Menu

Ignore this thread!

Mary, I knew we had switched (me:  Assembly of God to Independent Baptist; you Independent Baptist to Assembly of God) but I had forgotten when the switch occurred.

In my church, it seemed like every Sunday there was a sermon about the end times.

I am glad to have moved on from that.

• Like 3

So, the other day, our electrical outlets stopped working. We've been without outlets in the living room, guest room, dd's room, and dining room. It's an OLD house, so all of them were on the same wires. 
Anyway, our landlord tried to fix it, his construction buddy tried to fix it, and finally the electrician was able to come out this morning. He traced all of this to the wall behind my washing machine - on the opposite side of the house. Anyway, he had to cut into the wall and found this: https://www.instagram.com/p/BAU8EMVTPg7/?taken-by=maryrenee

Whoever did the remodeling in the 80s just decided to take the new wiring and old wiring and duct tape them together, rather than getting a junction box to connect them. It is a miracle that 1) it didn't start a fire the night it blew and 2) that it has never caught fire. 
This wasn't even up to code in the '80s! If the house had caught fire and the fire dept found this as the source of the fire, insurance would have denied the claim. 

The electrician said the rest of the wiring looks good, but dang - it's scary to know that there can be something so dangerous hiding in the walls. 

• Like 1

I think the devil is too far gone.

My friend who took me to dinner and a talking thingie last night thinks the best of everyone. I joked with our other friend that she would say, "Let's pray for the devil. He's just doing the best he knows how." :lol:

Oh I read this book (novel?) once long ago called "The Sorrows of Satan" which essentially told the story of how sad it made Satan feel for having to do and convince people to do all that bad stuff. Poor, poor little devil!

• Like 2

Mary, I knew we had switched (me:  Assembly of God to Independent Baptist; you Independent Baptist to Assembly of God) but I had forgotten when the switch occurred.

In my church, it seemed like every Sunday there was a sermon about the end times.

I am glad to have moved on from that.

That and how to refute evolution. And, my pastor also liked to preach about how Independent Baptist churches were the only New Testament church, so if you were a member of any other church, then you wouldn't be part of the marriage feast in Heaven. 

I was very young and sheltered when we saw those (maybe 7-9), very shy, and very terrified of anything happening EVER. I was an incredibly anxious child, hating letting my parents out of my sight. Once, my dog died (hit by a car) and my mom was making me stay inside and wouldn't tell me why. I immediately thought that the people from those movies were coming to take me away. I was probably 8 or 9. Scared me to death.  :crying:

• Like 1

That and how to refute evolution. And, my pastor also liked to preach about how Independent Baptist churches were the only New Testament church, so if you were a member of any other church, then you wouldn't be part of the marriage feast in Heaven. 

I was very young and sheltered when we saw those (maybe 7-9), very shy, and very terrified of anything happening EVER. I was an incredibly anxious child, hating letting my parents out of my sight. Once, my dog died (hit by a car) and my mom was making me stay inside and wouldn't tell me why. I immediately thought that the people from those movies were coming to take me away. I was probably 8 or 9. Scared me to death.  :crying:

We didn't even talk about evolution.  It was all rapture all the time.  Except when it was speaking in tongues...

:crying: Sorry about your childhood fears.  I didn't go to church much when I was that young.

However, I remember crying one night because I thought I had missed the rapture.  I was in high school  I had mouthed off to my mom that morning and hadn't asked forgiveness yet.

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

• Like 1

However, I remember crying one night because I thought I had missed the rapture.  I was in high school  I had mouthed off to my mom that morning and hadn't asked forgiveness yet.

I remember not being able to find my parents and nearly having a panic attack because I thought I missed the rapture. 

They were in the garden. lol 

• Like 1

We didn't even talk about evolution.  It was all rapture all the time.  Except when it was speaking in tongues...

:crying: Sorry about your childhood fears.  I didn't go to church much when I was that young.

I remember not being able to find my parents and nearly having a panic attack because I thought I missed the rapture. 

Dd16 reminded me of when she texted me one morning from her room to ensure she hadn't missed the rapture and I was still there. She says, "Sheesh, what us Christian kids go through."

• Like 4

Hugs to all who are traumatized by overzealous pastors.

Hugs to all who are traumatized by thinking about the mark of the beast.

Hugs to all who are traumatized by growing up in the 80s. I must hug my younger self.

I am gonna rock and roll all niiiight... And party every day.

Ah the memories of KISS in the 80s. And to whoever brought up playing the record backward... You have given me a walk down memory lane. Sitting in my room with my little friends and our record collections. Playing KISS backwards.

And you all wonder why I am messed up lol.

I also had wondered why my inbox was so full of notifications. You cruised through that page. You have my thanks for your sacrifice :bowing:

Edited by Professormom
  • Like 10

Was wondering if he would be ready yet for Beast. I couldn't remember. He's not there yet, though.

Thanks for the tip, though!  Beast might be a great supplement for him in the future.  I've never looked closely at it until now.

And at our current rate, he will be ready for Beast 2 at about the time it's released.   :lol:   (j/k.  Sort of.)    

• Like 1

Well stink! I go to the grocery store and miss all the Mark of the Beast fun!

I know, right????  I was at little dd's bball game, and they dealt with Satan without us!

Thanks for the tip, though!  Beast might be a great supplement for him in the future.  I've never looked closely at it until now.

And at our current rate, he will be ready for Beast 2 at about the time it's released.   :lol:   (j/k.  Sort of.)    

It's Satanic because it has the word "beast" in it and the little guys are monsters.  (There are people who really think that.... :huh: )

See how nicely I segued those two topics.

Edited by texasmama
  • Like 8

I worked on financial stuff, end of year filing stuff, laundry, dishes, changed my bed, school assignment sheets.....  I think that's it.  I should go get gas in my car before it gets crazy cold, but I probably won't. 

Oldest ds came in 1st for high school and 2nd ds tied for 1st for 6th-8th grade at the chess tourney.  :thumbup:

• Like 11

Tex had nothing to say about all the unicorn theology I spouted on 665. :(

I want to take the opportunity to say that I read every word of Renai's unicorn theology and understood it not.  However, I defer to the greatness that is the mythical creature theology, and it beats the devil every day and twice on Sundays. :hat:

• Like 5

I did watch the exorcist. I was like 6 and my grandmother was like "oh good, a Christian movie."  :smilielol5:

:ack2: :eek: :svengo:

Once my children and I spent some time with my mother. She and her dh lived in a single-wide, two-bedroom mobile near Seattle. My dc were 2ish and 5ish. So one night she had some friends over and rented a movie. It was RoboCop. gory. bloody. gross. LANGUAGELANGUAGELANGUAGE. There was NO WHERE for me to take my children, so I just sat there and prayed that God would protect their poor ears and eyeballs and sensitivities. The next day (because I didn't want to bring it up in front of her guests) I asked why she rented an X-rated movie knowing that two young children would be right there. She didn't know what "X-rated" meant :huh: , and she said, "Well, it had a nice story." :ohmy:

• Like 2

:ack2: :eek: :svengo:

Once my children and I spent some time with my mother. She and her dh lived in a single-wide, two-bedroom mobile near Seattle. My dc were 2ish and 5ish. So one night she had some friends over and rented a movie. It was RoboCop. gory. bloody. gross. LANGUAGELANGUAGELANGUAGE. There was NO WHERE for me to take my children, so I just sat there and prayed that God would protect their poor ears and eyeballs and sensitivities. The next day (because I didn't want to bring it up in front of her guests) I asked why she rented an X-rated movie knowing that two young children would be right there. She didn't know what "X-rated" meant :huh: , and she said, "Well, it had a nice story." :ohmy:

My mother in law had the kids watching anger management and called me overprotective for making her turn it off. They were 1 and 3. I admit PG13 is better than X BY FAR, but John repeated everything he heard!

• Like 2

You guys are probably too young to have gone through this, but when I was a child in the 70's these End Times movies came out "a Thief in the Night" and "A Distant Thunder" and they showed them in the churches. They were all about the rapture and the Mark of the Beast and how they guillotined the people who became Christians after the rapture. Boy, talk about traumatic. It took me years to not have bad dreams after seeing those movies.
  • Like 3

You guys are probably too young to have gone through this, but when I was a child in the 70's these End Times movies came out "a Thief in the Night" and "A Distant Thunder" and they showed them in the churches. They were all about the rapture and the Mark of the Beast and how they guillotined the people who became Christians after the rapture. Boy, talk about traumatic. It took me years to not have bad dreams after seeing those movies.

Yep - I remember them. I am old. :D

Edited by Susan in TN