• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

Survival means that you're one of the fittest.   ;)

Or lucky.

Getting ready to read The American Plague, Molly Caldwell Crosby. I'll let you know how it compares to The Ghost Map. This book recounts the Yellow Fever in Memphis in 1878. Should be interesting.

• Like 4

I just spent a good chunk of my day watching The Abolitionists on PBS.  Really fascinating and informative (if you like documentaries).  I was previewing it for my high schoolers.  Ds15 groaned when he realized that he was going to have to watch it.  I will probably let them skip some parts of it -- it's 2 1/2 hours.

For those who are wondering about content:  a few language issues, a beating scene, and photographs of war dead.

*Obligatory educational post.

• Like 4

The thesis is ultimately shaky because the writer isn't committed to it.

Ordinarily, pride (that which drives the character to make amends) would be seen as a good thing. Does pride make her reluctant to admit fault? In which case shame is more responsible than pride. 

The character was ultimately responsible for her fate because shame kept her from admitting the loss of the necklace.

Better? Substitute false pride if you like.

ETA: That would be my take on it. 

ETA again: Tex won the hair lottery.

This is the false pride sort of thing, but these young lads and lasses are not quite there yet in differentiating that so I kept it simple in the Seven Deadly Sins pride sense of the word.

This is from one of my better writers, but he suffers from what many of my students suffer from, which is being imprecise.

The students had to choose between fate or the protagonist's personal character being responsible for her problems/downfall.  I gave the students a model to follow which began "Fate/her character was responsible because..."  The model was listed in the curriculum.

Many of these students have had limited writing instruction, and this curriculum is about models (IEW-inspired) so I have stressed using the models when writing thesis statements.  Some of them are truly not yet developmentally capable of forming true opinions on these topics.  Some are.  It really is just a developmental stage, and I have students straddling this line.  I don't really mind, though.  In fact, I think I like it.  I'm good at differentiating the instruction based on their skills/abilities.  Probably, if asked, they would all say they don't give a rat's butt about what caused this fictional character to lose ten years of her life to hard labor. :lol:   For this assignment, they have to pretend to care.

Thoughts on the thesis....

What does he mean by "Her character was responsible"  ?  responsible for what?  I think "her character" is either awkward, vague or both.  Why not just say "Her pride was responsible for unnecessary years of hard labor because it prevented her from admitting the loss of the necklace."

Now, understand, I am SOOOOOO NOT a literature person.  But is there even enough to prove there?

These are questions that I would have had if I did not know the specific instructions given and the models used to demonstrate thesis statements.  I think I kind of answered this above.  

I do have 1 or maybe 2 students (out of 9) capable of writing beautiful thesis statements with loose instructions and no model.  But therein lies my problem.  I really heart this little class.

Edited by texasmama
  • Like 5

Oh.my.word.  Angie is hilarious.  I love her. 

Watch me.

There is no eye shadow police.

:lol:

(If I tried to do that, I would end up looking like her other eye....  :leaving: )

I don't even wear eye shadow but maybe once a month, and I love her!  I have no eye shadow skills.

Stayed inside all day. Because sinus headache. I'm cooking rice to eat straight, because no groceries, because sinus headache.

:grouphug:

• Like 1

I made seven healthy fruit and veggie smoothies in the vitamix and put them in mason jars and froze them for the young lady with cancer because her mom is trying to improve her diet to boost her body up for this battle.  The young lady is just precious and has such a good attitude. Her mom asked me for advice on grain free, dairy free, sugar free recipes.  I told her to google simple paleo recipes.  I will keep making smoothies if she likes them/wants them.

Honestly, I don't know much about cancer, but I have a medical brain so I have offered to go with them to take notes at the oncologist appointment.  If they want me there, I want to make a notebook decorated with stickers and her name and "Cancer Cure Notebook" on it.  That is really her style.  My husband is very upset about this situation.  

• Like 5

Many of these students have had limited writing instruction, and this curriculum is about models (IEW-inspired) so I have stressed using the models when writing thesis statements.  Some of them are truly not yet developmentally capable of forming true opinions on these topics.  Some are.  It really is just a developmental stage, and I have students straddling this line.  I don't really mind, though.  In fact, I think I like it.  I'm good at differentiating the instruction based on their skills/abilities.  Probably, if asked, they would all say they don't give a rat's butt about what caused this fictional character to lose ten years of her life to hard labor :lol:   For this assignment, they have to pretend to care.

Probably you are right. :laugh:

ETA: I have not worn eye shadow in many, many years. The last time I tried, my eyes swelled up and I looked like a tree-frog. Nope, nope, nope! Won't do it!

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 5

So, dd16's meds finally came in to the pharmacy. I had waited a week before calling the clinic on Friday, and found that the doctor hadn't put the order through.

Anyway, so it looks as if one of the creams could potentially kill her of complications if she develops hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal (HPA) axis suppression. It freaked her out a bit. I told her it's reversible with stopping use. She's using fluocinonide and calcipotriene. These are expensive meds. Makes me glad medicaid is paying.

• Like 2

Good Morning!!!  We made it to "Humph" day!

Tex, you are doing a great job with your class.  You are doing the exact thing I don't know how to do - taking students through the awkward intermediary steps to improve their skills along the way to the end goal.  But I'm honored you said you would have had the same questions not knowing the assignment.  Maybe I can at least be a good editor someday.   :lol: 

• Like 4

Good Morning!

Dh is taking my dad to an appointment in Louisville this morning. He got his eye last month, and it is beautiful. It moves right with his good eye, and the exact same color. Dh said it was painted right there in the room with them, and she matched the colors exactly. She complimented him on his eye color of course. He has the most beautiful sky blue eyes. He is a big flirt too. It is always entertaining taking my dad somewhere. He is so easy-going, and fun to talk to. Dh enjoys taking him. I don't like driving in the city. So I will stay home.

I hope everyone is feeling better.

• Like 11

I believe I am feeling better today. I slept many hours yesterday, and still slept almost 8 hours last night. Goodness.

But I cannot be sick, because hula is coming up in a couple of days, and I have an appointment with the endo tomorrow to confess to him that I did not go to the Mayo Clinic (which he recommended instead of raising my NatureThroid strength by one grain) and that I am, in fact, taking *all* of the NatureThroid he prescribed (three different prescriptions, not supposed to be taken together, because we started with one, and then he prescribed another to take instead of the first, then he prescribed a third to be taken with the first. Clear as much? Yeah.). He will either fire me, or I will fire him, or--best case scenario--he'll be glad I'm feeling better than I have in years and let me stay here.

Anyway. I have some laundry to do today, but otherwise I'll still be taking it easy.

That is all.

• Like 7

Ellie--you go have the best labs you've ever had and go show that endo! 

We are having an emergency cleanup session at our house. Youngest took a tube of lipgloss and squirted it all over the floor and danced in it while I was in the shower.  She also got into all of the puzzles and board games on a shelf.  I don't think she started off trying to make a mess, but she did a thorough job of it.

• Like 8

Ellie, hope you're feeling better. And, you're the one who's been recommending "His California Story" for Calif. History, right? Well, we're starting that with dd and I love it. Thanks for the rec!

Yes, it was I. And a factoid: I knew the author personally; in fact, I was one of the people who helped proof the first edition. I think my name might be in the acknowledgement. :-) I *loved* proofing that book, because since I am not a native Californian, most of my knowledge of Calif history is of the politically correct variety, and her book gave me a whole new perspective.

• Like 4

Yes, it was I. And a factoid: I knew the author personally; in fact, I was one of the people who helped proof the first edition. I think my name might be in the acknowledgement. :-) I *loved* proofing that book, because since I am not a native Californian, most of my knowledge of Calif history is of the politically correct variety, and her book gave me a whole new perspective.

I used "Our Golden California"'with the boys, but I like this one better. And I get to read all the wonderful novels that go with California history. Right now we're reading "Blue Willow" by Doris Gates, which is, in my opinion, one of the most beautiful children's books ever written. I fell in love with that book in 4th grade when my teacher read it to us and every time I've read it since it I am amazed at what a simple and entirely unsentimental, yet wise and beautiful story it is.
  • Like 4

My niece was born last night!! 7.5lbs, 19in

Eleanore (Elle) 

My mom woke me up at 12:00 and I was freaking out thinking someone had died. I forgot we were expecting a baby. 

https://drive.google.com/a/g-apps.monett.k12.mo.us/file/d/0B-vfofiiVglYY0prZXhEbTRGWlk/view?usp=sharing

My grandmother's name was Eleanore, and my niece is named after her.  She goes by Ellie.

• Like 5