have never owned guns nor knew anyone who owned guns. My grandparents, who grew up in a very rural area of the South, never owned guns nor knew anyone who owned guns.. I know that my maternal great-grandfather owned a rifle, because my grandmother had a terrifying story of him coming home drunk when she was a child and brandishing it at her and her mother (early 1930's).

But all the guys collecting guns and displaying them and showing them off. Um, no. Most families do not have a long family tradition of that. I understand that many rural families today own rifles, and I do think that if you go back enough generations in many urban (non-gun owning) American families, there will be farmers, ranchers, or pioneers who would have owned a rifle for hunting and/or protection. But I think there is a big cultural difference between a farming/ranching family owning a rifle and the conceal/carry handgun thing we are discussing here. There has been a peculiar cultural leap.

• Like 2

Where did I say I am terrified of guns?

We are gun owners. That doesn't mean I support letting any moron walk around with a loaded gun because 'Merica!

• Like 13

If the NBC report I watched yesterday - the one that inspired the OT this came from - is correct, there are fewer people with guns now, not more, and it's declining each year.

My cousin is a LEO too and pretty much always has his with him. I don't mind that at all. What concerns me with handguns and having them always accessible is that so many people seem to have shorter fuses now than before. We see this with road rage and more. People have always had fistfights over various rage issues, but those weren't quite as deadly.

I was pleased to see the actual numbers for ownership declining. I still don't mind having ours (no handguns) for around our farm and the uses we have for them. I don't mind seeing people in our area walking the roads with their long guns (knowing they are hunting). I don't mind listening to shots in the distance since I know they are likely trying to take out an unwanted critter. But I see no need to make carrying handguns a "regular" happening for average people. That just seems strange to me.

Gun ownership rates may be declining (probable actually), but concealed carry and open carry have become more popular.

• Like 1

We were trained to fire shots (3) into the air if we needed help when out in the woods. (Pre-cell phone) Everytime I hear a shot fired I hit high alert, because I correlate it with a distress call.

I know well a lot of gun owners and cannot imagine any of them behaving so recklessly. I know others in passing who would. That is why I only know them in passing.

It is illegal to discharge a weapon within city limits (not even bow and arrow is allowed) of my town unless you are at a licensed range. Doing so will get you in trouble pronto and could cost you your cc license if you have one. Even if you do it on your own property. The ONLY exception is in self defense. Firing shots in the air like they are fire crackers is not okay bc of the law and bc it is a safety hazard and would get a police call. For that matter, fireworks are very limited too and only on certain days and with a permit. Don't have those, you get a cop serving an expensive citation rather quickly. I think the citation is between $200-500 dollars, but the permit for designated days and times is only $50 and they get a form explaining safe and respectful use. They used to be entirely illegal in city limits, but so many did it anyways that the police couldn't keep up and it diverted resources, so they went this happy medium and everyone is doing great with it. The cops are very happy bc they don't have the community bad guys and the fire department calls went way down and it gave the city a nice community approved bit of revenue.

Where did I say I am terrified of guns?

We are gun owners. That doesn't mean I support letting any moron walk around with a loaded gun because 'Merica!

My apologies. That should have been a general you, not specificly you as I was simply making a comparison of two types of people.

I don't think anyone is supportive of morons, guns or not. They are a very discriminated segment of society. :)

It is illegal to discharge a weapon within city limits (not even bow and arrow is allowed) of my town unless you are at a licensed range. Doing so will get you in trouble pronto and could cost you your cc license if you have one. Even if you do it on your own property. The ONLY exception is in self defense. Firing shots in the air like they are fire crackers is not okay bc of the law and bc it is a safety hazard and would get a police call.  <snip>

While it is illegal to discharge weapons in my incorporated town, there are also rules that must be followed in the unincorporated areas.  For example one cannot shoot from a road or highway or within 100 yards of a dwelling. 

I just cannot imagine firing guns into the air for fun in a municipality!  That poster's comment on its normalcy was very puzzling.

• Like 8

Well, concealed implies that you are not proclaiming it but if you knew people didn't want a gun in their home you shouldn't bring it. It's their home and you should respect that. I guess there would have to be some communication though.

I think carrying in a purse is not a bright idea. I would never do that. If you are carrying your purse that would be one thing but who carries a purse constantly? And yes, I had to call poison control once because my 18 month old had taken some pills out of someone's purse. I think we noticed before he actually had any since I was in the same room with him but still it is scary. I don't fault the lady who was careful when she went to a previous poster's house since she was making a point to be careful with it but I do believe carrying in a purse should not be considered "carrying" at all.

I don't carry because you have to be a very aware person and I wouldn't want to have to worry about it all day long. My husband is very aware and pays attention better to his surroundings. He has carried at times but he prefers not to but then of course we are depending on others to care for an emergency situation.

Many people carry in our home but they are intelligent and conscientious. I know that this doesn't apply to all circles. I find this out every time I'm around public in general. Most people aren't aware of their surroundings and aren't thinking about repercussions. I don't want them to carry but I really wish they wouldn't drive either. Both are deadly when the person doing them is not trained and is careless. I don't personally know anyone who has been killed with a gun but so many friends and family members have been killed by people's negligence while driving.

It is illegal to discharge a weapon within city limits (not even bow and arrow is allowed) of my town unless you are at a licensed range. Doing so will get you in trouble pronto and could cost you your cc license if you have one. Even if you do it on your own property. The ONLY exception is in self defense. Firing shots in the air like they are fire crackers is not okay bc of the law and bc it is a safety hazard and would get a police call. For that matter, fireworks are very limited too and only on certain days and with a permit. Don't have those, you get a cop serving an expensive citation rather quickly. I think the citation is between $200-500 dollars, but the permit for designated days and times is only $50 and they get a form explaining safe and respectful use. They used to be entirely illegal in city limits, but so many did it anyways that the police couldn't keep up and it diverted resources, so they went this happy medium and everyone is doing great with it. The cops are very happy bc they don't have the community bad guys and the fire department calls went way down and it gave the city a nice community approved bit of revenue.

Right. I don't disagree with any of that.

When I said "in the woods" I meant waaaaay outside city limits in a couple hundred acres of posted land.

The gun is in her purse where she does not have immediate access to it. So I wonder is the gun itself keeping her safe or is the idea of the nearby gun that which makes her feel safe?

I do not need weaponry to feel safe.  Perhaps this is my hang up in all of this.  I fail to grasp why the average non-LEO person needs weaponry on his/her body to feel safe.  Are average non-LEO people also wearing body armor?

I don't think "the average non-LEO person" does CC.  I do think there are people who have good reasons to CC, and who they are or their reasons may be none of my business.  Bottom line, I am not afraid of people legally having a concealed weapon in my house.

• Like 2

The logical equivalence of gun ownership to having AIDS is beyond my comprehension

AIDS is a deadly disease.  But it is only dangerous to others if bodily fluids are shared, which is not likely during most visits.  Concealed weapons are only dangerous if they are taken out and unlocked, which is unlikely to happen during most visits, especially if the owner doesn't mention they are there.

PS are you conflating gun ownership with carrying a concealed weapon on other people's private property?

• Like 1

What if you put your house up for sale?  Shouldn't you just put a sign up that says "No guns allowed here" or make the real estate agent ask everyone not to come around armed if it's important to you?  I'd not expect every potential buyer to make positive CCW declarations unprompted before seeing your house.  In fact, I expect many real estate agents themselves are carrying concealed.

Suppose you are having a garage sale on your driveway.  Should every potential customer have to inform you of their carry state even if they only hang around for a minute?  Or should you just put up a sign that says "No weapons allowed here" and only attract the right people?

Suppose your teens have to call a locksmith late at night while you're away because they locked yourself out of your house.  Should the locksmith, who always has to determine who the rightful owner of a house is, have to ask them if it's ok to come over with whatever he normally carries on him (and thereby declare himself a target of gun theft to an unknown group of teens at night), or should your teen just ask him if he carries and just call another locksmith if the answer is yes?

What if your van won't start in the garage because somebody left an interior light on?  You call AAA for a jump.  Should the AAA repairman, who has to walk into all sorts of bizarre situations all day long, have to declare his carry state (and thereby declare himself a target of gun theft), or should you just ask them to send one over who is definitely unarmed?  Actually I don't know AAA rules on what their repairpeople carry, but you get the idea of private tow truck drivers, other roadside assistance personnel, ...

Almost all mail carriers are armed with some form of pepper spray (and the ones who aren't are the ones who forgot it that day).  I guess you could put up a sign that says "No Pepper Spray Allowed Here" if it's important to you, and they would have to find a way to deliver your mail, or make you pick it up at the post office.

I also figure that more than 0.00% of food delivery-people who handle lots of cash and make most of their food deliveries at night are armed with something.

• Like 1

In that case, if she believes this guy is still after her, it would be nice of her not to come to the houses of unsuspecting people at all.

So if you have a vindictive ex, you don't deserve to have a social life at all.  That's a new perspective.

Shotguns don't shoot bullets.

It might be an age difference.  By the time I was a teen, shooting off a gun was a no-no.

I am surprised to hear how many people are offended by a noise one time per year on New Year's Eve.  Even if it's loud music or something - it's once a year.  It's NYD.  I guess my hometown is more laid back than many.

So if you have a vindictive ex, you don't deserve to have a social life at all.  That's a new perspective.

I said UNSUSPECTING people. I.e., not coming to a new acquaintance's house without disclosing that there may be a felon following you. Yes, I stand by that.

Family will know the risk and presumably consider it worthwhile. But no, if you think your dangerous, vindictive ex may be following you, whether you have a gun or not, do not come to my house when you know this is a possibility, but I don't. There is no way to conceal your vehicle here. When I have visitors, the whole neighborhood knows.

• Like 3

All I know, SKL, is that you're not invited to my house any time in the near future.

All the rest of you, if I can trust you to stop at the door and check to see if we wear shoes inside the house, I suppose I can trust you to check if I'm okay with weapons.

• Like 3

Not into someone's home, no, not without permission. It seems rude, and I say that as a gun owner. My husband carries, and he always locks it in the locking drawer under the car seat when going into someone's home, etc.

Ditto. DH rarely carries but wanted the training. Never okay to bring it into someone's home without acknowledging and securing. I am honestly more afraid of those (sadly mostly women) who carry in a purse or bag rather than in a holster. That weapon seems much less secure.

• Like 1

It might be an age difference. By the time I was a teen, shooting off a gun was a no-no.

I am surprised to hear how many people are offended by a noise one time per year on New Year's Eve. Even if it's loud music or something - it's once a year. It's NYD. I guess my hometown is more laid back than many.

It's not the noise. It's the bullets. People get killed by that complete idiocy. The local news warns about it. This is the saddest story of recent memory: http://m.wsbtv.com/news/news/falling-bullet-kills-4-year-old-boy-in-dekalb/nFDwr/

• Like 5

Since a legally licensed concealed weapon properly secured on one's person is actually very safe, I find these "don't enter my house if you CC" to be a kind of discrimination.  It kinda sounds like "don't enter if you have AIDS."  Would it be right to expect people to say, before crossing your threshold, "I have AIDS, are you OK with that?"  Some people are uncomfortable around things they aren't used to, but since when is that an excuse to treat people like scum?

It's one thing to say people are not allowed to *do* xyz in your house.  But treating people differently because of what they are wearing under their clothes is more about who they are, not what they are doing in your house.

Wow, that seems like a rather offensive comparison. It's not like you can say, "Hey, feel free to come over but can you keep your AIDS in your glove compartment?" And asking someone to leave their gun at home is hardly treating them like scum.

Also from a quick google search, much fewer people die of AIDS in the US than of gun deaths. That's kind of insane...

Boobs can't kill anyone. No one packs their boobs each day prepared to shoot them at someone. Pictures of guns don't faze me. Actual, loaded guns and the potential for their dangerous, stupid, cowboy-like use do.

With the pearl clutching that goes on any time someone glimpses a nipple, you'd think boobs were the deadliest force in America. ;)

• Like 12

It appears that many states allow concealed carry on private property, including homes, unless the owner posts a sign stating otherwise or verbally states that guns aren't allowed.  Even if it is legal for someone to carry a concealed weapon into someone else's home without asking, do you think it's appropriate to do so?

For what purpose?  In a holster or in a purse?  I think one ought to be pretty darn aware of the item at all time if he/she does.    Some people carry for work. 

It might be an age difference. By the time I was a teen, shooting off a gun was a no-no.

I am surprised to hear how many people are offended by a noise one time per year on New Year's Eve. Even if it's loud music or something - it's once a year. It's NYD. I guess my hometown is more laid back than many.

What?

I fully expect some noise until 12:30 am ish on July 4 and Dec 31 and it doesn't bother me in the least unless and until someone is reckless and endangering others.

Shooting from a gun that was not designed for celebratory air show purpose. It's stupid and hazardous and I'd call the cops pronto.

Fireworks wouldn't bother me. Unless they were reckless and stupid with those, then I'd call the cops about the misuse.

• Like 5

I'm not advocating people shooting off guns in city limits, I'm pointing out how much our culture has changed over the years I've been alive.

Can someone point to a statistic that proves people are safer if there is nobody around who is legally CC?

I would also like to see statistics regarding this great increase in gun ownership, CC, fanaticism, and firearm accidents.  (Though CC statistics will depend on local CC laws, which change over time.)  Could it be that, like child abductions, people are just hearing about it more because the media has decided it makes a good story?  When in fact the incidence is not increasing and might be decreasing?  Most people I know who are gun owners have gotten much more careful over the years, and they absolutely advocate for gun safety improvements.  Also most of them don't CC.  Without seeing objective statistics, I don't believe there is some rash of deaths and injuries being caused by legal CC.

• Like 1

Even in the bush in Alaska we (the people in my bubble) don't shoot up in the air. Why would you? I teach my children that your finger doesn't go into the trigger guard until your aiming at something you WANT to shoot.

Yep.

In over a decade of being in the woods with my family, only once did anyone ever have to fire for help. And had that cousin listened and stayed in the trail they would never have needed help either.