Menu

Ignore this thread!

Caught up.

Happy belated birthday wishes.

Glad those that were sick are getting better, and hope those that are sick follow the same plan.

Can I just go on a rant about who on this green earth thinks it is "normal" to be able to listen and follow a conversation in a crowded, noisy place?!!?! It's not normal. Nobody does it. They fake it. You learn the proper ways to nod and pretend you have paid attention, then you promptly go and forget what you might have heard. Faking it might be an art form, but what ever happened to looking a person in the eye and saying, "I can't listen right now. It is too loud in here." Nobody should ever, EVER, be made to feel that it's wrong to request a quieter environment for the purposes of understanding what is said. :rant: Thank you. 

It's a real thorn in my side.  (I've been told that I'm an Aspie--not sure about that, but I can completely relate to the irritation and aggravation I feel when someone attempts to talk to me with other people trying to talk over us. I simply refuse to have a conversation in that mess. I go out or tell the person to table it-we'll talk later.)

I have no snow. It should get up to around 50 today.

I am wondering how Buddy is feeling today.

ETA: The rant is directed at noisy society in general, not you wonderful folks who understand the value of quiet spaces.

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 7

In the interest of the book club, I wish to recommend The Ghost Map, by Steven Johnson. It's the story of the cholera epidemic in London in 1854, some of the first epidemiologic work done with disease, where it was used to disprove the miasma theory. Excellent story, and the author quotes liberally from Dickens to describe the setting.  A lot of primary source material in there. 

Genre is nonfiction, narrative history, medical mystery.

• Like 6

Caught up.

Glad those that were sick are getting better, and hope those that are sick follow the same plan.

Can I just go on a rant about who on this green earth thinks it is "normal" to be able to listen and follow a conversation in a crowded, noisy place?!!?! It's not normal. Nobody does it. They fake it. You learn the proper ways to nod and pretend you have paid attention, then you promptly go and forget what you might have heard. Faking it might be an art form, but what ever happened to looking a person in the eye and saying, "I can't listen right now. It is too loud in here." Nobody should ever, EVER, be made to feel that it's wrong to request a quieter environment for the purposes of understanding what is said. :rant: Thank you. 

It's a real thorn in my side.  (I've been told that I'm an Aspie--not sure about that, but I can completely relate to the irritation and aggravation I feel when someone attempts to talk to me with other people trying to talk over us. I simply refuse to have a conversation in that mess. I go out or tell the person to table it-we'll talk later.)

ETA: The rant is directed at noisy society in general, not you wonderful folks who understand the value of quiet spaces.

Quoting to LIKE it again! 

• Like 2

I still see a poodle, but now it appears to be smoking. Ducks, I'm not sure what to think of your taste in towels.

That's okay.

I have an aerial photo of Jerusalem on my family room wall, and when I wake from a nap on the couch and open my eyes sideways squinting at it, I swear that either Abraham Lincoln or Ronald Reagan is staring back at me.  The president depends largely on which eye is open.  

• Like 5

Caught up.

I have difficulty hearing people in crowded restaurants, too.  I often leave noisy parties hoarse because I was trying to hear and be heard.  I will work with ds on saying, "I can't hear in here.  It's too loud."  The overly friendly younger brother of his friend jabbering about whatever he was jabbering about was not crucial information, but at some point, he will need to hear what someone is saying in a crowded environment.  I will talk to him today about some things discussed here so I'm glad I brought it up.  Also, I want to normalize the experience of frustration of trying to have a conversation in a loud environment.  Chili's (restaurant) is just awful.  Who can hear anything in there?

• Like 4

Home from church now. I believe there will be school here tomorrow.

Waiting for football. I'm usually not interested, but I am today.

I'm looking for a good book to read. I like historical novels. Both Churchill and The Ghost Map sound interesting.

I hope Mr. Ellie is feeling better. :grouphug:

• Like 2

Good morning! Checking in on vacation because addiction to ITT. Thank you for the birthday wishes. 48 doesn't seem too different from 47. The weather is gorgeous. The ocean is perfect! Had a delicious broiled red snapper dinner at our favorite restaurant here in Morro Bay - Dorn's. Now we're going to the Shell Shop to get presents for the kids and drive up the coast to Cambria, which is another charming coastal town and goof around a bit before we have to head east toward reality!

• Like 8

I quite often cannot hear clearly over ambient noise.  If it is a short sentence that is predictable ("You want fries with that?") I can handle it.  If it is a long drawn out thing, then I can't.  Sometimes I do the "smile vacantly and nod" thing but sometimes, esp. if I really care what the other person is saying, I will draw them over to the side where it is quieter or ask if we can talk later.  Some of it is he amount of stimuli other than just sound.  If the place is "noisy" with stimuli, then my attention gets broken up with the distractions and I can't "hear".  Sometimes I can force myself to concentrate and block that other stimuli out.  Sometimes I can't. 

• Like 5

How's Mr. Ellie feeling today?

He's feeling much better, thanks. We went out for lunch (I drove the car), and then we shuffled through the grocery store, then we came home and named through "Despicable Me." We were supposed to go to a friend's house tonight for a singalong, but she and her sister have health issues such that we wouldn't want to take a chance that Mr. Ellie is at all contagious, so we'll stay home. He's pondering staying home from work tomorrow to rest and heal some more because he's supposed to lead a Gideon thing tomorrow night. We'll see.

• Like 8

Did school. Did laundry. Ate leftovers. Went to get chicken food and hay for nesting boxes. 

I didn't say, but DH had a banner day at the racetrack. We are still trying to figure out what special thing we are going to get for ourselves with the winnings. :001_smile:

• Like 6

Picked up my "adopted" daughter to go to church. Again, felt old realizing that this 20 year old could really be mine. After church, went to eat, then PetCo to get more fish. Took "add" (appropriately named, btw) back home, and now I caught up on ITT.

• Like 4

Yay Peyton Manning!

So excited that I had to quote you twice. I liked him when he was the Colts QB just because he was the Colts QB. Then he was injured and had surgery, and the Colts got rid of him before he had a chance to prove himself*. That upset me. So now I am a Bronco fan, but mostly a Peyton Manning fan.

*That may not be what exactly happened. I don't follow it that closely. But that's the way I see it.;)

• Like 2

Well, back to reality! But, I must say that was the best 31 hours I've had in years. Just having an uninterrupted conversation with dh was worth it all! We got a lot talked out. Nothing bad, of course, but... just life stuff, you know? Stuff about the kids and future goals and education of said children. Stuff you need more than 15 minutes here and there in the midst of all the chaos to process through and discuss. And then of course the views, good food and beautiful weather. I am a happy woman!

• Like 7

Ds and I have been watching football together all season.  He usually wants me to root for the opposite team.  However, I know that he hates the Patriots as I do, so I told him that we were both rooting for the Broncos.

Now we're at halftime of the Carolina/Arizona game.  Neither of us really care about either of the teams, so he's rooting for Carolina and I'm rooting for Arizona.

It doesn't look good for me...

Going on media blackout 'til the end of the game.  We're recording the game, so we may not get to the second half right away.

• Like 2

Oh, and I finally ordered Conceptual Chemistry. After comparing what should have been completed by now, and how much was actually completely, it was definitely the best choice. I'm still working on math.

Is this similar to Conceptual Physics? But with Chemistry? I took a class with Conceptual Physics as the text and loved it.