Menu

Please don't name your h.s. "Lastname Academy"

Imho, it might sound better if he just put "homeschooled" on the application from the beginning.   It wouldn't look like someone was trying to sound legit. 

What do you mean, "trying to sound legit?"

In my state, my homeschool is a private school. I issue the diploma, which is expected to be treated with respect by employers, trade schools, and public and private universities. (And in our experience, it has been.)

In other words, my school is legit. Legally.

• Like 9

I guess I am uncomfortable with the idea that one needs a "non homeschool sounding name" to put on applications.  After all, if I name my school in a state where we do not have to submit names (or anything else for that matter,) won't that raise red flags if they can't find any information about said school?  I think that looks fraudulent.  I put <Last name> Family Homeschool on my kids diploma and they put homeschooled on all their applications.  If I were to have made up a more official sounding name, it would not have been a known entity anywhere other than my imagination because there would be no paperwork anywhere to justify that this existed.  If an employer had a problem with my kid being homeschooled, I am sure that would not be a good fit for my kids.  Small minds and all.  

If one lives in a state that requires homeschools be named, there will absolutely be paperwork to justify it existed. Because it did. Official state forms with the name exist in some states. These forms are sometimes requested various places and are easy to obtain on the state website. Official state imprint and all.

Names are required in some states, and it is even sometimes requested "Lastname Academy" NOT be used. It seems easy enough to just choose something else when the state recommends not using "Lastname Academy". 

It truly is not meant as an offense to those who have fought for the right to homeschool if we don't use "Lastname Academy". I promise.

If one lives in a state that requires homeschools be named, there will absolutely be paperwork to justify it existed. Because it did. Official state forms with the name exist in some states. These forms are sometimes requested various places and are easy to obtain on the state website. Official state imprint and all.

Names are required in some states, and it is even sometimes requested "Lastname Academy" NOT be used. It seems easy enough to just choose something else when the state recommends not using "Lastname Academy". 

It truly is not meant as an offense to those who have fought for the right to homeschool if we don't use "Lastname Academy". I promise.

But the point of this thread was not to tell us that some states request a name different than Lastname Academy.  I would think it would be pretty easy to follow state guidelines.  

• Like 2

I also don't think it was to offend those who fought for the right to homeschool. Although, I'm still not sure how not using "Lastname Academy" does that...

Reality is that sometimes things like this matter. I think it's good that the OP called attention to it. Each family has the right to choose what they name or don't name the family homeschool. For some (most?) it will never be an issue. For others it may.

I think being aware of the possibility of problems is a good thing. Making the best possible decision based on individual circumstances is prudent. Isn't that what homeschoolers strive to do?

• Like 2

I also don't think it was to offend those who fought for the right to homeschool. Reality is that sometimes things like this matter. I think it's good that the OP called attention to it. Everyone has the right to choose what they name or don't name their homeschool. For some (most?) it will never be an issue. For others it may.

I think being aware of the possibility is a good thing. Making the best possible decision based on individual circumstances is prudent. Isn't that what homeschoolers strive to do?

I think it is fine that the OP called attention to it.  But I personally, do not think it matters.  But then I'm in a state where we are not asked to name our homeschools to begin with.  

I have never heard of a state requesting that "Lastname Academy" not be used. Do you know which state(s) has done so?

I have never heard of a state requesting that "Lastname Academy" not be used. Do you know which state(s) has done so?

I don't remember all the state regs that I read and which is which. Through the years I've read about various states and at times looked up info on recommendations for naming schools. I think it was a matter of trying to avoid having several homeschools named Smith Academy. It wasn't actually prohibited though. The state would just tack something else on to help distinguish. I don't remember what.

I will say that it's entirely possible that has changed. (Or that my memory is faulty! :tongue_smilie: )

I don't spend time researching various state regs anymore. I did that much more frequently in the early years. :) I just wanted to point out that there may be another reason not to use Lastname Academy.

Our homeschool (legally considered a private school) has no name.  We will be starting our eighth year in the fall in this nameless state.  On my Half Price Books educator discount card, it says "Homeschool".

At some point, when I have to issue a diploma, I will probably call it "Sunny Lane Academy".  Except I will use our real street name.  But maybe not. Depends on what hits me at the time.

I didn't learn this until recently, but "academy" is the historic US term for a local, fairly informal private school.  Most of them taught both boys and girls of a wide range of ages, and the subjects offered were highly variable as well, but often included some amount of classical education.   There was nothing especially prestigious about these schools, so I wouldn't assume that someone is trying to sound high-falutin' by using the word. 

This term was also adopted by the Catholic teaching sisters who came over from Europe, as a name for their private convent schools. They enrolled girls from early childhood to college age (and sometimes small boys as well), and taught a variety of academic subjects along with religion, music, and the visual arts.   The first of these was the Ursuline Academy of New Orleans, founded in 1727, and remarkably still in operation for toddlers through 12th grade.   

Given that background, I think it's one of the more appropriate words to label what we're doing here at our home address.   (Though "madhouse" might also apply. :hat: )

• Like 9

When I signed up for an educator account, Staples took it upon themselves to name us the "Loveschool" I get a lot of flak for that every time an advertisement comes in the mail. Terribly embarrassing, in part because the root of the problem was obviously sloppy handwriting on my part. I'm blushing just typing this in. Ridiculous!

Totally unrelated to naming your homeschool, but this reminds me of one time in co-op I had put down a student's name as beginning with an "N", her labels, class roster, etc... The mom corrected me and told me her name actually started with a "D". She said she never heard of the name beginning with an "N" and how did I get that name. I said I never heard of it either, but that is what she put on the application. I showed her and she said that she never realized that her d's looked like n's and she would be sure to make sure her d's looked liked d's!

(eta: I sooooo want to add apostrophes to "ds" and "ns", but I don't want to kill any kittens! Now people will be confused thinking I am talking about dear sons and wondering what that has to do with a name!)

• Like 2

(eta: I sooooo want to add apostrophes to "ds" and "ns", but I don't want to kill any kittens! Now people will be confused thinking I am talking about dear sons and wondering what that has to do with a name!)

You use apostrophes to pluralize letters and numbers, so in this case your instincts are correct. :001_smile:  You can discuss d's and n's to your heart's content without any kitty harming.

• Like 4

I know that in the past, North Carolina specifically requested that you not use your name in the title of your homeschool. I don't see that request listed on their website anymore; it looks like they've revamped the whole thing. Their current guidelines (on the NC Dept of Education website) state:

"When selecting your school name, choose an academic name appropriate for inclusion on the student's future high school diploma which would be provided by your school. Keep in mind that DNPE will NOT be able to accommodate requests later for a change of school name in the division's files."

• Like 1

Maybe this thread should have been titled:

"Don't name your h.s. "Lastname Academy" if you live in a state where homeschools are considered private schools and are required to have permanent names registered with the dept of education, but everyone else in more laidback states . . . carry on."

It's always interesting to see how much homeschool laws vary by state and how much that can impact on the attitude toward homeschoolers or the expectations of homeschoolers within that state. I can't imagine not having a formal homeschool name to provide in official interactions (people would question whether I was a legal homeschooler if I didn't provide my official name, sometimes they want the official state document w/the state seal), so it's surprising to see that people in some states could view using our legal school name as dishonest.

• Like 7

I know that in the past, North Carolina specifically requested that you not use your name in the title of your homeschool. I don't see that request listed on their website anymore; it looks like they've revamped the whole thing. Their current guidelines (on the NC Dept of Education website) state:

"When selecting your school name, choose an academic name appropriate for inclusion on the student's future high school diploma which would be provided by your school. Keep in mind that DNPE will NOT be able to accommodate requests later for a change of school name in the division's files."

I was thinking it might have been NC.

The thing is that the law in NC does not specify what you can name your school. DNPE is just making a suggestion, because homeschoolers only file a notice of intent one time, not annually, so that if parents choose a name that they later regret, there's no way to make a change. Of course, parents can put whatever name they want on their dc's diploma, since DNPE doesn't approve it in any way or ever even see homeschool diplomas, so who would know?

• Like 1

Sometimes a copy of the diploma and other verifying information is requested for applications. Being able to provide paperwork from the state and a diploma with the same name listed can be a nice benefit to have.

Huh. Never heard of that being necessary, but then even I don't know everything. :lol:

• Like 1

I've heard of a few instances when PhD's were asked for official high school paperwork for one reason or another. Other degrees didn't eliminate the need. Better to have it and not ever need it, as opposed to the reverse. It's such a simple thing to choose the name wisely in the beginning. It could be a headache later on...

• Like 2

I've heard of a few instances when PhD's were asked for official high school paperwork for one reason or another. Other degrees didn't eliminate the need. Better to have it and not ever need it, as opposed to the reverse. It's such a simple thing to choose the name wisely in the beginning. It could be a headache later on...

ITA, except that as noted, NC homeschoolers only file once; Californians file annually, so they could change their school names every year, and the only one that would "count" would be the last year. :-) I don't think Illinois homeschoolers, who are also private schools, file anything, so there would be no paper trail in that regard.

Sometimes a copy of the diploma and other verifying information is requested for applications. Being able to provide paperwork from the state and a diploma with the same school name listed can be a nice benefit to have.

This is why I am really hoping we still live here in Texas when all of my kids graduate, because there is no such thing as "paperwork from the state" here. There is the transcript that I issue and the diploma that I issue, and that is it. If I feel like changing the name on the transcript and the diploma twenty years after my kids graduate, I can just print new ones and it is completely legal.

If I fear my kids are slackers, I can graduate them from Tiny Twinkletoes Academy, with the promise to change it to something more respectable the day they attain some sort of vocational training/further education. :D

• Like 2

ITA, except that as noted, NC homeschoolers only file once; Californians file annually, so they could change their school names every year, and the only one that would "count" would be the last year. :-)...

Unless the child applied for something else earlier. We've needed official documentation aleady for situations in which PJ School would have been wildly inappropriate. ;)

Eta: Sometimes opportunity comes unexpectedly. Not needing to wait until the next year so the name can be changed to something more appropriate is a good thing.

• Like 1

ITA, except that as noted, NC homeschoolers only file once; Californians file annually, so they could change their school names every year, and the only one that would "count" would be the last year. :-) I don't think Illinois homeschoolers, who are also private schools, file anything, so there would be no paper trail in that regard.

This is why we tried to be very intentional about our name. The name cannot be changed once it is selected, so we needed something that would last us all the way through high school, and provide a professional image for diplomas and transcripts, should the need arise. Although I don't necessarily think "Lastname School" would be unprofessional. For us coming up with a unique name was a fun way to get excited about starting our school.

If you don't select a unique name in NC, the school name automatically defaults to "LastNameoftheAdministrator School." If your name is the same as another homeschool in your county, it becomes "SchoolName-LastnameoftheAdministrator." (E.g., St. George's School-Johnson.) If they still match, the state starts tacking on the administrator's initials. So that can get awkward. Easier just to choose something not already in use, IYKWIM. And something you can live with, because you're stuck with it.

• Like 3

I was thinking it might have been NC.

The thing is that the law in NC does not specify what you can name your school. DNPE is just making a suggestion, because homeschoolers only file a notice of intent one time, not annually, so that if parents choose a name that they later regret, there's no way to make a change. Of course, parents can put whatever name they want on their dc's diploma, since DNPE doesn't approve it in any way or ever even see homeschool diplomas, so who would know?

The only time I've seen it become an issue in real life is when homeschoolers decide to enroll in public or private school. It has become policy for schools to request that parents provide a copy of their "Official Non-Public School Registration Record" along with the birth certificate, immunization records, and proof of residence when enrolling in school. I assume that's to check that you were homeschooling legally. The Registration Record has the School Name listed on it so you can't really make up another name on the fly; I think that might be viewed as dishonest. High schools also require a middle school transcript on "official school letterhead".

So if "My Little Pony Academy" doesn't embarrass you, then I guess you just hand the Registration Record and the middle school transcript to the school registrar with smile. My concern would be that they wouldn't take you (or your recommendations for what classes your child should be placed in) as seriously. But if you never utilize the public schools then I'm not sure any of this would ever be an issue for you, though I think the school name might also come up if you were doing dual-enrollment classes at a community college or university within the state.

I continue to advise people to choose an academic sounding name: mom's maiden name, your street name, anything professional. Just please don't choose something silly, because you will be stuck with it. Even though nobody would ever know, I don't think I would be comfortable making up a new name for a high school diploma. If you decided down the road that you didn't want to use your homeschool name, then it would probably be better to just put "Official Homeschool Diploma" or "Official Homeschool Transcript" across the top.

• Like 1

I graduated as a homeschooler. In that state, my diploma actually comes from the state with the state name on it. There was no official name of our homeschool. For applications that ask where I went to school, I list the name of our co-op, which had a professional sounding name. Occasionally I put "homeschooled" in parentheses or something. I don't feel this is dishonest at all because I took every class of mine, except maybe one, at the co-op.

But even with all of my degrees, I do still have to list these things. It comes up mostly on formal corporate or government applications where resumes aren't sufficient or background checks where it doesn't really matter too much.

• Like 3

The only time I've seen it become an issue in real life is when homeschoolers decide to enroll in public or private school. It has become policy for schools to request that parents provide a copy of their "Official Non-Public School Registration Record" along with the birth certificate, immunization records, and proof of residence when enrolling in school. I assume that's to check that you were homeschooling legally. The Registration Record has the School Name listed on it so you can't really make up another name on the fly; I think that might be viewed as dishonest. High schools also require a middle school transcript on "official school letterhead".

So if "My Little Pony Academy" doesn't embarrass you, then I guess you just hand the Registration Record and the middle school transcript to the school registrar with smile. My concern would be that they wouldn't take you (or your recommendations for what classes your child should be placed in) as seriously. But if you never utilize the public schools then I'm not sure any of this would ever be an issue for you, though I think the school name might also come up if you were doing dual-enrollment classes at a community college or university within the state.

I continue to advise people to choose an academic sounding name: mom's maiden name, your street name, anything professional. Just please don't choose something silly, because you will be stuck with it. Even though nobody would ever know, I don't think I would be comfortable making up a new name for a high school diploma. If you decided down the road that you didn't want to use your homeschool name, then it would probably be better to just put "Official Homeschool Diploma" or "Official Homeschool Transcript" across the top.

Public schools commonly request birth certificate, immunization records, and proof of residence when enrolling any new student, whether he was previously homeschooled or not. :-) I always recommend that homeschoolers provide those things when they enroll their dc in campus schools, public or private, along with standardized test scores, even if they live in a state where homeschoolers don't have to test. If the children are 7th or 8th grade and above, I also recommend a transcript.

Of course, only in NC would a public school request a copy of the Official Non-Public School Registration Record," as only NC has such a thing. :-) And also, the public school would have no reason to verify that someone homeschooled legally. Personally, I would not comply with such a request. :thumbdown:

You use apostrophes to pluralize letters and numbers, so in this case your instincts are correct. :001_smile:  You can discuss d's and n's to your heart's content without any kitty harming.

Yeah!  So I have done it correctly up until today!  No wonder it looked funny!

Ah!  Good note for those of us non-English folks to know.

I'm sure at one point I knew it because that's the way I had always done it up until that kitten deal, then I switched without looking up rules since I tend to be one of those who reads directions only if I end up totally frustrated for a long period of time.  ;)

The Hive is worth so much info-wise!  It ought to gain us some continuing education credits if we read enough.   :coolgleamA:

• Like 3

Sometimes a copy of the diploma and other verifying information is requested for applications. Being able to provide paperwork from the state and a diploma with the same school name listed can be a nice benefit to have.

But this assumes one lives in a state where these things are even available.   In IL, there is nothing to get from the state because the state is not involved with our homeschool. We don't register.  We are "non-public" schools - the only legislation on the books is that would applies the same to private schools.  The only official paperwork my kids have is what I create - my own diploma, my own transcript (which was official enough for all of the colleges my kids have applied to, been accepted at, and were awarded top scholarships.  We issue our own diplomas.  We graduate our own students.    If someone wanted anything "more official" that from our kids, then they would be SOL.  My point is that, if someone is so uneducated or paranoid about homeschoolers that they require documentation that doesn't exist for a very large percentage of the nation's homeschoolers, then that position would clearly not be a good fit for our kids.  

• Like 5

The rules have changed over time and depend on what source you check. According to APA, that info is only partially correct. Lower case letters, yes. Upper case, no. (Ps and Qs) But a mix of capital and lower case, yes. (PhD's) and with periods, yes (M.A.'s) Numbers, no. (1980s).

http://blog.apastyle.org/apastyle/2013/11/pluralize-numbers-and-abbreviations-without-apostrophes.html

• Like 2

The rules have changed over time and depend on what source you check. According to APA, that info is only partially correct. Lower case letters, yes. Upper case, no. (Ps and Qs) But a mix of capital and lower case, yes. (PhD's) and with periods, yes (M.A.'s) Numbers, no. (1980s).

http://blog.apastyle.org/apastyle/2013/11/pluralize-numbers-and-abbreviations-without-apostrophes.html

Geez, APA! Wouldn't it be simpler if we just picked one???

:confused1:

• Like 2

But that's the style that particular organization uses. Sadly, it doesn't mean it's true for the whole rest of the world.

Personally, I will continue to use apostrophes as I was taught a gazillion years ago, lol.

• Like 1

I was home educated, and have never listed my highschool on a resume. No one has ever asked for that information in any interview. <scratches head>

I keep seeing people state that they've never put name of high school on a job application. I've had every job application that I've ever filled out have that question on there, and I'm in my 40's.

When I started homeschooling, I had a home daycare and used that name for the homeschool (see signature). When dd15 hit middle school, I realized I didn't want her to graduate from Creative Play. So at that age, she transferred to "City Name Bilingual School." We are not required to have a name by state regs, but the company I ordered from for Spanish materials required the order be from a school with a name. I've used the name for all kinds of things.

• Like 1

Thanks!  Every now and then I have to cover for an English class and it'll be nice to answer questions if there are any.  In general, in English my typical response is more along the lines of:

Student: "Does a comma go here?"

Me:  "Hmm, maybe!"  

Pending what the actual question is (the whole context of it) I may or may not be joking.   :lol:

This is WHY I prefer to be in for math/science classes (or French or Psych) where answering questions correctly is rarely an issue.

And to anyone homeschooling who wonders about being able to teach courses they aren't super knowledgeable about... the actual English portion of the ACT is one middle son aced.  It can be done.  Answer keys are VERY helpful.  :coolgleamA:   My own ACT English (and SAT Verbal) back in the Dark Ages was the worst section of my test score - still quite respectable, but not the same as my Math or Science scores.

Creekland be [sick] [sic] a math/science lover... with no regrets.

That said, I stand by what I said before at liking the info I pick up on the Hive, esp when I don't have to work for it!

• Like 1

But this assumes one lives in a state where these things are even available. In IL, there is nothing to get from the state because the state is not involved with our homeschool. We don't register. We are "non-public" schools - the only legislation on the books is that would applies the same to private schools. The only official paperwork my kids have is what I create - my own diploma, my own transcript (which was official enough for all of the colleges my kids have applied to, been accepted at, and were awarded top scholarships. We issue our own diplomas. We graduate our own students. If someone wanted anything "more official" that from our kids, then they would be SOL. My point is that, if someone is so uneducated or paranoid about homeschoolers that they require documentation that doesn't exist for a very large percentage of the nation's homeschoolers, then that position would clearly not be a good fit for our kids.

I apologize for not being clearer in my posts. I hadn't realized so many people not required to name their homeschools would be following the thread so closely. My mistake. I'll try again.

For the vast majority of people, the following will be completely, totally, and otherwise irrelevant. Please discard if it does not apply to you. Your situation is not the one I'm discussing.

If, however, you live in a state that requires you name your homeschool, it might be wise to give careful consideration to the name. Some possible situations are listed in this thread.

In the end, free to name it whatever you like. A few people have shared their experiences, but as always, YMMV.

For further clarity...

I didn't intend to imply any comment or judgement one way or the other about companies asking for information and whether or not someone should apply. I was merely stating a fact: some companies ask. Think carefully about the name.

Perhaps a thread for those who aren't required to name homeschools and/or whose states don't have official documentation would be helpful to those that find this thread irrelevant to their situations. :)

For further clarity...

I didn't intend to imply any comment or judgement one way or the other about companies asking for information and whether or not someone should apply. I was merely stating a fact: some companies ask. Think carefully about the name.

Perhaps a thread for those who aren't required to name homeschools and/or whose states don't have official documentation would be helpful to those that find this thread irrelevant to their situations. :)

No worries. Once you put something out there, discussions will meander all over the forum with complete disregard for the original intent. It's all relevant. :thumbup:

• Like 3

I didn't use "academy." Some people where I used to live got quite snooty about "academy"

I named our homeschool, but I've never used it for anything,and likely never will, it was just for fun . Our state doesn't require that it be named; I just always use 'homeschooled'.

I did use Academy for our made-up name, but I'm in good company here... our town's high school is TownName Academy. It started as a private school back in the 1700s, and retained the name when it became public.

• Like 1

For further clarity...

You're not even the OP and now you're telling us whether we can post or not in this thread?  

The OP posted a thread with general advice to all homeschoolers based on her particular situation.  Some of us were pointing out that it doesn't fit all homeschoolers in all states.  I think that is certainly valid to point out.  

• Like 1

You're not even the OP and now you're telling us whether we can post or not in this thread?

The OP posted a thread with general advice to all homeschoolers based on her particular situation. Some of us were pointing out that it doesn't fit all homeschoolers in all states. I think that is certainly valid to point out.

Once again, I apologize. I'm not sure why my posts are coming across poorly, but apparently they are. I'm sorry for any toes I've stepped on, feelings I've hurt, or sensibilities I've offended.

My only intention was to point out in some cases the name of a homeschool might need careful thought. I'm not sure how I'm botching that so much.

I didn't mean people couldn't post here. My posts are not coming across the way I intend them to, so rather than trying to explain I'll leave it at that.

I was only trying to help, which apparently I'm not doing. I see that now. Sorry.

• Like 2

Part of the problem here is that homeschoolers don't all go to college or apply for jobs in the same state in which they were educated. My kids put homeschooled under high school and it has never been a problem. Would it be a problem in another state for a job or school application? I don't know.

In a state where no one is required to name their home school, is putting a name down "hiding" the fact the applicant is homeschooled?

What about database searches where schools come up with the same name and the computer says the applicant was never a student there?

It is an interesting discussion.

• Like 3

Part of the problem here is that homeschoolers don't all go to college or apply for jobs in the same state in which they were educated. My kids put homeschooled under high school and it has never been a problem. Would it be a problem in another state for a job or school application? I don't know.

In a state where no one is required to name their home school, is putting a name down "hiding" the fact the applicant is homeschooled?

What about database searches where schools come up with the same name and the computer says the applicant was never a student there?

It is an interesting discussion.

But if you don't have a homeschool name (and weren't required to have one in your state) I can't see why an employer should require you to come up with one for their application or even your transcript.  In a state where they don't keep records of your homeschool name, then an employer wouldn't be able to use that name for anything anyway.  It would be meaningless.  So putting "homeschooled" in that slot gives them the information that they need.  

• Like 1

But if you don't have a homeschool name (and weren't required to have one in your state) I can't see why an employer should require you to come up with one for their application or even your transcript. In a state where they don't keep records of your homeschool name, then an employer wouldn't be able to use that name for anything anyway. It would be meaningless. So putting "homeschooled" in that slot gives them the information that they need.

Exactly. That is why we haven't had any problems, I think.

• Like 1

We did run into something that is sort of similar with ds' current job.  I had posted a thread about it at one point earlier this year in fact.  He was hired but it was provisional on him having union membership.  The union required something from the state that had his grade level on it.  The problem is that in our state, the state does not keep track of the grade level of homeschoolers.  We were not being stubborn - we simply could not comply.  Ds tried calling and talking to the union rep. but got no where.  So I had to step in.  I explained the situation and wrote a letter as well.  There was no problem then.  It was simply a matter of educating them.  The reason for telling you about all of this is that a state is not going to revamp their policies simply because an employer or union wants them to.  And sometimes we simply have to educate them about how homeschoolers are tracked (or not tracked).  If they are so rigid that they cannot accommodate an employee with anything out of the norm then what can you do?  I guess you either choose to put your kids into school to take away that possibility or you plan on possibly having to give up on jobs with employers like that.  

• Like 1