Menu

Vote for a Woman on the $20 Bill!!!

chiguirre

Do you remember our discussion of the worst presidents and how many agreed that Andrew Jackson had no right to be on our $20? Well, now you can do something about our currency. This website: 

http://www.womenon20s.org/spread-the-word

is advocating for putting the portrait of a trailblazing woman on the twenty. You can vote for three candidates in the primary.

Sooo...

GET OUT THE VOTE!

• Like 15

Andrew Jackson is a terrible person to put on money.

He needs to be replaced.

Ever since I read about Jackson in elementary school I get a giggle out of the president who most hated the US Bank being on a commonly circulated bill.

Seeing as he has been on the twenty less than 100 years I have zero problem booting him off.

• Like 4

I think it would be a great idea to have one of America's Women Presidents on the $20.

Oh wait, we haven't had one (yet :D)

Maybe that situation is even more important to rectify than who's face is on the bills.

Just saying.

Bill

I do think it is important not to have the guy who signed the Indian Removal Act be recognized on currency.

I would rather it be nearly anyone but Andrew Jackson. Why not John Adams? He didn't murder NAs and he didn't own slaves either.

• Like 2

I think it would be a great idea to have one of America's Women Presidents on the $20.

Oh wait, we haven't had one (yet :d)

Maybe that situation is even more important to rectify than who's face is on the bills.

Just saying.

Bill

When my older son was studying a list of Presidents when he was a tiny person he was like "wait, why are all of these people men?"

• Like 5

What do you know offhand about Andrew Jackson?

In 1814 we took a little trip,

Along with Colonel Jackson down the mighty Mississip.

We took a little bacon and we took a little beans,

And we fought the bloody British in the town of New Orleans.

We fired our guns and the British kept a comin',

There wasn't 'bout as many as there was awhile ago.

We fired once more and they began to runnin'

On down the Mississippi to the Gulf of Mexico.

Oh we looked down the river and we seen the British come.

There must have been a hundred of 'em beatin' on a drum.

They stepped so high and they made their bugles ring.

We stood behind our cotton bales and didn't say a thing.

Old Hickory said we could take 'em by surprise,

If we didn't fire our muskets till we looked 'em in the eyes.

We held our fire till we seen their faces well,

Then we opened up our squirrel guns and gave 'em a little...well...we...

...fired our guns and the British kept a comin',

We fired our cannons till the barrels melted down,

Then we grabbed an alligator and we fired another round.

We filled his head with cannonballs and powdered his behind,

And when we touched the powder off, the gator lost his mind.

In the Battle of New Orleans Old Hickory showed he was good at killing all sorts of people.

Maybe a woman wouldn't be such a bad idea.

Bill

• Like 2

What do you know offhand about Andrew Jackson?

It would be nice to see some other Americans featured on our money. That said, it's not a main political issue for me.

You're seriously going to quiz me on this? :glare:

I made a statement. I have no interest in debating about it.

You're seriously going to quiz me on this? :glare:

I made a statement. I have no interest in debating about it.

If you had no interest in discussing the matter or explaining your apparently inflexible position, why bother posting in the thread? I was curious about your opinion and what your basis for that was. On a light enough topic. Perhaps lighten up a little?

Andrew Jackson is a weird pick for that bill. He was placed on the bill possibly due to partisan preferences to honor the first Democratic president and he vehemently opposed paper money (not just the national bank), enough that warning against paper was part of what he chose to include in his farewell. Perhaps he's on the bill because Congress decided to have a sense of humor? It's an interesting bit of historical trivia.

If one can only do dead white presidents on bills, why not put either Roosevelt or Eisenhower on there instead? Eisenhower got a lowly $1 coin and FDR is on the dime but no love for Teddy at all and he's a pretty standout President all things considered.

• Like 7

Does it have to be a president? We have a scientist, a mountaineer, a suffragette, the Queen and an explorer. And how come you guys haven't had a woman president?

We have only had a few non-presidents featured on money. Alexander Hamilton (regrettably best known for dying in a duel with Aaron Burr) and Benjamin Franklin are each on a bill. Off hand Susan B. Anthony and Sacajawea have been on coins (not widely used.) I'm pretty sure one of the high denomination notes which is not used has a non president. But mostly, yes, we put Presidents on money.

ETA- it was going to wake me up remembering it later so I looked and the only high denomination bill with a non-president is the $10,000 note with Solmon Chase (Supreme Court Justice and defender of escaped slaves, among other things). This makes me a somewhat formidable quiz night opponent but underscores that I am in fact a big nerd who files away useless information.

• Like 4

I can't say that I think Margaret Sanger is a great person to put on money either.

No kidding.  Or Betty Friedan, for that matter.  I could see some of the others, but honestly I think there are bigger issues in the US right now than whose face appears on the $20 bill. 

Agree that Jackson seems an odd choice but I don't know why he was chosen in the first place.  

• Like 1

I would have said why bother switching things around since we're moving away from using cash, but then I went and found this chart:

http://www.federalreserve.gov/paymentsystems/coin_currcircvolume.htm

How strange to me that our printed money supply increases each year, despite the use of credit/debit cards and electronic transfers.  It seems like it should be decreasing.

It interests me, because I can see it being one of those subconscious impressions things; I heard an interview yesterday that said on TV, if there are four characters, one is a female, and if the characters are scientists, only one in fifteen is female.  (I have no data to back up their assertion; they were from the White House Science office).  Their concept was that kids need to see women around them doing big things in order to subconsciously grasp that they might also do so. 

It does say something about us that no women are on our most common money.

Why haven't we had a woman as president?  I doubt I can talk about that without being political, but I really really really really hope we will at some point soon!  (And, please, a smart, awesome one..... c'mon guys!  Run somebody good!  This is a bipartisan plea.)

• Like 4

My sister was convinced her toddler was a genius. She taught her this song as one way to prove it. ?? Anyway, I spent the longest day of my life in the backseat with a 3 year old singing this repeatedly. I thought I would lose my mind.

That's hilarious. Not for you, not at that time but in general.

• Like 1

I could see some of the others, but honestly I think there are bigger issues in the US right now than whose face appears on the $20 bill. 

There are bigger issues, but this one is relatively easy to fix and someone else has already done the groundwork. There are plenty of worthy candidates, pick the ones that you like.

• Like 1

I can't say that I think Margaret Sanger is a great person to put on money either.

I don't know why they chose the people they did. The absence of some with the inclusion of others is pretty strange.

Why is Jane Addams not included? Nelly Bly?

They could have included authors such as Ursula K. Le Guin or Virginia Wolf. Why isn't Ida B Wells on the list?

Were there other lists that people voted on previous to this? When writing these little bios IMO they should include controversial issues as well so people who might not be as familiar with some of these names might make more informed choices.

• Like 1

I would have said why bother switching things around since we're moving away from using cash, but then I went and found this chart:

http://www.federalreserve.gov/paymentsystems/coin_currcircvolume.htm

How strange to me that our printed money supply increases each year, despite the use of credit/debit cards and electronic transfers.  It seems like it should be decreasing.

I would guess that the use of printed money will not decrease until poverty decreases. The less money you have, the more you tend to use cash. Many banks require a minimum amount in the account at all times or they impose fees, and there are many other obstacles. 

There also costs to using cash, but it is often what works when you are in a tight spot. 

Yes a woman belongs on a $1000 bill. I say we create one just for that purpose.

I would vote to have your avatar cat printed on money. It would make me smile every time I opened my wallet.

But the dog people would probably have something to say about it, and then the rat people and the ferret people would start chiming in, and the next thing you know the snake and lizard crowd would want in on the action, and the mouse, gerbil, and hamster contingent would demand their own money, too.... ;)

• Like 1

I would vote to have your avatar cat printed on money. It would make me smile every time I opened my wallet.

But the dog people would probably have something to say about it, and then the rat people and the ferret people would start chiming in, and the next thing you know the snake and lizard crowd would want in on the action, and the mouse, gerbil, and hamster contingent would demand their own money, too.... ;)

But only the cat people matter.

• Like 2

I do think it is important not to have the guy who signed the Indian Removal Act be recognized on currency.

I would rather it be nearly anyone but Andrew Jackson. Why not John Adams? He didn't murder NAs and he didn't own slaves either.

Andrew Jackson's betrayal of the Cherokee has always bothered me so much and I've hated that he's on such a common denomination of money. I'm also an ABJ voter more than a "woman on the bill" voter, though that would be nice.

I voted for Rosa Parks, Harriet Tubman, and Clara Barton. Does the site show totals somewhere?

• Like 2

I would guess that the use of printed money will not decrease until poverty decreases. The less money you have, the more you tend to use cash. Many banks require a minimum amount in the account at all times or they impose fees, and there are many other obstacles. 

There also costs to using cash, but it is often what works when you are in a tight spot. 

I can see that.  It's still odd though.  Looking at the chart, the denomination with the biggest yearly increases is the $100 bill.  It seems like that would be the least used bill, but it's second in volume only to the dollar.  Many places won't even take a bill larger than a $20, and even then they'll whip out a counterfeit marker to check it.

I'm sure there's a reason for it.  It just looks weird on the chart.

I can see that.  It's still odd though.  Looking at the chart, the denomination with the biggest yearly increases is the $100 bill.  It seems like that would be the least used bill, but it's second in volume only to the dollar.  Many places won't even take a bill larger than a $20, and even then they'll whip out a counterfeit marker to check it.

Well, I can tell you my parents' reason, I'm not sure how much you can extrapolate from their insanity, lol. 

They do have a bank account, but they also keep cash on hand. $100 bills are their "saving" cash, because it is harder, mentally and practically, to spend them. They will break a twenty before they break a hundred. They really don't want to break the twenty, because once they do they will spend it all. 

Does your head hurt yet? You're welcome. 

• Like 1

The 100s are used overseas as a store of value. For example, if we take currency for dh's parents in Latin America, it's in 100s. There are a lot of people worldwide with some Benjamins stuck under their mattresses.

• Like 1

Andrew Jackson's betrayal of the Cherokee has always bothered me so much and I've hated that he's on such a common denomination of money. I'm also an ABJ voter more than a "woman on the bill" voter, though that would be nice.

I voted for Rosa Parks, Harriet Tubman, and Clara Barton. Does the site show totals somewhere?

I was thinking that I would like to see Harriet Tubman on money, but I didn't know she was on the list of possibilities. I will have to go vote now!

• Like 1