Menu

Do you struggle with the choice to workout?

Mandylubug

I seriously argue with myself at times that all of this working out, counting my calories, pushing myself till I feel like puking is for vanity's sake only. I then get in this mental argument on how life shouldn't be this difficult, I shouldn't have to plan out a jog, or second guess dinner because I shouldn't eat cheese. Why can't I aim to have a more naturally active life? Can't I purposefully be more active in my housework during the day, in my yardwork chores and the like. Do I really need to be so self centered with my health that I take to the road for a jog and plan out every single meal.

I only do this when I haven't worked out for a while and it is an uphill battle. I do feel better when I am jogging about 4 times a week and I crave the runs then. I crave the salads and I don't mind the planned meals. It is when I slack and then I get pissed. I then think I am putting way too much thinking into being healthy and should just enjoy life...

Am I the only one that does this? 

• Like 1

Every day. I love it once I get going and feel awesome when I finish, but getting started is a fight every time. Habit wins out - if I force myself to do it for a week or so it becomes easier to keep going.

I've never been one to tolerate repetitive or highly vigorous "exercise for the sake of exercise."  I have to say I haven't ever really tried.  :P  There are other ways to fitness that are not punitive.  Yoga is wonderful.  Just taking a walk or hike is wonderful.  TaeKwonDo would be wonderful if I could get us there more often.  :P  Sometimes I feel like doing a little more, but I don't force it when I'm not feeling it.

• Like 1

I've never been one to tolerate repetitive or highly vigorous "exercise for the sake of exercise."  I have to say I haven't ever really tried.  :p  There are other ways to fitness that are not punitive.  Yoga is wonderful.  Just taking a walk or hike is wonderful.  TaeKwonDo would be wonderful if I could get us there more often.  :p  Sometimes I feel like doing a little more, but I don't force it when I'm not feeling it.

I like Yoga at times.. Other times I get bored and just walk away. I like the PiYo workout set.. but then again, I start saying it is silly of me working out in my "cave" when there is a world out there I could just explore on a hike, etc.

I like hiking. Do we do a ton of hiking, though? Nope. We never pencil it in. So, I guess I struggle with the thought process of penciling and scheduling anything. I like to go with the flow but most of the time going with the flow equals doing nothing much of anything.

No. I don't struggle, because I have made the conscious decision not to "work out".

We hike on weekends. We bike, kayak, rock climb for fun. DH and I go for a 3 mile walk most nights. None of this is "exercise" or "workout". It's simply enjoyable activities that are part of our lives.

Scheduling gym or runs? Not happening. Life really should not be that difficult :-)

• Like 6

I used to but now if I start going down that route I tell myself

'no arguments. you made this decision, it's the right decision, just do it.'

It helps that I love to Zumba so going 3/week is just plain fun.

I don't love running but when I run I make sure to love my soundtrack so that helps.

I love walking my dogs because I love everything with my dogs & walking them is not negotiable so that gets done 2-3/day no matter what.

Yoga is the thing I skip the most but I really need to stay on top of it as I'm aging & losing some flexibility in my spine.

• Like 4

No. I don't struggle, because I have made the conscious decision not to "work out".

We hike on weekends. We bike, kayak, rock climb for fun. DH and I go for a 3 mile walk most nights. None of this is "exercise" or "workout". It's simply enjoyable activities that are part of our lives.

Scheduling gym? Not happening. Life really should not be that difficult :-)

we do a 3 mile walk at least 3 days a week. I enjoy that, except for the hill that tries to defeat me each time. But at the top of the hill is this sweet little old farm house with boarded up windows and an old horse barn. I adore standing there, in the shade after that climb, catching my breath and just imagining the stories that house has to tell.

And walking down that hill, the views are gorgeous and the trees are all in that new spring green shade of happiness. I enjoy those moments. I enjoy the creatures near the creek and watching the tall grass sway in wind inside this old field on the way back.

I don't mentally struggle with those moments. I breathe them in and want to stay there.

But these casual walks just aren't enough for me currently. I have about 45 pounds to lose. I have an A1C to keep in check and blood pressure meds to come off of. If it it could all be like the moments I enjoy, it would be so much easier.

Exercise and healthy eating are self-care. Your descriptions sound like self-punishment. :( Sometimes people can think their body deserves harsh treatment because it is overweight.  I think sometimes we "talk tough" to ourselves because we either think it's what we deserve or what we have to do to motivate ourselves. But would you talk that way to a friend? I think it's more effective to be thinking of caring for ourselves.  Maybe seeing if you can alter how you talk/think about it to be more nurturing might help.

Are you being literal when you say that you push yourself to the point of puking? If so, no wonder you hate exercising! Give yourself permission to reasonably challenge yourself, but listen to your body. Feeling like puking is not a normal response to exercise. No one I know pushed themselves that hard even in college when I played varsity sports.  If feeling like puking is normal for you, you should probably talk with your doctor. Your blood sugar might be off (do you exercise first thing in the a.m? That can make you nauseated. ), or you're working at too high of a heart rate.

Do you have a Fitbit or something like that? That does track all your steps that come about through daily living. I use one to track my "background" steps because otherwise, I would know that I walked 2 miles or did Zumba for an hour or whatever. The steps really can add up over a day and if I do little things like park further away when I grocery shop, that makes a difference. That would give you an idea if a more naturally active life is enough or if you need to add in more. (We wouldn't need to add in more if we weren't in a developed country. Survival would mean constant activity.)

As others have suggested, finding a way to make the exercise pleasant is really key to keeping at it.

For instance, that hill that is hard but has a pretty view at the top... you could use it for incentive and do "intervals" on that hill. Walk up as fast as you can, get your heartrate up, then when you are at the top, walk at an easy pace taking in the view, then go back down and up again. I have a hill in my neighborhood that is quite steep and I walk up and down about 5 times. Interval training enables you to really get your heartrate up for a short period of time, then you can rest  (exercise at a slower pace) for as long as you need to recover. So you're never pushing yourself longer than about a minute. The research is really compelling that this pattern gives you the most bang for your exercise buck. So you can do intervals and get more impact than a longer period of straight jogging.

Trying out other forms of exercise to see if there are a few more you can enjoy.  You can look around on youtube and check out different forms of dance, yoga, step aerobics, Pilates, whatever... it's on there.   I love Zumba and so it's not hard to get myself to go even on days when I'm already tired. I love to hike outside, and my older sons will usually go with me. The beauty plus the exercise is really rejeuvenating for me. But I putter around on Youtube and try out other stuff.

If you have a friend you can exercise with, that gives you a double-helping of health: exercise plus socializing.

I think it's a mistake when we develop "enemy" foods. Eat a lot of healthy foods and an occasional slice of cheese is a good thing. :)

• Like 2

Exercise and healthy eating are self-care. Your descriptions sound like self-punishment. :( Sometimes people can think their body deserves harsh treatment because it is overweight.  I think sometimes we "talk tough" to ourselves because we either think it's what we deserve or what we have to do to motivate ourselves. But would you talk that way to a friend? I think it's more effective to be thinking of caring for ourselves.  Maybe seeing if you can alter how you talk/think about it to be more nurturing might help.

Are you being literal when you say that you push yourself to the point of puking? If so, no wonder you hate exercising! Give yourself permission to reasonably challenge yourself, but listen to your body. Feeling like puking is not a normal response to exercise. No one I know pushed themselves that hard even in college when I played varsity sports.  If feeling like puking is normal for you, you should probably talk with your doctor. Your blood sugar might be off (do you exercise first thing in the a.m? That can make you nauseated. ), or you're working at too high of a heart rate.

Do you have a Fitbit or something like that? That does track all your steps that come about through daily living. I use one to track my "background" steps because otherwise, I would know that I walked 2 miles or did Zumba for an hour or whatever. The steps really can add up over a day and if I do little things like park further away when I grocery shop, that makes a difference. That would give you an idea if a more naturally active life is enough or if you need to add in more. (We wouldn't need to add in more if we weren't in a developed country. Survival would mean constant activity.)

As others have suggested, finding a way to make the exercise pleasant is really key to keeping at it.

For instance, that hill that is hard but has a pretty view at the top... you could use it for incentive and do "intervals" on that hill. Walk up as fast as you can, get your heartrate up, then when you are at the top, walk at an easy pace taking in the view, then go back down and up again. I have a hill in my neighborhood that is quite steep and I walk up and down about 5 times. Interval training enables you to really get your heartrate up for a short period of time, then you can rest  (exercise at a slower pace) for as long as you need to recover. So you're never pushing yourself longer than about a minute. The research is really compelling that this pattern gives you the most bang for your exercise buck. So you can do intervals and get more impact than a longer period of straight jogging.

Trying out other forms of exercise to see if there are a few more you can enjoy.  You can look around on youtube and check out different forms of dance, yoga, step aerobics, Pilates, whatever... it's on there.   I love Zumba and so it's not hard to get myself to go even on days when I'm already tired. I love to hike outside, and my older sons will usually go with me. The beauty plus the exercise is really rejeuvenating for me. But I putter around on Youtube and try out other stuff.

If you have a friend you can exercise with, that gives you a double-helping of health: exercise plus socializing.

I think it's a mistake when we develop "enemy" foods. Eat a lot of healthy foods and an occasional slice of cheese is a good thing. :)

Thank you for your response. I will admit to being slightly exaggerative. However, I have been known to push myself till I am close to being sick and that is while doing intervals. I like the push, the drive, the just one more round of bleachers while I am doing it at times. It is just the starting that I hate. The choice to plan out the time to get out there and do it. The interrupt the normal flow of my day to stop what I am doing, lace up and head out the door. I am not one to like obligations. I don't like stopping what I am doing to do something else..even with notice. I'm just weird :p I like to gradually flow and transition through life I suppose. Easy go lucky, anything goes but just not a sudden change in pace for the day :p I'm sure that is clear as mud.

We live 30 minutes from town. So taking classes isn't an option I am willing to do. When I was doing my best at staying fit, I was jogging 2 miles in the morning alone and meeting friends at the high school track (15 minutes away) for four miles 4 days a week. I like it while I do it. It is just the motivation. The planning of it. I get mad at myself when I get in a good groove and something stops that routine and motivation. Seems harder to jump back into that routine when it is interrupted.

eta the bolded above: I would love to do more hands on outdoor chores. I love working at something, even hard labor when I am doing something for a purpose. I adore cutting the grass. I see what I have accomplished. I mentally don't argue with that activity. It has a purpose and I have no issue penciling time for cutting the grass, or weeding the garden. It feels productive. I suppose if I pencil in my runs as something like self-care, etc. that didn't feel selfish and self-centered in the grand scope of things perhaps I wouldn't fight too much with the thought. I like to ponder on my day's plans and what I NEED to get done for the day. The chores with a large family are always never ending. It is easier to say I don't have time to jog. I need to do this or that. It feels less interupptive of my day to just continue with something productive.

• Like 1

T I suppose if I pencil in my runs as something like self-care, etc. that didn't feel selfish and self-centered in the grand scope of things perhaps I wouldn't fight too much with the thought. I like to ponder on my day's plans and what I NEED to get done for the day. The chores with a large family are always never ending. It is easier to say I don't have time to jog. I need to do this or that. It feels less interupptive of my day to just continue with something productive.

Ok, if you need help on the "Exercise is selfish" score, I am guessing that you are much younger than I am. (I'm pushing 60.) So here are some factors that become more slaient with age. Exercising is long-term a very unselfish act that enables you to care for others and yourself longer and makes it much less likely that others will need to take care of you.

Do you want to be mobile as you age? Be able to babysit for your grandkids? Significantly decrease your risk of  major diseases such as heart disease or cancer? Signficantly reduce your chances of dementia? The exercise you do  now affects all those things, and sooner than you might think. Additionally, your mood will likely improve with exercise which also affects those around you right now.  How's that for unselfish? ;)  And for 30 min per day investment , that's quite a  payoff. I think that counts as productive!:)

• Like 6

No. But I refuse to work out.

Can I ask - do you struggle with weight or Is it for physical fitness?

Must you work out? (I'm currently depriving myself of sugar and its resulted in 14.5 pounds gone since mid March, NO working out.) I'm very active but not exercise.... It feels like so much effort without reward that I don't think I'd do it without somebody poking me with an electric prod.

• Like 1

If I were in your position, I'd do the interval training on the hill suggested by the PP.  I can mostly persuade myself out for a walk and then I hit any hills I can find.

If outdoor chores make more sense to you, perhaps you need a higher-maintenance garden.  I've shovelled, moved and re-shovelled 100 wheelbarrows of compost in the last ten days......  Maybe you could have the most immaculately-turned compost bin.....  Or you could volunteer to cut the grass for elderly or frail people.

• Like 1

Because of joint/orthopedic issues, I either work out or my mobility begins to decline.  I'm at high risk for osteoporosis too.

I went to the gym by myself for years, and it was fine but I started finding excuses not to go.  Then we switched to another gym, and I began to work out with my son.  I hated the first six months and had the "dreads" every time, particularly because I started going to a weight class that was hard for me.  But he helped me find the motivation.

And six months later, I started enjoying it.  Sometimes you just have to overcome those feelings and get some success; that's my theory.  I've lost a fair amount of weight and am much stronger and more mobile. That's worth it.

I exercise to keep my sanity and to sleep better, exercise is just part of my day. I don't mind it most days. It's only 30 min-an hour or so of my day, then it's done like the wash or cleaning the bathroom or the vacuuming. Etc

Right now, I'm struggling with NOT working out due to an injury. :-(

I do struggle during the winter b/c my preference is to hit the gym, but I hate driving in bad weather.  If I had the money, I'd add a gym onto my house and doubt I'd ever struggle to use it.  But that's not going to happen!

I think it is certainly easy to bring the desire to lose weight and be fit in the vanity realm (whether or not that is good depends on your own thoughts), many of the real life fitness "role models" we see are certainly past the point of just being fit and healthy (of course that is their choice and as long as they are not going through any crazy unhealthy methods to do so more power to them), we also know from research that cutting weight and body fat is only healthy to a point but of course for many we do need to lose weight and we do need to be more active. 

Now, as to taking the time to do that, I understand that. I've been working out in the am now that I'm sleeping better and it isn't an interruption to the day. I also added in some yoga classes, starting them at the same time as my 2 oldest had something of their own going on, so yet again it didn't interfere with family time. Now we also do walking but we do that as a family so it is in the family schedule and no big deal. We had got to where we were doing 2+ hrs a day and then I don't know what happened but it stopped and it took me awhile to get into the groove again because I was like I don't have enough time but now I just look at doing what I can, some days we have an hour plus and some days we get 10 min in, usually 1 day of each in a week and most days are 30-40 min but whatever we get in is good. You'll just have to figure out what schedule works for you and implement it and stick to it until it becomes the new normal.

As to what to do, I don't do things I don't like, period. Life is too short. But when starting or restarting anything you have to go through the phase where it is hard and awkward. I find that I have to do something that is easy enough I feel I can succeed but challenging enough to be stimulating, it is a fine line! I think and have advocated that people can stay and get in good shape never hitting a gym and I firmly believe that but whether or not any particular person has an active enough life is a question they have to answer for themselves. Unfortunately or fortunately these days many people have to be very conscious and purposeful to make sure they have enough activity to their day to be healthy and strong. 

I find these days I have the desire more than the time and it is freaking awesome. I had too long of not enough energy and now I have energy and I am just thrilled to have it again, so being active and exercising are taking up a good portion of my time and energy and I'm ok with that. I do lots of yoga, hiking and some strength work. I love rock climbing but there isn't anything close so that is a rare treat for me.

Good luck finding you a new schedule :)

With 40 lbs to lose for health reasons, the time shouldnt be considered as taking away from family....Mom needs to be healthy so the family can function well, so fam needs to see that Mom has enough time to herself to become and stay healthy.

I second the fitbit idea...and get on myfitnesspal for inspiration. These tools will help you. Meeting a friend is a great idea. Also consider something you can do indoors at home, even if its stairclimbs. Does your 12 year old run as part of his training? If so, you can go out with him.

He jogs with his daddy. I track my steps/speed with my smartphone. I wear an arm strap. Already on myfitnesspal. Motivation is all I lack I suppose.

I've been working out regularly for the last 6 weeks or so.  My main motivators are very selfish.  The gym has cable, and it has child care.  At this point in my life, doing the elliptical for an hour while watching HGTV is something akin to a miracle/a vacation/the best break evah.  So, I go.  When my kids complain, I make them go anyway.  It's that worth it to me.  Those things have not been motivators in the past, though, but I just got to a place where I was tired.  So I changed it up, and it's working well for me.

I enjoy a variety of exercising, but not to the point of puking. If I felt that way I would never do it! Why don't you do something you like, or can at least stand, that doesn't make you want to vomit?  What are you doing anyway?  Are you doing something like 'Insanity' at full tilt? 

I don't enjoy being in nature. Or rather, I don't hate it, but I am massively allergic to most of it, lol. So, a hike sounds nice once or twice a year but regularly...nah.  A bike ride?  Pass. A nice walk? Sure, but I live in the NE and the window of when it is nice for walking is diminishing small. We go from schools closed due to extreme cold to breathing warnings due to humidity and heat pretty quickly. And, modern life, at least mine, doesn't give much time or practical reason for lots of movement. So, plan to exercise I must. It is simply one of the responsibilities of owning a body, lol.

It is difficult to get back on track. Absolutely it is. And you already know you feel better when you are making the effort, and that is half the battle. I have worked over the years to find lots of options I like..or can stand, lol. I own a nordic track, I jog when the weather is nice, I have lots of exercise DVDs, I work out with dh, we own a small set of handweights, I take the occasional yoga class, I fine TONS of free exercise videos on youtube, I try lots of different things such as yoga, pilates, weights, barre, dance cardio, Zumba. I give myself options so it's never same old, same old.

What if you sign up for a race?  DH and ds1 have signed up for a 'spartan' race in September. I personally think they are craaaaaazzzyyyy but they are psyched to spend the spring and summer training for it.  Looks like too many burpees and climbing walls, but it got dh out of his exercise funk and now he is all excited again.

I like my runs, but often find that I dislike getting started.

I am also like you in that I don't like the interruption for the day. However, I do like the thinking that I do when I am running. I can solve problems and plan very effectivly when I am jogging.

I don't feel that I am selfish to do this. I know I am calmer, more energetic, happier and healthier when I am running consistently. That benefits everyone.

I enjoy a variety of exercising, but not to the point of puking. If I felt that way I would never do it! Why don't you do something you like, or can at least stand, that doesn't make you want to vomit? What are you doing anyway? Are you doing something like 'Insanity' at full tilt?

I don't enjoy being in nature. Or rather, I don't hate it, but I am massively allergic to most of it, lol. So, a hike sounds nice once or twice a year but regularly...nah. A bike ride? Pass. A nice walk? Sure, but I live in the NE and the window of when it is nice for walking is diminishing small. We go from schools closed due to extreme cold to breathing warnings due to humidity and heat pretty quickly. And, modern life, at least mine, doesn't give much time or practical reason for lots of movement. So, plan to exercise I must. It is simply one of the responsibilities of owning a body, lol.

It is difficult to get back on track. Absolutely it is. And you already know you feel better when you are making the effort, and that is half the battle. I have worked over the years to find lots of options I like..or can stand, lol. I own a nordic track, I jog when the weather is nice, I have lots of exercise DVDs, I work out with dh, we own a small set of handweights, I take the occasional yoga class, I fine TONS of free exercise videos on youtube, I try lots of different things such as yoga, pilates, weights, barre, dance cardio, Zumba. I give myself options so it's never same old, same old.

What if you sign up for a race? DH and ds1 have signed up for a 'spartan' race in September. I personally think they are craaaaaazzzyyyy but they are psyched to spend the spring and summer training for it. Looks like too many burpees and climbing walls, but it got dh out of his exercise funk and now he is all excited again.

I was my happiest jogging 5 days a week in mornings, walking or jogging 4 miles four times a week in the evenings.

I do own Insanity and can usually stick with it for a month but then get bored. Same with PiYo..I like it a ton as well but I get bored. I just don't like working out in a class or indoor setting. I can for a while and get bored, itching to get outside. Feels like I am stuck in my cave when I should be outside enjoying the world. I also tend to do better with fewer options. I can usually commit to one and the others fall away. I have had more consistency with jogging. I've been able to keep at it and commit to it the most.

Sometimes.

Not in the way you're describing, though.  For me, it's more just the 'getting up and doing it' part.  

I've found that I LOVE TO RUN.  Seriously.  I know maybe it seems like I'm just saying that, but I do.  I totally love it.  However, in order to get going and become steady at it, I have to run with someone.  I started running in 2013, and asked a friend to train for a 5k with me.  We met 2-3 mornings a week at 6am.  I would not have made it getting up at 6am all by myself on a regular basis.  Nope, nope, nope.  I'm not a morning person!   :lol:  But that's the best/easiest time to run, so that's when I try to go.  Knowing she was going to be there, too, made it a lot better.  

When we finished up the 5k, it was getting too dark outside to run at 6am.  For awhile I tried going at different times of day, but it was much harder doing that.  Then I came and ran on the treadmill at work once and HATED it  - I'd run on treadmills before and meh... not a huge fan but whatever.  However, here all there is to look at is yourself in full wall mirrors :lol: ...they don't have a tv OR EVEN one of those little ledges for me to sit the ipad on to watch something!!!  So... I fell off the wagon.  Stopped running for the winter, but kept telling myself I'd start back up (this time with Link) come spring.  

That didn't happen, either.  He and I ran a few times, but, lo and behold, when the other person you're running with is your kid (or maybe anyone in your own household lol), the drive to make sure you get out there isn't the same as it is when you're meeting someone else.  We even committed to a 5k, but never trained for it and ended up not running it because of scheduling conflicts.  (So committing to a 5k doesn't spur me on, either...)

This year, I'm back at it.  Different friend this time (the other one moved :crying: ), and we're working our way up.  Sure, right now we can only run and walk in 4/2 intervals for a 30 minute stretch, but each day we're making progress.  And as soon as we started back I was SO happy.  I really do love to run, but I hate the feeling of being 'unable' to - you know, the first-starting-out-can-barely-make-it-2-minutes unable to.  

Friday and today I woke up easily at 6:15 (we run at 6:30) instead of having to drag myself out of bed.  I'm not saying it'll always be like that, but I'm starting to get in the habit and once that happens, it gets oh-so-much-easier.

ETA: Oh, and FWIW, my friend and I are signed up for a Blacklight Run in June which we are SO totally stoked for!  I'm also hoping to do a family mud run (DH won't do it, but Link will.  Astro and Pink... Idk, we'll see) in July, as well as a 5k that includes some paddling downriver in July also... maybe a Color Run in September, an 'Insane Inflatable 5k' in October... and my plan as of right now is, after our 5k in June, to start working myself up to do a half marathon in November.  We shall see... :D

• Like 2