Menu

s/o Is it appropriate to take a concealed weapon into someone else's home

Amira

I read on here once where someone mentioned making sure they had their gun with them when they went to Target.  My first thought was that if my shopping center was that dangerous, I would be definitely trying to find a new one.

I would have to order from amazon.com.

But concealed carry does not equal carrying it on one's body. Many women carry their gun in a purse - like the lady who got shot by her own toddler. Since apparently people can't even prevent their own kids from getting at their gun,  I have zero desire to have unsupervised purses containing loaded weapons sitting in my home.

Nor do I have the desire to find guns in the bathroom which the carrier had taken off and forgotten.. which, unconceivably, has happened even with police personel.

Again, the adult owner is responsible for anything that happens with that gun.  Concealed in a purse may be fine, as long as the purse is either carried by the owner or locked (most come with a lock built in to that compartment).  Taken off and left somewhere, in a purse or a holster or loose, is no longer concealed, so a different topic.

As I've said in every response, it's about the owner being responsible.  I think we all agree that guns lying around (whether there are children present or not) are a bad idea.  But that doesn't have anything to do with whether it's okay for a responsible adult to carry (body or purse) in someone's home.

• Like 2

<gasp>

I did not know this. Need more info. Is it like vampires?

You must have gone to public school. Just like the government to keep the masses uneducated about how to defend themselves from the real enemy- the zombie.

• Like 3

Again, the adult owner is responsible for anything that happens with that gun.  Concealed in a purse may be fine, as long as the purse is either carried by the owner or locked (most come with a lock built in to that compartment).  Taken off and left somewhere, in a purse or a holster or loose, is no longer concealed, so a different topic.

As I've said in every response, it's about the owner being responsible.  I think we all agree that guns lying around (whether there are children present or not) are a bad idea.  But that doesn't have anything to do with whether it's okay for a responsible adult to carry (body or purse) in someone's home.

And I still don't understand why the carrier, even the most responsible carrier ever, gets to make the choice about concealed weapons in MY home rather than me.

• Like 23

Yeah one would think they'd be responsible, but I guess the laws aren't like that everywhere.  Locally a boy shot his friend because they were playing with his dad's gun.  He left it loaded and unlocked in a sock drawer.  Nothing happened to the owner. 

• Like 2

But that doesn't have anything to do with whether it's okay for a responsible adult to carry (body or purse) in someone's home.

Again, it's *my* house. I own it (along with the credit union and my husband). My name is on the title. Is yours? I don't care how responsible you are - why does your right to carry a gun supersede my right not to have guns at my own private residence? You want to carry a gun? Do it in your own house. Don't you dare bring it into mine.

• Like 19

I would never. And I wouldn't appreciate anyone else doing it at my house, although I am sure some law enforcement friends of my dh have. Not everyone is as responsible as I am, and with young kids, it's just not worth it. I leave it in the car unless I'm at my parents' house.

• Like 1

The Zombi Survival Guides all recommend a missile weapon (being proficient with a bow of some sort preferred to a gun due to noise) and a melee weapon. Hand axes are a popular choice.

I liked the souped up baseball bat they used in Z-nation.

(TEX- funny zombie show. If you like that sort of thing. One story line is pretty rough at the beginning, but there is enough humor to make it worthwhile.)

• Like 2

I'd think someone who knew me at all would know how I felt about that.  I don't have people over much though so this would not be very likely to come up.

Along the same lines, I worry about allowing my kids to go to other people's homes because of stuff like guns.  And how on earth do you even broach the topic with someone who is a stranger? 

• Like 5

So if I lived in your state there would be no way for me to keep a gun out of my home? I couldn't even stand at my door and tell people I don't want concealed weapons in my home and expect that request to be have legal backing- because I don't actually know if you have a weapon? I guess I could just invite people over that I knew well enough to be sure they weren't carrying a weapon.

I have to say that I've never been a fan of CCW laws but I'm pretty appalled by some of the things I've learned about them today.

That's right.

Along the same lines, I worry about allowing my kids to go to other people's homes because of stuff like guns. And how on earth do you even broach the topic with someone who is a stranger?

This.

There was a mom who let her kid to play at a friends house. She had no idea how many guns were in the house or how (poorly) they were stored. Her son is dead and the gun owner got laughably little for his carelessness. It's made me far less excited about playdates unless I know more about that family. Prior to reading the story last year, it never really crossed my mind. You can bet it has now.

• Like 5

I'd think someone who knew me at all would know how I felt about that.  I don't have people over much though so this would not be very likely to come up.

Along the same lines, I worry about allowing my kids to go to other people's homes because of stuff like guns.  And how on earth do you even broach the topic with someone who is a stranger? 

This.  I feel like people think I'm a wacko if I bring this up in certain areas or are offended that I'm even asking because of course they do have guns and everyone does or of course they don't have guns because how could anyone do such a thing.  I'm not liking the sign-posting thing either.  

Guns are another reason why I like my kids to play outside. It's not just because I can ride my bike around the neighborhood to find them rather than knocking on everyone's door.

ETA that I should just wait for mamaraby to post so I can agree with her and save time. :)

• Like 5

For those who think they should be trusted to bring guns into people's homes without permission, think of it this way in your attempt to understand how other people think:

Do you take vials of cyanide, in your purse, to your neighbor's house when invited for dinner?
Do you take a hand grenade in your pocket?

Do you have bombs strapped to your chest under your sweater with the detonator in your other pocket?

Do you travel around with anything else on you that can bring about fatality in the blink of an accident? Or do you carry all of it because surely nobody's going to

get the cyanide out of your purse, or

reach into your pocket for the hand grenade, or

or bump into your other pocket and set off the bomb,

so it's perfectly safe because you're responsible with your cyanide, hand grenade, and body bombs?

• Like 7

I was thinking people might have had them on their person for some other reason and made a stop at my house.  Once you have a gun on your person, as you go about your day, it's not like there are lots of good places to stash it while you go on a friendly visit.  It could be much more unsafe for a person to take out the gun and put it somewhere outside of his custody/view.

As the homeowner, especially in a home with small children, I think I should be the ultimate judge of what is safe enough for my home.  Tell me you want to enter my home with a gun and together we can decide how to make the situation safe enough for both of our peace of mind.  If we cannot reach a mutually acceptable solution, then it is my right to ask you to vacate the premises.

I don't see carrying a concealed gun into someone's house as being parallel to carrying concealed cigarettes, but rather to coming into the home wearing smoke infused clothing.  It might seem overkill to some, but if I feel the third hand smoke lingering on your clothes will put myself or my children at risk, then it is my right to ask you to not enter.  The fact that I cannot sense the gun like I can the smoke, does not change the fact that, IMO, I should be allowed to make an informed decision about the risks entering my home.

Wendy

• Like 3

I didn't mean you personally; I get what you're saying.

It strikes me as being in the category of freaking out about a mom letting a ten year old ride a bike while wearing safety gear, inside a neighborhood with little crime, less than a half mile to get a snow cone because someone *might* kidnap him/her.

A church is at greater risk of sexual abuse, embezzlement, or fraud occurring within its walls than a premeditated act of violence, but the focus is on the statistical improbability.

Is it a statistical probability that a concealed weapon will harm you or anyone in your home?

Like you needed an excuse.

OMG, you are inside my head...(amazon.com)

Your local shopping center has that much criminal activity?  How often has someone pulled a weapon to defend themselves there?  What are the store owners and police doing to make it safer?

No, I meant if I was that afraid to go to Target that I needed to pack,

You must have gone to public school. Just like the government to keep the masses uneducated about how to defend themselves from the real enemy- the zombie.

Again, you have understood me.  Uncanny.

The Zombi Survival Guides all recommend a missile weapon (being proficient with a bow of some sort preferred to a gun due to noise) and a melee weapon.  Hand axes are a popular choice.

Ds12 got a bow and arrows for Christmas last year.  Maybe I could use those.  Hand axes imply close contact, and I've vowed to avoid close contact with zombies because I have a feeling they have a powerfully unpleasant odor.

I liked the souped up baseball bat they used in Z-nation.

(TEX- funny zombie show. If you like that sort of thing. One story line is pretty rough at the beginning, but there is enough humor to make it worthwhile.)

Dh would never agree to watch this.  We did watch that Brad Pitt movie, and it had zombies in it.  Because Brad Pitt.

• Like 1

As far as guns in my kids' friends' homes, I do ask. Every time.

If someone is defensive about telling me whether they have guns in the home and whether they're locked up and out of sight, they're not a good fit for unsupervised visits for my kids. End of story.

I met a new homeschooler in my area recently. While the moms were having coffee, her little (VERY little) boys were telling the other children about the many, many guns of many, many kinds that are stashed all over their house. Not stashed as in "locked," but in closets, under beds, behind the couch, in the kitchen cupboard.

Well, people don't wear signs announcing that they're crazy. Usually you have to ask.

• Like 12

Complete ignorance on this topic from this sector but may I ask a question regarding how one carries one's concealed handgun?  I know how a LEO in a suit may have an underarm holster, but how in the world do women carry their weapons on their person when it is 95 degrees and most of us are wearing cute little skirts and tank tops?  Am I missing some obvious bulges?

If women are carrying weapons in a locked handbag, does that defeat the purpose of immediate access when under threat?

I really don't understand all of this because 1) I live in a safe community and 2) I live in a coastal community where people seem to wear minimal clothing much of the year.

• Like 1

I apologize that I cannot play on this thread and cause a derailing of the serious original topic because I have to go to Staples now. Imma pat everyone down in the store and see if they're packin' lead.

Great. You're gonna get arrested for some sort of harassment and one of us is gonna have to bail you out. Again.

• Like 4

Is it a statistical probability that a concealed weapon will harm you or anyone in your home?

No because I don't allow guns on my property. Easy peasy.

Sorry to have burst the bubble of safety a bit on the other thread Amira. At least now you know what to look for should you ever find yourself planning on moving back to the US. Does the state allow CC? If they do, can you as a homeowner tell people not to carry their guns on your property?

• Like 1

I am mixed on this. I worry about guns for safety reasons. I do not know if I completely trust that the person has the gun secured in a way that it can not accidentally go off if the kids were rough housing. I know that a situation occurring in my home would be rare but some people shoot first and ask questions later for small threats and I do not feel comfortable with someone shooting someone on my property. I had a neighbor who was showing a friend a gun and pointing it towards our house while my kids were out. I was not cool with that. You do not point it towards people. How do I know if it is loaded or not. I also do not agree with threatening people with guns like the cleaning a gun when a boyfriend is over.

I live in an area where having guns and carrying them on you is common. I know that the hiking groups around here have moms and dads who carry for wildlife protection. I worry about how people might store their guns if my kids go over and play. I am much more worried about the threat of an accidental shooting then the very small risk of a violent person threatening our lives with a gun. I am not against guns. I just want to be sure it cannot accidentally go off or my kids could get near it.

• Like 2

I don't own a gun, but if I did and the gun was on my person, I would never think it necessary to offer that I had it.  I don't advertise what legal meds I have in my purse, either.

I don't quiz anybody coming into my house about it, either, because AFAIK, most of my gun-toting friends obey the law and would be legally carrying.  So in that case, I consider it part of their person and none of my business what they legally have on them.  I look at it as similar to carrying prescription medication in their purse; that could also be found by a child, but I wouldn't ask them to leave their meds home.

My dh has his conceal and carry license. I can't imagine him ever volunteering the information that he is carrying to a homeowner because the entire point of conceal and carry is for others to not know. I'm not sure if the laws are like this everywhere, but I know that part of the law here in Texas is that the fact you are carrying a gun cannot be noticeable. In other words, no outline of a gun in your pants or under your shirt, no visible holster, nothing that would indicate you have a gun. It took dh a lot of trial and error to find a handgun, holster, and place on his body that he could carry and fit within the parameters of the law. IOW, you would have no idea he had a gun on him. I don't even remember he has a gun on him when we are out and about 99% of the time. If he knew that a family didn't want him carrying in their home, he'd leave it under the seat of his truck.

• Like 2

While I would say it is over all probably pretty small, I do wonder what it will look like as CC laws become more prevalent.

Statistically the danger of a trampoline or swimming pool in the back yard is probably higher. The difference is I, as homeowner, get to decide if that is a risk I am comfortable with.

• Like 3

Complete ignorance on this topic from this sector but may I ask a question regarding how one carries one's concealed handgun? I know how a LEO in a suit may have an underarm holster, but how in the world do women carry their weapons on their person when it is 95 degrees and most of us are wearing cute little skirts and tank tops? Am I missing some obvious bulges?

If women are carrying weapons in a locked handbag, does that defeat the purpose of immediate access when under threat?

I really don't understand all of this because 1) I live in a safe community and 2) I live in a coastal community where people seem to wear minimal clothing much of the year.

Some women do purse carry and its not a great idea - off person carry is very much discouraged. There are many kids of holsters that are low profile and tucked into the body, including lower back, underarm, down the pants, abdomen, inside leg, boot, etc etc. Most of us carry very slim, lightweight firearms, too, not something bulky like a revolver.

Here's an open carry story from GA that had me concerned:

http://www.11alive.com/story/news/local/cumming/2014/04/24/armed-man-fowler-park/8121285/

I'm really hoping that most gun owners don't equate "carry" to "stick loosely in the waistband of my jeans" and then go to a kids' soccer game. Couldn't someone just come up behind him and grab it?

For my own home, yes, I'd like to be told. If the person is LEO (or is a safe experienced gun user) and carries safely, I would be OK. But I think of the different, sometimes rather idiotic, service people we have through here, and I really wouldn't trust them around my family with a firearm. I'd like to have a choice.

Honestly that article reads as hysteria. Omg! A man doing nothing wrong is walking through the park! He has a lawfully attained gun and is exercising his rights to.. Walk? He isn't threatening anyone or acting dangerously.

I thought it interesting their response was to beef up security. I can only assume security will also have guns? *confused*

ETA: and it begs the questions:

Are they freaking bc they can see it and think he should put his shirt over it or freaking bc he has the nerve to use his rights at all?

• Like 2

While I would say it is over all probably pretty small, I do wonder what it will look like as CC laws become more prevalent.

Statistically the danger of a trampoline or swimming pool in the back yard is probably higher. The difference is I, as homeowner, get to decide if that is a risk I am comfortable with.

I absolutely 100% agree with your stance. I think an important take away from this conversation is that if you live in a state where the law does not require a CC person to volunteer if they are carrying, then you need to post a notice on your home that you do not allow CC in your home or you need to ask every guest or inform them before they come over. I know my dh would respect your wishes as a good guest and I would think that most CC people would as well.

I will talk to dh about asking people before entering their home. That seems reasonable, but it honestly would never have occurred to me (or him!) living in Texas since CC and gun ownership seems to be a common bond for most folks here. 

• Like 3

Honestly that article reads as hysteria. Omg! A man doing nothing wrong is walking through the park! He has a lawfully attained gun and is exercising his rights to.. Walk? He isn't threatening anyone or acting dangerously.

I thought it interesting their response was to beef up security. I can only assume security will also have guns? *confused*

ETA: and it begs the questions:

Are they freaking bc they can see it and think he should put his shirt over it or freaking bc he has the nerve to use his rights at all?

Yeah, it is almost like we live in a society where random strangers have shown up and gunned people down in schools, churches, and movie theaters.

• Like 17

Some women do purse carry and its not a great idea - off person carry is very much discouraged. There are many kids of holsters that are low profile and tucked into the body, including lower back, underarm, down the pants, abdomen, inside leg, boot, etc etc. Most of us carry very slim, lightweight firearms, too, not something bulky like a revolver.

To be honest, wearing a holster down the pants or abdomen sounds horribly uncomfortable. And I live in the land of flip flops so the boot won't work.

This is so hard for me to imagine for those who spend time with kids.  Playgrounds, bike riding, swimming--all the stuff you do with your kids in the summer.  It seems cumbersome but more importantly not safe!

• Like 3

It's cumbersome when I'm pregnant, but most holsters are about as comfortable as a good bra ;). It often takes trying a few different styles of holsters to find the one that suits you best. I think I tried four?

To be honest, wearing a holster down the pants or abdomen sounds horribly uncomfortable. And I live in the land of flip flops so the boot won't work.

This is so hard for me to imagine for those who spend time with kids.  Playgrounds, bike riding, swimming--all the stuff you do with your kids in the summer.  It seems cumbersome but more importantly not safe!

You say that until the day a soccer mom engages ISIS terrorists in a gun battle and saves you.

• Like 9

I don't think you should be allowed to do much of anything on MY property if I don't want you to do so. If I say no dogs, no dogs. If I say no broccoli, no broccoli. If I say no soccer playing, then there shall be no soccer playing. The idea that I'm not allowed to stop someone from bringing a secret gun onto my property is so ludicrous that I don't even know how to approach the other side. I would think that the pro-gun people, whose arguments tend to be deeply tied to the importance of personal property rights, would agree. And yet, clearly many don't. It really makes me feel like none of the pro-gun arguments have a thing to do with personal property rights, otherwise, they'd be eager to defend mine as well. Instead, it's just about bringing weapons everywhere no matter what.

• Like 28

Farrah, I agree. I respect other people's property - even if I didn't have to legally declare a firearm I would ask, anyway, and give the homeowner a choice. It seems so basic to me, and I'm as pro gun as they come.

For those who think they should be trusted to bring guns into people's homes without permission, think of it this way in your attempt to understand how other people think:

Do you take vials of cyanide, in your purse, to your neighbor's house when invited for dinner?

Do you take a hand grenade in your pocket?

Do you have bombs strapped to your chest under your sweater with the detonator in your other pocket?

Do you travel around with anything else on you that can bring about fatality in the blink of an accident? Or do you carry all of it because surely nobody's going to

get the cyanide out of your purse, or

reach into your pocket for the hand grenade, or

or bump into your other pocket and set off the bomb,

so it's perfectly safe because you're responsible with your cyanide, hand grenade, and body bombs?

I am very certain that many many people carry drugs in their purses, pockets or whatever. Heart medication, insulin, narcotics for pain relief and more. And yeah they do so under the presumption that other people of any age will not go snacking or playing with it. Much of it could in fact kill a kid rather quickly.

To suggest a granade or other explosive is on par with a pistol, even an automatic one, is to suggest a pistol is on par with a steak knife. I presume a house that feels this way does not own cutlery. Heck, there's no safety switch or license required for cutlery like there is for handguns and some of it is really far too sharp and big for most reasonable kitchen uses. I mean what kind of people own butcher knives if they aren't butchers?!

Hyperbole goes both ways.

• Like 4

Yeah, it is almost like we live in a society where random strangers have shown up and gunned people down in schools, churches, and movie theaters.

Yep. Sure.

I don't really have an issue with them calling the cops and asking if this guy is safe or not. Heck, I've called the cops just bc a guy gave me the creep vibe at a park.

But when the cops say that he is safe and just exercising his rights, which they will protect same as anyone else's?

After *that* point it seemed like hysteria.

The point is, the person in that home doesn't want the gun there. It is their home, so their rules. When in Rome and all that jazz. If I was going into a home where people hated say, phones, I wouldn't take my phone in. 

Also, yes, guns have to be used to be dangerous, and you might know how to properly use it, but the people in the home you are going into do not. A curious child digging into your pocket could cause incredible harm or death. 

Besides it's just rude to bring something into someone's house if they don't want you to. 

A curious child digging in a pocket?  I don't picture CC as leaving a gun loose in a pocket or unattended purse, but maybe some do.  What about a curious child digging in a pocket and finding pills and eating them?  Or coins on which a kid could choke?  Should people declare all the pills, chokeable objects, sharp objects etc. whenever they enter a home?  Or do people prevent kids from digging in visitors' pockets?  I'm 48 years old and so far, no kid has ever gone digging in my pockets, except maybe my own kids with permission.

I like to think that a person who has a CC license and is CC right now is going to take the risks seriously.  Maybe I am too optimistic, but it's not like a lot of kids are dying because of legal CC.  I'm sure there are some horror stories, but there are horror stories connected with all sorts of objects other than licensed concealed weapons carried by visitors in homes.

The law doesn't always cover manners and being a good guest.

Right. Legally, my husband could carry at my sister's house, or my parents' home. However, we know them well enough to know they are not fond of guns, so we don't. We didn't even ask, we just know it would be considered rude by them if we did so. So we don't. It's courteous. 

• Like 6

I do agree with you on this; you should be able to prevent someone from bringing the gun onto your property.  But I wouldn't be hanging a sign advertising that you don't allow guns in your home, because that would just advertise to criminals that you have no personal defense.  So, one is left with asking each visitor whether or not they have a gun on them.  If I owned a gun and was asked, I would not being it on the property, for exactly the reason you mention.  I just wouldn't have thought to ask permission first, because I look at it as an extension of the person.

I don't think you should be allowed to do much of anything on MY property if I don't want you to do so. If I say no dogs, no dogs. If I say no broccoli, no broccoli. If I say no soccer playing, then there shall be no soccer playing. The idea that I'm not allowed to stop someone from bringing a secret gun onto my property is so ludicrous that I don't even know how to approach the other side. I would think that the pro-gun people, whose arguments tend to be deeply tied to the importance of personal property rights, would agree. And yet, clearly many don't. It really makes me feel like none of the pro-gun arguments have a thing to do with personal property rights, otherwise, they'd be eager to defend mine as well. Instead, it's just about bringing weapons everywhere no matter what.

• Like 3

I don't think you should be allowed to do much of anything on MY property if I don't want you to do so. If I say no dogs, no dogs. If I say no broccoli, no broccoli. If I say no soccer playing, then there shall be no soccer playing. The idea that I'm not allowed to stop someone from bringing a secret gun onto my property is so ludicrous that I don't even know how to approach the other side.

What makes you think you can't stop someone from carrying on your property? Trespassing laws would still apply. You might have to ask the person instead of him/her disclosing, but you can still then eject the person from your property. I don't know any responsible person, CC or not, who would refuse to leave if told to.

• Like 1

ETA: For clarity. I do not personally own a gun or have a license. Yet. But if I did, I doubt I would ever mention it to anyone. For the same reason I don't advertise where I keep important financial documents or what our bank account passcodes are or when we are going out of town. The best protection is to keep your mouth shut instead of handing people information that could allow access.

:iagree:

• Like 2

I try not to do this. I keep a small gun in my purse and occasionally forget it's there.

However, I actually am very good about remembering when there are small children in a household. I leave my bag in the car when there are kids in the home.

And especially I think of it when I am visiting the home of someone who is vocally uncomfortable with my firearm.