Menu

Art Supplies

purplejackmama

What's your favorite source for art supplies? Specifically, canvases, paints, watercolor paper, etc.

My kids LOVE to paint. Love it! But, I'm cheap, and I don't buy them nearly enough supplies because of the expense. I hate this, and I want to be more accommodating.

So tell me, where do you buy supplies?

Dollar store!

There are canvases there, and art books.  Cheap!  There are paintbrushes.  They're not great quality, but how old are your kids?  Will it hamper them?

There are acrylics there, but they're the bottled craft kind, and they're hit-and-miss.

• Like 2

Joann's Fabrics I'm impressed with the stuff I find there.  It is good beginner quality.  I'm also impressed with unusual art items they have available on the shelf or via website.

Jerry's Artarama: a nice selection, but probably better quality and more expensive than the ages/abilities of my children.  I've bought tube watercolors, palettes, and brushes from there.  JoAnn's is cheaper and a better fit for where my children are at. 

Artful Parent: does not sell art supplies, but makes recommendations.  Here is her blog post on paper.

---------------------------------------------

We are recently inspired by Artree, an online art magazine for kids.  Past issues are only a couple of dollars each, or you can get an annual subscription for $10.  The projects push us out of our comfort zone of just painting or drawing to create unusual pictures using new materials and new techniques.  It doubles as "art education" because it profiles an artist each month.

• Like 4

Dick Blick. I've never heard of Jerry's, so I'm off to explore there site right now😄

We have a brick&mortar Jerry's the next town over.  It is my 12 yo daughter's favorite place on earth!  I've never ordered from them online but the physical store has good prices (some a bit higher than Blick, some a bit lower) and great sales.

• Like 1

ebay. Yep ebay. I bought all our art supplies at once and got compared prices for hours in a spreadsheet. I did end up ordering items from: Amazon(watercolor paper), Jerry's(had an awesome coupon, like 30% off I think) and ebay (brushes, tubes of watercolors). But I bought in quantity to last the year. If only one or two items at a time are needed, I think Joann's or Micheals with coupons would work.

We have a brick&mortar Jerry's the next town over. It is my 12 yo daughter's favorite place on earth! I've never ordered from them online but the physical store has good prices (some a bit higher than Blick, some a bit lower) and great sales.

Jerry's site is awesome! Look out, Dick Blick, now I have options. It turns out there is a Jerry's Artarama store about an hour away from here. Unfortunately it is a small one without "most of the unique items" online. Pfffft. No fun wanderings through acres of affordable art supplies for us!

• 1 month later...
Guest zahur

What's your favorite source for art supplies? Specifically, canvases, paints, watercolor paper, etc.

My kids LOVE to paint. Love it! But, I'm cheap, and I don't buy them nearly enough supplies because of the expense. I hate this, and I want to be more accommodating.

So tell me, where do you buy supplies?

:hurray: My favorite source for art supplies is http://www.artistsupplysource.com  :hurray:  I found here canvases, papers, books/DVDs, paints, etc. in a very competitive price.  :iagree:

For what age kid?

Up to at least age 10, I just buy tempura paints and Crayola watercolors and markers.  

For paper, I get large size white construction paper at the teacher store.  

I do splurge on watercolor paper and better drawing tablets, but I try to get those on sale, or with a coupon (JoAnn, Hobby Lobby, and Michaels always have 40% off coupons available)

I have acrylic paints when they get older, and I buy small canvases (again, on sale or with coupon).  I have bought cheap, ugly paintings at the thrift store (framed), and allowed my dd to paint over them.  You can often find them cheaper than a new, large canvas.

Love Dick Blick, but it's kind of like Target...can't shop there and not spend $75-100. ;)

I find stuff at Target, Walmart, Dollar Store, and Joanne's.

Friend whose an art teacher loves Sargent brand products.  You can get them at Blick, but also DiscountSchoolSupply.com