Menu

Ignore this thread!

You guys are probably too young to have gone through this, but when I was a child in the 70's these End Times movies came out "a Thief in the Night" and "A Distant Thunder" and they showed them in the churches. They were all about the rapture and the Mark of the Beast and how they guillotined the people who became Christians after the rapture. Boy, talk about traumatic. It took me years to not have bad dreams after seeing those movies.

I actually linked to those on the "Satan page". I watched them in the late 80s, but they were still traumatic. *shudder* 

Leaving you guys. Dd and I are going out for our celebratory dinner at Olive Garden to celebrate her finishing up 7th grade math. She has now gone from 2 years behind to only 5 months behind.

*obligatory educational post.

ETA a missing word

Ooooh, I love Olive Garden!
  • Like 1

Leaving you guys.  Dd and I are going out for our celebratory dinner at Olive Garden to celebrate her finishing up 7th grade math.  She has now gone from 2 years behind to only 5 months behind. 

ETA a missing word

What an amazing advancement! Congrats! Definitely worth a celebration dinner. Enjoy. :)

• Like 1

Leaving you guys.  Dd and I are going out for our celebratory dinner at Olive Garden to celebrate her finishing up 7th grade math.  She has now gone from 2 years behind to only 5 months behind. 

ETA a missing word

I should try this.  If I went to Olive Garden every time one of my kids finished a subject, I could go at least once a month.  Super idea!!  (Unfortunately, it would kill the budget and we wouldn't be able to afford the next book.)

• Like 3

You guys are probably too young to have gone through this, but when I was a child in the 70's these End Times movies came out "a Thief in the Night" and "A Distant Thunder" and they showed them in the churches. They were all about the rapture and the Mark of the Beast and how they guillotined the people who became Christians after the rapture. Boy, talk about traumatic. It took me years to not have bad dreams after seeing those movies.

I had to come back and say that I forgot all about the guillotine parts. CREEPY

I had to come back and say that I forgot all about the guillotine parts. CREEPY

And that's the most specific thing I remember. Lol. I remember the basic premise of the plot, but nothing really specific..... Except the guillotine. Who on earth would recommend those movies to families anyway? Crazy!
  • Like 1

How old were you when you read it? I read it in college for a children's lit course, so it wasn't any worse than Hunger Games or Divergent to me. 

I read them in college, too.

Ds15 read it a few years ago; dd13 read it this year.  Dd11 is much more sensitive.  I'm not planning to let her read it for several years yet.

I haven't read Divergent or Hunger Games.

I haven't read Divergent or Hunger Games.

I was reading them when I was sick of reading school texts. I was also working from home, and so could pull all-nighters reading the series. I thought they were pretty good. Oh, I borrowed them as ebooks from my library, or I never would have got them.

ETA a missing word

Yummy!  I like to get the salmon with broccoli on the side.  And then I feel like I ate healthy on top of having something yummy. 

• Like 2

I was reading them when I was sick of reading school texts. I was also working from home, and so could pull all-nighters reading the series. I thought they were pretty good. Oh, I borrowed them as ebooks from my library, or I never would have got them.

Yeah, I'd better wait, then.  I cannot go to sleep if I don't know how a book ends.

Except Frankenstein.   :lol:  And Don Quixote.  

• Like 3

We are home from Pep Band Invitational and Basketball game. We got first place at the Invitational. It was great and a good time was had by all. However, I am thoroughly exhausted, and my feet hurt. Ima shower and bed.

So happy we survived page 666 (aka The Satan Page). :lol:

Edited by Openhearted
  • Like 6

I liked The Giver a lot. I discussed it in the co op lit analysis class I led.

Frankenstein is not a hard read. The letters are boring but the rest is not bad. It won't break your brain. Did you look at my syllabus, Renai? :D

Went to dinner with the fam. I don't think dinner out is worth the price, if you ask me.

#cheapskate

#thestruggleisreal

I think it did break my brain.  Maybe that's the cause of my headaches?   :lol:

Actually, I think it's the lack of dialog that did me in.  Long descriptive writing is difficult for me.  I had a hard time with Tolkien, for instance, until I saw the movies.   :leaving:

• Like 3

I liked The Giver a lot. I discussed it in the co op lit analysis class I led.

Frankenstein is not a hard read. The letters are boring but the rest is not bad. It won't break your brain. Did you look at my syllabus, Renai? :D

Went to dinner with the fam. I don't think dinner out is worth the price, if you ask me.

#cheapskate

#thestruggleisreal

I don't think Frankenstein will be hard for me, just boring. I did start it, but didn't get past the letters. It was about a year ago.

Of course I read the syllabus. Twice.

HICCUPS

Ds20 has been hiccupping an obscene amount since yesterday's wisdom teeth removal. The nurse said it is a common thing for some people from the anesthesia. He said he hardly slept all night. He can generally get rid of them OK/eventually using the usual techniques, but they keep. coming. back.

The struggle is real.

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 3

I don't think Frankenstein will be hard for me, just boring. I did start it, but didn't get past the letters. It was about a year ago.

Of course I read the syllabus. Twice.

I don't think it is boring.  And boring is hard.  The letters are boring.

You lie like a rug about my syllabus.  And it is really gorgeous, too.

• Like 2

In Renai's email inbox. If you want it, you can have it. I rewrote the spring semester and sent her only that part, since that is the part relevant to her. Send me your email addy if you want to ogle it. It will be tomorrow though because on my phone now.

Don't worry about it.  Ds15 has more than enough English lit this year.  I just thought that I had missed a post.  No need to do extra work since I won't be using it.  I just like to look at syllabi...   :D

#Englishgeek

• Like 1

Read the Giver. Meh. I don't care for dystopia. I have not read the Hunger Games or Divergent. I find that kind of unpleasantly bitter fiction to be like a green bell pepper. I don't like their flavor and would never want to eat one raw. I like a very little bit, well roasted or cooked and appropriately mixed with tastier things.

• Like 1

The crib sized trundle came this week but I was too tired to do anything about it. Today I emptied the mega blocks bin into the trundle because they were overflowing and used little bins we already had to organize the toys only John plays with in the former mega blocks bin under the bed. Now Mary's and shared toys fit nicely on the bookshelf and I was able to put some of the most used books in their room making our bookshelves look nicer. Now they should have a much easier time keeping their room clean. It's been chaotic since Christmas.

Eta: All toys are under the bed or on the bookshelf. It's a small room.

Edited by Slache
  • Like 4